Quantcast

I went to a Hebrew Israelite meeting/service today...AMA

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
Off top: it went pretty well and the sermon was geared towards marriage and singles who wanted to be married.

I was invited by a family member who had been trying to get me to go for months so finally went today.

Izaya Orihara

Chaotic Neutral Black Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
61,505 2,341 2,055
Alleybux
Did you enjoy it?
How was it conducted?
Refreshments?

Some of my cousins are Hebrew Israelites. I respect it. Theyre not hateful or anything so. I see it no different than any other religion.

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
Well, what did you think?
I enjoyed it.

The praise and worship was a little uncomfortable because I kept thinking of the verse "Don't ye know ye are gods".. felt a little weird trying to worship something outside of myself.

The marriage advice was great - I was worried the teachings would be a little too "patriarchal" for me, but the wife and husband - leaders of the service - delivered the sermon together. I expected her to be overly "deferring" or submissive and she wasn't. He actually was more self-deprecating than her.

At the end they talked about self-sufficiency: growing crops, getting security - not being "sitting ducks", helping to put some of the young ppl through school to learn different trades that may be needed when Babylon falls, bug out bags etc.

I was sold on that last part alone. Regular churches hardly ever talk about that kind of stuff.

There was a white woman in the meeting..I was side-eyeing but no one else seemed to mind.

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
Did you enjoy it?
How was it conducted?
Refreshments?

Some of my cousins are Hebrew Israelites. I respect it. Theyre not hateful or anything so. I see it no different than any other religion.
I came late -- they played games and had fellowship before I got there. Very informal feel to it, children everywhere, which was fine since I'm a mom. I didn't feel the need to exit service every 5 mins just cause lil one made a peep.

No refreshments except coffee I think. But I came late so maybe they had snacks earlier.

They weren't hateful at all. Regular black people as far as I'm concerned. Not like the yelling ass people that get played on youtube.

I thought they were gonna trip because my head wasn't wrapped or covered but they didn't.

brandiBOW

B.O.W
Reaction score
Reactions
32,908 1,242 351
Alleybux
Off top: it went pretty well and the sermon was geared towards marriage and singles who wanted to be married.

I was invited by a family member who had been trying to get me to go for months so finally went today.
Do you feel like the information given to you will benefit you in the future? Did the messages ressonate with you?
Also, do you feel like the energy was positive and non misogynistic?

Ankura

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,172 565 201
Alleybux
Interesting. Surprising to me that they were fine with the white lady there. The encounters I've had with them lead me to believe that they're racist extremists. Once a guy at the bus stop was preaching that only Brown people are going to heaven. Once one of them told me that I should dress more modestly (I had on a v neck t shirt, nothing too extreme). Another time a guy told me that I shouldn't have a white boyfriend.

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
Do you feel like the information given to you will benefit you in the future? Did the messages ressonate with you?
Also, do you feel like the energy was positive and non misogynistic?
Yes. They spoke about the needs of men and women in a relationship/marriage and the importance of fellowship and friendship when dating.

I'm not dating or married but it was helpful. They also talked about different hang ups we all have when approaching relationships (past trauma, defensiveness, anger, attitude problems, distrust etc) -- and not just in romantic situations but with family and friends as well.

Yes...you can tell males are expected to take the lead but the "pastor" does a good job of showing the men in the "congregation" that he defers to his wife and considers her and her input above all, except God. They portray their marriage as more of a partnership than anything.

Actually while I watching them speak it looked like the perfect triangle of "God", man, and woman.

They spoke a lot about men PROVIDING and protecting though which is a great sermon for young black men to hear..and women as well

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
Interesting. Surprising to me that they were fine with the white lady there. The encounters I've had with them lead me to believe that they're racist extremists. Once a guy at the bus stop was preaching that only Brown people are going to heaven. Once one of them told me that I should dress more modestly (I had on a v neck t shirt, nothing too extreme). Another time a guy told me that I shouldn't have a white boyfriend.
LMAO. Yeah..I'm in the south and went to another service with a different Hebrew Israelite church -- they had a white couple in their congregation as well. That congregation also had a black man married to a yt woman but he never brought her to the service.

I think southern Hebrew Israelites may be a bit more laid back than the northern ones but idk.

There were women wearing pants **gasp** in this congregation but they may have been visitors like me.

I think this group is more about fellowshipping and spreading the "truth" to those who want to hear it than trying to berate people and antagonize.

Ankura

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,172 565 201
Alleybux
Yeah I'm in NYC. I'll be more open minded in the future. Glad to hear that all of them aren't like that, I really thought it was part of their whole philosophy.

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
Yeah I'm in NYC. I'll be more open minded in the future. Glad to hear that all of them aren't like that, I really thought it was part of their whole philosophy.
Understood. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to win these people any converts. I don't really subscribe to religion but went as a favor to my mom and was pleasantly surprised.

I hope you have better experiences with them in the future if you do happen across them.

DontUknowIamDA1

Sweet Like Candy!
Reaction score
Reactions
207,836 22,469 2,543
Alleybux
Did you tell him to mind his fµck!ng business? :bashful

S J Snitchie

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,399 237 179
Alleybux
No screaming on street corners, interrupting questions, directing the men to speak first? There was no telling some minion to read Bible versions about 'menstrual cloths' at least 3 times? I'm shocked.

Last edited:

dreamwriter

✧⋆. Gracious Queen .⋆✧
Reaction score
Reactions
13,372 97 102
Alleybux
Be aware that in some of the groups, the men think they are literal kings and deserve harems.

They are collecting "concubines" and "wives" and using the Bible to justify it.
I have no evidence that these screaming angry men have any money to maintain multiple women.

Some of them are also terrible anti-Semitics who support Hitler...so they are evil too...after all their people went through they have no sympathy for others. They will use a translation of Jewish peoples' scriptures to justify their hate, though.

Reminder: I said SOME are like this, not all.

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
"
Be aware that in some of the groups, the men think they are literal kings and deserve harems.

They are collecting "concubines" and "wives" and using the Bible to justify it.
I have no evidence that these screaming angry men have any money to maintain multiple women.

Some of them are also terrible anti-Semitics who support Hitler...so they are evil too...after all their people went through they have no sympathy for others. They will use a translation of Jewish peoples' scriptures to justify their hate, though.

Reminder: I said SOME are like this, not all.
"after all THEIR people went through"?

Are you yt? I'm not a Hebrew Israelite but enslaved Africans on American soil are my ppl as well. What is your ethnicity?

All of the men in this congregation had only one wife to my knowledge. Believe me, I have done independent research long before I went to my first meeting. I'm aware of some of their antics. I went to this meeting as a favor to a loved one.

dreamwriter

✧⋆. Gracious Queen .⋆✧
Reaction score
Reactions
13,372 97 102
Alleybux
"

"after all THEIR people went through"?

Are you yt? I'm not a Hebrew Israelite but enslaved Africans on American soil are my ppl as well. What is your ethnicity?

All of the men in this congregation had only one wife to my knowledge. Believe me, I have done independent research long before I went to my first meeting. I'm aware of some of their antics. I went to this meeting as a favor to a loved one.
As an African if I try to claim your experiences as mine, I'm sure you will be annoyed by that.

If your congregation is decent then that's a relief, at least that group might be well-meaning in some way.

PlumpRump

Sacred.
Reaction score
Reactions
53,660 2,477 2,371
Alleybux
As an African if I try to claim your experiences as mine, I'm sure you will be annoyed by that.

If your congregation is decent then that's a relief, at least that group might be well-meaning in some way.
Oh ok. Understood.