Quantcast

I have a serious question about Doja Cat and her music...

TerrorTubby

Terrorizing the girls, one tea spill at a time!
Reaction score
Reactions
60,130 2,151 1,022
Alleybux
So for starters - Let’s ignore and forget (even if its only temporary) all the drama with Doja. Let’s act like the chatroom thing, her saying “Suck My Dick N——-r” on video to her friends, her saying “f—-ot” on video, the rumors of her being safe hating, all that never happened. I want this thread to be a genuine about music and the ARTIST only, not the controversy. Now let’s continue.

Can you all explain to me the appeal of Doja Cat as an artist? Serious question. Because I feel like, as someone who studies music and pop culture, I’m missing something and I don’t understand it.

I ask this because lately I noticed a split between Doja and her career overall. You have people who love and stan her, and swears she’s the next IT girl. But then you have people, who aren’t checking for her, musically (once again, let’s ignore the people who have their feelings about her controversies). You have her songs like Streets, Say So, and Kiss Me More (I thought this song was flopping, but its predicted to debut at #9 on Billboard T100), that are doing well on the charts, but her album sales and overall star power isn’t matching her internet hype. And I don’t understand it, because something like this has never happened to a artist before, pop or rap. Usually, when an artist is getting all this hype behind them, and gaining accolades like she is, single wise, you start to see them everywhere, like Cardi B when Bodak Yellow blew up, or Megan, when Savage blew up. I’m talking big endorsements, commercials, constant features, pandemic-friendly PR (like what Saweetie is doing), big artist co-signs, everything.

Personally, I feel like Doja is a great artist. She’s talented, versatile, and creative, and unlike a lot of other artists right now, she genuinely cares about her craft. Out of all the main rap girls, she is the only girl who has TRUE crossover genre appeal. But at the same time, IN MY OPINION, her music isn’t that good? It’s catchy and different, but it’s like popcorn, meme-like hits (popular today on the internet, gone in a few weeks). Her singing isn’t the best, to me, but she’s a good rapper. But with her rapping, she sounds so much like Nicki, it’s getting to a point where I feel like she doesn’t have her own personal sound or style, like other non-versatile artist have.

One thing her fans hype up about her a lot is her performing ability. I agree, she is a good performer, and I appreciate that she gives effort in her performances; but The performances aren’t necessarily great either? They’re just different and a breath of fresh air from the other artists and “top” girls we currently have. I appreciate that she has versatility, and tries to deliver something different every time, but every time I watch a performance of hers, I’m never “WOW’ed” like her fans hype it up to be. I’m just like “Okay was cute/good”, but this is usually after being followed up by a monstrosity of a performance from an artist like Cardi B or Saweetie, or a repetitive dull performance, from Meg. The Triller show from last night was proof of that. Her solo performances was good, but it was only good out of contrast to her monstrosity of a performance with Saweetie earlier that night (I mostly blame Saweetie and her team for this though).

And I didn’t make this thread to bash Doja as a artist, because in a music industry that is currently SERIOUSLY declining, she is what we need right now. A TRUE artist’s artist. But I don’t exactly understand the hype around her? Because so far, it’s been very lackluster. Just from what I have gathered in the past two years since her rise from the song “Juicy”, Doja isn’t exactly great, but just the better choice of the music options we currently have available. But she doesn’t give or serve me, the icon/star teas, that artist like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna, or Britney, when they all first debuted. It’s almost like she’s missing something, but I’m not sure what it is. Whether it’s lack of xes appeal, stage presence, or her own identity as an artist, but something is missing and is causing a disconnect with her hype.

***DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A STAN WAR THREAD FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. If you can’t have a adult debate of your opinions, without insulting other artists or fonts, just don’t even reply, please.***

Last edited:

edamame_bee

Kinda Girl You Are
Reaction score
Reactions
131,906 3,582 1,063
Alleybux
Why do people like things? Because it appeals to them. You have to remember that most of the artists you mentioned didn't serve icon when they began either - in fact many of them were not taken very seriously until later into their career and they all went through a serious period of people making fun of them for being sh!tty performers.

Scorpio Jawn

Toucher of grass.
Reaction score
Reactions
174,409 8,841 1,514
Alleybux
I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Doja and I find her to be weird (not the endearing type) but she is talented. Her music has a lot of replay value, she's a decent performer and her visuals are good. I understand why she has a large following. With that said, standards in mainstream music today are so low that she ends up looking like the best thing since sliced bread because everyone else is trash. She's versatile, interesting, attractive and you never know what she's going to give you next. (Her song with SZA is an example of that). Hot Pink as an album managed to be cohesive, versatile and skipless. It grew on me and I have to give credit where credit is due. She's a chameleon and I'm actually looking forward to her next album.

Santigold

ᴄᴏʟᴅᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴛɪᴛᴀɴɪᴄ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ.
Reaction score
Reactions
705,272 30,573 3,181
Alleybux
If you don't understand the hype, then why are you making this thread questioning why others see why she's popular? We aren't all going to have the same opinions. Some see the appeal, others do not. It is what it is. There's no use in debating about it because chances are you're not going to change minds.

TerrorTubby

Reaction score
Reactions
60,130 2,151 1,022
Alleybux
Why do people like things? Because it appeals to them. You have to remember that most of the artists you mentioned didn't serve icon when they began either - in fact many of them were not taken very seriously until later into their career and they all went through a serious period of people making fun of them for being sh!tty performers.
Lady Gaga didn’t serve you icon teas during her “The Fame” era? Really? I remember every song on that album being like a single damn near.

TheZoilist

─── ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ───
Reaction score
Reactions
31,399 839 156
Alleybux
She makes bops....das it

western music has been in a really dark weird place for a minute and the music her and the other pop girlies are making rn is a breath of fresh air. I think that’s it tbh, she makes fun escapist music which is exactly what people need right now

i don’t think i’ll ever like fight for doja, people are perfectly entitled to their opinions about her. She just seems self hating to me which is between her and her therapist tbh

TerrorTubby

Reaction score
Reactions
60,130 2,151 1,022
Alleybux
If you don't understand the hype, then why are you making this thread questioning why others see why she's popular? We aren't all going to have the same opinions. Some see the appeal, others do not. It is what it is. There's no use in debating about it because chances are you're not going to change minds.
you can tell me how you feel about her as an artist, and may be open my eyes to something I don’t see. Like the following quote below. This is an open discussion not a debate. Which is why I put a disclaimer above. If you don’t feel the need to contribute to the discussion, just don’t reply

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to Doja and I find her to be weird (not the endearing type) but she is talented. Her music has a lot of replay value, she's a decent performer and her visuals are good. I understand why she has a large following. With that said, standards in mainstream music today are so low that she ends up looking like the best thing since sliced bread because everyone else is trash. She's versatile, interesting, attractive and you never know what she's going to give you next. (Her song with SZA is an example of that). Hot Pink as an album managed to be cohesive, versatile and skipless. It grew on me and I have to give credit where credit is due. She's a chameleon and I'm actually looking forward to her next album.

TerrorTubby

Reaction score
Reactions
60,130 2,151 1,022
Alleybux
She makes bops....das it

western music has been in a really dark weird place for a minute and the music her and the other pop girlies are making rn is a breath of fresh air. I think that’s it tbh, she makes fun escapist music which is exactly what people need right now
That was basically my point. Like I feel like she’s a breath of fresh air, which is understandable because western music is so sh!t right now. I personally still don’t get her hype but maybe it’s because she’s still early on in her career. It may be easy to judge now, but I honestly think the superstars that we got in the 2000s and 2010s are a thing of the past now.

edamame_bee

Kinda Girl You Are
Reaction score
Reactions
131,906 3,582 1,063
Alleybux
Lady Gaga didn’t serve you icon teas during her “The Fame” era? Really? I remember every song on that album being like a single damn near.
She had some hot songs, but she definitely was not considered an icon. She was considered a Madonna & Grace Jones rip off try hard at the time, and that got worse with her second album.

TerrorTubby

Reaction score
Reactions
60,130 2,151 1,022
Alleybux
You allegedly study pop music, call her talented and creative, but don’t understand why she has fans? Chile...
Did I ever say I don’t understand why she has fans? I said I don’t understand her hype. Those are two different things. Meaning, I don’t understand why her fans hype her up to be the next Beyoncé when she’s not serving that at all. I never said that she shouldn’t have fans. So it’s nice to know that out of that long 0P, it completely went over your head.

TerrorTubby

Reaction score
Reactions
60,130 2,151 1,022
Alleybux
She makes bops....das it

i don’t think i’ll ever like fight for doja, people are perfectly entitled to their opinions about her. She just seems self hating to me which is between her and her therapist tbh
Same. Which is why, I forgave her for all of that drama, and let it go. I feel bad for Doja in a weird way. She didn’t grow up around her black side, and I think Fame finally got her to be around black people and her black culture and she’s trying to find herself. But she’s trying to do it in the midst of the public eye. Granted, I don’t know this woman, but I do feel bad for her and sympathize with her. It’s an issue a lot of biracial Black kids, and hell, white-washed suburban Black kids deal with so I understand. Even if I don’t agree with some of the stuff she did.

AwareNTired

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
162,075 6,627 3,386
Alleybux
From what I saw of her, admittedly only seen her Grammy's performance, she sounded like a budget version of Nicki Minaj. That's old and tired. For whatever talent she might have, she needs to do better than sounding like a discount version of someone who did it better less than 10 years ago.

King B Giselle

No Foes
Reaction score
Reactions
383,659 7,889 4,900
Alleybux
Did I ever say I don’t understand why she has fans? I said I don’t understand her hype. Those are two different things. Meaning, I don’t understand why her fans hype her up to be the next Beyoncé when she’s not serving that at all. I never said that she shouldn’t have fans. So it’s nice to know that out of that long 0P, it completely went over your head.

doesnt having fans, a large number in fact, lead to hype? Creativity creates hype? Girl bye

TerrorTubby

Reaction score
Reactions
60,130 2,151 1,022
Alleybux
doesnt having fans, a large number in fact, lead to hype? Creativity creates hype? Girl bye
No, actually it doesn’t. Because a small artist can have a large amount of hype too from non-regular fans, have you heard of Chloe x Halle? Queen Naija? Ari Lennox? The amount of Fans does not equate hype. I’m asking about hype only, not fan base and the amount of fans she has. You brought that up not me.