Quantcast

I got GOT and I’m highly upset and anxious rn

Reaction score
Reactions
8,191 379 169
Alleybux
Today while at work, I found out from HR that someone has filed unemployment under my name. I’m assuming they must’ve gotten my social somehow and ive been trying to work through the process of securing my accounts and preventing further fraud. I’m so upset. Idk what to do and what this’ll mean for me, my identity, and my credit score (which I worked really hard to make high). Have any of you ever had this happen to yourselves or anyone you know? What did you do and how did it affect you? Supposedly this is happening to a lot of people.

Reaction score
Reactions
8,191 379 169
Alleybux
Report this to the police. Then make sure the IRS is aware of this.
But what info would I need to contact the police and make a report? I mostly just have the in for from HR saying that someone tried to file unemployment under my name and which borough they live in in nyc

JustBeingMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,305 966 131
Alleybux
OP go to the police and report the fraudulent activity re: unemployment submission by the stranger. This way you will have a crime reference which you can then give to the IRS who can make a note on the system and ensure protocols are in place. Speak with your bank and set up additional alerts and verifications for you to access your online banking etc.

Also change all your passwords and in future please please please shred all paper with your full government name on it- there are a lot of dodgy people around happily rummage rubbish to get and or steal peoples identities.

LLCoolFae

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
12,790 310 75
Alleybux
I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Have you frozen your credit yet? It'll stop scammers from opening accounts in your name.

Amanirenas

Qore li kdwe li
Reaction score
Reactions
104,456 2,521 1,598
Alleybux
But what info would I need to contact the police and make a report? I mostly just have the in for from HR saying that someone tried to file unemployment under my name and which borough they live in in nyc
Just go to the police with whatever information you have on the individual who stole your identity. ASAP

JamesMarsden

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,599 1,654 1,248
Alleybux
put a freeze on your credit. whenever you need a company to look at your history, you can get it temporarily lifted

Grace Taylor

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
79,825 1,805 373
Alleybux
I was JUST discussing this at work. We have had this happen to several employees. Unfortunately, they had to deal with the issue on their own. I think they had to contact the fraud hotline with the DOL first to report the fraud and then be instructed on next steps from there.

I had my identity stolen as a child, so I know it's a headache, but my parents dealt with it. I hope everything works out and gets better, OP!

Bel Esprit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,367 102 17
Alleybux
Unemployment fraud has been rampant since last year. We get several claims per week. As someone said contact the credit bureaus and put an alert/freeze on your account. Contact your state unemployment and report it as fraud. You can also report the fraud to identifytheft.gov.

TiredoftheBS

Back to putting y’all’s stupid threads on ignore!
Reaction score
Reactions
127,076 5,312 3,329
Alleybux
Today while at work, I found out from HR that someone has filed unemployment under my name. I’m assuming they must’ve gotten my social somehow and ive been trying to work through the process of securing my accounts and preventing further fraud. I’m so upset. Idk what to do and what this’ll mean for me, my identity, and my credit score (which I worked really hard to make high). Have any of you ever had this happen to yourselves or anyone you know? What did you do and how did it affect you? Supposedly this is happening to a lot of people.
You sure it’s not a family member?

Reaction score
Reactions
8,191 379 169
Alleybux
OP here. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I contacted my the credit bureaus to put fraud alert on my creditand am working on freezing my credit. Is there a certain amount of time people keep it frozen? Also yeah I shred the crap out of all my papers so I’m assuming someone got my info online??? Not sure but I’m looking into it. Also I considered it being someone I may know, but all the family I know from said borough know nothing about me and I don’t speak with them at all so it’s probably a random person

Reaction score
Reactions
8,191 379 169
Alleybux
So for those of you who gave me advice to go to the police, I went to the police department to report it. They had a sign on the door to call before you enter so I did and they told me that they don’t deal with that. That I would just have to report it to the irs/unemployment and they would handle it. Even if I possibly have pertinent info :cautious: idk if they’re just lazy dumbasses or if it’s true. Should i try somewhere else?

alex1994

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
62,099 939 674
Alleybux
So for those of you who gave me advice to go to the police, I went to the police department to report it. They had a sign on the door to call before you enter so I did and they told me that they don’t deal with that. That I would just have to report it to the irs/unemployment and they would handle it. Even if I possibly have pertinent info :cautious: idk if they’re just lazy dumbasses or if it’s true. Should i try somewhere else?
Idk why people are saying "go to the police," because they're useless fucks. This happened to both my parents some months ago(someone stole their identities via filing faux unemployment under their names) and they just contacted our state's unemployment agency and they also contacted the IRS. They also had to freeze their credit. They never contacted the police either and it was handled within a month.

Reaction score
Reactions
8,191 379 169
Alleybux
Idk why people are saying "go to the police," because they're useless fucks. This happened to both my parents some months ago(someone stole their identities via filing faux unemployment under their names) and they just contacted our state's unemployment agency and they also contacted the IRS. They also had to freeze their credit. They never contacted the police either and it was handled within a month.
Thanks for this! I was starting to think that was a waste of time. Do you mind telling me how your parents knew it was resolved and if they ever unfroze their accounts? Were they notified that the person was caught? I’ve just been so stuck because I don’t know anyone close to me that this has happened to. I hope you and your family stay safe and nothing like this ever happens to you guys again

alex1994

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
62,099 939 674
Alleybux
Thanks for this! I was starting to think that was a waste of time. Do you mind telling me how your parents knew it was resolved and if they ever unfroze their accounts? Were they notified that the person was caught? I’ve just been so stuck because I don’t know anyone close to me that this has happened to. I hope you and your family stay safe and nothing like this ever happens to you guys again
They found out through their respective jobs. The HR departments at their jobs contacted them about it and they acted rather quickly to resolve it. Idk if the person got caught but I do know that it has been resolved. I would call the IRS, and contact your state's unemployment agency to make them aware of the fraud. I'd also contact any company you have a credit card with and immediately freeze any credit.

just4online

❣️
Reaction score
Reactions
48,879 1,484 586
Alleybux
Report to the police and the IRS. Send a copy of the police report to each credit bureau and the IRS. Put a freeze and identity theft lock on your credit through each bureau. I'm sorry this happened to you. This happened to a relative and I had to help her fix her credit due to $10K of identity theft.