Quantcast

I brought into the Korean skincare hype and...

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
I brought the

- Klairs juicy drops vitamin c serum - freaking hate it, it makes my face so dry and tight, like literally immediately after I've applied it. I've tried to make it work through mixing it with my moisturiser, applying only a little bit, applying it only at night. But every time I apply it, my skin is like 'kateyedgirl, how many times do I have to tell you?' I've used a vitamin c serum that was a lot more cheaper than this and it gave me better results, despite my skin not being too big of an acid/actives fan. I personally believe it's the silicone in the ingredients that may be causing the dryness, as it is the 2nd ingredient. It's a complete waste of money, imo.

- Suntique I'm safe for sensitive skin mineral sunscreen - I like this. I do get the ashy white residue but for the most part it matifies my skin and doesn't make me burn like chemical sunscreens do. If I find another mineral sunscreen that doesn't give me the ashy look, I probably won't repurchase. Overall though, I'm not mad at the purchase.

Aromatica candela juicy cream - I like it, but it could be more moisturising/lubricating - I might go for a more heavier cream

I got samples of cleansers because most cleansers do not work for me and I wanted to be SURE before spending my hard earned money. - Benton's foaming cleanser and aromatica rose infusion cream cleanser

I tried the rose infusion cleanser and OMGGGGGGG I am SOLDDDD. My skin is SO soft after using it and doesn't feel stripped and tight like most cleansers make my face feel. I WISH there was away for me to exchange the klaris vitamin c serum and get this instead. I don't even want to try the Bentons lool (If I do try it, I'll update this thread).

For the most part I don't really care for the 10+ steps that some Koreans use for their skincare. But I definitely can understand the hype behind it. I think due to how sensitive my skin is and how pricy the products can be, I'll probably stick to the cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen and my beloved roseship oil.

Please feel free to drop your favourite Korean products/regimen.

veronicaluv

Keeping You Pressed
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
227,426 9,148 11,470
Alleybux
When you start with a KSCR always use products from the drug store first. Loreal makes a decent line of serums. The Ordinary is where it's at though, and affordable.

ugfrogishere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,892 561 162
Alleybux
At least you found what was effective through trail and error. Very sage advice there of using samples first!
The skin 'brightening' things (which can be another way of lightening, really) can be particularly harsh, if you're not careful.

I personally can be sceptical about some of their skin care and make-up (wouldn't wear it, personally), as not everything is universal for everybody as East Asian skin is different to ours (which some K-wannabes on YT don't seem to understand).

Cutiefab

The Hound’s b*tch
Reaction score
Reactions
121,919 4,993 4,288
Alleybux
I use the Dr Jart+ Masks and my skin is glowing, now I do use a Sisley face cream but even before it was very efficient and clarified my face.

Stantonlikzaddy

Play Nice or Stay Out my DMs
Reaction score
Reactions
343,996 9,076 2,789
Alleybux
Thanks for sharing. 80% of skincare is trial and error. But a few things I learned:
1. Know your skin..a lot of Korean skincare is a bit much for people with combination and or normal skin. It's cool to miss a few steps

2. Nighttime is important.

3. Good Vit C doesn't need to be expensive..I find A LOT of overpriced sh!t for no reason.

4. I like the masks and the foot peels are life changing

BoujeeBae

If there is no way, create one.
Reaction score
Reactions
55,619 848 198
Alleybux
A lot of the Korean skin care beauty products weren't made for melanated people hence why it irritates your skin.

RiRi Woo

But first, lipstick!
Reaction score
Reactions
11,240 117 60
Alleybux
I have sensitive skin and found that their routine has helped me tremendously.

Here's what I use (Note: I don't use all items daily... it depends on how my skin is acting)

Oil Cleanser: HANSKIN Pore Cleansing Balm [PHA] (Only use when I wore makeup)
Water Cleanser: KLAIRS Rich Moist Foaming Cleanser
Toner: ACWELL Licorice pH Balancing Cleansing Toner
Essence: ACWELL Licorice pH Balancing Essence Mist OR NEOGEN A-Clear Soothing Essence Pad
Serum: ACWELL Licorice pH Balancing Advance Serum
Masks: BENTON Aloe Soothing Mask
Moisturizer: KLAIRS Rich Moist Soothing Cream
Eye Mask: BENTON Snail Bee Ultimate Hydrogel Eye Patch

I get all my products from Soko Glam, since I don't trust Amazon beauty products.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
Thanks for sharing. 80% of skincare is trial and error. But a few things I learned:
1. Know your skin..a lot of Korean skincare is a bit much for people with combination and or normal skin. It's cool to miss a few steps

2. Nighttime is important.

3. Good Vit C doesn't need to be expensive..I find A LOT of overpriced sh!t for no reason.

4. I like the masks and the foot peels are life changing
bolded is the absolute truth. I knew this before purchasing it, but I guess I just wanted the whole 'experience'

I'm definitely keeping like only 2-3 products from this regimen.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
A lot of the Korean skin care beauty products weren't made for melanated people hence why it irritates your skin.
respectfully, I doubt this was the reason.

Even African black soap irritates my skin if I go overboard with it. I just have sensitive skin and I've been doing some research for a while about what works and what doesn't.

The only product that seemed to irritate my skin from them was the active. everything else was fine (Maybe a little overpriced though)

Stantonlikzaddy

Play Nice or Stay Out my DMs
Reaction score
Reactions
343,996 9,076 2,789
Alleybux
bolded is the absolute truth. I knew this before purchasing it, but I guess I just wanted the whole 'experience'

I'm definitely keeping like only 2-3 products from this regimen.
Drunk Elephant, Kiehls, and Paulas Choice are the WORSTTTT for charging 80..same concentrations you can get on Soko Glam for 30.

SN, try Shop Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Online | YesStyle for cheaper Korean skincare items. Delivery is a bit long but they have good sales and their items come to Korea via China of course lol.

Also, your skin will purge in the beginning when introducing new items, so some breakouts are normal but the dryness is def a no go.

siren_

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
26,726 838 1,063
Alleybux
I tried that Klairs serum a couple years ago. I used half, then dumped the rest in the toilet where it belongs.

LuxeLatte

Sorrows, sorrows, prayers
Reaction score
Reactions
21,854 553 143
Alleybux
Primera Miracle Seed Essence was my go to but it’s been MIA for months now. I found Missha’s Time Revolution Essence to be a decent alternative but pricey.

Huxley Fresh and More Cream (day) and Anti-Gravity Cream (night) are favs of mine as well.

Foxxy Love

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,576 44 38
Alleybux
I use Mizon snail gel and my face absolutely loves it. The best part is that you can use like a pea sized amount and it goes all over my face.

Reaction score
Reactions
333,509 6,231 5,652
Alleybux
I love Korean skincare. I lived in South Korea for a year, and it was one of my favorite things about being there. I stocked up before I left, lol,

BetchPIeaze

The Betchiest
Reaction score
Reactions
49,827 3,583 2,725
Alleybux
question-- do korean products use different ingredients than american or european brands? Whats so special about a korean brand of face wash, toner, or moisturizer that a high quality american brand doesnt have?

cuntie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
49,403 581 97
Alleybux
I feel like people assume Korean skincare is the most perfect thing ever but really it's trial and error like American or European skincare. Before you purchase any more skincare products you should consider these things
(1) figure out skin type
(2) what are your concerns? -
(3) what ingredients can your skin not handle?
(4) what ingredients does your skin love?
(5) what ingredients do you want to try out/what do you need? - If your skin is dehydrated try to get a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid and ceramides to rebuild/restore your skin's barrier.
(6) what products did you use before that you loved or hated? - consider what's inside all your products before purchasing anything else. You will find patterns in what you love vs hate
(7) are you using the products as recommended? - If you are using a product with hyaluronic acid..you need to apply it to damp or wet skin to seal in moisturize. If you use that product on dry skin, you will make your skin even drier.

cuntie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
49,403 581 97
Alleybux
I love Korean skincare. I lived in South Korea for a year, and it was one of my favorite things about being there. I stocked up before I left, lol,

What was it like to live in Korea? Did you live there during the pandemic?

LANEZ

Bougie lil’ bih so you know I got my nose up.
Reaction score
Reactions
144,762 6,578 7,110
Alleybux
I hate Korean skin care, it broke me out something crazy.

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,979 755 93
Alleybux
Korean skincare is full of a lot of gimmicks but there are some gems. If it's like Tony Moly or the like I will not touch it but Sulwhasoo has some good stuff along with a lot of the other prestige brands there.

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,130 11,494 3,304
Alleybux
I brought the

- Klairs juicy drops vitamin c serum - freaking hate it, it makes my face so dry and tight, like literally immediately after I've applied it. I've tried to make it work through mixing it with my moisturiser, applying only a little bit, applying it only at night. But every time I apply it, my skin is like 'kateyedgirl, how many times do I have to tell you?' I've used a vitamin c serum that was a lot more cheaper than this and it gave me better results, despite my skin not being too big of an acid/actives fan. I personally believe it's the silicone in the ingredients that may be causing the dryness, as it is the 2nd ingredient. It's a complete waste of money, imo.

- Suntique I'm safe for sensitive skin mineral sunscreen - I like this. I do get the ashy white residue but for the most part it matifies my skin and doesn't make me burn like chemical sunscreens do. If I find another mineral sunscreen that doesn't give me the ashy look, I probably won't repurchase. Overall though, I'm not mad at the purchase.

Aromatica candela juicy cream - I like it, but it could be more moisturising/lubricating - I might go for a more heavier cream

I got samples of cleansers because most cleansers do not work for me and I wanted to be SURE before spending my hard earned money. - Benton's foaming cleanser and aromatica rose infusion cream cleanser

I tried the rose infusion cleanser and OMGGGGGGG I am SOLDDDD. My skin is SO soft after using it and doesn't feel stripped and tight like most cleansers make my face feel. I WISH there was away for me to exchange the klaris vitamin c serum and get this instead. I don't even want to try the Bentons lool (If I do try it, I'll update this thread).

For the most part I don't really care for the 10+ steps that some Koreans use for their skincare. But I definitely can understand the hype behind it. I think due to how sensitive my skin is and how pricy the products can be, I'll probably stick to the cleanser, moisturiser and sunscreen and my beloved roseship oil.

Please feel free to drop your favourite Korean products/regimen.
I have the vitamin C serum and I don’t care for it either. It has a oily feel to it that I don’t like and it feels like it’s sitting on my skin. I do think it’s more for dry skin, which I don’t have but I don’t like it. The best vitamin c serum I have used has been Skinceuticals..I’m gonna repurchase again, but that $166 price tag though.

Reaction score
Reactions
333,509 6,231 5,652
Alleybux
What was it like to live in Korea? Did you live there during the pandemic?

Nope, it was a few years ago. I was actually there when they were filming Black Panther, lol. A few streets shown in the movie I definitely recognized. I really enjoyed it, though I should mention it was when I was active duty, so I was stationed there. But I enjoyed a lot of different things like the shopping, the food was really good, and there’s a lot to do depending on what area you’re in. The night life was interesting, lol. It’s also pretty affordable there because of the exchange rate. I do wish I had gone into Seoul more, though. I’d definitely like to go back to visit someday.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
I tried that Klairs serum a couple years ago. I used half, then dumped the rest in the toilet where it belongs.
Glad to hear i'm not the only one. I can't believe it's marketed for sensitive skin. It's crazy.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
I use Mizon snail gel and my face absolutely loves it. The best part is that you can use like a pea sized amount and it goes all over my face.
The lady at the store told me it takes a long time to see results with this. Do you think that's true?

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
My friend is currently living there too. I'll definitley have to ask her to get me some haha.

I would travel to south korea but those huntsman spiders and other creatures... NO MAAM

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
question-- do korean products use different ingredients than american or european brands? Whats so special about a korean brand of face wash, toner, or moisturizer that a high quality american brand doesnt have?

For me, the cleansers at least, are definitley a lot more gentle than 'western' brands. the ingredients also tend to be a lot more 'recognizable' vs others.

ETA: that being said, there are definitely some really good 'western' products out there

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux
I have the vitamin C serum and I don’t care for it either. It has a oily feel to it that I don’t like and it feels like it’s sitting on my skin. I do think it’s more for dry skin, which I don’t have but I don’t like it. The best vitamin c serum I have used has been Skinceuticals..I’m gonna repurchase again, but that $166 price tag though.

166 is expensive as hell. I hope it's worked amazingly on you. And everything you said about the vitamin c serum was my experience too. very overrated.

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,979 755 93
Alleybux
If you guys mean that vitamin c serum by skinceuticals with ferulic acid do not buy that crap. The ingredients do not cost that much I have made a vitamin c serum like that on my own for pennies in comparison not to mention vitamin c is way too unstable of an antioxidant to pay a certain amount if it's not guaranteed to be a more stable form which skinceuticals isn't. A Japanese brand called Melano CC makes a good vitamin c serum you can find it online and in Japanese markets.

Foxxy Love

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,576 44 38
Alleybux
The lady at the store told me it takes a long time to see results with this. Do you think that's true?
I agree with that. I put it on daily for months and only difference was that my skin was much less dry. I used both my initial bottles with a pea sized amount daily, and nothing noticeable unless I looked super close. I pretty much just use it as a moisture boost at this point.

buffyuna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,748 5,110 1,196
Alleybux
I fell for Klairs after Kennie endorsed them for the glass skin look.

I should have known that my pores were too big to be looking all greasy. I prefer my skin to look normal now so I stick with a basic moisturizer and call it a day.

Acajou

Une Belle Meuf ™
Reaction score
Reactions
15,029 819 89
Alleybux
Do Koreans even do that 10 step routine?

I have used some Korean brands and I like them. I absolutely love the sheet masks i've used. Very moisturizing and feels nice on my skin.

Elfie1020

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
41,810 1,591 801
Alleybux
Korean Skincare Steps are doing entirely too much. I follow Dr Drey on Youtube, she's a board certified dermatologist and not a fan of it.

Rangiku

The Brown Sugar Outlaw
Reaction score
Reactions
16,979 755 93
Alleybux

I have used some Korean brands and I like them. I absolutely love the sheet masks i've used. Very moisturizing and feels nice on my skin.
It was a trend but not anymore people got sick of all those steps so they've shrunken down even before it became a known thing here.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,496 831 193
Alleybux

I am very sure that most of them do not.

Some Koreans that I know, also tend to smoke a lot, yet their skin still looks decent. I think genetics is matters alot for skincare, then diet and skincare products.

Trending Threads

News Alley

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom