Quantcast

'I'm quite ready to die': Prince Philip told friend he 'didn't want to hang on until 100'

Menina25

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
30,373 10,021 65
Alleybux
Prince Philip once told a friend he was "ready to die" and said he did not want to make it to his 100th birthday.

Gyles Brandreth, the Duke of Edinburgh's biographer, said Philip had "no desire" to "cling onto life unnecessarily".

Recalling one of his conversations with Philip at Buckingham Palace, Brandreth wrote in the Daily Mail: "'I'm quite ready to die,' the duke said to me. 'It's what happens — sooner or later.' Again, he smiled.

"'I certainly don't want to hang on until I am 100, like Queen Elizabeth [the Queen Mother]. I can't imagine anything worse.

"'I have absolutely no desire to cling on to life unnecessarily. Ghastly prospect.'"

And in his long life, he did not hold regrets, Brandreth said.

31st July 1947:  Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, husband of Princess Elizabeth resumes his attendance at the Royal Naval Officers' School at Kingsmoor in Hawthorn, Wiltshire.  (Photo by PNA Rota/Getty Images)

Known as Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten here at the Royal Naval Officers' School at Kingsmoor in Wiltshire in 1947. He once said he should have considered the Air Force. (PNA Rota/Getty Images)
Read more: Prince Harry shares tribute to Prince Philip: 'He was a master of the barbecue and legend of banter'

When once asked if life had been "fun" or "enjoyable" he "screwed up his eyes" and answered: "I enjoyed flying very much. I sometimes think I should have joined the Air Force instead of the Navy."

He said there was "there's no point in having regrets".

Former MP Brandreth noted the change in the duke in the last 10 years of his life, saying he "appeared to me to be more contented in late life than he had been in middle age, more at ease with himself, with his family, and with the world".

There'd been a particular turnaround in the relationship between duke and heir, with Prince Charles showing affection where he'd previously indicated he felt abandoned as a child.

Watch: Prince Charles: We will miss Prince Philip enormously

6071dcb860b4aa69ce24f774_o_U_v2.jpg

Prince Charles: We will miss Prince Philip enormously​

Prince Charles has paid tribute to his father Prince Philip, following his death aged 99. "I particularly wanted to say that my father, I suppose the last 70 years, has given the most remarkable devoted service to the queen, to my family and to the country and also to the whole of the Commonwealth", the Prince of Wales said. Speaking from Highgrove House, His Royal Highness thanked well-wishers from across the United Kingdom and Commonwealth.
Read more: Scottish Green co-leader highlights Prince Philip's love of 'bloodsports' and his 'extreme wealth' during tribute

When Charles spoke to Jonathan Dimbleby in the early 1990s, he suggested he'd felt neglected at home, but by 2012, the Prince of Wales was giving much more glowing reports of his mother and father – something Brandreth said the duke was touched by.

Though Prince Philip had himself spoken about difficulties between him and his son. Brandreth said Philip told him Charles was "precious, extravagant and lacking in the dedication necessary to make a good king".

However that was not how he felt by the time he died.

He also revealed why Prince Philip and the Queen did not sit on the thrones provided for them on the boat during the 2012 Diamond Jubilee pageant on the River Thames.

Brandreth said the duke had told him: "We'd have looked like Mr and Mrs Beckham, wouldn't we?"

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip aboard the Royal Barge Spirit of Chartwell heads the historic flotilla of 1000 boats along the Thames river past the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben to commemorate her 60th anniversary of the accession of Queen, London. 3 June 2012 --- Image by �� Paul Cunningham/Corbis (Photo by Paul Cunningham/Corbis via Getty Images)

The Queen and Prince Philip aboard the Royal Barge Spirit of Chartwell in 2012. They did not sut on the thrones. (Paul Cunningham/Corbis)
Read more: Who's who: The 30 royals who might be at Prince Philip's funeral

The Thames Diamond Jubilee pageant involved more than 600 boats, a world record event, but the day was somewhat marred by the continual rain.

The Queen and Philip were on board the royal barge throughout the afternoon, as they watched the procession with Charles, Camilla, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

Prince Philip's funeral is set to be held on Saturday afternoon, with a smaller, COVID regulated event taking place.

The 800 strong guest list has had to be whittled down to 30 people, to fit in with the current guidelines.

The Duke of Edinburgh's coffin will follow a short procession through Windsor Castle's grounds before the service inside St George's Chapel.

sophiasofi

For half a minute there wasn't a sound.
Reaction score
Reactions
333,305 12,152 6,802
Alleybux
I can imagine. When you live to be 100, it means that you've basically outlived virtually everyone who are your peers in your family and friends circle.

You're like almost the only one left.

CookieTho

Formerly Ms Hembrow.
Reaction score
Reactions
27,335 375 85
Alleybux
Makes perfect sense to me. My great-grandfather was in his 90s and had the same desire. He says at such an age, everything hurts.

AloneNLonely

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,259 3,875 3,391
Alleybux
I had a teacher in elementary school whose husband had a grandmother who didn’t want to live to be 103. She died the day before her birthday

Caremel44

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,417 319 24
Alleybux
Hmmm he didn’t regret anything, I’m not surprised with his racist ass.

alpirpeep

(gem)ini
Reaction score
Reactions
32,691 545 77
Alleybux
Well, he honestly looked like he was ready to go for quite some time! Besides, 99 is still a helluva of an age to actually get to live to (and still be mobile).