Is the Bay Area not worth it?

MASja2

♋️ T E R F extraordinaire ♋️
Reaction score
Reactions
18,592 1,495 441
Alleybux
Alameda is pretty MAGA/ blue lives matter for being a short bridge from
Oakland. At an MLK day caravan THIS YEAR, there was a guy with a gun pointed at people. I know the whole world racist, especially the US but I just wanna be upfront about what to expect.

Dating probably the same as most major US cities but at a smaller scale. You WILL PROBABLY find out dudes are trying to talk to your friends, you WILL PROBABLY meet someone cool & find out his best friend is a weirdo you’ve curved, you WILL PROBABLY run into an old date more than once, you WILL PROBABLY find out dudes out here mostly gas up latinas, filipinas, and white women like Kreayshawn. Idk a lot of my friends deal with Azn, Latino or white men. Tried it, not for me. I’ve noticed a lot of short men here too. Holding TF ON to my tall Jamaican ting, he was hard to find in Oakland
Lmao noo why there gotta be so many short men. Is this in regards to online dating?

jellybreezy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,713 918 83
Alleybux
Lmao noo why there gotta be so many short men. Is this in regards to online dating?
knocking on wood but my online dating days were not as sad as my club days lol. there may be hope

from feelin short men tryna yike on me at the club when im in heels (I’m only 5’4) to trying molly at EDM festivals and feeling my friends pull me away from the Korean dude I was making out with- meeting dudes outside was actually worse for me. With apps, I can ask for an ig handle and figure out who’s a hoe and/or a father from there.
I did have one app incident where I went back with some Latin guy and he took me to projects in the mission. So I left! As I was outside waiting for a friend to swoop me, some small child (pretty sure it was dude’s baby) and so did some drug dealer both were talking to me in Spanish. I was ite tho cuz I may or may not keep a knife on me.

But all in all, haven’t had baby mama drama or broke men from the apps. Yet have met those characters through mutual friends and classes I’ve taken. i was only on tinder a few months but was able to set up a roster that lasted 2017-2020. been dating someone now for a year who i met at the end of that hoe stage.

if u are on those app streets lmao be careful with tinder scammers! I don’t bring anyone over until we hung out at least 5x. But a homegirl of mines let a tinder link sleep over- she took a shower and her apple watch and wallet were gone.

Last edited:

angelicpretty

Put it on his face like I'm dancing on a facetime
Reaction score
Reactions
22,480 466 51
Alleybux
A lot of men from the Bay tend to come from ethnicities who dont grow very tall (Asian/Hispanic/a lot of the whites). A lot of the Black men are varied in height too but you have a better chance on getting a cute 6’0 BM than a 6’0 AM/LM. Tall white men are ugly IMO

MASja2

Reaction score
Reactions
18,592 1,495 441
Alleybux
knocking on wood but my online dating days were not as sad as my club days lol. there may be hope

from feelin short men tryna yike on me at the club when im in heels (I’m only 5’4) to trying molly at EDM festivals and feeling my friends pull me away from the Korean dude I was making out with- meeting dudes outside was actually worse for me. With apps, I can ask for an ig handle and figure out who’s a hoe and/or a father from there.
I did have one app incident where I went back with some Latin guy and he took me to projects in the mission. So I left! As I was outside waiting for a friend to swoop me, some small child (pretty sure it was dude’s baby) and so did some drug dealer both were talking to me in Spanish. I was ite tho cuz I may or may not keep a knife on me.

But all in all, haven’t had baby mama drama or broke men from the apps. Yet have met those characters through mutual friends and classes I’ve taken. i was only on tinder a few months but was able to set up a roster that lasted 2017-2020. been dating someone now for a year who i met at the end of that hoe stage.

if u are on those app streets lmao be careful with tinder scammers! I don’t bring anyone over until we hung out at least 5x. But a homegirl of mines let a tinder link sleep over- she took a shower and her apple watch and wallet were gone.
Wild! Do you have any club recommendations in the area? I'm 29 but need to get out after this pandemic. I keep assuming SF guys will be rich techies basically. But I want a hood Oakland dude too. Oh dilemmas.

ziaaa

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
372 54 85
Alleybux
I’ll break it down for you. All the natives have left. It’s all transplants now. Great if you work in tech if you don’t I wouldn’t move here. San Jose is NOT the Bay Area, like technically yes just like staten island is technically nyc San Jose is a different world and many east bay ppl know nothing about it. I think it’s called like the peninsula or something? Dk. Dating is hard! Don’t believe what these fonts tell you. If you’re young and on the come up it’s fine but if you’re established and older then run! You’re better off going down south for dating. I can’t speak on the nightlife cuz I don’t go out anymore all I know is I know plenty of single black women out here and so does my mom who is 47 and her friends are established successful black women.

angelicpretty

Reaction score
Reactions
22,480 466 51
Alleybux
I’ll break it down for you. All the natives have left. It’s all transplants now. Great if you work in tech if you don’t I wouldn’t move here. San Jose is NOT the Bay Area, like technically yes just like staten island is technically nyc San Jose is a different world and many east bay ppl know nothing about it. I think it’s called like the peninsula or something? Dk. Dating is hard! Don’t believe what these fonts tell you. If you’re young and on the come up it’s fine but if you’re established and older then run! You’re better off going down south for dating. I can’t speak on the nightlife cuz I don’t go out anymore all I know is I know plenty of single black women out here and so does my mom who is 47 and her friends are established successful black women.
As someone born, raised, and lived all over the East Bay, can you East Bay people stop with that sh!t? It’s called South Bay for a reason and most of the East Bay work in SV so how do they know nothing about the cities they work in? San Jose ain’t no different from the rest of the Bay. You’re the one who sounds like a damn transplant not knowing what areas are named what.

Got me out here defending San Jose and I don’t even live there.

ziaaa

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
372 54 85
Alleybux
The Bay Area is great for Black women. I would recommend the inner East Bay. Oakland, Berkeley, Emeryville, Alameda(which is a bit more family oriented, but it’s right by Oakland) . San Jose is nice too(it’s a bit more spread out though) and it has better weather(it’s warmer).

Since you work in tech most of the jobs will more than likely be in San Jose area(Silicon Valley/South Bay). Campbell is a very nice city out there. The parts of the Bay I mentioned earlier are an hour out from the area you would working so I would try to look at areas near where you work.

As someone born, raised, and lived all over the East Bay, can you East Bay people stop with that sh!t? It’s called South Bay for a reason and most of the East Bay work in SV so how do they know nothing about the cities they work in? San Jose ain’t no different from the rest of the Bay. You’re the one who sounds like a damn transplant not knowing what areas are named what.

Got me out here defending San Jose and I don’t even live there.
Ok miss girl. San Jose is an hour away from Oakland on a good day. If you know the intimate details of a city that has less than 10% black people that’s an hour away then more power to you. I don’t know anyone from Oakland that does but like you said you’re from all over *shrug*

angelicpretty

Reaction score
Reactions
22,480 466 51
Alleybux
Ok miss girl. San Jose is an hour away from Oakland on a good day. If you know the intimate details of a city that has less than 10% black people that’s an hour away then more power to you. I don’t know anyone from Oakland that does but like you said you’re from all over *shrug*
judging by your mom’s age, I’m guessing that you’re pretty young and don’t know too many professionals who commute and that’s okay. But I suggest you read up on your city’s gentrification issue and why there’s so much damn traffic in the Bay Area.
And maybe get out of Oakland for like a day or two and explore the Bay Area that’s not SF. Chile you sound like you missing out.

So I’m confused. Does dating suck there??
I think it’s by an individual bases and your type. Keep an open mind to 5’9 men and men w/a little chub :LOL:
Jk but as a fat Black woman with a pretty face, dating is not as bad as people make it out to be. Majority of my matches are Black people but I also date out. It’s unique but it’s not SoCal which sounds like a nightmare.

BabyGurl11

Tea at the Ritz
Reaction score
Reactions
10,873 290 29
Alleybux
judging by your mom’s age, I’m guessing that you’re pretty young and don’t know too many professionals who commute and that’s okay. But I suggest you read up on your city’s gentrification issue and why there’s so much damn traffic in the Bay Area.
And maybe get out of Oakland for like a day or two and explore the Bay Area that’s not SF. Chile you sound like you missing out.

I think it’s by an individual bases and your type. Keep an open mind to 5’9 men and men w/a little chub :LOL:
Jk but as a fat Black woman with a pretty face, dating is not as bad as people make it out to be. Majority of my matches are Black people but I also date out. It’s unique but it’s not SoCal which sounds like a nightmare.

Thanks for the feedback!!

ziaaa

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
372 54 85
Alleybux

Just wtf.

Abbie Mills

Wife of Prince Daemon Targaryen and President Snow
Reaction score
Reactions
79,105 1,113 415
Alleybux
Plenty of people live in other parts of the Bay and work in another it’s not uncommon. San Jose is part of the greater Bay(located in the South Bay not the peninsula which is Palo Alto area). It is all connected. Like many big metros sometimes it takes an hour to get from one end to another, but it’s still in the same metro.

Even though San Jose doesn’t have that many Black people you wouldn’t feel out of place living there. True it’s not as Black as Oakland(again you will be hard pressed to find a city of its size in the bay/on the west coast that is as Black as Oakland), but it’s not racist and the people are nice. It isn’t a bad place to live. Although I personally would rather live in a nearby suburb which is why I recommended Campbell.

BabyGurl11

Tea at the Ritz
Reaction score
Reactions
10,873 290 29
Alleybux
How is it living in Oakland? Is it safe?
This is an honest question. I’m not familiar with the dynamics in the different Cali cities. Cali is at the top of my list in terms of states to move to, but I haven’t figure out what city just yet.

ziaaa

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
372 54 85
Alleybux
Plenty of people live in other parts of the Bay and work in another it’s not uncommon. San Jose is part of the greater Bay(located in the South Bay not the peninsula which is Palo Alto area). It is all connected. Like many big metros sometimes it takes an hour to get from one end to another, but it’s still in the same metro.

Even though San Jose doesn’t have that many Black people you wouldn’t feel out of place living there. True it’s not as Black as Oakland(again you will be hard pressed to find a city of its size in the bay/on the west coast that is as Black as Oakland), but it’s not racist and the people are nice. It isn’t a bad place to live. Although I personally would rather live in a nearby suburb which is why I recommended Campbell.
Lol. Ok you’re splitting hairs. I already said that San Jose was technically apart of the Bay Area.

Abbie Mills

Wife of Prince Daemon Targaryen and President Snow
Reaction score
Reactions
79,105 1,113 415
Alleybux
Lol. Ok you’re splitting hairs. I already said that San Jose was technically apart of the Bay Area.
San Jose isn’t just “technically” in the Bay Area it is as much a part of it as Oakland is. You said that those from San Jose and those in the east Bay don’t interact/don’t go to each other’s half of the bay, but they do. You made it seem like people only live and work in their part of the bay, but that’s not true. Plenty of people are forced to work in one part of the area and live in (or move away from where they are from) another due to economical reasons.

People also can have friends and family from all over the region and frequently visit them. You also did not know what part of the bay San Jose was in. I don’t mean to be rude but you aren’t from the region and people from there(including myself) where trying to correct you since you made it seem like San Jose wasn’t an ideal place to live. That’s all.
This is an honest question. I’m not familiar with the dynamics in the different Cali cities. Cali is at the top of my list in terms of states to move to, but I haven’t figure out what city just yet.
Oakland is as safe as any big city in my opinion. There are some really rough areas, but that comes with every city. It gets a bad rap honestly in part because of stuff that happened in the 80-90s and because it is a Black oriented city. However, parts of it are getting gentrified now because of people moving from San Francisco.

If I where to live in Oakland I would live in the Rock Ridge area, near lake Merrit, Piedmont ave, Grand Lake , and Temescal. Keep in mind though that these areas are very expensive due to the fact that they are highly desirable locations (walk ability and things to do) and pretty safe. East Oakland can be dangerous. I would mostly stay away from it.

If you don’t mind living in a smaller community that’s more resdential I would also look into Alameda which is a island right off Oakland. You have to take a bridge/tunnel to get to it, but it’s very nice(especially near the beach).

ziaaa

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
372 54 85
Alleybux
San Jose isn’t just “technically” in the Bay Area it is as much a part of it as Oakland is. You said that those from San Jose and those in the east Bay don’t interact/don’t go to each other’s half of the bay, but they do. You made it seem like people only live and work in their part of the bay, but that’s not true. Plenty of people are forced to work in one part of the area and live in (or move away from where they are from) another due to economical reasons.

People also can have friends and family from all over the region and frequently visit them. You also did not know what part of the bay San Jose was in. I don’t mean to be rude but you aren’t from the region and people from there(including myself) where trying to correct you since you made it seem like San Jose wasn’t an ideal place to live. That’s all.

Oakland is as safe as any big city in my opinion. There are some really rough areas, but that comes with every city. It gets a bad rap honestly in part because of stuff that happened in the 80-90s and because it is a Black oriented city. However, parts of it are getting gentrified now because of people moving from San Francisco.

If I where to live in Oakland I would live in the Rock Ridge area, near lake Merrit, Piedmont ave, Grand Lake , and Temescal. Keep in mind though that these areas are very expensive due to the fact that they are highly desirable locations (walk ability and things to do) and pretty safe. East Oakland can be dangerous. I would mostly stay away from it.

If you don’t mind living in a smaller community that’s more resdential I would also look into Alameda which is a island right off Oakland. You have to take a bridge/tunnel to get to it, but it’s very nice(especially near the beach).
Ok I still don’t consider San Jose part of the bay and neither do other people. You already proved my point when you said east bay people don’t consider San Jose part of the bay. I’m one of those ppl. And you shld really stop making assumptions about people im Oakland born and raised whereas you are from all over. Bye.

Observe

Hit da Gas, and be outti 5 on dey azz
Reaction score
Reactions
22,293 7,222 4,795
Alleybux
Ok I still don’t consider San Jose part of the bay and neither do other people. You already proved my point when you said east bay people don’t consider San Jose part of the bay. I’m one of those ppl. And you shld really stop making assumptions about people im Oakland born and raised whereas you are from all over. Bye.

Yes it is the bay, the bay goes all the way to Santa Cruz I think. San Jose is more bay than Vallejo to me for that fact that it was really popping in the 90s on the club scene and rappers were performing at clubs there where they gained a large San Jose audience . The bay might also go all the way to Santa Rosa because it’s the same bay vibe there. OP don’t move to Vacaville or these places on the outskirts of the bay. If you want to be where it’s popping move to Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Emeryville, and SF, even Albany and El Cerrito are cool but is weak once you get into Richmond. Alameda is cool and no it’s more Maga in Hayward and San Leandro than Alameda. Berkeley and SF used to be more popping than Oakland but they stopped Affirmative Action at UC Berkeley so no more Black Culture in that city, SF is wack now, no more Japanese tourist girls into hip hop hanging in the streets with us , the skater culture is dead there , no more clubs and bars spinning hip hop and live performances by rappers. The bay Neo Soul culture has been dead since hyphy took it over. You also might like Santa Cruz or Marin County cuz the ocean is warm and you can swim without a wet suit in the summer and the nature.

Observe

Reaction score
Reactions
22,293 7,222 4,795
Alleybux

why are all these broke MFers hanging at Lake merrit every single damn day.

Observe

Reaction score
Reactions
22,293 7,222 4,795
Alleybux
Wild! Do you have any club recommendations in the area? I'm 29 but need to get out after this pandemic. I keep assuming SF guys will be rich techies basically. But I want a hood Oakland dude too. Oh dilemmas.

don’t get it twitsted. SF has hoods and projects too it’s just not as much as it used to be cuz of gentrification.

H8Me2

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
831 42
Alleybux
I work in tech in live in MA. I want to live somewhere warm because I can't stand winters anymore. I heard the Bay Area isn't really great for BW but my industry is there. I'm also considering ATL and maybe Houston, TX,.
Not warm there

H8Me2

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
831 42
Alleybux
Try Southern Cali!

teecoilee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,494 1,342 673
Alleybux
The Bay Area is what you make of it. Definitely great career opportunities. Dating hit or miss and if you have to have a black man it’s definitely not a winner. But if you’re attractive and fit you will do fine. Live as close to work as you can afford because commuting is for the birds.

Imsonosey

It is what it is
Reaction score
Reactions
10,677 229 12
Alleybux
The Bay Area is what you make of it. Definitely great career opportunities. Dating hit or miss and if you have to have a black man it’s definitely not a winner. But if you’re attractive and fit you will do fine. Live as close to work as you can afford because commuting is for the birds.
This is what I want to know OP: are you looking for a job that you can use public transportation to get to work? Because if that’s the case, the East Bay is a good option if you have a job in SF. However, if you are willing to drive, you can live and work almost anywhere but as @teecoilee said, commuting is ridiculous here.

teecoilee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,494 1,342 673
Alleybux
What are the main industries? I’m guessing IT and healthcare?
Tech, healthcare, higher ed (several universities in the area), Wells Fargo has a HQ there long with mechanics and a few other smaller banks, port of Oakland (shipping/maritime), lots of government and municipal, there is really a good diverse set of career opportunities.

UStoleMyName

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,767 341 51
Alleybux
I lived in SF temporarily, a while back and I felt a lot of anti black vibes there and anti black woman from the small amount of black males. I wished I would have explored more while being in the bay area but it made me not want to go back and it turned me off from traveling as much.

Codec7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,057 1,875 871
Alleybux
I lived in SF temporarily, a while back and I felt a lot of anti black vibes there and anti black woman from the small amount of black males. I wished I would have explored more while being in the bay area but it made me not want to go back and it turned me off from traveling as much.
I agree. I lived in SF for two years and moved last month. Let me tell you, it is VERY anti black. I’m talking older Asians staring at you just living your life, white people and their micro aggressions, and tech bros everywhere as far as dating. I looked at my options for men in my area and legit didn’t even try after the first week because it was so depressing and I never had issues dating in the past (I came from nyc). I’ve never seen a black man here who was not homeless.

It’s really just a playground/haven for liberal whites who want to pretend like they’re not racist too. I had never been more depressed there smh,

also, the homelessness and human feces everywhere downtown is the most sickening thing I’ve ever seen.
Oakland is a bit better but starting to become like sf since a lot of people from SF moved there. More culture but getting harder to find. I didn’t venture out beyond sf much though

Mz. Judgement

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
272,702 8,383 1,952
Alleybux
I bet

Piccadilly05

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,616 329 195
Alleybux
Sorry to add onto the 'What is and what isn't considered the Bay" argument in this thread, but I have to jump onto the side of the locals who are saying that San Jose is most definitely part of the Bay Area. I thought you were joking @ziaaa when you said that it was only technically part of the Bay. I mean, seriously? The whole metro is called San Francisco - San Jose - Oakland. Everyone from here knows that. For those of us who grew up on the Peninsula (which is NOT where San Jose is located, btw) San Jose was easier to get to than Oakland on most days.

OP, the region has four main areas: North Bay, South Bay, East Bay, and the Peninsula. Here are some quick and dirty stereotypes about each area:

The North Bay: high income earners with a low density population. Napa and Sonoma Valleys (where all of the fancy wine is grown) is located here and the area in general is cooler than much of the rest of the Bay (I think). Predominantly rich white folks.

The South Bay: Tech City central. If Palo Alto, in the Peninsula, is the birthplace of Silicon Valley, then San Jose, in the South Bay, is its heart. A lot of tech companies in the 90s set up shop in this region. Your eBays, Adobes, HPs, Ciscos, etc. Apple Computers is headquartered in the nearby town of Cupertino, and well the whole area is one big ass sprawling suburb. Kind of annoying really, imo, but if you want to work in computers and tech, chances are you'll be coming through here eventually, if not everyday.

The Peninsula: yuppie central? I don't know. Someone else is going to have to give you stereotypes about the Peninsula. I grew up there, so I think it's too close to home for me to generalize well. The climate in this area tends to be milder than the East Bay because its surrounded by water on three sides. This region is also home to Stanford University, which was a launching pad for many of the tech companies that became the giants of Silicon Valley . Companies headquartered in this area include Facebook, Google, YouTube (now a part of Google), and Genentech. Growing up here, I felt like all of my friends' parents were either engineers in Silicon Valley or professors at Stanford. That probably wasn't the case, but that's how it felt. Outside of SF, this is probably where you're going to find some of the most expensive real estate per square foot (Palo Alto/Atherton/Los Altos Hills/Portola Valley). There are also working class and lower-income neighborhoods in this region, but I swear they are fading by the day. Some of it is being turned into mixed-income housing, but nowhere near enough to satisfy the market's demand.

The East Bay: The truth is I don't know a lot about the East Bay. I'm not from there and didn't grow up there. I've been to Oakland off and on over the years, but it was never a big draw for me since I did most of my "city" things in SF. That doesn't mean that I don't think of it as part of the region though! All I can really say about the East Bay is that it has a wider selection of middle-class housing and that it gets SUPER HOT in the summer. I used to pray for y'all every time I saw the morning forecast on the news. Whew. I don't know how you guys do it. It's also home to Oakland, as you probably know, and UC Berkeley.

Also, as a final point. I lived in the Davis area as well for a bit, and I must say that I would not recommend living there or in Vacaville if you intend of working at a company in the Bay, especially not one in the South Bay. That commute is going to be brutal and a drag after one week. Whoever said upthread that living in Vacaville is a definite way to get stuck in both Bay Area and Sacramento traffic has it correct. I mean, Vacaville is fine, but don't live there if you plan on commuting to work outside of that somewhat no-man's land region.

TL;DR: SJ, like Oakland, is a part of the Bay Area. Saying otherwise is like arguing that Brooklyn isn't a part of NYC, but the Bronx is.

Last edited:

Krafty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,056 7,014 9,249
Alleybux
I agree. I lived in SF for two years and moved last month. Let me tell you, it is VERY anti black. I’m talking older Asians staring at you just living your life, white people and their micro aggressions, and tech bros everywhere as far as dating. I looked at my options for men in my area and legit didn’t even try after the first week because it was so depressing and I never had issues dating in the past (I came from nyc). I’ve never seen a black man here who was not homeless.

It’s really just a playground/haven for liberal whites who want to pretend like they’re not racist too. I had never been more depressed there smh,

also, the homelessness and human feces everywhere downtown is the most sickening thing I’ve ever seen.
Oakland is a bit better but starting to become like sf since a lot of people from SF moved there. More culture but getting harder to find. I didn’t venture out beyond sf much though
This was my exact sentiments the one week I spent in San Francisco for a work trip. I was SHOOK at the destitution among black people there.

Codec7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,057 1,875 871
Alleybux
This was my exact sentiments the one week I spent in San Francisco for a work trip. I was SHOOK at the destitution among black people there.
Seriously, worse time of my life. Just felt isolated there and I couldnt pin point why. Even black people a part of the tech scene felt a way as well though I hardly EVER saw them. Maybe a few black people every few MONTHS. Sad I had sort of gotten stuck there during the pandemic but so glad I left.

Last edited:

MASja2

Reaction score
Reactions
18,592 1,495 441
Alleybux
Seriously, worse time of my life. Just felt isolated there and I couldnt pin point why. Even black people a part of the tech seen felt a way as well though I hardly EVER saw them. Maybe a few black people every few MONTHS. Sad I had sort of gotten stuck there during the pandemic but so glad I left.
SF sounds a lot like Boston which is where I lived for years. All these predominately white cities are the same ugh. I'm avoiding SF like the plague and even if I'll work there, I'll just commute. San Jose seems a lot more diverse.

Imsonosey

It is what it is
Reaction score
Reactions
10,677 229 12
Alleybux

Seriously, worse time of my life. Just felt isolated there and I couldnt pin point why. Even black people a part of the tech scene felt a way as well though I hardly EVER saw them. Maybe a few black people every few MONTHS. Sad I had sort of gotten stuck there during the pandemic but so glad I left.

SF sounds a lot like Boston which is where I lived for years. All these predominately white cities are the same ugh. I'm avoiding SF like the plague and even if I'll work there, I'll just commute. San Jose seems a lot more diverse.

LISTEN! I'm trying really hard to NOT work in SF. It is so damned depressing going there and I live on the other side of the bay.

Last edited:

Codec7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,057 1,875 871
Alleybux
LISTEN! I'm trying really hard to NOT work in SF. It is so damned depressing going there and I live on the other side of the bay.
And it’s only gotten much worse since the pandemic. They said homelessness in the city has risen by 300 percent since March 2020. Plus the crime has risen as well... I saw a clip of this car getting robbed in TRAFFIC last month. It’s crazy. Don’t do it sis!

Imsonosey

It is what it is
Reaction score
Reactions
10,677 229 12
Alleybux
And it’s only gotten much worse since the pandemic. They said homelessness in the city has risen by 300 percent since March 2020. Plus the crime has risen as well... I saw a clip of this car getting robbed in TRAFFIC last month. It’s crazy. Don’t do it sis!
I'd rather drive to San Jose than take BART into SF. That's how much I don't want to work in The City

Codec7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,057 1,875 871
Alleybux
I'd rather drive to San Jose than take BART into SF. That's how much I don't want to work in The City
And don’t even get me started on BART... it’s the stuff of nightmares. And I’m saying this after living in NYC for many years.

I could go on for days about BART I’ve seen way too much in SF

MASja2

Reaction score
Reactions
18,592 1,495 441
Alleybux
And don’t even get me started on BART... it’s the stuff of nightmares. And I’m saying this after living in NYC for many years.

I could go on for days about BART I’ve seen way too much in SF
Lol I wanna hear some BART stories. Isn't it a smaller metro system compared to NYC? I heard some stations aren't safe.

Codec7

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,057 1,875 871
Alleybux
Lol I wanna hear some BART stories. Isn't it a smaller metro system compared to NYC? I heard some stations aren't safe.
The homeless are just soooo gross and BART is so much worse than NYC subways sanitation wise and that is saying a lot. Plus delays and way over packed and... yeah people use it as a restroom and it gets disgusting.

I wish more people would talk about this. I felt like I was the only person so shocked. But after a while people really do become desensitized to it.

Last edited:

Imsonosey

It is what it is
Reaction score
Reactions
10,677 229 12
Alleybux
I've never been to NYC so I can't compare, but I will tell you that you are generally correct. There are stations that I wouldn't want to be at after dark, but most of them are fine.
The homeless are just soooo gross and the BART is so much worse the NYC subways sanitation wise and that is saying a lot. Plus delays and way over packed and... yeah people use it as a restroom and it gets disgusting.

I wish more people would talk about this. I felt like I was the only person so shocked. But after a while people really do become desensitized to it.

Hell, BART made the news for how unsanitary their cars were. Luckily they have changed out the cars so they could be cleaned better and easier, but it was nasty. Also the bathrooms...I would have to pray that I got to one that had just been cleaned because some of them were terrible. And the agents...

If it wasn't other people, it was definitely the service. As @Codec7 said, the delays were frequent enough to piss me off.

Oh, and the pricing structure pisses me off. I remember being in Vancouver, BC, and loving that theirs was zone-based. I wish we had that.

BART and (AC Transit, TBH) were why I ended up buying a car.