Quantcast

I'm 100% African, but I'm related to slaves? How?

FORMERLYKNOWNASPRINCE

The Real Tiffany
Reaction score
Reactions
24,880 612 227
Alleybux
By the post title I don’t get what you’re upset about, being related to a slave or a slave trader? If one of your ancestors were captured or was selling people off, I understand your outrage for the latter but not the prior? If a person was taken as slave how could you be mad at them for that? They were the victim? But I digress, regardless what the outcome is I hope u find what you’re looking for. Whatever the outcome just know you can’t change it. So don’t get too upset.

This is personally why I haven’t done one. 1. Because I don’t want my government having my DNA on file. And 2. I don’t want to find something I can’t live with.

But yeah what are you mad about?

The Handler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,557 135 222
Alleybux
What is it you didn't understand in my post? Africans in Africa, the americas and the UK fought against slavery from day one. Or are you only interested in what white media tells you?

By the post title I don’t get what you’re upset about, being related to a slave or a slave trader? If one of your ancestors were captured or was selling people off, I understand your outrage for the latter but not the prior? If a person was taken as slave how could you be mad at them for that? They were the victim? But I digress, regardless what the outcome is I hope u find what you’re looking for. Whatever the outcome just know you can’t change it. So don’t get too upset.

This is personally why I haven’t done one. 1. Because I don’t want my government having my DNA on file. And 2. I don’t want to find something I can’t live with.

But yeah what are you mad about?
Hi I'm not upset about being related to DOS at all. But I will try to amend my title, since I didn't realise it was coming across that way.

I'm confused as to why my oral/written history is different from the information I am getting from my DNA tests.

I was told we have no white blood in us and yet we have a possible french relative from 5-10 generations ago.

I was told we lived in a remote part of Africa so we were not affected by the slave trade. And now I come to find out one of my ancestors may have been enslaved.

Or it's possible the white french man/woman could've been a slave trader. If you've read my post you know I do not want any admixture in me. Especially, considering both past and present actions of the French towards Africa.

Or it could've been a relationship between a french person and one of my relatives.

Either way, some thing isn't adding up and I came to LSA to help me figure out the pieces.

Does that make sense?

Heathenrites

Dancer, heal thyself
Reaction score
Reactions
35,835 967 477
Alleybux

I'm aware of the history. What's "far-fetched" is for you to go from the incredulity present in your original post ("How is it possible I'm related to slaves?!!" when the answer is the samn damn way all other 100% Africans related to slaves are... like??) to "My enslaved ancestor must have been a warrior!" fantasies. Not to mention some of the other questionable stuff you've said.

I'll leave you to whatever it is you're doing with this thread. People far kinder and more trusting than me can continue to play with you.

The Handler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,557 135 222
Alleybux
I'm aware of the history. What's "far-fetched" is for you to go from the incredulity present in your original post ("How is it possible I'm related to slaves?!!" when the answer is the samn damn way all other 100% Africans related to slaves are... like??) to "My enslaved ancestor must have been a warrior!" fantasies. Not to mention some of the other questionable stuff you've said.

I'll leave you to whatever it is you're doing with this thread. People far kinder and more trusting than me can continue to play with you.
Didn't you say you were going to leave two days ago? Bye boo and stop derailing.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,411 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
How old are these relatives and what is their exact relation to you?

Slavery in the U.S. ended around 1883-1885. The last known import of slaves into the United States was around 1859-1860.

My grandma was born in 1912; just 27-29 years post-slavery. Therefore, I’m merely three or four generations removed from slavery. Three if my great grandparents were enslaved or four if my great-great grandparents were enslaved which the latter likely were.

Thus, it’s plausible for me and you to share a great-great grandparent. Even if they weren’t enslaved per se. In your particular situation, it can mean that one, or some, of your great-great grandparents’ offspring were captured and brought to the America’s.

Slavery was abolished in the US in 1865, my dear. Maybe you're thinking of Brazil, where it wasn't abolished until the 1880s. And the Transatlantic slave trade was abolished in 1807/08.

Surf

Your Slut Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
72,361 6,568 8,536
Alleybux
Food for thought, have you ever considered the possibility that your relatives captured and raped slaves and that could be how your relation came about??

That’s is the most probable answer that an auntie or uncle was captured and Sold

Which is why I never get AADOS always acting like we the only ones who suffered in America, like ppl have relatives here also

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,411 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
What is it you didn't understand in my post? Africans in Africa, the americas and the UK fought against slavery from day one. Or are you only interested in what white media tells you?

Hi I'm not upset about being related to DOS at all. But I will try to amend my title, since I didn't realise it was coming across that way.

I'm confused as to why my oral/written history is different from the information I am getting from my DNA tests.

I was told we have no white blood in us and yet we have a possible french relative from 5-10 generations ago.

I was told we lived in a remote part of Africa so we were not affected by the slave trade. And now I come to find out one of my ancestors may have been enslaved.

Or it's possible the white french man/woman could've been a slave trader. If you've read my post you know I do not want any admixture in me. Especially, considering both past and present actions of the French towards Africa.

Or it could've been a relationship between a french person and one of my relatives.

Either way, some thing isn't adding up and I came to LSA to help me figure out the pieces.

Does that make sense?

How are you jumping from slavery to the present day? What about colonialism?

Also, during the early years of the Transatlantic slave trade, there were mixed race people who lived and traded on the coasts. Go find a copy of Alan Taylor's American Colonies: The settlement of North America to 1800, which discusses these "Atlantic Creoles."

If this is really puzzling you, go do some historical research or join a genealogy forum. Based on many of the discussions on here, most fonts have a poor grasp of history and are only muddling the conversation.

The Handler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,557 135 222
Alleybux
How are you jumping from slavery to the present day? What about colonialism?

Also, during the early years of the Transatlantic slave trade, there were mixed race people who lived and traded on the coasts. Go find a copy of Alan Taylor's American Colonies: The settlement of North America to 1800, which discusses these "Atlantic Creoles."

If this is really puzzling you, go do some historical research or join a genealogy forum. Based on many of the discussions on here, most fonts have a poor grasp of history and are only muddling the conversation.
Could you expound on your first point? Also, let me know which genealogy forum I should join.

Cal Bear

City of San Diego
Reaction score
Reactions
84,327 2,923 1,712
Alleybux
Slavery was abolished in the US in 1865, my dear. Maybe you're thinking of Brazil, where it wasn't abolished until the 1880s. And the Transatlantic slave trade was abolished in 1807/08.

You’re right. I typed it wrong then calculated the numbers wrong. I knew it was 40 something years before my grandma was born. Point still stands that it wasn’t that long ago. At least not in relation to how many generations removed I am from it. People with younger families are probably more generations removed.

But the last import of slaves into the US was 1860.

714806C3-41C0-4D19-A8A6-7F9F53292A34.jpeg

Last edited:

Cal Bear

City of San Diego
Reaction score
Reactions
84,327 2,923 1,712
Alleybux
I’ve posted these before. The captions on the pictures are written to my dad as these were sent to him while he was in the military.

This is my grandma with her grandma (my dad’s mom and great grandma). I assume that this was taken in 1917 or so.

5262410E-93CC-4304-B425-5790BEB3F96B.jpeg

This is my grandma’s mom (my dad’s grandma).

wsqjv6.jpg

This is my grandma’s grandparents (my dad’s great grandparents. My dad was named after his great grandpa).

3D03609B-E224-42EF-8FC0-918B748AF4A7.jpeg

I was trying to find a pic of me and my grandma, but have to go to work. She passed away at 98 in 2011 while I was in college.

On and On and On and On...
Reaction score
Reactions
95,972 4,159 569
Alleybux
The thing that people refuse to believe is that Africans were being smuggled into the US well after the civil war. We know of the slave ship that came to Alabama, but you think there weren't evil white men still thinking of ingenious means of skirting around the anti-slave trade laws and doing what they wanted on the down low? We also know that in some parts of the deep south, slavery under different means didn't cease to exist until the 1960s-1970s. One of my Igbo history professors in college said one of his grandmother's sisters was sold into slavery and he was only 40 something years old at the time he said this, so that wasn't that long ago especially when you place that within the context of recent African American history. OP, I hope you find answers. This is a elephant that I think alot of historians are purposefully overlooking because it would just strengthen the AA's case for reparations. And there are alot more 100% African African Americans than people realize because they come from these Africans that came here fairly recently. It was a small number compared to the AA population but I do believe they are out there.

masonoh

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
143 5 33
Alleybux

Does that make sense?

"Or it could've been a relationship between a french person and one of my relatives."

As your DNA is 100% African, and not 0.04, 1%, 2%, etc., believe the statement above is the case.

The Handler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,557 135 222
Alleybux
The thing that people refuse to believe is that Africans were being smuggled into the US well after the civil war. We know of the slave ship that came to Alabama, but you think there weren't evil white men still thinking of ingenious means of skirting around the anti-slave trade laws and doing what they wanted on the down low? We also know that in some parts of the deep south, slavery under different means didn't cease to exist until the 1960s-1970s. One of my Igbo history professors in college said one of his grandmother's sisters was sold into slavery and he was only 40 something years old at the time he said this, so that wasn't that long ago especially when you place that within the context of recent African American history. OP, I hope you find answers. This is a elephant that I think alot of historians are purposefully overlooking because it would just strengthen the AA's case for reparations. And there are alot more 100% African African Americans than people realize because they come from these Africans that came here fairly recently. It was a small number compared to the AA population but I do believe they are out there.
Thank you for sharing this

The Handler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,557 135 222
Alleybux
My
"Or it could've been a relationship between a french person and one of my relatives."

As your DNA is 100% African, and not 0.04, 1%, 2%, etc., believe the statement above is the case.
DNA is 100% for the last five generations. It ends up being less pure between 5-10 gens back

AnnDee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
23,410 675 249
Alleybux
That Alabama ship was before the Civil War. I think forms of slavery continued to exist but I don't think there would have been much incentive to import African slaves after the Civil War. The Reconstruction Era saw many black people elected to political office, going to integrated schools. I don't think the racists would have wanted to bring in more black people around that time especially ones who hadn't experience cultural and language erasure and complete degradation of their self esteem. I think most people that came after the CW likely came voluntarily as cheap labor..

On and On and On and On...
Reaction score
Reactions
95,972 4,159 569
Alleybux
That Alabama ship was before the Civil War. I think forms of slavery continued to exist but I don't think there would have been much incentive to import African slaves after the Civil War. The Reconstruction Era saw many black people elected to political office, going to integrated schools. I don't think the racists would have wanted to bring in more black people around that time especially ones who hadn't experience cultural and language erasure and complete degradation of their self esteem. I think most people that came after the CW likely came voluntarily as cheap labor..

I don't think the number was significant, maybe in the hundreds or low thousands. I just don't see whites totally not trafficking Africans just because it was against the law. Just like with the Alabama ship, there could have been instances where they trafficked Africans in for various reasons. Just a theory of mine.

xamaycana

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,721 72 70
Alleybux
You are liely related to an illegally traded kidnapped African or a Liberated African who later made it to the Caribbean as an indentured servant( contract laborer) . The slave trade become illegal around 1806, but there was a lot of illegal slave trading. If the boats were intercepted by the British navy, the enslaved were liberated and resettled (primarily in Sierra Leone) When slavery ended in the West Indies in 1835, there was a demand for labor. Many liberated Africans were enticed to immigrate to the Caribbean between 1840-1860s. One line of my family is descended from Liberated Africans. I have a Nigerian 4th cousin, with whom I still share a family resemblance. We are working together to try and identify our common ancestor who is likely my 4th great grandparent.

Naomii

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,166 671 347
Alleybux
You are liely related to an illegally traded kidnapped African or a Liberated African who later made it to the Caribbean as an indentured servant( contract laborer) . The slave trade become illegal around 1806, but there was a lot of illegal slave trading. If the boats were intercepted by the British navy, the enslaved were liberated and resettled (primarily in Sierra Leone) When slavery ended in the West Indies in 1835, there was a demand for labor. Many liberated Africans were enticed to immigrate to the Caribbean between 1840-1860s. One line of my family is descended from Liberated Africans. I have a Nigerian 4th cousin, with whom I still share a family resemblance. We are working together to try and identify our common ancestor who is likely my 4th great grandparent.

Hey do you know of any online sources that talks about African indentured servants in the Caribbean? I too have a very close (4th cousin) Nigerian relative. I was wondering if maybe we were related that way.
I am really interested in where these Africans came from and which islands they went to.

xamaycana

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,721 72 70
Alleybux
Hey do you know of any online sources that talks about African indentured servants in the Caribbean? I too have a very close (4th cousin) Nigerian relative. I was wondering if maybe we were related that way.
I am really interested in where these Africans came from and which islands they went to.
Hi Rayne,
You could start with this site Liberated Africans Also do a Google search for "Liberated Africans" or "African Indentured Servants 1800s" There are two very good books that I'll send you the title of later that had tons of information. If you live in the UK, the National Archives has some good information. The liberated Africans were sent to most islands in the British West Indies and British Guiana. If you have African 4th cousins as a West Indian then it sounds like you are descended from Liberated Africans . What island are your family from? I'll message you with the titles of the books.

Naomii

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,166 671 347
Alleybux
Hi Rayne,
You could start with this site Liberated Africans Also do a Google search for "Liberated Africans" or "African Indentured Servants 1800s" There are two very good books that I'll send you the title of later that had tons of information. If you live in the UK, the National Archives has some good information. The liberated Africans were sent to most islands in the British West Indies and British Guiana. If you have African 4th cousins as a West Indian then it sounds like you are descended from Liberated Africans . What island are your family from? I'll message you with the titles of the books.

Thanks a lot. I always tried googling but African Indentured servants but was always given info about slavery or Chinese and Indians servitude. I am from St Vincent.

Sallie Blair

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
449,411 14,182 6,599
Alleybux
Could you expound on your first point? Also, let me know which genealogy forum I should join.

There was racial mixing during colonialism. White Europeans often had relations with African women. Carina Ray's Crossing the Color Line talks about this in Colonial Ghana. The mixed race children often married back into their African tribes.

The Handler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,557 135 222
Alleybux
There was racial mixing during colonialism. White Europeans often had relations with African women. Carina Ray's Crossing the Color Line talks about this in Colonial Ghana. The mixed race children often married back into their African tribes.
Thank you. Are there any other books you can recommend

AgentX

Reaction score
Reactions
39,736 4,139 10,866
Alleybux
Sounds like your common ancestor was taken from Africa in the late 1800s. Not that complex, he or she fathered or mothered a child in Africa and was taken and had new kids while enslaved. Not rocket science

ForRealDoe?

PROUD BLACK AMERICAN
Reaction score
Reactions
66,872 5,519 13,393
Alleybux
Late to the party, but here goes-

1. The enslaved could’ve left siblings behind. Your ancestor continued his/her lineage in Africa. At the same time, the enslaved brother/sister was creating a line of your cousins in America.

2. Living in a remote area didn’t matter. Tons of slaves recounted being walked for days from the interior and other parts of their countries to holding areas and the slave ships. (Ex: Barracoon) The slave trade couldn’t have happened without this help from other Africans. Whites didn’t know the land like that.

3. The 3rd/4th cousin thing makes sense. That would put your enslaved relative here before the end of slavery.

4. Once here, white blood got into the mix.

The Handler

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,557 135 222
Alleybux
Maybe one of your relatives were captured and taken to the America's, UK, or Carribean and worked as a slave... Where did the test say your enslaved relative and his/her descendants is located?
It turns out this this was the case. I think a relative on my mother's side (a great great great grand uncle or aunt) was captured and taken to Jamaica.

ForRealDoe?

PROUD BLACK AMERICAN
Reaction score
Reactions
66,872 5,519 13,393
Alleybux
Wait! OP, if your results show you being 100% African, there’s no reason for YOU to be concerned about having white blood in your mix.

Secondly, did you actually reach out to these matches to determine whether they’re actually ADOS???? Africans migrate a lot as your family did. Your matches families may have started in Africa but migrated to the US.

Tnorfeurt

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,348 176 159
Alleybux
My dads great grandfather was born 1800-1810. I don’t know when exactly. My dads in his late 50s he did an ancestry test for me.

Another interesting thing is that identical twins share the same dna so if identical kids have children they share enough dna for tests to think they’re half siblings I believe. Just another possibility but genetics is random, my dad matches one of his 3rd cousins at 10cm and their sibling at 0 and he’s definitely related to both.

BigMikeHere

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,636 2,251 1,807
Alleybux
Where talking 4 generations ago, so probably post civil war era, using my family as a ruler, I was born in 71, my father in 30, grandfather in 1898 and his father in 1868 to give you some idea how it plays out in scale with no extremes ie a 60 yr old with a wife of 20, not impossible in those days.

Slavery may have been over at the time, though the results of the DNA test could quite possibly be off, nothing new, but because they're in the islands I'm going to say you had a relative who was a sailor, he may have started a family or two, or 3 in different spots, not unknown in the trade, they then subsequently migrated themselves or they followed their father's profession.

Caribbean families did come to Coastal Georgia, Savanh, in those days and it was also a port of call for sailors, returning to the first point.

All conjecture of course, your relation may have got around alot or the time tables where off.

godisgood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,786 4,464 2,289
Alleybux
Sounds like your common ancestor was taken from Africa in the late 1800s. Not that complex, he or she fathered or mothered a child in Africa and was taken and had new kids while enslaved. Not rocket science
Yes sorry I know this is an old post but what I don't understand is that she says she has found relatives who are African-American, Jamaican, from Barbados, Haitian, Puerto-Rican, does it mean that her African relative who was taken to America had children who went on to immigrate to Jamaica, Barbados, Haiti, Puerto Rican. I can understand her saying she found a relative match in one country, i.e America for example but I can't understand how her one African ancestor who was taken could have children who would move to these other Caribbean and Latin countries

godisgood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,786 4,464 2,289
Alleybux
Late to the party, but here goes-

1. The enslaved could’ve left siblings behind. Your ancestor continued his/her lineage in Africa. At the same time, the enslaved brother/sister was creating a line of your cousins in America.

2. Living in a remote area didn’t matter. Tons of slaves recounted being walked for days from the interior and other parts of their countries to holding areas and the slave ships. (Ex: Barracoon) The slave trade couldn’t have happened without this help from other Africans. Whites didn’t know the land like that.

3. The 3rd/4th cousin thing makes sense. That would put your enslaved relative here before the end of slavery.

4. Once here, white blood got into the mix.
It's a shame but I have never read any actual accounts from an African person taken into the slave trade in the Americas. The only continental African account I have heard of is from Olaudah Equino who was Nigerian(Igbo) and he described being on the slave ship and managed to find another Igbo person as well, so someone who could speak the same language as him and how he saw many African people, from different African countries, who were being whipped and being beaten up if they were disobedient and how the smell on the slave ship was really bad and how many African people were throwing up because they were pilling bodies on top of each other but it sounds like you have read other accounts from other continental African people, I think this is really important that we hear the voices and stories from the actual African people who was taken. I did remember a story about a girl from Angola taking to America during the slave trade and how she recounted how she was literally walking in her village and was kidnapped as a young girl by a random stranger, someone she did not know, into the hands of white people and how in the conditions were horrific in the slave ship but she was never beaten up, how they never beat up the African children on the slave ship and how it was mostly the African men. I cried reading the story. I read it from a website called slave voyages but that account was not written by her but was written by her husband who was African-American because she could not write but he could write. The only thing I was at least satisfied with was that she knew what African country she came from and it is documented which is good as sadly too many African people who were transported to the Americas did not pass on which African tribe or group they came from

ForRealDoe?

PROUD BLACK AMERICAN
Reaction score
Reactions
66,872 5,519 13,393
Alleybux
It's a shame but I have never read any actual accounts from an African person taken into the slave trade in the Americas. The only continental African account I have heard of is from Olaudah Equino who was Nigerian(Igbo) and he described being on the slave ship and managed to find another Igbo person as well, so someone who could speak the same language as him and how he saw many African people, from different African countries, who were being whipped and being beaten up if they were disobedient and how the smell on the slave ship was really bad and how many African people were throwing up because they were pilling bodies on top of each other but it sounds like you have read other accounts from other continental African people, I think this is really important that we hear the voices and stories from the actual African people who was taken. I did remember a story about a girl from Angola taking to America during the slave trade and how she recounted how she was literally walking in her village and was kidnapped as a young girl by a random stranger, someone she did not know, into the hands of white people and how in the conditions were horrific in the slave ship but she was never beaten up, how they never beat up the African children on the slave ship and how it was mostly the African men. I cried reading the story. I read it from a website called slave voyages but that account was not written by her but was written by her husband who was African-American because she could not write but he could write. The only thing I was at least satisfied with was that she knew what African country she came from and it is documented which is good as sadly too many African people who were transported to the Americas did not pass on which African tribe or group they came from
And it’s a good thing they didn’t pass on that tribalism BS. Our black UNITY is what got us to where we are today. Could you imagine the Civil Rights Movement working with some of us representing the X tribe and others being from the Y, Z, L, M, N, O & P tribes?

Anyhoo the book I referred to is Barracoon by Zoe’s Neale Hurston. It tells the story of Cudjoe Lewis who was approx 19 when he was captured after a tribe barbarically did a sneak attack on his village early one morning as they slept. He recalls beheadings and them carrying heads on sticks. Just CRAZY stuff.