Quantcast

Hugh Masekela tells the story behind those Tiffany's blood diamonds

baladar

genius lives only one story above madness....
Reaction score
Reactions
214,482 3,494 976
Alleybux
My father loves this song. This song stayed on the playlist on road trips whether people liked it or not!

Voets3k

Would rather be rejected than disrespected
Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
My father loves this song. This song stayed on the playlist on road trips whether people liked it or not!
Lmao!!! Growing up, I didn't care for it either... But once I hit my late teens, I felt like it was such an important reminder of where we come from

baladar

genius lives only one story above madness....
Reaction score
Reactions
214,482 3,494 976
Alleybux
Lmao!!! Growing up, I didn't care for it either... But once I hit my late teens, I felt like it was such an important reminder of where we come from
Same. Same case with Lucky Dube.

DELARENTA

Scorpio
Reaction score
Reactions
7,151 368 210
Alleybux
@FebenzaGhel are you okay with Beyoncé using blood diamond (for her Tiffany add) or you don’t care? I would like to have your opinion on this since you South African (if you don’t mind) .

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
@FebenzaGhel are you okay with Beyoncé using blood diamond (for her Tiffany add) or you don’t care? I would like to have your opinion on this since you South African (if you don’t mind) .
I'm not mad at Bey or Jay... I'm mad at Tiffany's, De Beers, Aglo-Platinum etc... But I think that this is another situation that demonstrates, how much we need to firstly educate ourselves about history. And most importantly examine, what these western symbols of wealth, affluence and success mean to/for us, based on that history. I get that you want to stand alongside Audrey Hepburn, whom I love btw, and I get that bling is part of Hip Hop as a culture, which I love even more. But are we also perpetuating and celebrating our enslavement, exploitation and mistreatment by the west, by doing all this stuff? ... I'm not bothered that Bey was wearing that necklace, I'm bothered that she was unaware... But overall, I think everyone was doing too much, by dragging her. Her and Jay aren't the problem

DELARENTA

Scorpio
Reaction score
Reactions
7,151 368 210
Alleybux
I'm not mad at Bey or Jay... I'm mad at Tiffany's, De Beers, Aglo-Platinum etc... But I think that this is another situation that demonstrates, how much we need to firstly educate ourselves about history. And most importantly examine, what these western symbols of wealth, affluence and success mean to/for us, based on that history. I get that you want to stand alongside Audrey Hepburn, whom I love btw, and I get that bling is part of Hip Hop as a culture, which I love even more. But are we also perpetuating and celebrating our enslavement, exploitation and mistreatment by the west by doing all this stuff... I'm not bothered that Bey was wearing that necklace, I'm bothered that she was unaware... But overall, I think everyone was doing too much, by dragging her. Her and Jay aren't the problem
I agree completely!

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
I agree completely!
@FebenzaGhel but isn't disingenuous for her whole Africa is King mantra to wear a blood diamond. If they knew about Basquiat and Tiffany's, why would they not know the history of the diamond? This was a signed collaboration.

Just like Jay Z likes being pandered to with the Basquiat painting, surely Beyonce loved the idea of being the first African American woman to wear it. They simply didn't consider that there would be any negative kickback.

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
@FebenzaGhel but isn't disingenuous for her whole Africa is King mantra to wear a blood diamond. If they knew about Basquiat and Tiffany's, why would they not know the history of the diamond? This was a signed collaboration.

Just like Jay Z likes being pandered to with the Basquiat painting, surely Beyonce loved the idea of being the first African American woman to wear it. They simply didn't consider that there would be any negative kickback.
Hence I say, we need to re-examine what we consider as "making it," because she wanted to be the first black woman to wear it. But inadvertently ended up celebrating the very brutal and savagely way, that diamond was obtained... I understand what you mean in it being likely that they were aware of the history behind how Tiffany gets these diamonds. But I personally think they were too ignorant, I think her and Jay didn't care to know tbh... I've said this once and I'll keep saying it, celebrities are glorified prostitutes. They endorse all kinds of nonsense, only because they align their images with powerful organisations, for money... And a lot of time, it's without knowing. Which I honestly think they didn't...

Eta: she might do the whole Africa thing, but she's still Beyonce and still a celebrity... This isn't surprising... But I still think people were doing too much, because Audrey Hepburn and Lady Gaga have worn the same diamond necklace

Mantsho

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,122 13,156 9,082
Alleybux
Hence I say, we need to re-examine what we consider as "making it," because she wanted to be the first black woman to wear it. But inadvertently ended up celebrating the very brutal and savagely way, that diamond was obtained... I understand what you mean in it being likely that they were aware of the history behind how Tiffany gets these diamonds. But I personally think they were too ignorant, I think her and Jay didn't care to know tbh... I've said this once and I'll keep saying it, celebrities are glorified prostitutes. They endorse all kinds of nonsense, only because they align their images with powerful organisations, for money... And a lot of time, it's without knowing. Which I honestly think they didn't...

Eta: she might do the whole Africa thing, but she's still Beyonce and still a celebrity... This isn't surprising... But I still think people were doing too much, because Audrey Hepburn and Lady Gaga have worn the same diamond necklace
I agreed with you until you mentioned two white women as your parallels. Not the same at all. The Audrey's are like the Queen of England, they could care less about Africa as long as they get to enjoy the spoils.

They don't even pretend to preach from the same hymnbook. Being pro African is Beyonce's schtick.

People always excuse her every time she "borrows" others work. Either she's not very bright or very slick. Great marketing ploy though.

media.gif

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
I agreed with you until you mentioned two white women as your parallels. Not the same at all. The Audrey's are like the Queen of England, they could care less about Africa as long as they get to enjoy the spoils.

They don't even pretend to preach from the same hymnbook. Being pro African is Beyonce's schtick.

People always excuse her every time she "borrows" others work. Either she's not very bright or very slick. Great marketing ploy though.

View attachment 2850846
True... But I still feel as though Lady Gaga should've atleast gotten a little bit of backlash. But I understand, this is the conundrum Beyonce had put herself in...Nna I'm nonchalant about it, because I embraced the truth about celebrity culture a long time ago. And if you know me, I've never been 1 to defend Beyonce just because

ananda2

Sheer Purrrrfection
Reaction score
Reactions
90,231 1,864 549
Alleybux
I love this song! I had the great privilege of seeing him perform it live and getting his autograph.

He was an amazing musician.