Quantcast

Investing in Stock Market

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,689 494,835 222,827
Alleybux
I have over 300k in savings and add about $4-5k a month to it. I already max out my 401k and automatically contribute another $700 to my retirement account. My 401k is about $500k and I own a condo with about $275k in equity. The interest rates have dropped considerably from 2% to .15% and I am thinking of moving $25k into a managed investment account then contribute to it monthly. I’ve been hesitant. I know I can get a better return in the stock market but the market is so volatile. With the low interest rates, there is a part of me that wants to buy a larger apt and maybe an inexpensive investment property. Theoretically, I could invest, buy a new property and still have money left over. Should I just get over my fear and invest? I don’t know what’s holding me back, I think I’m afraid that I will have a lot of mortgage debt and lose my job.

SunkissedBri

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,211 772 1,013
Alleybux
The stock market ain't sh!t right now. I invested into dogecoin, almost a year ago & it's just now going up a pinch but it's still struggling. I sold the rest of my stocks bc I'm losing more than I'm gaining. The economy is bad, there's really no money to be made in the stock market & the dow is in the negatives right now. Unless you invest into crypto, you really ain't making no money & even crypto isn't doing as good as it should. It's just a bad time but if the stocks drop low enough, that would be the best time to buy stock bc you can buy more shares & if the economy goes back up, you'll make money

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
The stock market ain't sh!t right now. I invested into dogecoin, almost a year ago & it's just now going up a pinch but it's still struggling. I sold the rest of my stocks bc I'm losing more than I'm gaining. The economy is bad, there's really no money to be made in the stock market & the dow is in the negatives right now. Unless you invest into crypto, you really ain't making no money & even crypto isn't doing as good as it should. It's just a bad time but if the stocks drop low enough, that would be the best time to buy stock bc you can buy more shares & if the economy goes back up, you'll make money
I feel the same way. My portfolio is increasing largely due to my contributions. I’ve been gaining 1k a day due the election but it feels like it will dip again and the gains will be lost. I have a few banking stocks that have done consistently well, about 40% gain. I switched one account to managed because I wanted to see if a financial planner could do better. It’s increased 10% since May. I wouldn’t invest now, I would invest when the market dips again. The rate of return is much better than the .15% I’m getting on my savings.

Oracle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,852 1,213 670
Alleybux
What made you invest in dogecoin?
Btc has more than quadrupled in 8 months.

Oracle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,852 1,213 670
Alleybux
I have over 300k in savings and add about $4-5k a month to it. I already max out my 401k and automatically contribute another $700 to my retirement account. My 401k is about $500k and I own a condo with about $275k in equity. The interest rates have dropped considerably from 2% to .15% and I am thinking of moving $25k into a managed investment account then contribute to it monthly. I’ve been hesitant. I know I can get a better return in the stock market but the market is so volatile. With the low interest rates, there is a part of me that wants to buy a larger apt and maybe an inexpensive investment property. Theoretically, I could invest, buy a new property and still have money left over. Should I just get over my fear and invest? I don’t know what’s holding me back, I think I’m afraid that I will have a lot of mortgage debt and lose my job.

What are your thoughts on a residential property with rental units?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
What are your thoughts on a residential property with rental units?
I’ve always wanted a multi family but the property costs (600k+) and taxes (10k) in my state is not something I would consider. I could find cheaper properties in lower income areas but they are also much older.

I recently started looking at the Midwest , maybe OH. I’ve just been surfing the web and researching laws in different states. I don’t want a huge mortgage so I’m ok with a single family. Ideal situation is to pay less than $100k and make a little profit each month. Hopefully pay it off quickly then collect rents and buy another.

noseydude

The Coolidge Effect
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
37,306 1,171 729
Alleybux
Sis, it sounds like you just need more education…

Check out Earn your Leisure….

https://www.earnyourleisure.com

They have a podcast every Monday on YouTube on the market.

Watch that for about a month and you will be able to make better decisions/investments.

$300K in savings is great! But you do not need that much cash in savings, that money needs to be working for you - it should be generating more money.

Good job though!

SunkissedBri

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,211 772 1,013
Alleybux
What made you invest in dogecoin?
Btc has more than quadrupled in 8 months.

Exactly! Bitcoin was 13k a coin at the beginning of this year. It is currently 18k & I'm pissed! Dogecoin was 0.0040 when I bought 70k coins in it. It dropped to 0.0020 now it's 0.0035. I invested in it bc it was less than a penny & I kept reading about it online, from people who invested in it & they said that it was gonna be a dollar by the end of the year, which I now believe is bs. I invested so much into this fµck!ng coin & it's barely moving a damn muscle meanwhile bitcoin is killing the game. I read that the reason dogecoin won't move up is bc it's not accepted as form of payment like bitcoin, ether & litecoin is

Chillin4Life

Supreme Being
Reaction score
Reactions
29,772 418 131
Alleybux
OP I say look into doing covered calls and if you are serious invest in a stock market education. If you are interested I can refer you to someone who teaches individuals like you how to invest in the stock market. Just PM me.

Nicolita

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,713 1,054 614
Alleybux
Right now, put that into a CD or a high yield savings account. It’s slow growth but it’s guaranteed growth.
I have a high yield savings account, interest rates are almost 0. I consider CDs to be the worst investment. Low interest rates and you can’t access your money.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Sis, it sounds like you just need more education…

Check out Earn your Leisure….

Earn Your Leisure

They have a podcast every Monday on YouTube on the market.

Watch that for about a month and you will be able to make better decisions/investments.

$300K in savings is great! But you do not need that much cash in savings, that money needs to be working for you - it should be generating more money.

Good job though!
I will take a look. Thanks. I agree that I have too much cash. Was saving for a larger apartment because I knew the rates would drop but I’m not really seeing anything that I like. I think it makes sense to invest while I wait to buy.

Dani_Blanco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
288,083 8,312 1,771
Alleybux
I feel the same way. My portfolio is increasing largely due to my contributions. I’ve been gaining 1k a day due the election but it feels like it will dip again and the gains will be lost. I have a few banking stocks that have done consistently well, about 40% gain. I switched one account to managed because I wanted to see if a financial planner could do better. It’s increased 10% since May. I wouldn’t invest now, I would invest when the market dips again. The rate of return is much better than the .15% I’m getting on my savings.
Have you spoke to a professional financial advisor?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Have you spoke to a professional financial advisor?
Yes, almost all of my retirement account is now managed. I work in banking and there are tons of restrictions on trading so I haven’t put much into an investment account. The low interest rates have made me feel like it’s time to invest.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,162 7,431 1,115
Alleybux
Honestly, I have been watching alot of Youtube videos regarding RE the last few days on various channels. Something is brewing. I would probably hold off until next yr.

Some dude was mentioning that Boomers will be looking to dump there homes next yr to collect equity due to next tax rules that may come into affect that would take away from their profits which might create a dump in the market in which most millienals will be unable to buy because the prices are too high and they are in student loan debt.

Another thing is the that just happen last week " the Cares act has been cut effective immediately ( This allowed folks to do forbearance on RE)"

Trump administration overrules Jerome Powell and cuts off Fed emergency lending programs

. The money was set aside in March as part of the CARES Act, a $2 trillion stimulus package meant to prop up the ailing economy by providing financial assistance and loans for distressed companies, among other measures.

Trump administration cuts off emergency Federal Reserve programs as coronavirus cases spike - CNN

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,162 7,431 1,115
Alleybux
As far as stocks, Yes it is very volatile right now but money can be made on a short-term basis 1-3 months time frame . Hell Im making money this year without any issues. I think it will remain like this through half of next year until it levels out.

I would not buy any of these stocks that have been excessively ran up referred to as Covid stocks . Stay away. If there is a pull only invest in solid companies you know like BABA, AMZN, Netflix , Microsoft , ( companies focus around cloud technology or Tech security ) and other solid tech companies that have around for a few years.

Another area you can stick to is ETF index funds focus around Tech , healthcare . If you want to look at long term then look at Real Estate Reits but that will be 3-5 yrs before that sector even recover

Dont invest in anything you feel unsure about it is better to stay in cash. I would only put a small amount in there if you are new to buying stocks and when you are profitable to not hesitant to take it right back out either .

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
As far as stocks, Yes it is very volatile right now but money can be made on a short-term basis 1-3 months time frame . Hell Im making money this year without any issues. I think it will remain like this through half of next year until it levels out.

I would not buy any of these stocks that have been excessively ran up referred to as Covid stocks . Stay away. If there is a pull only invest in solid companies you know like BABA, AMZN, Netflix , Microsoft , ( companies focus around cloud technology or Tech security ) and other solid tech companies that have around for a few years.

Another area you can stick to is ETF index funds focus around Tech , healthcare . If you want to look at long term then look at Real Estate Reits but that will be 3-5 yrs before that sector even recover

Dont invest in anything you feel unsure about it is better to stay in cash. I would only put a small amount in there if you are new to buying stocks and when you are profitable to not hesitant to take it right back out either .

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. I could start with a small amount (I know it’s really not small but small compared to my savings) and then add throughout 2020 and see where I land at year end. If I don’t see a solid return, I would cash out.

I think mortgage interest rates will be low for a while and developers will try to unload their inventory.

DemiLovato

Sorry, not sorry.
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
159,223 5,474 3,412
Alleybux
I want to invest in HL stock. Is this a good one?! Or GBTC.

Last edited:

Ilurkedforyears

I have lurked on this site for years.
Reaction score
Reactions
20,282 748 250
Alleybux
The real estate market in certain cities are red hot. I think it depends on where you are.

Ilurkedforyears

I have lurked on this site for years.
Reaction score
Reactions
20,282 748 250
Alleybux
Someone on Reddit made a good point about this stock. They said the company has intellectual property. So, it’s not garbage. Here’s a list from their website:

Does anyone have any idea, as to why it’s been so low for the last few weeks?