Quantcast

UPDATE Is Church's Chicken worth a 45 minute drive?

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
We don’t have them in Seattle. But when I go to Houston to visit my homegirl, I get it for nostalgia sake.

I will never forget being broke in college and ordering a couple of biscuits and the cashier (older Black lady) was like “Y’all eat naked bread?!?” b!tch! Just hand our broke asses the biscuits so we can leave.

I know I’m years late but there is Church’s Chicken in the Seattle area. Not in the city of Seattle specifically but there is one in a city outside of Seattle. Des Moines, Federal Way & Lakewood have locations.

Andmetoo

Like Titus Andromedon, I am an enigma.
Reaction score
Reactions
101,556 1,506 370
Alleybux
I know I’m years late but there is Church’s Chicken in the Seattle area. Not in the city of Seattle specifically but there is one in a city outside of Seattle. Des Moines, Federal Way & Lakewood have locations.
LOL. The have since moved to the East Coast and there ain’t NAN one out my way. However, I DID find the one you’re referring to RIGHT BEFORE I moved. I still appreciate your trying. I be randomly fiendin’ for that okra, greasy ass chicken and Scrawberry Fanta!

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
LOL. The have since moved to the East Coast and there ain’t NAN one out my way. However, I DID find the one you’re referring to RIGHT BEFORE I moved. I still appreciate your trying. I be randomly fiendin’ for that okra, greasy ass chicken and Scrawberry Fanta!

Oooo I love me some fried okra!!!! I went to the Lakewood location when it first opened. It was the first one in WA. It was good but now I’m over Church’s because they always serve me fried okra that isn’t hot and fresh. If I want fried okra my go to is Ezell’s. I don’t like their chicken but I go specifically for the fried okra only. Fat’s Chicken & Waffle’s has good fried okra too.

Andmetoo

Reaction score
Reactions
101,556 1,506 370
Alleybux
Oooo I love me some fried okra!!!! I went to the Lakewood location when it first opened. It was the first one in WA. It was good but now I’m over Church’s because they always serve me fried okra that isn’t hot and fresh. If I want fried okra my go to is Ezell’s. I don’t like their chicken but I go specifically for the fried okra only. Fat’s Chicken & Waffle’s has good fried okra too.
Yep. Ezell’s and Heaven Sent (their chicken tenders and chicken livers were good) were my okra go to, but Church’s okra was on something different. I only went to that Church’s once, so luckily it was fresh out the grease. I don’t know Fat’s. Where was it?

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
Yep. Ezell’s and Heaven Sent (their chicken tenders and chicken livers were good) were my okra go to, but Church’s okra was on something different. I only went to that Church’s once, so luckily it was fresh out the grease. I don’t know Fat’s. Where was it?

Yes Heaven Sent chicken over Ezell’s any day because Mr. Ezell chose to keep the recipe over the name. I commend him for that but it wasn’t a good move financially speaking. I’m just sad he closed down the Renton location and now only has a location far up North. Fat’s is in the Central District. It caters more towards the YT’s that took over the neighborhood but still has good food nonetheless and owned/operated by Black people.

Andmetoo

Reaction score
Reactions
101,556 1,506 370
Alleybux
Yes Heaven Sent chicken over Ezell’s any day because Mr. Ezell chose to keep the recipe over the name. I commend him for that but it wasn’t a good move financially speaking. I’m just sad he closed down the Renton location and now only has a location far up North. Fat’s is in the Central District. It caters more towards the YT’s that took over the neighborhood but still has good food nonetheless and owned/operated by Black people.
Is this the spot that moved into the old Catfish Corner location? If so, I tried it a couple of times when it first opened and didn’t like the food.

I never knew or understood the drama with Ezell’s, what led to the split?

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
Is this the spot that moved into the old Catfish Corner location? If so, I tried it a couple of times when it first opened and didn’t like the food.

I never knew or understood the drama with Ezell’s, what led to the split?

Yes, that’s the place. It’s not for everyone but I do personally like it there.
Mr. Ezell and his wife had a NASTY divorce. When it was all said and done he got to choose to keep that family recipe or his family name. He chose the recipe thinking it would be better but it wasn’t. She got to keep the name and then ended up teaming up with the YT’s to push out more locations everywhere.

Andmetoo

Reaction score
Reactions
101,556 1,506 370
Alleybux
Yes, that’s the place. It’s not for everyone but I do personally like it there.
Mr. Ezell and his wife had a NASTY divorce. When it was all said and done he got to choose to keep that family recipe or his family name. He chose the recipe thinking it would be better but it wasn’t. She got to keep the name and then ended up teaming up with the YT’s to push out more locations everywhere.
Ah ok. I had heard it was a divorce. Then I heard it was a battle between him and a brother. I wasn’t sure. Funny enough, I just went to whichever one was closest. I thought they tasted the same. But I wasn’t an expert on their chicken. Being from the Deep South, I thought it was aight.

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
Ah ok. I had heard it was a divorce. Then I heard it was a battle between him and a brother. I wasn’t sure. Funny enough, I just went to whichever one was closest. I thought they tasted the same. But I wasn’t an expert on their chicken. Being from the Deep South, I thought it was aight.

You have to remember we don’t have too many “soul food” restaurants here or ones that have lasted that many years. So things that started back in the day when Seattle had more Blacks or when the CD (central district) was truly Black just became a household name or staple. Tbh Ezell’s chicken strips low key reminded me of Cane’s went I went in Vegas. And Cane’s was better because of the sauce. I love my city and our staples we have but I know it’s only the best of the best here and when I travel I get to experience the true best of the best.

Andmetoo

Reaction score
Reactions
101,556 1,506 370
Alleybux
You have to remember we don’t have too many “soul food” restaurants here or ones that have lasted that many years. So things that started back in the day when Seattle had more Blacks or when the CD (central district) was truly Black just became a household name or staple. Tbh Ezell’s chicken strips low key reminded me of Cane’s went I went in Vegas. And Cane’s was better because of the sauce. I love my city and our staples we have but I know it’s only the best of the best here and when I travel I get to experience the true best of the best.
Oh, no I get it. Ezell’s/Heaven Sent more of my money than any other spot. The Catfish Corner was almost in the running. They were definitely the best. For whole catfish, I started going to Southern Kitchen in Tacoma. CC STAYED not having food on the menu (the new location off 23rd).

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
Oh, no I get it. Ezell’s/Heaven Sent more of my money than any other spot. The Catfish Corner was almost in the running. They were definitely the best. For whole catfish, I started going to Southern Kitchen in Tacoma. CC STAYED not having food on the menu (the new location off 23rd).

See I went all the way to Tacoma once or twice for Southern Kitchen and it just wasn’t it for me. I loved the restaurant tho, the whole Southern vibes and what not but the food was just regular to me. I want more for my city so bad!!!! I feel like these ppl can cook amazing at home but when it comes to a restaurant they lack because they aren’t properly adding enough seasonings/sugar for the portions they are making.

I never went to that new location for CC. I know too much of that man’s drama with his personal business because of Facebook & I don’t want to support him lol. And that’s interesting running out of ingredients when he got close to a mil in free money to open that place from many community businesses and groups

Andmetoo

Reaction score
Reactions
101,556 1,506 370
Alleybux
See I went all the way to Tacoma once or twice for Southern Kitchen and it just wasn’t it for me. I loved the restaurant tho, the whole Southern vibes and what not but the food was just regular to me. I want more for my city so bad!!!! I feel like these ppl can cook amazing at home but when it comes to a restaurant they lack because they aren’t properly adding enough seasonings/sugar for the portions they are making.

I never went to that new location for CC. I know too much of that man’s drama with his personal business because of Facebook & I don’t want to support him lol. And that’s interesting running out of ingredients when he got close to a mil in free money to open that place from many community businesses and groups
Now you know I want the tea, but I know it ain’t that kind of thread!

I think it was Black foolishness mixed with pandemic related supply chain issues. When I talked to Southern Kitchen folks about their lack of whole catfish and okra, they said it had become damn near impossible to import from their Southern connect. They were always so professional, I believed them. Plus they removed them from the menu unlike CC.

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
Now you know I want the tea, but I know it ain’t that kind of thread!

I think it was Black foolishness mixed with pandemic related supply chain issues. When I talked to Southern Kitchen folks about their lack of whole catfish and okra, they said it had become damn near impossible to import from their Southern connect. They were always so professional, I believed them. Plus they removed them from the menu unlike CC.

See now I respect them for doing that because most places just have you thinking you’re about to get your favorite and they don’t have it. That happens with hushpuppies for me all the time.

Lmao might as well spill the tea. That man be having all his different women coming in there demanding free food and be yelling at his employees for not giving it to them like they supposed to keep up with his harem. Mind you the man is supposed to be in a whole relationship with one of his BM’s. But not the latest one because he’s low key a pedo because the girl was like 16/17 messing with him and got pregnant. Facebook tells all the tea okay. I be so shocked like wow it’s really ghetto outchea.

Andmetoo

Reaction score
Reactions
101,556 1,506 370
Alleybux
See now I respect them for doing that because most places just have you thinking you’re about to get your favorite and they don’t have it. That happens with hushpuppies for me all the time.

Lmao might as well spill the tea. That man be having all his different women coming in there demanding free food and be yelling at his employees for not giving it to them like they supposed to keep up with his harem. Mind you the man is supposed to be in a whole relationship with one of his BM’s. But not the latest one because he’s low key a pedo because the girl was like 16/17 messing with him and got pregnant. Facebook tells all the tea okay. I be so shocked like wow it’s really ghetto outchea.
Chile that’s some Sho Nuff mess.

Is he young with locs? I know I experienced some foolishness with the cashier AGAIN and they were missing something YET AGAIN. I don’t know if he was the head cook or what, but he spoke up like he owned the joint from the back. He was like give me your number and I will let you know when it’s in. I was like “I’m straight” and didn’t go back. It didn’t seem like he was trying to holler, more like a don’t give us YET ANOTHER bad review on Yelp sort of thing.

kkellykash

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,997 311 177
Alleybux
Chile that’s some Sho Nuff mess.

Is he young with locs? I know I experienced some foolishness with the cashier AGAIN and they were missing something YET AGAIN. I don’t know if he was the head cook or what, but he spoke up like he owned the joint from the back. He was like give me your number and I will let you know when it’s in. I was like “I’m straight” and didn’t go back. It didn’t seem like he was trying to holler, more like a don’t give us YET ANOTHER bad review on Yelp sort of thing.

No he doesn’t have dreads. But the description of him would fit a man with dreads the way he such a f boy lol. He’s young like 30s young.
I doubt they would have contacted you anyways. Is he creating a list or spreadsheet with the customer info and which item they want to see back in stock? lol