Quantcast

Interior Designers: Has Anyone Ever Hired One?

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,607 1,841 196
Alleybux
I've used an interior designer before, but it was basically an Ethan Allen sales rep. years ag. So, this will be my first time working with a real interior designer on this scale outside of a furniture store.

I have a design project and have decided to hire an interior designer because I am not a DIYer. Anyway, have the initial consultation in a few weeks. The consultation fee will also go towards the balance should I decide to move forward after the consultation. I've completed my research about the designer and have been wanting to work with this designer for years.

AND for all you nosey bishes and before anyone asks, No bishes...this is not a multimillion dollar or 6-figure design project...and yes, I will have money left over to eat, pay my bills and live...LOL!

Now, back to the regular scheduled program...

Nonetheless, a part of what I will need the designer to do is sourcing and decorating which might include decorating such as accessories like pillows, artwork and painting. During the consultation we'll look at my vision to better determine how I can get more bang for my buck and whether it'll be a flat rate or hourly rate.

This is my question; what should I absolutely keep in mind regarding this process especially receipts/invoices and keeping up. Do you typically ask for receipts for all items sourced by the designer?

orchid069

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,841 174 38
Alleybux
Good for you. An actual interior decorator...with a client base..and has been in business for years...proven. And not Sis. Jenkins from the church who is always trying to get you to buy that Home Interiors overpriced mess with the black cherubs and the silk flowers.

I always look at magazines and go online for some inspiration. Keeps us posted and post pics.

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,607 1,841 196
Alleybux
I just died...but I'm back :chairfall: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good for you. An actual interior decorator...with a client base..and has been in business for years...proven. And not Sis. Jenkins from the church who is always trying to get you to buy that Home Interiors overpriced mess with the black cherubs and the silk flowers.

I always look at magazines and go online for some inspiration. Keeps us posted and post pics.

Nana Peazant

Obeah Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
548,490 13,176 1,853
Alleybux
Before the consultation, get a simple $5 bulletin board. Buy some tacks. Add images from magazines that speak to your design. You can also create a Pinterest board if you're more the digital type.

Alpha8itch

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
161 17 4
Alleybux
Do you typically ask for receipts for all items sourced by the designer?
Yes.
The designer I used I opted for the flat rate plus I gave her a budget. I did not trust that hourly rate.
If she & her helpers went over the budget, that was on her & her team!! Prior to purchasing anything, I knew the prices before hand.

The end result was a beautifully decorated home that was done under budget!

I was so pleased w/the designer & her team, I invited them to a dinner party I had & they were hired by 4 of my neighbors.

GOOD LUCK W/YOUR DESIGNER.

Vilomah

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,252 1,356 255
Alleybux
This is my question; what should I absolutely keep in mind regarding this process especially receipts/invoices and keeping up. Do you typically ask for receipts for all items sourced by the designer?

Log onto Houzz and, ask a designer or do a search to see if your questions have already been posted Good luck

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,607 1,841 196
Alleybux
Before the consultation, get a simple $5 bulletin board. Buy some tacks. Add images from magazines that speak to your design. You can also create a Pinterest board if you're more the digital type.

Yes, this is what the designer asked me today. He's already on Pinterest, but he instructed me to create and account if I do not have one. Then, he's going to create a private board so I can share samples of inspiring home decor that I like and the design/style I want to achieve.

Then, he's going to create a presentation for me to share during the consultation. He said it will have samples of various concepts, fabric options and furniture pieces based upon my personal style. He will have it ready when we meet for the in-person scheduled consultation

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,607 1,841 196
Alleybux
Yes, this is what we are going to drill down during the consultation (flat or hourly). I'm reading up a lot on this subject.

Yes.
The designer I used I opted for the flat rate plus I gave her a budget. I did not trust that hourly rate.
If she & her helpers went over the budget, that was on her & her team!! Prior to purchasing anything, I knew the prices before hand.

The end result was a beautifully decorated home that was done under budget!

I was so pleased w/the designer & her team, I invited them to a dinner party I had & they were hired by 4 of my neighbors.

GOOD LUCK W/YOUR DESIGNER.

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,607 1,841 196
Alleybux
Log onto Houzz and, ask a designer or do a search to see if your questions have already been posted Good luck

I am already registered with Houzz. I luv this site in general. Anyway, it's definitely a great source of info. I'm just asking the Home Decor Alleycats as well...LOl!