Quantcast

Is claim adjuster a good career transition to make?

Glitterkissbaby

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
696 21 5
Alleybux
I am currently a secretary , 30 years old, no kids and I feel stuck. I am not happy with my current job, it’s a hostile environment that doesn’t pay me enough for that audacity lbvs. I would like to get a certification in something so that I can have a “career” rather than just a job that I grabbed to get by. I live in the Midwest so cost of living isn’t bad. I am thinking of doing the adjuster pro course for insurance adjuster but want to be sure it is worth it. I know stress will come with the job as with many jobs but is it so bad that it is affecting your quality of life and/or making you wish you’d done something else? OR if you have any other suggestions for a certification I can get that’ll allow me to make a decent amount of money and have job security. Perhaps in the medical field? Sorry that I am all over the place with this post, but again I just feel kind of lost! I’m leaning towards this career but some things I’ve heard are making me nervous. Some have said they love it, others have nothing positive to say about the field.

mslee21

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
38,956 1,729 866
Alleybux
Do you have a bachelors degree ? You can get hired in at progressive and become one . I wouldn’t pay to take a course like that

youneverknow

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,072 17 1
Alleybux
I was an adjuster for an insurance company doing auto claims. I was miserable lots of people yelling, impossible closing metrics, and too many claims for one person to deal with in my opinion. It maybe diff for you and you can move to specialty in claims like PIP, SIU, major loss etc I suggest trying to do that if you chose the company route. A company will pay for your training and license. There are also catastrophic claims adjuster that travel for natural disasters.

Colts Fan

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
172,196 14,041 2,546
Alleybux
It would be stable employment if you go that route as you will always have a job. However it depends if you are willing to deal with the stress etc.

Have you considered bookkeeping? That can be done anywhere and not nearly as stressful plus you can work in any industry.

htownsfinest

Your poverty offends me!
Reaction score
Reactions
49,699 773 271
Alleybux
Claims adjusting is lucrative but definitely stressful. If you are new to it I would get hired on first as a trainee and if you get on at a big carrier like GEICO or Progressive they will pay for your license. It’s so many types of claims adjusting that you can do from auto to workers comp. if you are single and don’t mind traveling at a moment’s notice become a CAT adjuster. That’s where the real money is

Glitterkissbaby

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
696 21 5
Alleybux
If
Claims adjusting is lucrative but definitely stressful. If you are new to it I would get hired on first as a trainee and if you get on at a big carrier like GEICO or Progressive they will pay for your license. It’s so many types of claims adjusting that you can do from auto to workers comp. if you are single and don’t mind traveling at a moment’s notice become a CAT adjuster. That’s where the real money is

if I want to specify in a certain type of adjusting do i have to get special training? Or will general adjusting training cover it? I was thinking of being a field property adjuster

Glitterkissbaby

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
696 21 5
Alleybux

Thank you, Is there a certain certification I’ll need for CAT adjusting or will the general certification be enough ?

Glitterkissbaby

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
696 21 5
Alleybux

Thank you, Is there a certain certification I’ll need for CAT adjusting or will the general certification be enough ?
I heard to s
I was an adjuster for an insurance company doing auto claims. I was miserable lots of people yelling, impossible closing metrics, and too many claims for one person to deal with in my opinion. It maybe diff for you and you can move to specialty in claims like PIP, SIU, major loss etc I suggest trying to do that if you chose the company route. A company will pay for your training and license. There are also catastrophic claims adjuster that travel for natural disasters
I was advised to avoid auto claims, was told they’re the worst category in the adjusting field

pink12

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,338 4 5
Alleybux
I worked as a claims adjuster for a well known insurance carrier. I ultimately quit due to the work load. The money is decent, but not enough. The customers can be extremely demanding, and the volume of claims on a daily basis was insane. I only managed to decrease my workload when the pandemic first hit and everyone first started working from home/initial shutdowns. Time management is super important as you will likely work your full 8hrs everyday plus overtime.

htownsfinest

Your poverty offends me!
Reaction score
Reactions
49,699 773 271
Alleybux
If

if I want to specify in a certain type of adjusting do i have to get special training? Or will general adjusting training cover it? I was thinking of being a field property adjuster
You will have to train specifically for the type of adjuster that you become. Most of those courses that are offered online and in person are for field property but again a major carrier will invest in your training and licensing.

htownsfinest

Your poverty offends me!
Reaction score
Reactions
49,699 773 271
Alleybux
I heard to s

I was advised to avoid auto claims, was told they’re the worst category in the adjusting field
Auto is definitely stressful but outside of cat it’s money in it. You really have to know how to balance your workload and manage your customers. If you can’t and a lot of people don’t you will likely quit. If you can manage it and then get into a specific niche like personal injury or litigation claims you can coast and make a good career out of it.

Psalm

I groan back and sometimes I do so viciously
Reaction score
Reactions
283,921 18,832 4,093
Alleybux
I’ve only read complaints on job boards. What about mortgage loan certification?

Glitterkissbaby

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
696 21 5
Alleybux
Is there any category
I’ve only read complaints on job boards. What about mortgage loan certification?
I was reading them on job boards and Reddit lol. I’ll look into that, does it pay well! Well I guess I can look up the salary range in my area lol

Psalm

I groan back and sometimes I do so viciously
Reaction score
Reactions
283,921 18,832 4,093
Alleybux
Is there any category

I was reading them on job boards and Reddit lol. I’ll look into that, does it pay well! Well I guess I can look up the salary range in my area lol
Yes and they can work remote. Right now it’s really good because of the market.

ItsMeDarlin

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,724 70 101
Alleybux
I am currently a secretary , 30 years old, no kids and I feel stuck. I am not happy with my current job, it’s a hostile environment that doesn’t pay me enough for that audacity lbvs. I would like to get a certification in something so that I can have a “career” rather than just a job that I grabbed to get by. I live in the Midwest so cost of living isn’t bad. I am thinking of doing the adjuster pro course for insurance adjuster but want to be sure it is worth it. I know stress will come with the job as with many jobs but is it so bad that it is affecting your quality of life and/or making you wish you’d done something else? OR if you have any other suggestions for a certification I can get that’ll allow me to make a decent amount of money and have job security. Perhaps in the medical field? Sorry that I am all over the place with this post, but again I just feel kind of lost! I’m leaning towards this career but some things I’ve heard are making me nervous. Some have said they love it, others have nothing positive to say about the field.
I hated it. Too many demands. The insureds think they know your job better than you, so too many back and forths with them. Caseloads were so high I used to dream about them. The medical field is always a good route. Good luck!

pinkflower89

Some of you don't read and it shows.
Reaction score
Reactions
34,776 761 292
Alleybux
If you do decide to pursue it, be careful with applying for Allstate. They are currently doing layoffs. I had an interview with them recently and needless to say, they were not happy that I brought it up during my interview questions lol.

Lilm0mma

buenas noches
Reaction score
Reactions
17,868 330 65
Alleybux
I am so happy I read this thread before applying for this claims adjustor job. I found a Medical claims position instead and it sounds a little more appealing. Does anyone work in this field?

Deddydondada

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,966 401 101
Alleybux
I worked as a claims adjuster for a well known insurance carrier. I ultimately quit due to the work load. The money is decent, but not enough. The customers can be extremely demanding, and the volume of claims on a daily basis was insane. I only managed to decrease my workload when the pandemic first hit and everyone first started working from home/initial shutdowns. Time management is super important as you will likely work your full 8hrs everyday plus overtime.
Do you mind if i PM you about this? I have a few specific questions

DynastyKnows

Introvert
Reaction score
Reactions
81,949 1,331 695
Alleybux
I heard to s

Yes please avoid auto at all costs, especially dealing with total losses. Their metrics are insane, and if you’re like me and hate being stressed out by your job REALLY take the time to consider if it’s for you

Butterfree16

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,848 1,620 999
Alleybux
Like everyone else said, AVOID auto claims. It's high stress, low pay and they don't pay enough for the volume of claims that you have to handle. I hated it because I could never keep up with the amount of files that I had to do and I was always drowning.

HairMunsta

Your Daddy’s House
Reaction score
Reactions
7,977 60 28
Alleybux
From what I’ve read on a forum full of geico employees it’s not the business due to stress level and change in work culture. I came from Revenue Cycle for medical facilities and dealt with high level stress and also have experience with insurance call center. Honestly the role isn’t so bad if you know how to decompress and not take stuff personal.

Most trainee jobs start at 45-50k with sign on bonus due to staff shortages going on. Within 5 years you could easily hit 90k plus ( might have to leave role for a competitor) to do this.

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom