Quantcast

I hope Booker T. Washington didn't say this in real life

MimiLuvs...

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,466 4,633 535
Alleybux
Did Booker T. Washington yell at Madam C.J. Walker?
In Self Made, Booker T. Washington explodes at Madam C.J. Walker in a sexist rant after she storms his business convention. There's no evidence this exchange happened in real life, but they did have a frosty relationship that later gave way to mutual respect. Washington did ignore Walker's requests to present at his 1912 convention, and Walker did give an indignant speech from the audience that Washington outright ignored.

But by Washington's 1913 convention, he was saluting Walker as "a striking example of the possibilities of Negro womanhood in the business world."

'Self Made' Changes Some Really Important Details About Madam C.J. Walker's Life

Pettypisces

Pretty on the outside, petty on the inside
Reaction score
Reactions
223,692 4,802 397
Alleybux
That whole scene reminds me of Judge Joe Brown and his anti Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill bµllsh!t.

This kind of thinking is still prevalent among many older black men and has been for a very long time.

layli567

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,294 638 179
Alleybux
I don't know if Booker T said that or not. This film took a lot of liberty and it's best to do your own research on the individuals mentioned.

I will say that it took a grown Layli to appreciate Booker T. Not saying I agree 100%, but as an adult navigating the world, I understood him more.

YUNGJUDAH

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,232 3,768 3,807
Alleybux
Well he was 100% correct
Black women out earn Black Men today
Black ppl waste 7 billion a year on hair trying to look white
Now the black family is led predominantly by Black women

#SeetheHotepFeminist

ETA: More proof she was pushing white supremacy
IMG_20200406_005231_647.jpg

IMG_20200406_005229_733.jpg

Last edited:

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
Netflix can go F themselves, and to the people eating this sh!t up: you look dumb!

Booker T. Washington was a black man born into slavery and dedicated his entire life to fighting for the advancement of black people. He fought against both Slavery & Jim Crow. He called for policies which pushed black progress through educated and entrepreneurship. His legacy is still shaping the life of black people today, as founder of both the world class Tuskegee University and The National Negro Business League

But he's cancelled because Netflix told you too? You're disrespecting Booker T. Washington because of a semi-fictional series produced by Netflix told you to?

The agenda is so obvious and y'all keep falling for it every time (& its always the same group of people) SMH!

Last edited:

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,273 2,369 107
Alleybux
Booker T Washington was white?
The actor is roger g Smith, who has been in a lot of spike lee movies and also had a stage play about Huey Newton. He isn’t white, but I’m not sure if he is biracial or not.

Roger is a great actor but I’m surprised they picked him because booker t Washington wasnt light skinned. But this movie also took a lot of artistic liberties

ETA-thank you to everyone who pointed out that BTW was light skinned and most likely biracial. I stand corrected

Last edited:

bunkeey8

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,355 1,272 200
Alleybux
I feel the same way about him too, I use not like him but like you my perspective changed on him I appreciate the things he got done.

I don't know if Booker T said that or not. This film took a lot of liberty and it's best to do your own research on the individuals mentioned.

I will say that it took a grown Layli to appreciate Booker T. Not saying I agree 100%, but as an adult navigating the world, I understood him more.

Stormy_Weather

“You Bit**es Ain’t Humble Enough”
Reaction score
Reactions
478,287 8,521 2,296
Alleybux
This scene was certainly fabricated, but from what I know about Booker T Washington it isn’t unbelievable that he would’ve thought this way. In reality, him and Madam CJ Walker worked together at different times though how they felt about each other personally idk

I think she was closer to W.E.B. DuBois, she was one of the founders of the NAACP iirc

Justoverit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,278 879 483
Alleybux
Well he was 100% correct
Black women out earn Black Men today
Black ppl waste 7 billion a year on hair trying too look yt

Now the black family is led predominantly by Black women
Lol where’d you get these numbers from? Also, it’s hard to earn anything substantial when you’re in prison. Maybe that’s more of a testament to the black man’s efforts than black women taking opportunities?

Reaction score
Reactions
9,559 131 18
Alleybux
Not that it matters but I always pictured Booker T Washington as dark skinned so to see this actor playing him was a bit shocking. I didn’t imagine him looking like w.e.b Dubois. I was surprised that Dubois was nice and friendly in the movie because I always thought of him as someone who would be rude, dismissive and bougie.

Justoverit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
44,278 879 483
Alleybux
The movie is inspired by her story. No one should take it 100% to heart. Also, it’s not far-fetched that he would think this way. The world was very different at this time. The average man still acts and thinks this way.

Tania2

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,795 13 111
Alleybux
Netflix can go F themselves, and to the people eating this sh!t up: you look dumb!

Booker T. Washington was a black man born into slavery and dedicated his entire life to fighting for the advancement of black people. He fought against both Slavery & Jim Crow. He called for policies which pushed black progress through educated and entrepreneurship. His legacy is still shaping the life of black people today, as founder of both the world class Tuskegee University and The National Negro Business League

But he's cancelled because Netflix told you too? You're disrespecting Booker T. Washington because of a semi-fictional series produced by Netflix told you too?

The agenda is so obvious and y'all keep falling for it every time (& its always the same group of people) SMH!
Booker T. Washington > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”

Booker T. Washington

Overnight Celeb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
231,985 3,657 610
Alleybux
I appreciate Booker T. He was not perfect but he worked his ass off for the advancement of black folks. I will always appreciate his legacy and Tuskeegee.

I need to watch this film.

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,569 15,256 8,202
Alleybux
Booker T. Washington > Quotes > Quotable Quote

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”

Booker T. Washington

Couldn't have said it better myself, sad that this is even truer today.

I hate to say this, but this methodology of airing out your dirty laundry and weaponizing it against your own to garner sympathy and peanuts has been practiced mainly by feminist black women (specifically the BMAT and "Divist" crew)

These stupid gender wars need to stop, it is so self-destructive.

Abbie Mills

Wife of Prince Daemon Targaryen and President Snow
Reaction score
Reactions
79,099 1,113 415
Alleybux
Oh my God when I saw that scene I could not believe what he said. All Madame wanted to do was lift up black women she did not want to emasculate black men. Booker had it all wrong. You can not lift up a race without also lifting up the women of that race. I don’t understand why someone who is oppressed would want to oppress others. I should not be shocked though because back then a lot of men where misogynistic but it was still hurtful to see. I hope that he did not really feel that way in real life.

ZeusAlmighty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
133,592 3,623 1,142
Alleybux
Booker T Washington was white?
His biological father was.

@oldirtyump @jemma @Beatchoas Your 'skeptical' and 'WTF' ratings are trash. Washington's father was widely believed to be a white man who raped Washington's mother, a slave. Google is free, common sense apparently is not.

Last edited:

misspeanut

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
94,042 1,756 412
Alleybux
Recently I've been reading BTW's books so that I can judge for myself the character and beliefs of this man instead of relying on 3rd party information. Let me just say, it ain't looking too good, lol. Many people have conjectured that his public persona was all a schtick but there is just no way of verifying this theory.

Sailor Moon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,192 386 178
Alleybux
Take that exchange with a grain of salt op, this is a fictionalized version of her life.

Also for those wondering about Washington's heritage, he never knew his father but he was believed to be a white man who raped his mother, who was a slave.

Sp0ttie0ttie

DopalisciousAngel
Reaction score
Reactions
70,803 1,239 687
Alleybux
If he didn’t say it they shouldn’t have even put it in there because I was so taken aback I had to press pause for a few minutes . What he said in the movie was disgusting.

bunkeey8

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
64,355 1,272 200
Alleybux
This....He made a way and a lot possibilities for a lot of black people to advance in this country..his method prob now looking at it wasn’t the best but he did what he had to achieve for us and for that I’m very grateful to him and will respect his legacy...

I appreciate Booker T. He was not perfect but he worked his ass off for the advancement of black folks. I will always appreciate his legacy and Tuskeegee.

XOXODeDe

Let Me See Them Teeth
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
77,648 3,246 2,124
Alleybux
Not that it matters but I always pictured Booker T Washington as dark skinned so to see this actor playing him was a bit shocking. I didn’t imagine him looking like w.e.b Dubois. I was surprised that Dubois was nice and friendly in the movie because I always thought of him as someone who would be rude, dismissive and bougie.

That would have been great -- but Booker's father was an unknown white man who violated his mom during enslavement.

75bd785002d4e70b22ae5c2b753747d0.jpg

0928002253-l.jpg

a7d858de461967190ab430d88bc865e1.jpg

79d3767a3934c542338ccc21a91b0c9b--black-men.jpg

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
581,029 19,675 2,219
Alleybux
That whole scene reminds me of Judge Joe Brown and his anti Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill bµllsh!t.

This kind of thinking is still prevalent among many older black men and has been for a very long time.

Its prevalent among younger generation too, just look at Hip Hop: really don't care what women rappers have to say unless she looks IG ready

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,859 1,064 802
Alleybux

The film is not an insightful examination of Booker T. It’s kind of a fanciful tale featuring names you may be familiar with. Think if Tyler Perry made a movie that did not contain black men being the lowest dirtiest most vile creatures. He made them like the Cleavers in Leave it to Beaver, with Tiffany Haddish as the rapscallian daughter.

I would suggest going elsewhere for history lessons that are closer to actual history. Not “Inspired by” history, to get a Netflix check.

Last edited:

Jojostyle

Lover$$$i
Reaction score
Reactions
136,943 6,211 8,674
Alleybux
BM perceives the economic status and social recognition of BW as an erasure of BM.

The clip rings true to this day. BW out earn and out-educate BM. Has nothing to do with"massa" but says alot abt BM and what they prioritize in life in general. BW have now become the only ones that care abt the community while BM procreates without responsibilities. On top of that BW are not ALLOWED to highlight or call out BM on their lack of leadership, interest, and extreme violence they have done for decades. In order to protect the BMs image. The goal was never abt Black PPl rising. It was abt BM rising to the same level as WM so that they can compete for the patriarchy while BW bear the hardship of infidelity, abuse, and misogynoir, racism from BM and WM.

i.e footstools and doormats

No one will believe this clip is true just by design that BM cannot do wrong but if ppl actually read his books. You would know that this is what he preached.

It is misogynoir.

Jojostyle

Lover$$$i
Reaction score
Reactions
136,943 6,211 8,674
Alleybux

imagine if this was coming out of a white judges mouth. Wouldnt it be considered racist or extreme hate

A bm advocating to not recognize a BW out of pure jealously and falsehood of black male identity.

Beautifulltoo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
36,589 603 203
Alleybux
I've read a few books that stated Washington ignored her requests to speak at the 1912 convention, so instead of getting on the podium, she actually gave a speech from the audience.

Many of the men, especially Booker wasn't pleased, and that has been noted throughout history but no one has ever stated what he actually said to Madam Walker. However, at Booker's 1913 convention, it was said that he praised Madam CJ as an example of how far a Negro woman could go in the business world. So they must have found some common ground during that one year's time frame. Or maybe she cursed his axx out behind closed doors!

Pettypisces

Pretty on the outside, petty on the inside
Reaction score
Reactions
223,692 4,802 397
Alleybux

But he's cancelled because Netflix told you too? You're disrespecting Booker T. Washington because of a semi-fictional series produced by Netflix told you too?

Not sure why you downvoted me.

Booker T. may or may not have said something like what the show depicted, either way I would never discredit all he has done for the betterment of black people.

I was merely pointing out the similarities of the scene and how some black men think. There are many black men who believe that black women shouldn't advance more than their black male peers. I know some who think like this personally. Sexism will always exist, whether the men and women are the same race or not.

I can admit that this line of thinking is wrong and still appreciate Booker's legacy. Most of our heroes have their dirt.

I also didn't appreciate the colorism or portrayal of Annie Malone in the film either.