Quantcast

Is anyone else tired of wig and weave culture?

missmisha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
170,267 7,763 5,725
Alleybux
Disclaimer: no one is telling you you can't wear your wigs and weaves anymore. If you love it and it works for you that's fine. Please don't allow my feelings to stop you because my intention is not to tell black women what they should and shouldn't be doing with their hair. I'm here to talk about my personal feelings and have a conversation with other women who are feeling the same way. This disclaimer is not sarcasm. I genuinely just want to have an open dialogue about this.

So like the title says, I'm tired of wig and weave culture. Don't get me wrong, I have 4c hair and for those of you that also have have 4c hair I'm sure you know how difficult and tiring it can to be to manage sometimes. However, I'm at that point where I just don't have the desire to shell out money for wigs and weaves anymore, especially the ones that don't look like my hair. A couple of years ago you would never catch me without some straight weave in my hair. Now I'm over it. I realize looking back that even though I claimed to love my hair and just liked the versatility of a weave, I really hated my hair and it was an excuse. I feel like for a lot of women, these wigs are the new form of a relaxer which completely defeats the purpose of being natural. The same excuses are used. "It's for manageability" or "I like to switch it up." But if 95 percent of the time your hair is hidden under a wig, how can you deny that you don't have at least a little bit of disdain for your hair?

I don't think us black women disliking our hair is our fault. We all know about featurism and how the media influences how women feel about their appearance, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. I also don't think black women have to be flawless magical beings that love every single thing about themselves. Most women have something about themselves that they dislike and I think black women tend to be held to unrealistic standards when it come to self confidence because women of other races look to us as confidence gurus [emoji849]. I would however like to eventually see the majority of black women i come across on a day to day basis wearing their natural hair out(straightened, wash and go, twist out, whatever), in a traditionally black hairstyle like braids, or with a weave or a wig that matches their hair texture.

Something that I've been noticing lately is how the lowest aged demographic of black females(I'm saying females because neither girls nor women can be used to group everyone together) that are wearing wigs is getting younger and younger. I was at a funeral two weeks ago and there was a black girl there that was a freshman in high school wearing a bone straight wig. I remember being in high school(I'm 25 now) and rarely seeing anyone my age wearing wigs. Now it is common. I can't be the only one that thinks it's strange. Also, when I see these wigs on women in real life they rarely look good. In most cases I think they are distracting and take away from the woman's beauty.

I used to feel self conscious about my natural hair and now when I wear wigs I fee way more self conscious with the wig on. It's something I have to constantly make sure looks perfect and it feels like a hat. The social media glow up phenomenon also tends to only show black women looking glamorous with wigs on, it's like that's supposed to be our only option if we're really trying to look our best and most beautiful.

How do you all feel about it?

LuvMissDee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,956 5,061 2,012
Alleybux
Nope not tired of it and will probably never be. There’s a level of convenience that’s comes with wigs and weaves that you just don’t have wearing your natural hair everyday. Co washing, detangling, washing, twisting is so arduous if I had to do that every single day for the rest of my life I’d kill myself. I’m 4b and I don’t feel self conscious about my natural hair it’s lovely but hard to manage. If I’m going to an event/gala I like my hair straight or big and curly weave or wigs because I can control it vs my natural hair that will poof up from the slightest bit of humidity.

All these styles look amazing the weave doesn’t look better than the silk press and the natural hair doesn’t look better then the other two options.

Weave
upload_2018-10-24_11-24-13.jpeg

Silk press
upload_2018-10-24_11-25-42.jpeg

Natural

upload_2018-10-24_11-26-36.jpeg

Last edited:

Sweetiepiie

I'm walking on sunshine
Reaction score
Reactions
155,925 4,475 2,414
Alleybux
I see what you mean.

I used to wear weave sa lot during my early teen years, but nothing compells me to wear it anymore, I have no idea why though.

I just dont fancy wearing them, I look around at girls with wigs and weaves around my uni campus, and I say this in the nicest way but it just looks ridiculous. Like 26 inch bone straight weaves/wigs looks somewhat ridiculous to me. On top of that with a full face of makeup screams loudness.

For me, choosing not to wear wigs or weaves has nothing about me loving my hair so much to the point I want to show it off...It is more to do with the fact that I prefer the whole toned down, simple neat look. Also, I feel like in a room full of wigs and weaves, I do stand out a little bit anyway. Also the aspect I cant stand about wearing wigs is the gluing down like everyday. I honestly doubt that is healthy for your hair and edges in the long run.

It may feel like I am judging girls that wear it...But I am not. Anyone should wear whatever makes them happy but I am literally stating my opinion in the nicest way lol *shrugs*. If I do choose to wear weave one day then I will wear a short/mid lenght one, and even then that would be once in a blue moon.

YouNameIt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
50,404 1,617 683
Alleybux
It has its pros and cons. I have some alopecia that makes it impossible to wear my actual hair. Wig technology means I can still look natural and halfway decent given the circumstances.

ETA: thanks for the hugs y’all. Only two people in the entire world know that I don’t really have any hair under my weaves or wigs. It’s embarrassing, even my husband doesn’t know.

Last edited:

The Unconfessed Goddess

"Cancelling Fools in Georgia in 2023 and 2024”
Reaction score
Reactions
106,546 6,416 2,790
Alleybux
I really don't find a problem with wigs and weaves. But OP,I fully understand your point. I used to put weave tracks in my hair. Then, I decided to take better care of my hair. Now, my real hair is very long and healthy. So,there is no need for the extensions. By the way, every time I put those extensions in and take them out, I had excessive breakage.
During the week, I do protective styles. It's easy and it protects the ends of my hair.

ShadyHeaux

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
43,678 1,736 925
Alleybux
I like changing up my hair a lot so I like weave. I own 3 wigs and want more. I only wear them when I don't have braids/twists in or if I want straight hair without straightening my natural hair.

Most of the time I don't show my natural hair. I don't get good feedback on wearing my hair out (dense, full 4c hair that shrinks 90% when wet) and I don't have time to blow it out and do twist outs every week.

People may say I hate my hair, I have self hate or whatever but I don't care anymore. Black people are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to so called "self love" and allowing black women to be themselves. I'm just going to continue to wear what I think makes me look pretty and what helps me navigate comfortably in this anti-black woman culture.

AfroSoul

MJ IS THE GREATEST PERFORMER OF ALL TIME .THE GOAT
Reaction score
Reactions
52,398 2,857 8,181
Alleybux
This alienated culture is not going to stop in this generation , it's too late . Now for our futur children , we just need to teach them how to love and take care of their natural hair , never relax their hair ,always teach them african hairstyles . The love has to be ingraned from childhood , not at 25 years old when probably your hair is already damaged by years of wigs , weaves , relaxers and taught self hatred . The cultural revolution can be done in at a long term period but this generation must pass for that .

Hot Comb

life imitates art
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
42,452 1,238 1,313
Alleybux
I've never worn a weave because I don't like the way they look, but wigs are convenient in between styling.

I thing those long ass weaves and colored wigs are ugly on most people, but everybody should do what they want to do.

I really enjoy crochet braids the most.

missmisha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
170,267 7,763 5,725
Alleybux
I like changing up my hair a lot so I like weave. I own 3 wigs and want more. I only wear them when I don't have braids/twists in or if I want straight hair without straightening my natural hair.

Most of the time I don't show my natural hair. I don't get good feedback on wearing my hair out (dense, full 4c hair that shrinks 90% when wet) and I don't have time to blow it out and do twist outs every week.

People may say I hate my hair, I have self hate or whatever but I don't care anymore. Black people are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to so called "self love" and allowing black women to be themselves. I'm just going to continue to wear what I think makes me look pretty and what helps me navigate comfortably in this anti-black woman culture.

I completely understand wanting to feel pretty and attractive. I get it and I think a lot of times black women are shamed for wanting to feel attractive. The hoteps will say we shouldn't be trying to look attractive for anyone but them anyway, meanwhile they encourage black men to try to attract women of all races and keep their options open. I think there's a feeling of femininity the wigs give black women that they may not feel with their own hair because of their hairs length and texture.

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
580,927 19,669 2,219
Alleybux
I have 4C hair as well and for the past five years, I've done away with perms just to plop a wig on it...last year I started crochet and that has helped a lot.

Apart from my wig period, I've always had someone else help me tame my hair, doing it on my own has been discouraging...

Hot Comb

life imitates art
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
42,452 1,238 1,313
Alleybux
Nope not tired of it and will probably never be. There’s a level of convience that’s comes with wigs and wigs that you just don’t have wearing your natural hair everyday. Co washing, detangling, washing, twisting it’s so arduous if I had to do that every single day for the rest of my life I’d kill myself. I’m 4b and I don’t feel self conscious about my natural hair but if I’m going to an event/gala I like my hair big and straight or big and curly because I can control it va my natural hair that will poof up from humidity.

All these styles look amazing

Weave
View attachment 533996

Silk press
View attachment 533997

Natural

View attachment 533998

I agree with what you said, but a lot of girl with weaves have the top of the picture cut off. Why can't we see the top of raye raye's head? Half the time it never blends or looks right.

Sweetiepiie

I'm walking on sunshine
Reaction score
Reactions
155,925 4,475 2,414
Alleybux
Yes it looks stupid 9 times out of 10. I at least hope the tide changes and people will shift to more natural looking wigs.

Yeah, thats the point I was trying to make lol. The women that wear wigs never make it look realistic. It is relaly long completely bone straight. I personally dont like how it looks.

timbt

still sippin'
Reaction score
Reactions
36,266 825 223
Alleybux
Just tired of having my fingers in my head overall. Been doing braids or faux locs.

I bought some weave two weeks ago but didn't like how I did it, went back to buy a wig, ended up hating the wig. I got my 6-7 packs of marley hair and put my locs back in again lol

orita

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,419 328 145
Alleybux
LOL I came in here ready to fight but found myself nodding along. I esp agree with the wearing wigs younger and younger. When I was that age only old church ladies and music industry people wore wigs on the regular.

mthrbrd

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
153,625 2,510 536
Alleybux
I was wearing wigs a lot 2-3 years ago and I’m over it. Wigs are convenient and fun and I prefer them to weaves but I’m just fatigued and I guess my taste is shifting.

Now I only want to do styles that mimic my own natural texture. Faux locs too.

HarlemDays

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,575 1,591 2,630
Alleybux
Nope not tired of it and will probably never be. There’s a level of convience that’s comes with wigs and wigs that you just don’t have wearing your natural hair everyday. Co washing, detangling, washing, twisting it’s so arduous if I had to do that every single day for the rest of my life I’d kill myself. I’m 4b and I don’t feel self conscious about my natural hair but if I’m going to an event/gala I like my hair big and straight or big and curly because I can control it va my natural hair that will poof up from humidity.

All these styles look amazing

Weave
View attachment 533996

Silk press
View attachment 533997

Natural

View attachment 533998
The natural hair photo looks soooo much better imo. And I get the real hair struggle, my gf goes through it. But as a man, I'm totally over women who routinely wear wigs and weaves. It's my personal preference, but I wouldn't date a black woman who was uncomfortable with natural hair. I can understand guys who do, but it's not for me. I have seen some of the more natural looking....idk weaves I guess and I do like those. Basically your hair should look like it came from your head.

milk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
31,824 892 334
Alleybux
I've been natural all my life but I agree. It's quite tough to manage my hair sometimes and some I find myself wishing I had looser hair like my cousins and extended family.

GangstaBoo

From the Streetz to the Altar! I DID IT!
Benched
Reaction score
Reactions
103,352 7,611 15,354
Alleybux
I just dont like seeing how young the girls are with wigs on. working their cashier job with 18 inches down their back. its weird

BargainBinCardi

…Vicks on my chest…
Reaction score
Reactions
126,470 4,834 1,189
Alleybux
...I'm absolutely discouraged by how many of us feel that our hair won't grow but don't stop to think that constant weaves/wigs/relaxers are harmful...our scalps can't breathe...we pass up on activities because we don't want to mess up our hair...and we don't put the time in the nurture ourselves. It's a b!tch to wash, condition, detangle etc. But you know, if you really tried, our hair grows hella long, beautifully thick, and is versatile as hell!

-miss me with the black hair isn't a cause of envy. I stay swatting a b!tches hand because they stay trying to touch it, out of envy!

Bo thick

A kind soul
Reaction score
Reactions
10,909 413 157
Alleybux
I have 4b/4c hair and let me tell you between that and wigs, weaves, box braids, etc it’s all exhausting. I was just saying to myself earlier today that I’m sick of it all. But will I get another wig or weave? Probably so, I mean it is what it is

TheodosiaCat

PrettiestPisces
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
162,582 4,205 2,893
Alleybux
I personally enjoy the really natural looking wigs, I also enjoy the girls that wear them because they want to switch up their look without making drastic changes to their natural hair but can still and will still rock their natural hair when they feel like it.

W3rdThtzKrzy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
388,283 16,167 13,754
Alleybux
Unpopular opinion time - weaves and wigs smell nasty. People keep them in wayyyyy too long and don’t wash them enough and they pick up dust, grime, and sweat.

I personally think I might be allergic to whatever they treat the hair with, because I’ve gotten massively sick from wearing anything but synthetic braiding hair myself. So I pretty much only wear clip ins I can take out and wash every other night. My real hair thrives when I wash it at least weekly.

Honestly it’s so bad that I avoid sitting next to people with weaves that don’t look freshly done because I know I’ll be sneezing all night and it will likely smell a little funky.

Tracks are fine, clip ins are fine, and wigs can even be fine if you regularly wash them and your hair underneath. But I can smell those of y’all going more than a week without washing.

Last edited:

HarlemDays

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,575 1,591 2,630
Alleybux
I completely understand wanting to feel pretty and attractive. I get it and I think a lot of times black women are shamed for wanting to feel attractive. The hoteps will say we shouldn't be trying to look attractive for anyone but them anyway, meanwhile they encourage black men to try to attract women of all races and keep their options open. I think there's a feeling of femininity the wigs give black women that they may not feel with their own hair because of their hairs length and texture.
Sorry if I misunderstand but are you saying black women can't be attractive wearing their natural hair?

WorkInProgress

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
440,947 8,505 2,734
Alleybux
LOL I came in here ready to fight but found myself nodding along. I esp agree with the wearing wigs younger and younger. When I was that age only old church ladies and music industry people wore wigs on the regular.

Right! Like when I was younger, you wouldn't want to be caught dead in a wig. Now you got middle-schoolers standing at the bus stop with wigs plopped on their heads. It's crazy.

BargainBinCardi

…Vicks on my chest…
Reaction score
Reactions
126,470 4,834 1,189
Alleybux
Unpopular opinion time - weaves and wigs smell nasty. People keep them in wayyyyy too long and don’t wash them enough and they pick up dust, grime, and sweat.

I personally think I might be allergic to whatever they treat the hair with, because I’ve gotten massively sick from wearing anything but synthetic braiding hair myself. So I pretty much only wear clip ins I can take out and wash every other night. My real hair thrives when I wash it at least weekly.

Honestly it’s so bad that I avoid sitting next to people with weaves that don’t look freshly done because I know I’ll be sneezing all night and it will likely smell a little funky.

Tracks are fine, clip ins are fine, and wigs can even be fine if you regularly wash them and your hair underneath. But I can smell those of y’all going more than a week without washing. And don’t make them so heavy you get traction allopecia.

...thank you. It's tough to say (and for many tough to hear) but the stench coming off alot of women's hair is rough. There is no body part that can be concealed and sweaty and not get funky. I can count on one hand how many times I've smelled musky cooch, but musky weave? Weekly. Sometimes daily if she creeps up on me...

NZURI

Delete Account
Reaction score
Reactions
257,693 8,171 8,001
Alleybux
I feel perfectly fine wearing my natural hair, but it's faster and easier to put on a wig. We are all not talented in styling hair.

Every time I try, I'm never sure how it's going to turn out or hold up, so when I want to have and maintain a specific look, I'll wear a wig. If it doesn't matter, which is most of the time, I'll wear my hair out.

I get my wigs for cheap off Amazon, so it is not expensive. Actually costs a lot less than purchasing styling products if I were to instead wear wash and gos or even twistouts everyday.

ETA and going to a natural hair stylist weekly or even every other week would definitely cost a lot more.

Friendly Pressure

Starter
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,734 403 260
Alleybux
Yes it looks stupid 9 times out of 10. I at least hope the tide changes and people will shift to more natural looking wigs.
Agreed. I don’t understand black women who feel the need to wear straight/silky textured weaves/wigs 24/7. Like if you must wear wigs/weaves why can’t they ever match your actual hair texture. I’m just so perplexed as to how we got here as a culture. How did we go from make up/extensions etc. being used to enhance your natural features and make them “pop”. To these things being used to make you look obviously fake and like a completely different person? I can’t wait for the 10’s decade beauty trends to die.

Lookin Azz

I can see your lace
Reaction score
Reactions
90,042 2,247 138
Alleybux
my u-part italian yaki wig coming on friday yall
giphy.gif

But in all seriousness, I see where you're coming from. Especially with young girls wearing wigs. I really think girls should learn to care for their own hair before using extensions or wigs regularly.

A seventh grade student of mine got a braid wig snatched off her head. I was pretty upset hearing that 1. a girl was mean enough to do that and 2. that she was ever wearing a wig. The girl is only 13. Mom could have got this girl a crochet style or something else.

I'm not a fan of unnatural looking wigs because I agree, they take away from natural beauty and are really quite distracting. It's like I see the person and the wig separately, if that makes any sense. Not a cohesive look.

Every wig I own could be mistaken for my own hair. Same color, close in texture, believable length. But to each his own.

missmisha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
170,267 7,763 5,725
Alleybux
Sorry if I misunderstand but are you saying black women can't be attractive wearing their natural hair?

No.

I am saying for a lot of women, the long wigs that they buy(most women aren't buying short wigs) make them feel more feminine and attractive because long flowy swingy hair is associated with femininity. Since natural hair tends to shrink up and look shorter than it is a lot of black women don't feel as feminine with natural hair which is something i understand because when I first went natural I remember feeling like a boy because my hair was so short.

Black women can absolutely be beautiful with natural hair, but I'm saying I get why a lot of them don't feel that way.

MarysJoint

Keepin It Classy
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
75,160 1,512 2,942
Alleybux
interesting thread considering op posted this not too long ago angry at black women who don't worship meghan markle. :disdain

You know i keep seeing this type of post on lots of social platforms and i held my tongue but im gonna say my piece this one time because at this point you b!tches deserve the heat.

i think it is absolutely hilarious how so many of you feel the need to proclaim that you dont care about the wedding. the people who REALLY dont care arent making posts about it for responses. you goofy ass women act like any of you are out here getting marriage proposals when most of you cant even find a dude to take you out for a nice dinner, cant even find a dude with a car. most black men dont even want to get married at all and when they do their preference isnt to marry most of you with somebody elses hair in your head 50 pounds overweight. if there is ANYTHING black women need to care about right now since soooo many of you swear you want to fix the community and build economic power, its the state of marriage among black women. maybe you should ask meghan to give you some tips on how to carry yourself so you can attract a decent man that will want to propose to you. That you way you dont have to sit on social media shitting on someone else big day to make yourself feel better, that way you dont have to go all out and have extravagant obnoxious gender reveal parties because you know youll never have a wedding to go all out for and all youre ever be is a baby momma.

oop!

Good luck finding a black kang to put a ring on it. I know youll do great since there are so many that are great catches!

Last edited:

LemonShark

Reality Von Tease
Reaction score
Reactions
193,342 14,925 3,744
Alleybux

Don't be afraid to fight back! You can fight by not internalizing the shaming. They WANT you to be to shamed to be carefree and self accepting. They want you terrorized. And Black people can be the biggest shamers. Be willing to stand up to them and tell them you don't give DAMN about their opinion.

I had to get a Jamaican guy together who tried to publicly humiliate me over my natural. I read the fµck outta him. I experienced white guys screaming and laughing as they drove by me in my natural state. They can eat bag of dacks.

BE BOLD, young woman. You are a goddess!

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom