Quantcast

I'm not ashamed of God, but...

LaVieBoheme

Block and ignore the racists. Don’t feed them.
Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
I'm not and never have been the type of person to mention God in every sentence I speak or write.

However, I have a friend like that, and I'm wondering if it's me who is the problem, or my friend.

The conversation will go like this:

Me: Hey friend! How are you doing today?

Friend: Blessed and highly favored, the Lord has brought me from a mighty long way and I have got to shout for joy because had it not been for King Jesus, I may not be here.

Me: Yes, that is so true. What are your plans today?

Friend: There is no plan that I can make without putting first the plans of My Father! If it is in His will, I am thinking about getting some ice cream today.

Me: Ooh yes, I love ice cream! Do you want to meet up? I can give you a ride.

Friend: Praise God! Yes, my sister in Christ, I would be so blessed to get ice cream with you. I love you so much as our Good Father loves us.

Me: Aww, I love you too! Okay, I'm on my way.

Friend: Praise Jesus!

Now, I really care about my friend, and I know she is grateful for all that God has done for her, but I sometimes feel like it is overkill.

Like, I will say Thank God or something like that here or there, but there is not a conversation we can have that doesn't go like the above example.

Of course, I could be wrong in this situation because the Bible does say "His praise should continuously be in my mouth."

So, is this a problem with me, or is it okay that this annoys me sometimes?

pinkkryptonite

Bonnets 'r Us
Reaction score
Reactions
149,219 5,006 464
Alleybux
I know a few people like that. Oftentimes they are overcompensating for something like guilt or lack of Christian social skills because they are new to the church.

Other times it's because they've really been through some deep stuff and putting God in everything is their way of coping.

Sometimes its just contrived. I've been around a lot of evil people who throw God's name around all will nilly.

I agree it can be a bit off putting when a person does it ALL the time regardless of their reason.

sierra

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
92,584 6,132 3,640
Alleybux
I'm not ashamed to acknowledge him either per Timothy 10:33 "But whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven"

HOWEVER, yeah umm, no. Your friend would annoy the hck out of me w/allat:atwitsend Heck, I can't even stand it when people say "have a blessed day" :lol:

upload_2021-3-14_19-50-41.png

90DayBeyonce

"Shameika said I had potential"
Reaction score
Reactions
195,519 5,531 508
Alleybux
I knew a guy like this except he would talk about winning souls to Jesus nonstop. He also did it with this weird thousand-yard stare like he was forever looking over your shoulder to see if Jesus was nearby.

He was foine as hell though.

Every last woman in my campus group (me included) was stoked to talk to him the first time we saw him... until about three minutes into the conversation when it would dawn on you that dude was nuts.

After that, we just huddled in a group and took bets on how long it would take the next chick who walked up to him to moonwalk away.

Typical conversation:

Person: Hey, David how are you? It's nice to see you again!

David (deadpan): It will be nice when we can bring more souls to the Lord.

Person: Um, yes. Anyway, we were going out for pizza afterward. Do you want to join us?

David: Will we be witnessing on the way?

Person: Well, it's just across the street. I think we were just going to eat.

David: It is our responsibility to share the love of Jesus!

Person: Well, catch you later!

LaVieBoheme

Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
She sounds newly saved lmao

She's a new christian

We met at church about 7 years ago, and she was going there before I was.

She has a ministry and is a sweetheart.

Other times it's because they've really been through some deep stuff and putting God in everything is their way of coping.

This is most likely the situation. She has been through a LOT! Like, I can't even get into all she’s been through.

But I thought that maybe she'd just start talking "regular" after a few years, but nope. If anything she is doubling down and doing it more.

Even my family members who know her were like "Is she super saved? Even the old school church mothers don't talk like that."

But I guess I should be used to it by now, but instead I just really want her to keep it real with me.

If she's having a bad day, she will never open up about it. She will just go harder with the praise talk. And that's not a problem, but I don't always feel like it's authentic.

Like instead of actually feeling and thinking about her problems, she says "But God" and keeps it moving.

One time when we were speaking, she dropped her guard with me and I saw the hurt and anger in her eyes, but she quickly covered it up and started her praise talk instead of telling me how she really felt.

Shellzzz

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,221 25 4
Alleybux
I'm not and never have been the type of person to mention God in every sentence I speak or write.

However, I have a friend like that, and I'm wondering if it's me who is the problem, or my friend.

Friend: Blessed and highly favored, the Lord has brought me from a mighty long way and I have got to shout for joy because had it not been for King Jesus, I may not be here.

Friend: There is no plan that I can make without putting first the plans of My Father! If it is in His will, I am thinking about getting some ice cream today.

Friend: Praise God! Yes, my sister in Christ, I would be so blessed to get ice cream with you. I love you so much as our Good Father loves us.

Now, I really care about my friend, and I know she is grateful for all that God has done for her, but I sometimes feel like it is overkill.

Like, I will say Thank God or something like that here or there, but there is not a conversation we can have that doesn't go like the above example.

Of course, I could be wrong in this situation because the Bible does say "His praise should continuously be in my mouth."

Overzealous probably. I can't even began to tell you how you should approach her with this concern however.

MZJazzmine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,779 243 206
Alleybux
Hmmmm....She has learned how to speak "christianese" which for her may sound very spiritual considering the "church" culture/environment she's probably a part of. It's all learned behavior.

However as someone who came out of that kind of system, it now sounds very toxic and fake to me. There is such a thing as "toxic faith". I've also found unfortunately that people like this are usually biblically illiterate and easily spiritually seduced...sorry but yeah...

You're not the problem...

ETA: Sounds like she's picked up some Word Of Faith (WOF) stuff from some false teacher/televangelist or their books ugghhh...

Last edited:

Shellzzz

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,221 25 4
Alleybux
We met at church about 7 years ago, and she was going there before I was.

She has a ministry and is a sweetheart.

This is most likely the situation. She has been through a LOT! Like, I can't even get into all she’s been through.

But I thought that maybe she'd just start talking "regular" after a few years, but nope. If anything she is doubling down and doing it more.

Even my family members who know her were like "Is she super saved? Even the old school church mothers don't talk like that."

But I guess I should be used to it by now, but instead I just really want her to keep it real with me.

If she's having a bad day, she will never open up about it. She will just go harder with the praise talk. And that's not a problem, but I don't always feel like it's authentic.

Like instead of actually feeling and thinking about her problems, she says "But God" and keeps it moving.

One time when we were speaking, she dropped her guard with me and I saw the hurt and anger in her eyes, but she quickly covered it up and started her praise talk instead of telling me how she really felt.
She probably needs a good cry. People who are super saved or spiritual always see the world with the lens that they are fighting the devil all the time. I used to be like that. And I kinda sensed that I was doing too much but the church had me feeling like that just carrying my burdens to Jesus was all I needed to do. "Baby you don't really have to tell nobody your business because God got everythang that you need." Have you ever tried to open up to her about your concerns?

LaVieBoheme

Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
it now sounds very toxic and fake to me.

That's the part that’s really bothering me. I have tried to keep it real with her and have opened up, and yes a couple of curse words have accidentally made their way out, but she's so buttoned up sometimes, like it's un-Christian to express anger or disappointment.

Also, I think I made a thread about her before regarding her health. She has ignored a lot of doctor's advice because she feels like God will be the ultimate authority. But it's almost like her "faith" is causing her to not take responsibility for her health, since "it's in God's hands."

LaVieBoheme

Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
Have you ever tried to open up to her about your concerns

Not about the way she speaks, but more about her expressing her true feelings.

We kind of fell out for a minute because I felt like she was always judging me, and not being real about her feelings. But we are trying to get back into a friendly connection again.

Shellzzz

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,221 25 4
Alleybux
Not about the way she speaks, but more about her expressing her true feelings.

We kind of fell out for a minute because I felt like she was always judging me, and not being real about her feelings. But we are trying to get back into a friendly connection again.
Yeah I was the type that would keep a wall up and review everything you said in order to love you but also to keep myself from being spotted from the world. People would just be telling me some things that were real and I would take that opportunity instead of listening to them to almost preach to them. Also, I would be overly conscious about gossiping. Not saying you should entertain any type of conversation. But I was super guarded about what I would share. When you say your true feelings what exactly do you mean? Are you open to give examples?

MZJazzmine

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,779 243 206
Alleybux
That's the part that’s really bothering me. I have tried to keep it real with her and have opened up, and yes a couple of curse words have accidentally made their way out, but she's so buttoned up sometimes, like it's un-Christian to express anger or disappointment.

Also, I think I made a thread about her before regarding her health. She has ignored a lot of doctor's advice because she feels like God will be the ultimate authority. But it's almost like her "faith" is causing her to not take responsibility for her health, since "it's in God's hands."

Yeah...what you're describing is either WOFer stuff or Pentecostalism. Unfortunately there's A LOT of fear involved. I could really say some things here but instead I'll be praying for her and you too. God has all kinds of ways of breaking yokes of bondage. You're a good friend...

LaVieBoheme

Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
Yeah I was the type that would keep a wall up and review everything you said in order to love you but also to keep myself from being spotted from the world. People would just be telling me some things that were real and I would take that opportunity instead of listening to them to almost preach to them. Also, I would be overly conscious about gossiping. Not saying you should entertain any type of conversation. But I was super guarded about what I would share. When you say your true feelings what exactly do you mean? Are you open to give examples?

For example, I was REALLY pissed about police killings and was discussing Black Lives Matter with her, and she basically told me that all our lives matter to Jesus and that I shouldn't be so angry and racist against the cops.

She has called me racist several times (which really made me mad) when I express some differences between white and Black people.

Something happened to her that I thought was crazy, but when she explained that the person who did it was white, I realized that it was probably racism that caused them to act that way toward her, but since they were "Christians" she refused to believe me.

Shellzzz

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,221 25 4
Alleybux
For example, I was REALLY pissed about police killings and was discussing Black Lives Matter with her, and she basically told me that all our lives matter to Jesus and that I shouldn't be so angry and racist against the cops.

She has called me racist several times (which really made me mad) when I express some differences between white and Black people.

Something happened to her that I thought was crazy, but when she explained that the person who did it was white, I realized that it was probably racism that caused them to act that way toward her, but since they were "Christians" she refused to believe me.
That's a deep subject ma'am. Those discussions on racism and Black Lives Matter are extremely inflammatory. I understand why you were upset with her dismissing the fact that even though all lives matter to Jesus that's not the basis for you bringing up the BLM movement. She could have acknowledged that blacks were being killed and that their killers were "wrong" for killing them. Christ does call us to peace. But I think many people overlook the churches role in maintaining that peace. In fact if you just do a search of justice and the bible over the net, you can find many instances where God calls us to be the voices against oppression and killing.

Now I question the motives of some in that BLM organization. They have collected so much money. I'm just not sure of how they are allocating those resources. Furthermore, some of the people they are holding in high esteem that may have been killed by the police have sketchy criminal backgrounds and are being revered as saints. I don't know if you are aware of that. And I'm not saying that the police officers were justified in killing them.

However, black people have a long range history of oppression and discrimination. And all Christians especially if they are not black do not take part in efforts to stop dehumanizing and excluding and killing blacks. But they should. Racism should bother everybody and especially if they claim they are Christian. As a Christian we know that God made all men in His image. And that he's not a respecter of persons. So why should we have superiority complexes?

I have a problem with mass incarceration, especially since they are finding that many of those black men behind bars are not even guilty. It's a modern day slave encampment. Businesses are profiting majorly off of the backs of many innocent people housed there.

Yes ma'am I don't get how you're a racist for exposing a racist for an unjustified killing though. I mean is that the only reason that she labeled you as a racist?

Last edited:

LaVieBoheme

Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
That's a deep subject ma'am. Those discussions on racism and Black Lives Matter are extremely inflammatory. I understand why you were upset with her dismissing the fact that even though all lives matter to Jesus that's not the basis for you brining up the BLM movement. She could have acknowledged that blacks were being killed and that their killers were "wrong" for killing them. Christ does call us to peace. But I think many people overlook the churches role in maintaining that peace. In fact if you just do a search of justice and the bible over the net, you can find many instances where God calls us to be the voices against oppression and killing.

Now I question the motives of some in that BLM organization. They have collected so much money. I'm just not sure of how they are allocating those resources. Furthermore, some of the people they are holding in high esteem that may have been killed by the police have sketchy criminal backgrounds and are being revered as saints. I don't know if you are aware of that. And I'm not saying that the police officers were justified in killing them.

However, black people have a long range history of oppression and discrimination. And all Christians especially if they are not black do not take part in efforts to stop dehumanizing and excluding and killing blacks. But they should. Racism should bother everybody and especially if they claim they are Christian. As a Christian we know that God made all men in His image. And that he's not a respecter of persons. So why should we have superiority complexes?

I have a problem with mass incarceration, especially since they are finding that many of those black men behind bars are not even guilty. It's a modern day slave encampment. Businesses are profiting majorly off of the backs of many innocent people housed there.

Yes ma'am I don't get how you're a racist for exposing a racist for an unjustified killing though. I mean is that the only reason that she labeled you as a racist?

I don't necessarily ascribe to the Black Lives Matter movement as far as the organization itself goes, but I do believe that we deserve justice and the unjust killings of Black people needs to end.

I do feel that I am more racially sensitive to things that she is, and I speak up when I think racism or discrimination has occurred. Also, if I perceive racism, even if it's not overt, I'll point it out.

She is more along the lines of everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and even then we cannot judge anyone, only God can, so there isn't really a need to protest, etc. We just need to be prayerful and love others.

Which, I admit that I did go kind of far sometimes, but never in a retaliatory way. But I think she felt like I focused on race and politics too much.

That's another reason why I thought about putting our friendship on pause. Especially in the wake of the protests last year.

Shellzzz

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,221 25 4
Alleybux
I don't necessarily ascribe to the Black Lives Matter movement as far as the organization itself goes, but I do believe that we deserve justice and the unjust killings of Black people needs to end.

I do feel that I am more racially sensitive to things that she is, and I speak up when I think racism or discrimination has occurred. Also, if I perceive racism, even if it's not overt, I'll point it out.

She is more along the lines of everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and even then we cannot judge anyone, only God can, so there isn't really a need to protest, etc. We just need to be prayerful and love others.

Which, I admit that I did go kind of far sometimes, but never in a retaliatory way. But I think she felt like I focused on race and politics too much.

That's another reason why I thought about putting our friendship on pause. Especially in the wake of the protests last year.
Oh okay gotcha. And the Christian way is to speak up. Proverbs 31:8 and Ephesians 5:11 says something along those lines. We never solved anything as a people being silent on everything. I am a witness though that politics can make you sick. You are probably dealing with somebody who has been through a debate or two on politics as well.

Last edited:

CuuntyAunty

I can’t teach you my magic…
Reaction score
Reactions
101,273 5,078 2,953
Alleybux

The way my nerves are set up I couldn’t be bothered...

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,448 13,176 1,853
Alleybux

She uses godtalk as a defensive method. She does not have the skills required to analyze race, discrimination and politics.

Since you want to continue a friendship with her, you'll have to figure out the neutral topics and the boundaries of your friendship - the space where you feel comfortable engaging her.

But I think this thread is more about wanting permission to pause the friendship. So give yourself permission.

It's ok to pause friendships and/or to stop making parts of yourself available to people who don't understand or respect you.

Eternal Love

Renewing my Mind
Reaction score
Reactions
9,211 73 30
Alleybux
Hello!

I wanted to shed a different perspective to your friend's devotion to God!

So I used to think similarly to you about those who were very devout to God, but then I became a born again, Holy Spirit-filled Christian this year after enduring a really tough last year. I sought to know God in a much different approach than what church has ever taught me and then I had a radical spiritual experience with the Lord.

In February, God wrote a prophetic message through me through the Holy Spirit. I documented the experience here: A Prophetic Warning: Strange Activities in the Sky (LONG) | Lipstick Alley

Once I became filled with the Holy Spirit, everything literally changed. God wants all of our attention because there is a lot going on in this world and roles that us Christians are meant to fulfill with the Kingdom of Heaven in mind.

Your friend and I sound similar and I can share that once you have a renewed, continual relationship with God where He's communicating with you daily, everything changes. Just as the Apostle Paul, the scales fell off my eyes-just as I'm sure they did for your friend.

I don't know all the details of your friendship, but I wanted to share my experiences as I once had similar views to you and now have a precious relationship with God that I want to develop stronger on the daily. :heart:

LaVieBoheme

Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
Hello!

I wanted to shed a different perspective to your friend's devotion to God!

So I used to think similarly to you about those who were very devout to God, but then I became a born again, Holy Spirit-filled Christian this year after enduring a really tough last year. I sought to know God in a much different approach than what church has ever taught me and then I had a radical spiritual experience with the Lord.

In February, God wrote a prophetic message through me through the Holy Spirit. I documented the experience here: A Prophetic Warning: Strange Activities in the Sky (LONG) | Lipstick Alley

Once I became filled with the Holy Spirit, everything literally changed. God wants all of our attention because there is a lot going on in this world and roles that us Christians are meant to fulfill with the Kingdom of Heaven in mind.

Your friend and I sound similar and I can share that once you have a renewed, continual relationship with God where He's communicating with you daily, everything changes. Just as the Apostle Paul, the scales fell off my eyes-just as I'm sure they did for your friend.

I don't know all the details of your friendship, but I wanted to share my experiences as I once had similar views to you and now have a precious relationship with God that I want to develop stronger on the daily. :heart:

Wow, that's amazing! Thank you for sharing. I'm sure your experience is close to her experience as well.

Cryeisha

The High Priestess
Reaction score
Reactions
166,803 21,294 10,690
Alleybux
It doesn’t bother me to be honest, as long as it’s remotely genuine. If it’s fake as heck, then that’s off putting.

I talk about God too but not like that though and I only keep it with my closest family. I don’t talk religion in general in public though.