Is Cardio good or bad?

Sarah330

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,739 3,186 2,169
Alleybux
Hi,

I was here last month lmao but I started back up at the gym doing cardio and weighted lunges & squats...

I've been doing research because I want to tone my legs but I would also like to lose weight in the legs & about 10 pounds. That's it though because I'm small but gained 10-15 because of 'rona.

Every time I look something up I keep getting answers that are opposite of each other. Some people say that strength training is the way to go and you'll lose weight & cardio is a total waste of time.

Other people say that you need HIIT and cardio like the treadmill to lose weight and you will be fine. They say that if you're trying to lose weight in the legs (though you cannot choose where to lose weight obviously) then squats and lunges, especially weighted are bad because you will gain muscle and sppear bigger.

What is the truth? I'm just trying to get summer ready lol. Not trying to be running on the treadmill wasting my time or doing squats with 25 pound dumbbells & getting bigger.

Bunbuns

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,426 217 53
Alleybux
if you're really overweight I suggest both. Cardio will help shed pounds but to prevent having saggy skin like some overweight people have when they lose weight in a short space of time, you should do some weights and core workouts to help tone your body. And of course, make sure you are eating a well balanced diet.

Overall, cardio is important to lose weight an build stamina

SSWillows

xoxo
Reaction score
Reactions
124,219 1,720 431
Alleybux
Both.

Do weights with minimal breaks in between sets. It'll get your heart pumpin (cardio) and it will get your muscles toned (strength). Your legs will only get super big if you start lifting heavy as hell.

Do medium weight, medium reps, and minimal breaks. Don't forget to hit your chest as well. You might lose weight in your boobs and they will be drooping if you don't work those chest muscles. It happened to me and I gained the weight back and retrained the right way.

Also don't forget arms, back and core. You need a decent back & core to properly execute targeted leg weightlifting.

But honestly, if your genetic code says that you are big legged, you just gone be big legged. You can only alter your physique so much. I say this from experience.

Sarah330

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,739 3,186 2,169
Alleybux
if you're really overweight I suggest both. Cardio will help shed pounds but to prevent having saggy skin like some overweight people have when they lose weight in a short space of time, you should do some weights and core workouts to help tone your body. And of course, make sure you are eating a well balanced diet.

Overall, cardio is important to lose weight an build stamina
Nope I'm not overweight. I'm 125 pounds I want to be 110 again.

Okay, that was what I was thinking and everytime I looked something up people were saying that you're wasting time expecting to see results if you stay on the treadmill and do cardio lol.

With the weights I cannot lift yet as it just seems to be too heavy but I use two 25 pound dumbbells when doing leg workouts.

SSWillows

xoxo
Reaction score
Reactions
124,219 1,720 431
Alleybux

Okay, that was what I was thinking and everytime I looked something up people were saying that you're wasting time expecting to see results if you stay on the treadmill and do cardio lol.

With the weights I cannot lift yet as it just seems to be too heavy but I use two 25 pound dumbbells when doing leg workouts.
125? How tall are you? At 125 your legs can't be that huge. Got me over here thinking you're obese.

SpurgeonRose

I get stronger every time Judas dowvotes me
Reaction score
Reactions
90,893 5,304 2,261
Alleybux
Depends on your weight, body type, and goal.

I'm 5'4, 167 lbs so my bmi is high. I'm overweight in clinical terms but I look small and curvy. My ass is huge, firm legs but I'm tiny and strong. My bf describes me as "solid"

I wanna lose 20 lbs. So I do three days heavy weights. I focus on having good form quality reps and I integrate cardio in between. I've gotten my body before. THE body and cardio makes the difference. It expidites the weight loss process and my weight training tones

Sarah330

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,739 3,186 2,169
Alleybux
Both.

Do weights with minimal breaks in between sets. It'll get your heart pumpin (cardio) and it will get your muscles toned (strength). Your legs will only get super big if you start lifting heavy as hell.

Do medium weight, medium reps, and minimal breaks. Don't forget to hit your chest as well. You might lose weight in your boobs and they will be drooping if you don't work those chest muscles. It happened to me and I gained the weight back and retrained the right way.

Also don't forget arms, back and core. You need a decent back & core to properly execute targeted leg weightlifting.

But honestly, if your genetic code says that you are big legged, you just gone be big legged. You can only alter your physique so much. I say this from experience.
Are you referring to lifting or kettleballs/heavy dumbbells? I have a gym in my building and for the life of me cannot lift. Im in my 20s but don't want to throw my back out and end up hurt trying to lift lmao. I figured I would gradually work my way up to it.
My genetic makeup is petite so I don't have any issue there, I just have been working from home and don't move around like I did before. So now I'm like let me get moving. Thank you for your recommendation by the way :)

Sarah330

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,739 3,186 2,169
Alleybux
125? How tall are you? At 125 your legs can't be that huge. Got me over here thinking you're obese.
Oh I'm sorry lmao I'm 5'4. They're not big at all, honestly I haven't expanded with the 10 pounds. I just gained weight in the midsection and my legs just got a little bigger. Since I'm working from home and not commuting like I used to, I just lost some definition and want to lose the new weight. Everything still fits though but I see the difference.

I'm dramatic, my bad lmao.

doeeyedgirl

HRH, Princess of LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
115,347 4,294 646
Alleybux
Cardio is about more than stamina and losing weight - it's conditioning for your heart. Cardio is a necessary part of maintaining overall health. You just have to be careful about not leaving any time for strength training.

finessse

FINESSE QUEEN
Reaction score
Reactions
313,861 12,113 9,617
Alleybux
neither is bad it just depends on your goals. personally i prefer weights and you do burn fat from lifting weights. the number on the scale may not show it, but lifting weights does burn fat. building muscle also builds metabolism so you’ll keep the weight off

Bunbuns

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,426 217 53
Alleybux

Oh wow! We're in the same boat haha! Yeah I'm 125lbs and your height as well and want to get back down a little more. I go on jogs a lot so if you do that at least 3 times a week you'll probably start to lose some weight (at least in my experience). Good luck and make sure you eat well <3

SSWillows

xoxo
Reaction score
Reactions
124,219 1,720 431
Alleybux
Are you referring to lifting or kettleballs/heavy dumbbells? I have a gym in my building and for the life of me cannot lift. Im in my 20s but don't want to throw my back out and end up hurt trying to lift lmao. I figured I would gradually work my way up to it.
My genetic makeup is petite so I don't have any issue there, I just have been working from home and don't move around like I did before. So now I'm like let me get moving. Thank you for your recommendation by the way :)
Kettlebells and dumbbells are fine as well. You don't have to hit up a squat rack. I was scared of those at first too lol. You're not alone at all with that one.

In that case, do cardio one day, kettlebells/machines the next. Rest every two days. Machines stabilize for you so you won't injure your back.

If you want a toned body overall, split your strength training days into upper/lower body days. It gives lots of rest time between targeted days & it and will lead to an overall fit physique.

Oh I'm sorry lmao I'm 5'4. They're not big at all, honestly I haven't expanded with the 10 pounds. I just gained weight in the midsection and my legs just got a little bigger. Since I'm working from home and not commuting like I used to, I just lost some definition and want to lose the new weight. Everything still fits though but I see the difference.

I'm dramatic, my bad lmao.
Lmao, okay that makes sense. A mix of cardio and strength training with adequate rest days will have you back to normal in no time and you will be looking nice and toned.

Make sure to eat lots of veggies/whole grains. Don't neglect eating before working out even though you are trying to lose weight. Even if it's just a banana, you'll want a little something in your system.

I'd recommend going on Youtube and they'll have a lot of great videos and additional resources.

Hmm lemme see if I'm missing anything else...

Can't stress the below enough.

Stretch, Drink plenty of water, Sleep

Good luck! You got this

quietlurker

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,928 548 179
Alleybux
I'd say to do a bit of cardio. It's good for your heart and good for losing a bit of weight. Also it can get you prepared for the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

GigiLaMoore

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
149,259 1,874 1,040
Alleybux
It's good but too many women leave out strength training. You have to pick up some weights or use your body for resistance, especially as you get older.

Reaction score
Reactions
23,225 1,003 681
Alleybux
In short answer: It works. I did it to lose all of my quarantine weight. Fat melted off like butter. Now I do a lot of weight lifting, for muscle and you know... more definition in my arms and legs.

petalwitch

Qui vivra verra
Reaction score
Reactions
14,847 687 1,540
Alleybux

Basically about 30 mins of cardio a few times a week is all thats necessary
Focus on progressive strength training and let your nutrition do most of the work

Reaction score
Reactions
3,616 131 98
Alleybux
You can do sprints or the stair climber as a warm up for 20 mins. Then lower body weight training.

petalwitch

Qui vivra verra
Reaction score
Reactions
14,847 687 1,540
Alleybux

Oh wow! We're in the same boat haha! Yeah I'm 125lbs and your height as well and want to get back down a little more. I go on jogs a lot so if you do that at least 3 times a week you'll probably start to lose some weight (at least in my experience). Good luck and make sure you eat well <3

Focus on strength training, since you're both petites I highly reccommend her channel that targets petite women who want to lose weight and tone up. She has a free workout plan I can send you! Let your nutrition do most of the work: high protein, quality fats, and fiberous carbs, low/no salt, tons of water and sleep

Bunbuns

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,426 217 53
Alleybux
Focus on strength training, since you're both petites I highly reccommend her channel that targets petite women who want to lose weight and tone up. She has a free workout plan I can send you! Let your nutrition do most of the work: high protein, quality fats, and fiberous carbs, low/no salt, tons of water and sleep

Thanks! I'll check her out. And yeah if you can send the workout plan any chance you get that'd be awesome :)

Karina98

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,430 6,411 973
Alleybux
Hi,

I was here last month lmao but I started back up at the gym doing cardio and weighted lunges & squats...

I've been doing research because I want to tone my legs but I would also like to lose weight in the legs & about 10 pounds. That's it though because I'm small but gained 10-15 because of 'rona.

Every time I look something up I keep getting answers that are opposite of each other. Some people say that strength training is the way to go and you'll lose weight & cardio is a total waste of time.

Other people say that you need HIIT and cardio like the treadmill to lose weight and you will be fine. They say that if you're trying to lose weight in the legs (though you cannot choose where to lose weight obviously) then squats and lunges, especially weighted are bad because you will gain muscle and sppear bigger.

What is the truth? I'm just trying to get summer ready lol. Not trying to be running on the treadmill wasting my time or doing squats with 25 pound dumbbells & getting bigger.
If you’re looking to tone you have to do weight training.Try HIIT it’ll tone you up good and help you lose fat.

MelinaRollins

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,265 1,053 609
Alleybux
Hi,

Cardio is VERY good for your cardiovascular system (hence the name). Cardiovascular diseases are the #1 killer in the US (or at least VERY high up there) as you know. It's VERY good for you. Cardio can never be "bad".

If you exercise ANY way, you will lose fat (may not lose WEIGHT though because all exercises build muscles to an extent, even cardio) but to be honest...it's all about what you eat. Diet is much more important than exercise but nobody likes to hear this because who wants to change what they eat? NOBODY lol

TheVixen

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,554 102 27
Alleybux
Both are good l must say.

What is needed is moderation in eating and exercise.

Then consistency and self descipline.

Last edited:

D E L E T E

DELETE ACCOUNT
Reaction score
Reactions
86,235 6,032 1,872
Alleybux
Other people have given you the perfect advice in here but I just want to say something that regardless of the aesthetic result, it's healthy to get some form of moderate to intense cardio at least 5 days a week. Your risks of so many diseases will go down and it really holds a mind-body benefit.

bbydollz

Bang bang bang pull the trang as I shoot my sh*t
Reaction score
Reactions
47,372 2,609 127
Alleybux
cardio is really good for your heart...Millionnaire Hoy Hiit videos are really good for cardio.

Mademoiselle

Feminine Wiles
Reaction score
Reactions
71,176 5,121 4,945
Alleybux
“I want to tone my legs but I would also like to lose weight in the legs & about 10 pounds.”

To tone means to reduce body fat.

The most effective way to this is low to moderate cardio. Not high intensity.

So basically you’re going to walk everyday to lean out your legs.
Keep it simple. Cleanup your quarantine diet.

High incline treadmill walking routine. Find one on the internet. Tone your legs right up.

Zsazsa

Tell Me Are You That Somebody
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
3,193 42 1
Alleybux
Look up Rachael Attard. She has a Lean Legs program. You have to pay for the extensive program but she has some free content.

olprettybastard

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,234 177 118
Alleybux
Dancing workouts are the best way to lose weight in your legs, tone & get cardio in imo, hip-hop & ballet especially. Very fun & works you out all the way around. I do those along with boxing & cycling & it never feels like a chore & so I hope this helps. Good luck!