Quantcast

Is it just my family, or Africans actually don’t like cheese?

Serino

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
327 10 5
Alleybux
Sudanese-my family exclusively eats feta. Only my sister and I eat other forms of cheese willingly lol
Feta is very popular, especially on fuul. I love when it's mixed with shredded carrot and used as a filling in savory pastries.

I think braided cheese is the most popular form of cow cheese in Sudan.
20100527IMG_2429%20-%20Version%203.jpg

Champagne44

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
311,734 5,059 443
Alleybux
Well, in Trinidad, we eat a lot of macaroni pie for Sunday lunch and that’s a setta cheese. We also like cheese paste sandwiches a lot and porridge. But, besides that, we more use coconut milk in everything we cooking than dairy. Milk is more so fuh the punches (smoothies). And grape nut is a big contention lol :)

If your carribean country has some kind of french connection in the past ur using some sort of milk. We typically use carnation milk not coconut milk. We have Macaroni pie with cheese. My grandma use to make her own butter, we had edam and gouda cheese, the laughing cow cheese was my fave tho. Also we used milk to make some dairy based custard desserts. I hate custards. And our icecream were all dairy based made with eggs, what they called french churned (american icecream is so weak, the closest is Hagen daaz) I dont know if maybe I was different or maybe my family was different or just my country was different, but as a child my absolute fave meal in the world was fresh bread, with fresh butter, milk and cheese. I could eat that sh!t 3x a day if they would let me. People in my country would have a variation of that for breakfast during the week except they would have the raw cacao/chocolate tea but made with milk. Even our lipton tea is drunk with milk, english style.

So I guess this is a long way of saying it all depends on who colonized u in the carribean and intertwined their food culture into ur DNA. Lol.

Champagne44

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
311,734 5,059 443
Alleybux
Soow.

This is soow with thiakry (millet seed). A Senegalese specialty.
This looks yummy, like chia seed pudding ( mixed with greek yogurt). Which I have been obsessed with lately btw.

I swear the more u go around the world, the more u see we all are working from the same genetic memory. I wish humans would stop being obsessed with skin color and superiority over each other and just figure this sh!t out. Cuz I swear the day we realize we all have more in common than we are different, is the day we will actually start to evolve as a species.

Afrikanu

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,466 973 523
Alleybux
They can produce cheeses all they want to, but the fact remains that cheese isn’t really that popular in Africa like it is in the western world.

And???? Why you low self-esteem fools raised in the West use Westerns as a barometer for everything?

Rice isn't as popular in the Western world as it is in West Africa and Asia. But rice is still part of many Western world dishes. Being less popular when compared to x or y, doesn't mean it is not part of...Cheese is part of many cultures across the more than 3000 tribes in Africa. Many of them have been making their own cheese for centuries.

In other words, you just said more nonsense...

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
I love cheese, but I also grew up in the states and was born in a country that was colonized by Italy - so yeah we eat pizza and spaghetti as a nation - well in the city anyways and my mom cooks the most delicious lasagna ...roasted meats too.

It's good if Africans don't eat cheese its really bad for you, reason why people are dying out here - all that heart disease.

AsmaraDreamz

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,315 829 1,046
Alleybux
It’s not in their diets. Cheese is white ppl stuff. I eat bc I’m Black American and am westernized. I’m so used to eating it. This reminds me of people on Twitter talking about never hearing of Chinese people eat cheese. It made no sense the big deal that they were making of it bc plenty of cultures don’t eat cheese.

That's why Asians don't have as many dietary problems - cheese and milk have lots of fat.

Jahshii

Barbs, divestors, and republicans= blocked
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
85,758 4,824 5,011
Alleybux
And???? Why you low self-esteem fools raised in the West use Westerns as a barometer for everything?

Rice isn't as popular in the Western world as it is in West Africa and Asia. But rice is still part of many Western world dishes. Being less popular when compared to x or y, doesn't mean it is not part of...Cheese is part of many cultures across the more than 3000 tribes in Africa. Many of them have been making their own cheese for centuries.

In other words, you just said more nonsense...
Like I said, cheese isn’t that big of a deal in Africa like it is in the west. Granted, I have lived in the west my whole life, I have also traveled and experienced things from many countries. I’m not the one with the low self esteem here, you’re the one in here mad about some damn cheese.

I can’t stand people who exaggerate

Reaction score
Reactions
1,019 52 97
Alleybux
Is it just my family or Africans don’t generally like cheese? The majority of my family members (primarily older ones) don’t like cheese at all.

When my cousin moved here 2 years ago, he thought cheese was so disgusting. He’s young so I realized that it wasn’t just an older African generation thing. I also have a friend from Nigeria who told me the first time he ate pizza he asked them to remove cheese. When eats burgers he also removes cheese.

Looking back at my childhood, the only cheese we ever ate was the laughing cow. We usually put it on bread like butter. And I can’t think of a single African meal I’ve eaten that includes cheese.

So is it just my family or the people I’ve met... or Africans really just don’t like cheese??!
Your family probably has some form of mild Lactose intolerance.

Different African groups, especially herders & some hunter gatherers might find cheese amazing.
gr2.jpg

The different alleles that allow us to be lactose persistent into our adulthood.

Nigerians don't really drink that much milk on average
journal.pone_.0124845.g001-1.jpg
so cheese or other diary products being repulsive to them shouldn't be surprising.

Afrikanu

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,466 973 523
Alleybux
Like I said, cheese isn’t that big of a deal in Africa like it is in the west. Granted, I have lived in the west my whole life, I have also traveled and experienced things from many countries. I’m not the one with the low self esteem here, you’re the one in here mad about some damn cheese.

I can’t stand people who exaggerate

This explains everything. You lived your whole life in the West but you think that you know the different cultures in lands that are completely foreign to you...Delusional bird

Reaction score
Reactions
1,019 52 97
Alleybux
Being unable to digest something and being able to eat it are not mutually exclusive. You can eat dairy without being able to digest it. I’m lactose intolerant and I love cheese, for example, I just ignore the sluggishness and bloating after the fact and charge it to the game.
You have lactose Malabsorption, You're not allergic to diary products.

Jahshii

Barbs, divestors, and republicans= blocked
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
85,758 4,824 5,011
Alleybux
This explains everything. You lived your whole life in the West but you think that you know the different cultures in lands that are completely foreign to you...Delusional bird

You obviously didn’t read the following sentence, idiot.

factskiller

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
20 3 3
Alleybux
Perhaps it has to do with them making a less potent type of cheese. I don't doubt that there are exceptions. Fulani and Hausa are nomadic groups, so that likely explains it. Aren't they North African/middle eastern admixed? Lactose intolerance has both a cultural and a genetic component.
know the diffrence between hausas and fulanis. They are two different tribes with unsimilar cultures. Huasas are farmers btw while fulanis are nomads.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
know the diffrence between hausas and fulanis. They are two different tribes with unsimilar cultures. Huasas are farmers btw while fulanis are nomads.
Pretty sure that similarly to the fulanis, they've travelled quite a bit before settling and your comment in no way invalidates my earlier point (which by the way was framed as a hypothesis). Know not to get snappy over cheese. Africa's honour will not find itself compromised by an informal social media discussion on black people's predisposition to lactose intolerance.

''The Hausa have in the last 500 years criss crossed the vast landscape of Africa in all its four corners for varieties of reasons ranging from military service, long-distance trade, hunting, performance of hajj, fleeing from oppressive feudal kings as well as spreading Islam. ''

factskiller

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
20 3 3
Alleybux
Pretty sure that similarly to the fulanis, they've travelled quite a bit before settling and your comment in no way invalidates my earlier point (which by the way was framed as a hypothesis). Know not to get snappy over cheese. Africa's honour will not find itself compromised by an informal social media discussion on black people's predisposition to lactose intolerance.

''The Hausa have in the last 500 years criss crossed the vast landscape of Africa in all its four corners for varieties of reasons ranging from military service, long-distance trade, hunting, performance of hajj, fleeing from oppressive feudal kings as well as spreading Islam. ''
My reply was talking about you saying this "Aren't they North African/middle eastern admixed?". Hausas are genetically and physically different from fulanis. Hausas have wide noses, dark and most times you cant differentiate physically between a yoruba and hausa. Fulanis have pointy noses, skinny and light in skin tone.Fulanis have the north African admixture not hausas.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
My reply was talking about you saying this "Aren't they North African/middle eastern admixed?". Hausas are genetically and physically different from fulanis. Hausas have wide noses, dark and most times you cant differentiate physically between a yoruba and hausa. Fulanis have pointy noses, skinny and light in skin tone.Fulanis have the north African admixture not hausas.
All of them?
And they're all over the place, from West to East to North Africa. And they intermarried heavily with Fulanis.

1) ''The Fulani and Hausa cultural similarities as a Sahelian people however allowed for significant integration between the two groups. Since the early 20th century, these peoples are often classified as "Hausa-Fulani" within Nigeria rather than as individuated groups. In fact a large number of Fulani living in Hausa regions cannot speak Fulfulde at all and speak Hausa as their first language. Many Fulani in the region do not distinguish themselves from the Hausa, as they have long intermarried, they share the Islamic religion and more than half of all Nigerian Fulani have integrated into Hausa culture. [59]

2) Genetics

According to a Y-DNA study by Hassan et al. (2008), about 47% of Hausa in Niger, Cameroon, Nigeria and Sudan carry the West Eurasian haplogroup R1b (Western Asia). The remainder belong to various African paternal lineages: 15.6% B, 12.5% A and 12.5% E1b1a. A small minority of around 4% are E1b1b clade bearers, a haplogroup which is most common in North Africa and the Horn of Africa.[74]

factskiller

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
20 3 3
Alleybux
All of them?
And they're all over the place, from West to East to North Africa. And they intermarried heavily with Fulanis.

1) ''The Fulani and Hausa cultural similarities as a Sahelian people however allowed for significant integration between the two groups. Since the early 20th century, these peoples are often classified as "Hausa-Fulani" within Nigeria rather than as individuated groups. In fact a large number of Fulani living in Hausa regions cannot speak Fulfulde at all and speak Hausa as their first language. Many Fulani in the region do not distinguish themselves from the Hausa, as they have long intermarried, they share the Islamic religion and more than half of all Nigerian Fulani have integrated into Hausa culture. [59]

2) Genetics

According to a Y-DNA study by Hassan et al. (2008), about 47% of Hausa in Niger, Cameroon, Nigeria and Sudan carry the West Eurasian haplogroup R1b (Western Asia). The remainder belong to various African paternal lineages: 15.6% B, 12.5% A and 12.5% E1b1a. A small minority of around 4% are E1b1b clade bearers, a haplogroup which is most common in North Africa and the Horn of Africa.[74]
Imagine arguing with a born and raised nigerian. Go call a fulani "hausa-fulani", you'll hear what the person will reply. Lol even yorubas have the R1B haplogroup lmao.

"Most of the fulanis haplotypes belong to haplogroups of West African origin, such as L1b, L3b, L3d, L2b, L2c, and L2d (79.6% in total), which are all well represented in each of the four geographically separated samples. The haplogroups of Western Eurasian origin, such as J1b, U5, H, and V, were also detected but in rather low frequencies (8.1% in total)."

Genetics:

Last edited:

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,497 831 193
Alleybux
I don't particularly care for cheese or dairy in general tbh.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
Imagine arguing with a born and raised nigerian. Go call a fulani "hausa-fulani", you'll hear what the person will reply. Lol even yorubas have the R1B haplogroup lmao.

"Most of the fulanis haplotypes belong to haplogroups of West African origin, such as L1b, L3b, L3d, L2b, L2c, and L2d (79.6% in total), which are all well represented in each of the four geographically separated samples. The haplogroups of Western Eurasian origin, such as J1b, U5, H, and V, were also detected but in rather low frequencies (8.1% in total)."

Genetics:
Who cares what you are? I know that some of you Naijas tend to be deluded into thinking that you're the center of the African universe but the topic is not limited to Nigeria. The thread is about the whole continent of Africa as it relates to lactose intolerance and Hausas are spread in a multitude of countries all over the continent. You being Nigerian does not make you all-knowing and nowhere is it written that I have to take your word as gospel without ever looking up your statements to form my own opinion. Sorry to burst your bubble but you're not a deity. Hausas are spread all over these countries, intermarry regularly with Fulanis who you youself claim can have middle eastern/ non-black admixture. In light of this info, I find it kind of hard to believe that there is zero phenotypical variation amongst them. You're just gonna have to deal with me exercising my freedom to comment on any topic as I see fit. If the topic of cheese gets you so worked up, then skip over the cheese isle at the market and move along. I have no desire to entertain your little temper tantrum.
CountryPopulation
23px-Flag_of_C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire.svg.png
Ivory Coast
1,035,000[27]
23px-Flag_of_Benin.svg.png
Benin
1,028,000[6]
23px-Flag_of_Sudan.svg.png
Sudan
919,000[28]
23px-Flag_of_Cameroon.svg.png
Cameroon
400,000[29]
23px-Flag_of_Chad.svg.png
Chad
287,000[30]
23px-Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png
Ghana
281,000[31]
23px-Flag_of_the_Central_African_Republic.svg.png
Central African Republic
33,000[32]
23px-Flag_of_Eritrea.svg.png
Eritrea
30,000[11]
23px-Flag_of_Equatorial_Guinea.svg.png
Equatorial Guinea
26,000[33]
23px-Flag_of_Togo.svg.png
Togo
21,000[34]
23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg.png
Congo
12,000[35]
20px-Flag_of_Gabon.svg.png
Gabon
12,000[36]
23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png
Algeria
11,000[37]
23px-Flag_of_The_Gambia.svg.png
Gambia
10,000[38]

Last edited:

factskiller

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
20 3 3
Alleybux
Who cares what you are? I know that some of you Naijas tend to be deluded into thinking that you're the center of the African universe but the topic is not limited to Nigeria. The thread is about the whole continent of Africa as it relates to lactose intolerance and Hausas are spread in a multitude of countries all over the continent. You being Nigerian does not make you all-knowing and nowhere is it written that I have to take your word as gospel without ever looking up your statements to form my own opinion. Sorry to burst your bubble but you're not a deity. Hausas are spread all over these countries, intermarry regularly with Fulanis who you youself claim can have middle eastern/ non-black admixture. In light of this info, I find it kind of hard to believe that there is zero phenotypical variation amongst them. You're just gonna have to deal with me exercising my freedom to comment on any topic as I see fit. If the topic of cheese gets you so worked up, then skip over the cheese isle at the market and move along. I have no desire to entertain your little temper tantrum.
CountryPopulation
23px-Flag_of_C%C3%B4te_d%27Ivoire.svg.png
Ivory Coast
1,035,000[27]
23px-Flag_of_Benin.svg.png
Benin
1,028,000[6]
23px-Flag_of_Sudan.svg.png
Sudan
919,000[28]
23px-Flag_of_Cameroon.svg.png
Cameroon
400,000[29]
23px-Flag_of_Chad.svg.png
Chad
287,000[30]
23px-Flag_of_Ghana.svg.png
Ghana
281,000[31]
23px-Flag_of_the_Central_African_Republic.svg.png
Central African Republic
33,000[32]
23px-Flag_of_Eritrea.svg.png
Eritrea
30,000[11]
23px-Flag_of_Equatorial_Guinea.svg.png
Equatorial Guinea
26,000[33]
23px-Flag_of_Togo.svg.png
Togo
21,000[34]
23px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_the_Congo.svg.png
Congo
12,000[35]
20px-Flag_of_Gabon.svg.png
Gabon
12,000[36]
23px-Flag_of_Algeria.svg.png
Algeria
11,000[37]
23px-Flag_of_The_Gambia.svg.png
Gambia
10,000[38]
the only place known for hausa and fulani intermarriage is nigeria. Hausas arent even lactose tolerant. Absorption of lactose by various Nigerian ethnic groups

Google is free for you, watch Fulanis take their ancestry test and you'll see north African present.

Facts>feelings.
MM lets use your logic here, Hausa-Fulani are people of mixed Hausa and Fulani origin. Now what of the full blooded hausa? Are you going to be called hausa-fulani? Why is this hausa-fulani idea only adopted in nigeria and not other west African countries? If hausas and fulani are one then why are hausas lactose intolerant compared to fulanis. Take the L man.

lulu91

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
120,744 976 139
Alleybux
Are people really having disputes with each other and insulting one another in a thread about Cheese?? Cheese??
1620713720088.gif

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
the only place known for hausa and fulani intermarriage is nigeria. Hausas arent even lactose tolerant. Absorption of lactose by various Nigerian ethnic groups

Google is free for you, watch Fulanis take their ancestry test and you'll see north African present.

Facts>feelings.
MM lets use your logic here, Hausa-Fulani are people of mixed Hausa and Fulani origin. Now what of the full blooded hausa? Are you going to be called hausa-fulani? Why is this hausa-fulani idea only adopted in nigeria and not other west African countries? If hausas and fulani are one then why are hausas lactose intolerant compared to fulanis. Take the L man.

And the point you're making with the bolded is....? At what point did I make it a point that Hausas were lactose intolerant?:laugh2

Perhaps it has to do with them making a less potent type of cheese. I don't doubt that there are exceptions. Fulani and Hausa are nomadic groups, so that likely explains it. Aren't they North African/middle eastern admixed? Lactose intolerance has both a cultural and a genetic component.
And I thought you said earlier that Hausa-Fulani people did not exist (I mean, you're an all-knowing Nigerian, how could you possibly be wrong!), so much so that any Hausa or Fulani would no doubt beat me up for even suggesting their existence? Have you changed your mind and are too shy to let me know? :laugh2

let it go, man. Milk and cheese should not have you so upset.

Last edited:

factskiller

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
20 3 3
Alleybux
And the point you're making with the bolded is....? At what point did I make it a point that Hausas were lactose intolerant?:laugh2

And I thought you said earlier that Hausa-Fulani people did not exist (I mean, you're an all-knowing Nigerian, how could you possibly be wrong!), so much so that any Hausa or Fulani would no doubt beat me up for even suggesting their existence? Have you changed your mind and are too shy to let me know? :laugh2

let it go, man. Milk and cheese should not have you so upset.
you just said hausas-fulani is a whole tribe and are middle eastern admixed lmao. " Fulani and Hausa are nomadic groups, so that likely explains it. Aren't they North African/middle eastern admixed?". Plus the way tribes work in nigeria is you claim ur fathers side. adios man. study about nigeria properly. Lmao "hausas are nomadic", "arent hausas middle eastern admixed".

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,903 1,520 1,308
Alleybux
I'm west African, I love cheese and despise milk. My cousin hates cheese but loves milk. Other family members could be either way.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
you just said hausas-fulani is a whole tribe and are middle eastern admixed lmao. " Fulani and Hausa are nomadic groups, so that likely explains it. Aren't they North African/middle eastern admixed?". Plus the way tribes work in nigeria is you claim ur fathers side. adios man. study about nigeria properly. Lmao "hausas are nomadic", "arent hausas middle eastern admixed".
That's not what I said. Time to renew your prescription lenses. LOL
And no, I will not ''study about Nigeria''. I already told you y'all ain't the center of the world. Delusions of grandeur do not equal fact :laugh2