Quantcast

Instant Pot Recipes

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
Y'all, I just got an instant pot this holiday season and I'm stoked! Can't wait to try recipes. i've been researching but I've mostly found recipes from white bloggers and I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to seasoning. Based on prior experience, I've found that recipes that were supposedly 'flavorful' were very bland to me.

Can we share instant pot recipes in this thread? I want to get good recommendations and not worry about possibly cooking under-seasoned food lol.

Last edited:

perolike

das weir
Reaction score
Reactions
31,816 891 331
Alleybux
You can use any recipe that’s stewed on the stove or baked/roasted in the oven
I love using mine to make red beans and rice, collard greens, oxtails, curry chicken

Cada2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
167,041 15,892 2,327
Alleybux
GUMBO. Just combine all of these

1. 1 carton of seafood broth, 1 carton of chicken broth
  2. 1 cup of water
  3. 2-3 packs of sausage
  4. 2 packs of frozen okra
  5. 3-4 cans of diced tomatoes
  6. Premade roux
  7. Chopped onions and garlic
  8. Add garlic salt and pepper
  9. Let cook for 5-6 hours on high

Cada2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
167,041 15,892 2,327
Alleybux
ZUPPA TOSCANA SOUP

1. 1 can of condensed milk
  2. 2 chopped potatoes
  3. Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
  4. Water (enough to submerge the ingredients)
  5. Cooked sausage or ground beef
  6. Onions
  7. Kale (2-3 cups; or handfuls if you don’t have a measuring device)
  8. Add garlic salt and pepper
  9. Cook on high for 5-6 hours

Cada2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
167,041 15,892 2,327
Alleybux
Op make sure you put your heavy ingredients in before you add liquids. I know my list was kind of all over the place, but meats, vegetables, etc should be added before liquids. You really can’t go wrong with even making your own recipes. Just make sure you have adequate liquid added to cover the ingredients, and don’t put pasta in the pot. It will turn to mush and ruin the meal.

TalkNerdyToMe

Hi, I'm Charity! Donations accepted.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,772 2,590 407
Alleybux
Rice

2 cups rice
2 cups water or broth

Add all ingredients to pot. Pressure cook for 20 minutes.
Eat.

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
Y'all are so ignorant sometimes. Like adding seasoning is freakin rocket science
Seasoning isn't rocket science but I've read that there is a difference between seasoning on a stovetop versus seasoning in an instant pot due to the fact that nothing gets evaporated.

I usually don't enjoy cooking and I'm only recently getting into it (call it a consequence of staying home for most of this year). I'd rather get suggestions from people who know what they're doing to reduce the amount of mishaps and discouraging dishes I prepare. Thanks for adding your 2 cents though.

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
Op make sure you put your heavy ingredients in before you add liquids. I know my list was kind of all over the place, but meats, vegetables, etc should be added before liquids. You really can’t go wrong with even making your own recipes. Just make sure you have adequate liquid added to cover the ingredients, and don’t put pasta in the pot. It will turn to mush and ruin the meal.
Thank you for this tip. I would've definitely messed this up lol

perolike

das weir
Reaction score
Reactions
31,816 891 331
Alleybux
Seasoning isn't rocket science but I've read that there is a difference between seasoning on a stovetop versus seasoning in an instant pot due to the fact that nothing gets evaporated.

I usually don't enjoy cooking and I'm only recently getting into it (call it a consequence of staying home for most of this year). I'd rather get suggestions from people who know what they're doing to reduce the amount of mishaps and discouraging dishes I prepare. Thanks for adding your 2 cents though.

True @ nothing gets evaporated. If you have a sauté option on your instant pot you can use it to reduce your broth when your food is done cooking (with the lid off) so that the flavor comes through

or you can put the broth/juice in a pot on the stove and reduce it then add it back. That’s what I do to enhance flavor

plus it helps make your food less watery looking

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
Just made yogurt in my instant pot! So easy and encouraging. :) I followed this recipe:

I imagine there are a billion more like it.

Also tried making beans in the pot. I heard it's hard to mess up beans so I made a bean and corn porridge.

Bean porridge

Ingredients:
  1. 1.5 cups blackeyed peas
  2. 1 cup corn (optional, you can also use hominy)
  3. 1 large onion
  4. 1 large habanero (prefer red to give it more color)
  5. salt (as you like it. I used 1.5 tsp and it wasn't too salty)
  6. stock/bouillon cubes (optional and 1 should be enough)
  7. 4 cups total liquid
  8. 1/3 cup red palm oil (adds more color but you can also use avocado oil)
Procedure:
  1. Wash your beans and then soak them overnight (if using dry corn/hominy, soak it with the beans).
  2. Blend the onion and habanero together with 1/2 cup of the water used to soak the beans.
  3. Saute the palm oil in the pot and get it warm. The oil should change from a cloudy red to a clear red.
  4. Add the soaked beans, corn, blended puree and salt to the instant pot and add more of the water used to soak the beans. (Make sure you have total of 4 cups of liquid)
  5. Cook with bean mode and set time to 6 mins at high pressure, allow for natural pressure release. (You can cook longer if you want softer beans/a more liquid porridge but this was just right for me)
  6. Mix it all up and serve
I got this one from my mom. She used to make bean porridge in her old-school pressure cooker when I was little and I LOVED it so much. You can adjust the bean to corn ratio as you like. It is very filling and hearty.

I enjoyed making so I thought I'd share. Will be trying @Cada2 Gumbo next.

Last edited:

HELLO Rupert

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,075 139 89
Alleybux
The Instant Pot is a very interesting addition to my appliance collection. I'll be honest, I bought it because it has a sous vide function...I keep saying I'll try it out. So after six months of using it there are certain things I cook specifically in it but I have not done a lot of meals in it. I get thrown off by timing probably because I can't easily lift a lid and see what it is doing. I'd be curious to hear from you guys about the operation of your Instant Pot, what do you use it for most? I swear I use mine for whole sweet potatos (never going back to roasted) and pots of rice the absolute most, I have them both down to perfection. What is your go to function for doing what?

HELLO Rupert

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,075 139 89
Alleybux
Have you made cheesecake in yours yet? Creme Brulee? To freaking die for!!!

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
Have you made cheesecake in yours yet? Creme Brulee? To freaking die for!!!
Sorry just saw this. I haven't ventured into dessert land quite yet. I've been focusing on building confidence so to speak. Have you made cheesecake? If you have a recipe feel free to share :). I didn't know you could make creme brulee though.

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
Adding some more recipes that I've come to love over the past year+

Zobo
Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup dried hibiscus petals (zobo)
  2. 5 cups water
  3. 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  4. grated fresh ginger to taste
  5. rinds from a ripe pineapple (can also add other fruits e.g. orange and apple)
Procedure:
  1. Rinse the hibiscus petals thoroughly with cold water to remove dust
  2. Add water, sugar, and ginger to the instant pot and stir to dissolve sugar
  3. Add the hibiscus petals and pineapple rind to the pot
  4. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes and do a natural pressure release
  5. Drain the liquid and wait till it cools down before refrigerating it. That's your zobo

Jollof Rice
This recipe is from Instant Pot Jollof Rice (include Vegan Jollof rice), and while there are lots of recipes like this, I like this one for its simplicity. I recommend also going through the blog post before preparing the recipe to get finer details about ingredients and procedure. My tip is to add some sambal oelek to this recipe for more heat and flavor depth (not needed though)

Ingredients:

Pepper Mix
  1. 1 medium Fresh tomato
  2. 1 medium Bell pepper
  3. 1 small Onion
  4. 1 scotch bonnet optional
Jollof Rice
  1. 2 cups Easy cook long grain rice or golden sella basmati rice
  2. ⅓ cup Vegetable oil
  3. 1 cup pepper mix
  4. 1 small onion sliced
  5. 2 tbsp tomato puree
  6. 2 bouillion/stock cubes vegetable bouillon for vegan jollof rice
  7. 1 tbsp curry powder
  8. 1 tbsp dried thyme
  9. 1 teaspoon white pepper
  10. 1 small bay leaf
  11. 1 medium fresh tomato sliced
  12. 3 cups broth vegetable, chicken, turkey or beef broth
  13. Salt to taste

Procedure:
  1. Blend together the pepper mix ingredients and measure out a cup. You need 1 cup of the pepper mix for this recipe. Store the remaining for future use.
  2. Set the instant pot to sautee then add vegetable oil in the inner pot of the instant pot then add chopped onions and tomato puree. Fry the onion and tomato puree for 2 minutes. (make sure you keep stirring to avoid burning).
  3. Add in 1 cup of pepper mix, curry powder, dried thyme, stock cubes, salt, and white pepper. Fry for another 2 minutes.
  4. Put off sautee mode of the instant pot.
  5. Wash rice with warm water till water runs clear.
  6. Add broth, sliced tomato, bayleaf, salt and washed rice in the instant pot. Stir and cover instant pot with lid and set valve to sealing (ensure bottom of IP is deglazed to avoid burn error).
  7. Set instant pot to manual pressure cook 8 minutes and after pressure cooking, do a 10 minutes naturally pressure release.
  8. When instant pot is depressurised, open the lid. Sauce will be settled on the rice, stir the sauce in the rice and jollof rice is ready to be enjoyed.

Multigrain Rice
This is a Korean recipe but I love it because it is a quick and easy way to increase the nutritional content of your rice and also produces a purple color. The original recipe is not in the instant pot but I've modified it slightly and cooked it in my instant pot multiple times.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup short grain rice
  2. ½ cup brown sweet rice
  3. ½ cup barley
  4. 2 tablespoons black sweet rice
  5. ¼ cup frozen or fresh green peas (optional)

Directions:
  1. Combine short grain rice, brown sweet rice, barley, and black sweet rice in a bowl
  2. Add some cold water and stir it around. Tilt the pot and pour out the water, then scrub and rub the grains by hand to remove excess starch
  3. Fill the pot with water again, stir, scrub, and pour out the water again. Repeat couple of times until the water runs pretty clear.
  4. Do a final drain of the water, leaving the grains generously wet.
  5. Add 2 &1/8 cups of water and green peas (if using) to the instant pot
  6. Pressure cook for 17minutes with 5 minutes natural pressure release
  7. Fluff the rice with your rice scoop and serve hot.
  8. Keep any leftovers in a container in the fridge. The rice should be finished in three days and you can revive it by reheating it in the microwave or steaming in a steamer basket over a pot of simmering water.

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom