imagine Whitney as Dorothy in The Wiz

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,977 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
Age appropriate, an actual singer, beautiful, and had charisma? I'd love to see it. Especially with Michael still as Scarecrow.

THE STANDARD

GTFO!
Reaction score
Reactions
263,484 7,022 6,890
Alleybux
Age appropriate, an actual singer, beautiful, and had charisma? I'd love to see it. Especially with Michael still as Scarecrow.
tumblr_mxtolfPtNP1t6nn9lo4_250.gif

Goodness lol

ScorpioStinger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,094 61 9
Alleybux
After seeing the original Broadway Play version which was years before Berry Gordy got his hands on it as a movie. No one, I mean No One can do that role except Stephanie Mills. That play was so badass, if you've ever been in an audience in NYC, they make you stop the play and sing the damn song over again because it's that good. The movie never compared to the play at all as much as I am a Ms. Ross fan. That role is for one person and one person only and that is Stephanie Mills. Some things just aren't meant to be done over. The cast in that play was so stellar you can't remake it, with anyone. Hell it was the very begining of Phylicia Rashaad's career, she played one of the munchkins. Everyone that was in that play was a Broadway veteran with the exception of Stephanie.

Leo2Leo

STEEL HEELS
Reaction score
Reactions
3,365 157 466
Alleybux
After seeing the original Broadway Play version which was years before Berry Gordy got his hands on it as a movie. No one, I mean No One can do that role except Stephanie Mills. That play was so badass, if you've ever been in an audience in NYC, they make you stop the play and sing the damn song over again because it's that good. The movie never compared to the play at all as much as I am a Ms. Ross fan. That role is for one person and one person only and that is Stephanie Mills. Some things just aren't meant to be done over. The cast in that play was so stellar you can't remake it, with anyone. Hell it was the very begining of Phylicia Rashaad's career, she played one of the munchkins. Everyone that was in that play was a Broadway veteran with the exception of Stephanie.
Any idea if the play was ever video recorded?
Did Whitney ever talk about going to broadway plays? I don't
recall in any interviews. Maybe Kev knows?

mizzsparks

Best Thing You Never Had
Reaction score
Reactions
108,542 2,138 558
Alleybux
Stephanie was phenomenal in the play, but Nipp could've easily stepped in for the film. Can you imagine her and MJ playing off of each other during The Wiz? Iconic ish.

ScorpioStinger

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,094 61 9
Alleybux
Any idea if the play was ever video recorded?
Did Whitney ever talk about going to broadway plays? I don't
recall in any interviews. Maybe Kev knows?
It was recorded and you can see bits of it on Youtube, Stephanie Mills, Ted Ross (the lion) Hinton Battle (the scarecrow) he is now a huge choreographer, Tiger Haynes (the tin man) Dee Dee Bridgewater (Glinda) now a world renowned Jazz Vocalist, Mable King (Evillene) from That's my Momma, The cast was tremendous. No Whitney never talked about doing Broadway, but who knows maybe that changed later on through the years.