Quantcast

I Just Wanna Run Away From Christianity Sometimes

Dissident

stardust
Reaction score
Reactions
23,936 146 92
Alleybux
just because someone or a group SAY the are Christians does not mean they are Christians. True Christians need no introduction...

That, though is a classic ‘No True Scotsman’ logical fallacy.

Any group could use the same reasoning.

"This fallacy is a form of circular argument, with an existing belief being assumed to be true in order to dismiss any apparent counter-examples to it. The existing belief thus becomes unfalsifiable."

Logical Fallacies» ‘No True Scotsman’ Fallacy

The No True Scotsman fallacy is a way of reinterpreting evidence in order to prevent the refutation of one’s position. Proposed counter-examples to a theory are dismissed as irrelevant solely because they are counter-examples, but purportedly because they are not what the theory is about.

Example

The No True Scotsman fallacy involves discounting evidence that would refute a proposition, concluding that it hasn’t been falsified when in fact it has.

If Angus, a Glaswegian, who puts sugar on his porridge, is proposed as a counter-example to the claim “No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge”, the ‘No true Scotsman’ fallacy would run as follows:

(1) Angus puts sugar on his porridge.
(2) No (true) Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.
Therefore:
(3) Angus is not a (true) Scotsman.
Therefore:
(4) Angus is not a counter-example to the claim that no Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.

This fallacy is a form of circular argument, with an existing belief being assumed to be true in order to dismiss any apparent counter-examples to it. The existing belief thus becomes unfalsifiable.

Real-World Examples

An argument similar to this is often arises when people attempt to define religious groups. In some Christian groups, for example, there is an idea that faith is permanent, that once one becomes a Christian one cannot fall away. Apparent counter-examples to this idea, people who appear to have faith but subsequently lose it, are written off using the ‘No True Scotsman’ fallacy: they didn’t really have faith, they weren’t true Christians. The claim that faith cannot be lost is thus preserved from refutation. Given such an approach, this claim is unfalsifiable, there is no possible refutation of it.

Fappable

Young, Black, & Eccentric
Reaction score
Reactions
86,631 12,683 10,997
Alleybux

Why? Because you can't control me or tell me what to do? If insults are all you can use, it's no wonder Christianity keeps getting a bad rap. So...you can KEEP YOUR HATE that your religion carries because I don't ever want it in my life.
She isn't trying to control you. She is just saying what God says.(granted I didn't read her posts, but I know her font and she seems sincere.) Don't get mad at her, take it up with God. Its God's word and we just deliver it.

CaramelCutie757

Non Conformist
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,853 1,219 1,730
Alleybux

I'm going to tell you something: YOU (and people who think like you) are the reason I have absolutely lost respect toward Christianity. Some (not all) of its members point out the sins of others, but can't stand having to face their very own. If anybody's being used by the devil, it's clearly you. Ponder that.

Op we don't hate nobody We didn't give those commandments. Maybe you have a issue with God because he is the one that said that. We're just saying what he said. Maybe you do have a problem with Christianity and God himself. With that issue that's why I said in the other thread. I'm sorry that you are struggling with your faith because of this issue but it is what is Everybody has to get judge for everything. Christians have to get judge too. We are not exempt We can go to Hell right along with folks who reject God's Word if we're not living right.

My suggestion to you is to read the bible then you will understand why God said what he said. God don't hate nobody His laws made to protect us from destruction and harm Some people don't understand that because the secular world like to misinterpret the real meaning behind God's Word around to suit their needs and attack the message that God have They like to manipulate and twist stuff up so you can accept something.

Sometimes I want to run away from this board because between the false teaching Christians, self righteous Christians and the lukewarm Christians Plus the unbelievers that constantly attack believers It makes my spirit cringe but however there is something about this section that touches my heart because I don't know the posters here I can't see their faces but judging by their posts, I can tell they have issues they are struggling with their lives. I know people don't always agree wit me and I know I always sometimes don't agree with them, but as long as LSA has this section I will always post here and have my say because I feel like even though we don't agree, I hope I say something to have people thinking.

It has definitely became a learning lesson for me as a Christian being involved in conversations and talking to people I don't normally talk to.

Dark Rose

<span style="display: inline-block; filter:progid:
Reaction score
Reactions
110,980 53 47
Alleybux
What if society in the future begins to bash and alienate Christians or religious people and treat them like outcast will be having this same argument defending the rights of individuals? Or will my point be proven, on how we're not consistent as a human race and don't plan on trying to unify anyone and that this "rights" talk is slightly biased and skewed? My final comment is that man is hateful period, I see hateful crap on this very site on a daily basis and many people excuse it. We got citizens laughing at videos of people beating on one another, our entire media and society is based on breaking people down and making them feel bad but we find it entertaining? We're being entertained by individuals on reality shows but that's perfectly fine. People who call women whores at the drop of a hat but we want to blame religion for the hate man has developed for their brethern and women's rights. It's not fair and some people know it. I'm mad and crying right now (I swear) because i have a mother who's friend has passed that was raised by her pastor and my mom is a very devout Christian I told her I'm not going to be as religious as her anymore and not once did she bash me or tell me I'm going to hell.

She helps people, and teaches them to love she never turns anyone away not even my cousin who is also a gay male that came out to us about his condition and his sexuality years ago. I'd post his pic but people on here are evil. My mom is the only reason for my comments, she's been hurt and done wrong and when I see her face it makes me sad because she's a religious person and to see what religion in her defense and the discussion about it has become makes me feel so bad for her.

We can vote to get rid of religion but that WILL NOT get rid of the evil people within our planet, believe that.

**steps off soapbox**

Ilikeitlikethat

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
543 5
Alleybux
What if society in the future begins to bash and alienate Christians or religious people and treat them like outcast will be having this same argument defending the rights of individuals? Or will my point be proven, on how we're not consistent as a human race and don't plan on trying to unify anyone and that this "rights" talk is slightly biased and skewed? My final comment is that man is hateful period, I see hateful crap on this very site on a daily basis and many people excuse it. We got citizens laughing at videos of people beating on one another, our entire media and society is based on breaking people down and making them feel bad but we find it entertaining? We're being entertained by individuals on reality shows but that's perfectly fine. People who call women whores at the drop of a hat but we want to blame religion for the hate man has developed for their brethern and women's rights. It's not fair and some people know it. I'm mad and crying right now (I swear) because i have a mother who's friend has passed that was raised by her pastor and my mom is a very devout Christian I told her I'm not going to be as religious as her anymore and not once did she bash me or tell me I'm going to hell.

She helps people, and teaches them to love she never turns anyone away not even my cousin who is also a gay male that came out to us about his condition and his sexuality years ago. I'd post his pic but people on here are evil. My mom is the only reason for my comments, she's been hurt and done wrong and when I see her face it makes me sad because she's a religious person and to see what religion in her defense and the discussion about it has become makes me feel so bad for her.

We can vote to get rid of religion but that WILL NOT get rid of the evil people within our planet, believe that.

**steps off soapbox**

Religion did not cause people to become evil, evil did not cause people to become reglious. It's what's in your heart that is the driving factor in one's life. I do believe in God then as well I believe there is an adversary [evil one]

Steeler Fan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,803 108 21
Alleybux
Op we don't hate nobody We didn't give those commandments. Maybe you have a issue with God because he is the one that said that. We're just saying what he said. Maybe you do have a problem with Christianity and God himself. With that issue that's why I said in the other thread. I'm sorry that you are struggling with your faith because of this issue but it is what is Everybody has to get judge for everything. Christians have to get judge too. We are not exempt We can go to Hell right along with folks who reject God's Word if we're not living right.

My suggestion to you is to read the bible then you will understand why God said what he said. God don't hate nobody His laws made to protect us from destruction and harm Some people don't understand that because the secular world like to misinterpret the real meaning behind God's Word around to suit their needs and attack the message that God have They like to manipulate and twist stuff up so you can accept something.

Sometimes I want to run away from this board because between the false teaching Christians, self righteous Christians and the lukewarm Christians Plus the unbelievers that constantly attack believers It makes my spirit cringe but however there is something about this section that touches my heart because I don't know the posters here I can't see their faces but judging by their posts, I can tell they have issues they are struggling with their lives. I know people don't always agree wit me and I know I always sometimes don't agree with them, but as long as LSA has this section I will always post here and have my say because I feel like even though we don't agree, I hope I say something to have people thinking.

It has definitely became a learning lesson for me as a Christian being involved in conversations and talking to people I don't normally talk to.
Here is MY issue: Being told to hate people -- get it? Hate people. This is not an "issue with God", period. This is what the post title says:

"I Just Wanna Run Away From Christianity Sometimes"

Nowhere does it say in the title, "I want to run away from God"...nowhere. It's true that man didn't write the commandments but nowhere in any of God's commandments did it say "hate your neighbor". That's what this thread was about. If, according to man-made religion, I am not allowed to love my neighbor as God asks of me to do, then I have no reason to read the Bible or follow it because I can't do it without love (something's got to give here). I can say "Jesus died for everybody" until my tongue grows tired and I run out of things to say, but -- with a capital B-U-T -- if I cannot show or express love toward my neighbor, no matter which walk of life he or she is from, I may just as well be telling them "God hates you", and I straight-up refuse to do that.

Jesus extends his love, even to the vilest of sinners, so why shouldn't I do the same thing? That's the basic question. Notice that I'm not talking about "hating sin", I'm talking about "hating people". This is the overall picture that is continually missed in the majority of postings. Saying "we love all people" and actually doing so will always be two different things.

Ilikeitlikethat

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
543 5
Alleybux
in all my years as a believer i've yet to find the fruits of the spirit spoken of in these verses, not even in myself. I therefore am as many, lacking much
Gal 5:11-26
11 And as for me, brothers, if I am still preaching that circumcision is necessary, why am I still being persecuted? If that were the case, my preaching about the execution-stake would cause no offense whatever. 12 I wish the people who are bothering you would go the whole way and castrate themselves!
13 For, brothers, you were called to be free. Only do not let that freedom become an excuse for allowing your old nature to have its way. Instead, serve one another in love. 14 For the whole of the Torah is summed up in this one sentence: &#8220;Love your neighbor as yourself&#8221;; 15 but if you go on snapping at each other and tearing each other to pieces, watch out, or you will be destroyed by each other!
16 What I am saying is this: run your lives by the Spirit. Then you will not do what your old nature wants. 17 For the old nature wants what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit wants what is contrary to the old nature. These oppose each other, so that you find yourselves unable to carry out your good intentions. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, then you are not in subjection to the system that results from perverting the Torah into legalism.
19 And it is perfectly evident what the old nature does. It expresses itself in xesual immorality, impurity and indecency; 20 involvement with the occult and with drugs; in feuding, fighting, becoming jealous and getting angry; in selfish ambition, factionalism, intrigue 21 and envy; in drunkenness, orgies and things like these. I warn you now as I have warned you before: those who do such things will have no share in the Kingdom of God!
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 humility, self control. Nothing in the Torah stands against such things.
24 Moreover, those who belong to the Messiah Yeshua have put their old nature to death on the stake, along with its passions and desires. 25 Since it is through the Spirit that we have Life, let it also be through the Spirit that we order our lives day by day.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

Steeler Fan

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,803 108 21
Alleybux
What if society in the future begins to bash and alienate Christians or religious people and treat them like outcast will be having this same argument defending the rights of individuals? Or will my point be proven, on how we're not consistent as a human race and don't plan on trying to unify anyone and that this "rights" talk is slightly biased and skewed? My final comment is that man is hateful period, I see hateful crap on this very site on a daily basis and many people excuse it. We got citizens laughing at videos of people beating on one another, our entire media and society is based on breaking people down and making them feel bad but we find it entertaining? We're being entertained by individuals on reality shows but that's perfectly fine. People who call women whores at the drop of a hat but we want to blame religion for the hate man has developed for their bretheren and women's rights. It's not fair and some people know it. I'm mad and crying right now (I swear) because i have a mother who's friend has passed that was raised by her pastor and my mom is a very devout Christian I told her I'm not going to be as religious as her anymore and not once did she bash me or tell me I'm going to hell.

**steps off soapbox**
:hug: I truly feel you.

MZJazzmine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,780 243 206
Alleybux
Here is MY issue: Being told to hate people -- get it? Hate people. This is not an "issue with God", period. This is what the post title says:

"I Just Wanna Run Away From Christianity Sometimes"

Nowhere does it say in the title, "I want to run away from God"...nowhere. It's true that man didn't write the commandments but nowhere in any of God's commandments did it say "hate your neighbor". That's what this thread was about. If, according to man-made religion, I am not allowed to love my neighbor as God asks of me to do, then I have no reason to read the Bible or follow it because I can't do it without love (something's got to give here). I can say "Jesus died for everybody" until my tongue grows tired and I run out of things to say, but -- with a capital B-U-T -- if I cannot show or express love toward my neighbor, no matter which walk of life he or she is from, I may just as well be telling them "God hates you", and I straight-up refuse to do that.

Jesus extends his love, even to the vilest of sinners, so why shouldn't I do the same thing? That's the basic question. Notice that I'm not talking about "hating sin", I'm talking about "hating people". This is the overall picture that is continually missed in the majority of postings. Saying "we love all people" and actually doing so will always be two different things.

Steeler Fan I understand what you're saying but in truth this is part of what it means to walk with Christ. In order for us to know this is by way of the Word and its application thru the Holy Spirit. That's why you can't stop reading the Word - remembrance & application. I think every blood bought blood washed Believer in Jesus Christ has to make their own decision to follow Jesus. I'm not talking about a religion or some "church". I'm talking about for Christ I live and for Christ I'll die. Other people CAN'T factor into it because it's not about them. It's about your relationship, obedience, and loyalty to the Lord and the interactions you have with your neighbors.

It's about knowing in your weakness that he is strong. It takes courage to love in action on a daily consistant basis because now the people around us get to see what we're really about. If we can really walk our talk. Is God love? Really? It takes courage to be with groups of people that others would damn you for. In my case it was prostitutes, homeless, and gays. I was never taught by the Holy Spirit that it was a sin issue. Instead He taught me it was a issue of Salvation. Because of that to this day I don't play "pick a sin". God got the glory but let me tell you I was damned by some of them good church folk for doing what I was supposed to be doing in Christ - sharing the Gospel. I saw what love could do. I saw what God could do with simple gestures. I could also tell if someone had been beat up by someone claiming to be a Christian. It made things harder for me because they thought I was going to do the same. Not so. I remember my life before I was saved. You can't ever stop showing up in love Steeler Fan.

I guess I would just say be encouraged and make your face like flint toward God. It may not always be pleasant being His disciple but it is never boring that's for sure! Peace to you sister :handshake: