Quantcast

I’m rewatching Scandal and I don’t understand how I was ever a fan of Olivia

BISBOL

Biden/Harris 2020
Reaction score
Reactions
22,655 1,816 187
Alleybux
Okay so I must admit that I started watching Scandal in season one even before it blew up between season one and two. I was such a die hard fan that I would eat popcorn and drink red “wine” while watching. I was always rooting for Olivia back then. I did eventually stop after the plot of her being kidnapped into what felt like the slave trade (wtf Shonda). So I started rewatching a few weeks ago from the beginning and Olivia doesn’t have any redeeming qualities. She uses all of her friends, she’ll hold the fact that she “saved” them in order to get them to do something morally wrong. She wears the white hat only because she gets others to do her dirty work.

I used to support the affair with Fitz sadly but now I see the error of my ways. Olivia was blatantly rude to that mans wife and honestly she was a ***. I don’t get why a successful woman is the OBBSSESSED with the white peen. She had opportunities to leave and be alone or with another man but she always went back. That crap was toxic and she deserved to be exposed for it. Also I won’t even get into how they tried to paint the Republican Party (positivity) on that show....

Also the “stolen looks” are obvious af. She was too entitled for a mistress.

mordemos

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,264 105 128
Alleybux
That show is so over the top ridiculous and it takes itself way too seriously. They try too hard to make Olivia Pope seem like a badass but it just comes off stupid as hell.
"It's handled." *hangs up phone and walks away "badassly"*
or that time she was talking to the president on the phone while watching him live on the news and she tells him to turn his head so she could see his face and see if he's lying. LMAO what garbage

DZA

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,028 933 445
Alleybux
#TeamMellie since day 1. I never understood how people were rooting for the mistress e5

SarahElephant

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,179 801 130
Alleybux
#TeamMellie since day 1. I never understood how people were rooting for the mistress e5

#TeamMellie

giphy.gif

Happyii22

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,326 649 1,076
Alleybux
I stopped at the first season. I couldn't stand Olivier Pope and the whole serie and scenarios are ridiculous.

Cadbury

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,423 1,306 2,683
Alleybux
Yeah it was hard to like Olivia giving her home wrecking ways I didn’t like Fitz either.I felt really sorry for Mellie cause what did she do to deserve this?
Cyrus Beene was hilarious though

Brooksiebloved

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,589 359 305
Alleybux
I supported the first season like I try to with all black shows and then I drop them. They are bound to have issues I don't support.

WendiDeng

Retired my LSA jersey
Reaction score
Reactions
68,205 2,443 4,056
Alleybux
Y'all realize once Mellie knew she actively encouraged Olivia right? Begged her to come back and fµck Fitz. All so she could retain her position and remain First Lady. I mean let's not forget what happened with Fitz's dad and her, Mellie is all about the position and nothing was going to stop her from being First Lady, she never cared about her marriage.

BISBOL

Biden/Harris 2020
Reaction score
Reactions
22,655 1,816 187
Alleybux
Y'all realize once Mellie knew she actively encouraged Olivia right? Begged her to come back and fµck Fitz. All so she could retain her position and remain First Lady. I mean let's not forget what happened with Fitz's dad and her, Mellie is all about the position and nothing was going to stop her from being First Lady, she never cared about her marriage.

Mellie only did that because Olivia never really cut ties. Even when the were “broken up” they still had heavy breathing phone conversations. Olivia never left that married man alone once and Fitz was worse. He basically stalked her and treated her like property. I don’t see why Olivia came back every time, the series could have done without it.

Ethereal Spirit

Black girls do it better
Reaction score
Reactions
192,841 6,681 8,083
Alleybux
Liv was a mastermind, but I don't understand how this show was seen as unproblematic in the growing popularity of today's feminist movement. I can't imagine a show like this coming out in 2019 with no backlash, especially when you throw in the emergence of the modern day black pride movement, in which sleeping with married white peen as a kept woman and dirty little secret is the antithesis of that.

My main gripe with Olivia is that she had absolutely no remorse for her actions. She only began to feel sad for Mellie after Eli was responsible for the death of her son.

Ethereal Spirit

Black girls do it better
Reaction score
Reactions
192,841 6,681 8,083
Alleybux

What are you talking about with Mellie and Fitz's dad? You are forgetting that this woman was raped by her father-in-law, and you are also conveniently forgetting that this marked the end of their marriage. A marriage in which she truly did love Fitz, but I think she saw big Jerry so much in her husband that it turned her off from him.

WendiDeng

Retired my LSA jersey
Reaction score
Reactions
68,205 2,443 4,056
Alleybux
What are you talking about with Mellie and Fitz's dad? You are forgetting that this woman was raped by her father-in-law, and you are also conveniently forgetting that this marked the end of their marriage. A marriage in which she truly did love Fitz, but I think she saw big Jerry so much in her husband that it turned her off from him.

She could have told Fitz then, she also could have divorced him when she learned about Olivia. She never did.

ShadyHeaux

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
43,679 1,736 925
Alleybux

Yes! I liked her. I couldn't stomach the show for long at all but I wanted Mellie to slap the sh!t out of Olivia ONE good time. Just one time.

lurve

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
991 61 4
Alleybux
Yeah Olivia became an absolutely awful character. I kept waiting for her to get her come up

I love season 1 & 2 of Scandal. I think it became awful later, and Olivia became worse as the show progressed. I never had a problem with the affair. I think it's because in the beginning, it was implied that Mellie and Fitz had a political marriage. Also, I grew up watching soaps. Affairs are just expected in melodrama.

Olivia didn't start out using the things that she did for her staff to get them to do awful things. She treated them like family. Later, she started doing that when Shonda started throwing stuff on the wall to see what would stick.

One thing that Scandal did make me realize is that Shonda is not that great of a writer.

Last edited:

Blackfyre101

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,995 30 75
Alleybux
I like Olivia (doing a rewatch/catch up because I haven't seen the later seasons of 3 and past 4). But Olivia did not have the high moral ground when it came to Fitz.

There were men like Eddison, and Jake that were single and would have been less messy than being the mistress of the president of the united states.

I like it when Olivia handles her cases, but her love life was messy as hell.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,977 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
I was doing the third attempt at a rewatch in my life and

The second rewatch I could only make it up to the episode Olivia brutally killed Mellie's boyfriend that was gonna snitch. That was DISGUSTING to me the way it was filmed and I don't understand how I made it past that or ABC aired it. (But ABC is now allowing people to say homophobic slurs in their programming like it's HBO so no surprise.)

That was months ago.

This is rewatch attempt 3. I am on S1E1. I was cringing at how fast talking these self important narcissistic characters are but I had to pause it when Olivia and Fitz have their first of many "don't touch me"/crying/sniffling/lip quivering/cuddling taboo moments. It has been paused on my laptop for more than 20 minutes now.

That show is so over the top ridiculous and it takes itself way too seriously. They try too hard to make Olivia Pope seem like a badass but it just comes off stupid as hell.
"It's handled." *hangs up phone and walks away "badassly"*
or that time she was talking to the president on the phone while watching him live on the news and she tells him to turn his head so she could see his face and see if he's lying. LMAO what garbage
Lmao everything you talked about is literally in E1. :rosedead

Laaaayla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,923 2,504 1,116
Alleybux
This show ended up being such TRASHHHHH

I’m literally pissed and want to legitimately fight who ever is responsible for every episode after Harrison died.

I’m on the penultimate episode and I’m so pissed. They have Olivia Groveling and begging these ritz to forgive her when she actually didn’t do anything any one else hadn’t done.

I’m literally only watching because I never watched it(I originally stopped watching a few episodes after they killed James) and am interested in seeing how it ends.

Such garbage. Smh.

Laaaayla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
146,923 2,504 1,116
Alleybux
I was doing the third attempt at a rewatch in my life and

The second rewatch I could only make it up to the episode Olivia brutally killed Mellie's boyfriend that was gonna snitch. That was DISGUSTING to me the way it was filmed and I don't understand how I made it past that or ABC aired it. (But ABC is now allowing people to say homophobic slurs in their programming like it's HBO so no surprise.)

That was months ago.

This is rewatch attempt 3. I am on S1E1. I was cringing at how fast talking these self important narcissistic characters are but I had to pause it when Olivia and Fitz have their first of many "don't touch me"/crying/sniffling/lip quivering/cuddling taboo moments. It has been paused on my laptop for more than 20 minutes now.

Lmao everything you talked about is literally in E1. :rosedead
If you mean Andrew nah I could get that. He had her kidnapped and started a war (I won’t blame him for her being sold on the dark web because that was Olivia’s idea) then had the nerve to taunt them about it.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,977 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
If you mean Andrew nah I could get that. He had her kidnapped and started a war (I won’t blame him for her being sold on the dark web because that was Olivia’s idea) then had the nerve to taunt them about it.
Yeah but that was a really violent, disgusting death that was never really talked about again and wqs wholly unnecessary

litty

mute Lipstick Brothas for clear skin
Reaction score
Reactions
80,824 4,421 4,700
Alleybux
I stopped personally watching the show around the middle of the second or third season because I did not think that Olivia's motivations were written well. I ended up seeing most of the show anyways because my family watched it lmao.

I don't think that she would have played second fiddle to Mellie. I also don't think she would have dated someone of low esteem like Jake, either. I am not a lawyer so I can't proclaim to know all of the morals and ideals of a professional woman, though.

OhLordHaveMacy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,910 2,302 1,554
Alleybux
Mellie only did that because Olivia never really cut ties. Even when the were “broken up” they still had heavy breathing phone conversations. Olivia never left that married man alone once and Fitz was worse. He basically stalked her and treated her like property. I don’t see why Olivia came back every time, the series could have done without it.

right. And Fitz was really a man child if you think about it. The way he taunted his wife about it and treated her like the popular kid who bullied the less popular one. And they weren't some regular everyday couple, political couples are socialized differently than the rest of us. Sure we would all love to see a first lady say "fµck it" and leave her husband looking like an idiot, but position can't be abandoned as easily as we would like to think, especially when there's something in it for her as well, why wouldn't you stay and make the most of a sh!tty situation?

The Most

You Can’t Do What I Do
Reaction score
Reactions
48,761 1,835 804
Alleybux
This was always me. I mean I loved Scandal and didn’t miss an episode but Olivia got on my nerves (Her wardrobe was everything tho).
I just hated that she was so shameless and people were defending the cheating!

The Most

You Can’t Do What I Do
Reaction score
Reactions
48,761 1,835 804
Alleybux
Also -Shonda’s writing was best when it focused on the case of the day and personal interactions between characters. That B 3 16 sh!t was trash. But shonda was so pressed to do political espionage for some reason

GoBeDo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,218 420 356
Alleybux
I cannot believe the number of black women who are or were team Mellie. That character is white feminism at its peak, lol.

She was a typical white woman who had everything handed to her because of who her daddy was and who she married, but thought she was really doing something. Mellie was no Hillary Clinton. As far as the show presented, she graduated top of her class in law school and was a successful lawyer before quitting to have kids. Yet somehow, being First Lady of California and First Lady of the US made her qualified to be a US Senator and later President after two years as a Senator. Get the fµck out with that white nonsense.

As for Mellie and Fitz, I used to feel sorry for her until someone pointed that if you flipped their genders, people would be like nope.

Olivia Pope used to be a good character, but Shonda ruined her to prop up Mellie's character and all of that B613 nonsense.

tokyodiva91

最高
Reaction score
Reactions
36,981 1,410 811
Alleybux
I'm currently rewatching with my husband, who never saw it. We are on Season 2 Ep 3, he loves it so far. I haven't told him how it goes downhill later but I am actually enjoying this rewatch. Scandal wasn't perfect BUT it was groundbreaking and living in the states at the time, I LIVED for TGIT!!!