I’m a Black Man living in China... AMA

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
tumblr_msjzqdmmOB1r0ftodo1_400.gif

I hope you keep this same energy towards Black Brits and Nigerians.

I don't get your point? please explain

Haobei

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Well, since you officially joined LSA. WELCOME!!!!! :b20:b20
This thread is making me want to plan for my next vacation: Italy.
Hey thanks. Hopefully they'll stop requiring 14 days . What cities were you thinking ? What apps do you use

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
This sounds true because I remember when this was posted on LSA .It is Chinese peoples stereotypes of the African continent.
china_africa_map.jpg

Eritrea = Beautiful women

I see no lies.

I am just glad that people are finally talking about racism against AFRICANS in CHINA.

CarseyWerner

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
38,897 3,207 3,937
Alleybux
I don't get your point? please explain
Many receive the same preferential treatment in the U.S. after leaving their homeland, and use that to tell AA's/ADOS "I'm Black but that's not my experience."

You can't silently benefit from being a foreign Black in America but become vocal, because Black Americans receive better treatment in other countries. I guess we're not allowed to catch a break anywhere.

edamame_bee

Kinda Girl You Are
Reaction score
Reactions
131,874 3,578 1,063
Alleybux
How was Taiwan? How long did you live there? Any fun experiences?
I lived there for 2 years and it was an interesting experience. I stayed there for study and worked a bit under the table as an english teacher at a cram school so my experience is different from someone who went there straight up for work. I liked it because there was a lot of variety in terms of food and travel was affordable, but the air pollution was something to get used to. One interesting thing was the fact that the culture is a bit two faced in the sense that they'll be like "yeah sure, we should do x" but in reality they don't particularly have intentions of following up lol. I mean I get it, but at the same time it's like "ok...". I'm a fairly tall woman so I had a lot of random chinese tourists asking me for a picture, I didn't like that. Everyone else minded their own business but they were just unsubtle about it, like one lady straight up came across 3 lanes of traffic to ask me for a picture when I was waiting for a bus.

In terms of travelling, I did a lot by myself and I had a good time doing it. Once you get a translation and a bus/mrt station app it's easy to get by in larger cities like Taipei/Taichung/Kaoshiung, and if you can ride a bike (I can't) it's even easier because there's a system where you can rent an e (electronic) bike and you just pay when you return it. Smaller cities though, a guide is definitely needed. Travelling was also convenient because there's a card you can put money on and it pays for pretty much everything - bus fare, food, train fare etc.

I think my most memorable moment was going to the new year's celebration at Taipei 101. It's like times square in that when you go it's absolutely packed - and there's no wifi at all due to all the people so you absolutely need a plan. My first year going my friends and I couldn't get a train to go home and we ended up walking halfway across the city to get to the one train station that was still open. We were all drunk as hell and the trains are punctual (even waiting a little longer because of new years) so we nearly missed it. The next year we just decided to go to a club afterward lol

Working at a cram school is straight up basura though, the "white/dancing monkey" stereotype is real - the hours are sh!t and they want you to basically act like a kindergarten teacher for kids who "have great english" but can't speak a word because of all the foreigners who came, worked for a year or so to fund their trip through asia and left. It may be different now, but at the time (2015-2016) if you were a white person they would throw money at you to try and impress students. Of course it's a bit different if you're applying at a proper school, but for cram schools being white was a definite advantage - even over Asian people coming from America etc who spoke fluent English.

Overall, the people were nice to me because I made an effort to learn mandarin and spoke to them with it even though my pronunciation was terrible. Can't remember sh!t now though.
/novel

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
Many receive the same preferential treatment in the U.S. after leaving their homeland, and use that to tell AA's/ADOS "I'm Black but that's not my experience."

You can't silently benefit from being a foreign Black in America but become vocal because Black Americans receive better treatment in other countries. I guess we're not allowed to catch a break anywhere.

Nah, I like that Black Americans are catching a break, but to say there isn't racism in China because Black Americans don't experience it as much as Africans, is ridiculous.

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
This black American YTer who is married to a Chinese woman living in China said his wife explained to him that that's one of their biggest racist moves.

yep that's how I took it, forget that, you ain't getting no pics, f out of my face with that.

mamagotback

Go be great in your Lavender
Reaction score
Reactions
29,565 611 237
Alleybux
Tell me more.
I visited Rome, Naples and Venice in 2018. I decided to stay in Italy for 6 months, because I learned the language in school and was very interested in italian Culture. I didn't feel like a stranger in Italy. Everywhere I went I got compliments and the Italians were very warm towards me.
I also felt very safe and took trips alone to the inner city whenever I could.
The best part during my 6 month stay in Italy is that I got to climb the volcano called "Vesuv", which was one great but frightening experience lol, visiting the city Pompeji and seeing the leaning tower of Pisa.
Naples also has the best pizza in the world :b41

CarseyWerner

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
38,897 3,207 3,937
Alleybux
Nah, I like that Black Americans are catching a break, but to say there isn't racism in China because Black Americans don't experience it as much as Africans, is ridiculous.
Let's be clear I am a Proud Pan-African booty scratcher. I am not with the discrimination of our people in any context.

Blanc Dove

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,450 51 13
Alleybux
I lived there for 2 years and it was an interesting experience. I stayed there for study and worked a bit under the table as an english teacher at a cram school so my experience is different from someone who went there straight up for work. I liked it because there was a lot of variety in terms of food and travel was affordable, but the air pollution was something to get used to. One interesting thing was the fact that the culture is a bit two faced in the sense that they'll be like "yeah sure, we should do x" but in reality they don't particularly have intentions of following up lol. I mean I get it, but at the same time it's like "ok...". I'm a fairly tall woman so I had a lot of random chinese tourists asking me for a picture, I didn't like that. Everyone else minded their own business but they were just unsubtle about it, like one lady straight up came across 3 lanes of traffic to ask me for a picture when I was waiting for a bus.

In terms of travelling, I did a lot by myself and I had a good time doing it. Once you get a translation and a bus/mrt station app it's easy to get by in larger cities like Taipei/Taichung/Kaoshiung, and if you can ride a bike (I can't) it's even easier because there's a system where you can rent an e (electronic) bike and you just pay when you return it. Smaller cities though, a guide is definitely needed. Travelling was also convenient because there's a card you can put money on and it pays for pretty much everything - bus fare, food, train fare etc.

I think my most memorable moment was going to the new year's celebration at Taipei 101. It's like times square in that when you go it's absolutely packed - and there's no wifi at all due to all the people so you absolutely need a plan. My first year going my friends and I couldn't get a train to go home and we ended up walking halfway across the city to get to the one train station that was still open. We were all drunk as hell and the trains are punctual (even waiting a little longer because of new years) so we nearly missed it. The next year we just decided to go to a club afterward lol

Working at a cram school is straight up basura though, the "white/dancing monkey" stereotype is real - the hours are sh!t and they want you to basically act like a kindergarten teacher for kids who "have great english" but can't speak a word because of all the foreigners who came, worked for a year or so to fund their trip through asia and left. It may be different now, but at the time (2015-2016) if you were a white person they would throw money at you to try and impress students. Of course it's a bit different if you're applying at a proper school, but for cram schools being white was a definite advantage - even over Asian people coming from America etc who spoke fluent English.

Overall, the people were nice to me because I made an effort to learn mandarin and spoke to them with it even though my pronunciation was terrible. Can't remember sh!t now though.
/novel
Thanks for sharing your experience :blush:

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
I feel ya it really is.
I find it interesting how some Black American and Caribbean fonts in this thread think their features is what distinguishes them from Africans... but in reality if they were to go to Africa they would fit in looks wise just because the continent is so facially diverse. Khoi-San, Wolof, Somali, Igbo, mixed African people all have different looks. There's alot of ignorance about Africa and it's showing in this thread.

The only things that distinguishes Black American and Caribbean fonts from Africans is their nationality, surname, mannerisms/dress, language, and culture... not features. I'm saying this as an African born and raised in America who's had plenty of experience on several continents.

Funny you had thumbs down, man the ignorance on this forum is ridiculous.

brucey

Cantonese please
Reaction score
Reactions
4,384 59 64
Alleybux
Have you guys taking hip hop classes or dance classes in China? If so did you enjoy it or have a good experience? What do y’all think of their dance styles :kissing:

I haven’t but my friend has. He’s from
Philly and sang for a cover band here. He’s dope. Great guy. I see his videos on IG and YouTube have a lot of views.

I did take some salsa and bachata classes here and I met a lot of people.

Overall it’s cute that they fµck wit it but it gives “1-2-3” instead of authentic feels.

igotyoubabe

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
356 14 26
Alleybux
OP you didn’t answer me! Are you the top when meeting guys? Is it the skinnies you’re after? This will make or break my respect for you

Blanc Dove

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,450 51 13
Alleybux

P I K A C H U

✧Bless Me A-Chu✧
Reaction score
Reactions
902 5
Alleybux
Every "Living in China" video i've seen so far kept saying how the furniture was already there for them. One even tried to change the pillows and stuff and the renter put them back. So is it true you are stuck with the past renters furniture or were you able to rent and just buy your own stuff? Did your apartment come with the squat toilet or were you fortunate enough with the normal one? Are your neighbors loud? Do you ever get homesick?

ForRealDoe?

PROUD BLACK AMERICAN
Reaction score
Reactions
66,869 5,518 13,393
Alleybux
So basically everyone confirmed everything I’ve been saying about living in China as a black American expat...Great experience.

brucey

Cantonese please
Reaction score
Reactions
4,384 59 64
Alleybux
How palpable is the censorship in China, if it is at all? Are the vistages of male centeredness like aborting girls in response to the one child policy still detectable, at least to you? I'm guessing you guys are rich or on the richer side, so your experiences may not be standard for a black foreigner but do you get the feeling that your kind is unwanted there, generally. Are they whiteworshipping in your opinion? Also, how strong is the nationalism of the typical Chinese person you encounter in comparison to the average "Murica" American? I'm assuming upward mobility is impossible for a foreigner unless they're already up high in another nation, but what do you think about the possibility of upward mobility for the average Chinese person, at least in comparison to a middle class person rising in America? I know they think Americans are dumb, but is there the sentiment that America is in a decline or is it still somewhat respected? Does it feel like things are moving too fast there? In regards to race, what would you say the hierarchy is for foreigners and maybe for areas. For example, would Latin Americans be treated better than Indians, Europe viewed better than America, etc. Lastly, would you have raised your child in China if you were Chinese or would you raise them elsewhere?

I don't expect you guys to answer all of these questions, just whichever you feel like answering. Always wanted to know about China from the perspective of someone actually there, but the perspective of a black person there is even better so thanks.
I will answer these great questions! Give me a moment.