Quantcast

Is there a sizable black population in Oceania?

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,039 19,673 18,910
Alleybux
There's a good amount of African immigrants in Australia and New Zealand (mostly Sudanese and Somali iirc)

I don't consider Melanesians black and I'm sure they don't consider themselves black either.

I've heard that the whites over there have a lot of negative things to say of those East African gangs. Any truth to there being a heavy gang activity in AussieLand?

KidEmperor89

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,680 438 815
Alleybux
Yep, and their countries are included in Oceania, not Asia. But some of these ignorant ass fonts can't be bothered to look at a map.
oceania.gif
Oceania is a region not a continent. Lol learn geography. Australia is a continent.

KidEmperor89

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,680 438 815
Alleybux
Yep, and their countries are included in Oceania, not Asia. But some of these ignorant ass fonts can't be bothered to look at a map.
oceania.gif
This is why America's education system needs to be improved. People don't know the difference between a region and continent.
Oceania | region, Pacific Ocean
Oceania has traditionally been divided into four parts: Australasia (Australia and New Zealand), Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia. As recently as 33,000 years ago no human beings lived in the region, except in Australasia. Although disagreeing on details, scientists generally support a theory that calls for a Southeast Asian origin of island peoples. By 2000 about 12 million islanders lived in Oceania (excluding Australia), and many indigenous cultures were revolutionized by intensive contact with non-Oceanic groups who had intruded from various parts of the Western world.

KidEmperor89

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,680 438 815
Alleybux
Weirdos ITT.

And you cannot prove they are not. You have only theories, based on the incomplete and likely biased data of others. And a denial of the obvious that appears to stem from an unstated (but guessable) agenda.

Also weird.
I can prove it. Here you go. Also it is not a denial but rather common sense. If they are African, then Europeans and other asians are Africans. This is people wanting tho make people who are not African/ black black for whatever stupid personal reasons.
‘Game-changing’ study suggests first Polynesians voyaged all the way from East Asia

KidEmperor89

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,680 438 815
Alleybux
Girl, I had this argument so many times on here. Fonts loved to groan and argue me down because I consider them black and so do they. I know YT classifies them as genetically very distant, but they came directly from Africa. They didn’t sprout up in Melanesia. They are not Asian, they have stronger ties to that group because they were most likely the predecessors of Asians, which makes sense. It’s like how many East Africans are shown as “Arab” in DNA tests and how some YTs try to say they aren’t black like the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa.
They came from Taiwan not directly from Africa

Isisleo86

FKA williams86
Reaction score
Reactions
511,373 8,973 1,173
Alleybux
Many melanisians, poynesians and aborginals consider themselves as black though, from what i heard.

That's because colonizing Europeans referred to them as black. Europeans damn near considered all brown people the same. Genetically Aboriginals, melanisians, etc have split so long ago from African populations that they're not genetically African. They're closer genetically to Asians, despite them looking phenotypically sub saharan African. If they came to America I'd think they were black based off looks until they spoke.

Angelayalet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,809 487 201
Alleybux
That's because colonizing Europeans referred to them as black. Europeans damn near considered all brown people the same. Genetically Aboriginals, melanisians, etc have split so long ago from African populations that they're not genetically African. They're closer genetically to Asians, despite them looking phenotypically sub saharan African. If they came to America I'd think they were black based off looks until they spoke.
Yeah this is true. They are genetically distant from us and closer to other asians groups so they aren't black in that sense. I think we are genetically closer to whites than them but we have similar phenotypes so they will be treated as black people.

POMPOUS

I'm a bad lil' bih & I'm snipped like a Barbie
Reaction score
Reactions
8,775 347 220
Alleybux
They came from Taiwan not directly from Africa
Which group? There are multiple theories as to how Melanesian/Oceanian groups arrived there. Australian Aborigines for example are also theorized to have come from Africa by boats more than 70,000 years ago:

"Aboriginal Australians could be the oldest population of humans living outside of Africa, where one theory says they migrated from in boats 70,000 years ago."

and their DNA has also been linked more closely to Africans in some cases:

"When DNA in the hair was compared with the genomes of people living in Asia, Europe, and Africa, scientists discovered that Aboriginal Australians are more closely related to Africans than they are to modern Asians and Europeans."

This is why America's education system needs to be improved. People don't know the difference between a region and continent.
Oceania | region, Pacific Ocean
Oceania has traditionally been divided into four parts:
Instead of trying to diss black Americans, you should really brush up on your comprehension skills. I did not say Oceania is a continent, though it is sometimes used as such in place of Australia:

"Oceania is a geographical (and geopolitical) region consisting of numerous countries and territories—mostly islands—in the Pacific Ocean. The primary use of the term "Oceania" is to describe a continental region (like Europe or Africa) that lies between Asia and the Americas, with Australia as the major land mass. The name "Oceania" is used, rather than "Australia," because unlike the other continental groupings, it is the ocean rather than the continent that links the nations together."

The only Melanesian country that is debatable as being apart of Asia is Papua New Guinea, which has been placed in both Asia and outside of it as shown in articles such as this one. Fiji, the Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu are not in Asia.

Last edited:

KidEmperor89

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,680 438 815
Alleybux
Which group? There are multiple theories as to how Melanesian/Oceanian groups arrived there. Australian Aborigines for example are also theorized to have come from Africa by boats more than 70,000 years ago:

"Aboriginal Australians could be the oldest population of humans living outside of Africa, where one theory says they migrated from in boats 70,000 years ago."

"When DNA in the hair was compared with the genomes of people living in Asia, Europe, and Africa, scientists discovered that Aboriginal Australians are more closely related to Africans than they are to modern Asians and Europeans."

Instead of trying to diss black Americans, you should really brush up on your comprehension skills. I did not say Oceania is a continent, though it is sometimes used as such in place of Australia:

"Oceania is a geographical (and geopolitical) region consisting of numerous countries and territories—mostly islands—in the Pacific Ocean. The primary use of the term "Oceania" is to describe a continental region (like Europe or Africa) that lies between Asia and the Americas, with Australia as the major land mass. The name "Oceania" is used, rather than "Australia," because unlike the other continental groupings, it is the ocean rather than the continent that links the nations together."

The only Melanesian country that is debatable as being apart of Asia is Papua New Guinea, which has been placed in both Asia and outside of it as shown in articles such as this one. Fiji, the Solomon Islands, and Vanuatu are not in Asia.
Can you provide links for the study mentioning africans.
oceania.gif
You clearly said that those countries are not apart of asia, which is a continent. Therefore you clearly implied oceania is a continent. Can your provide link mentioning the connection to Africa please? I never diss black americans(which I am) I simply said that america needs to improve its education system because people do not know stuff like this. If you took that at as a dig for black americans take it that way but I never stated nor implied such a thing.

Surreal

⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
241,901 7,371 6,305
Alleybux
Quackery.

They're in Asia. So yeah they are Asian. Same as all other Black African diaspora who long ago migrated out of Africa to Asia in places like India, China, Taiwan, Indonesia, etc.

What's more, your regurgitating what "they" say is Asian and what "they" say is African automatically disqualifies your position ITT.

Just stop it.

They're in Oceania. Oceania and Asia are two separate continents.

Exactly. I'm REAL confused about the fonts who know nothing about these populations trying to say that they're not black lmao

The Melanesians i.e Fijians, New Caledonians, Papua New Guineans people from Vanuatu and Australia among others are BLACK! Obviously they are not black American and share our tampered genetic makeup but they have roots in Africa.

Like you mentioned, a lot of these indigenous folks are the progenitors of the local asian populations around them not the other way around

Those people are not black. They were only called black cause racist ass white people didn't care to tell the difference. These people are more related to South Asians and Polynesians than they are to anyone in Africa. Are you going to call them black too? Their skin can get just as dark, and for Polynesians, their hair can get just as curly. No. None of them belong to the black race.

Their ancestors left Africa nearly 70,000 years ago. The ancestors of Europeans didn't leave Africa until 20,000 years later (50,000 years ago). That's 20,000 more years that their ancestors spent in Africa with our ancestors . That's something that didn't happen with the ancestors of Oceanians, cause they were already long gone. You see how much sh!t has changed in just 2,000 years. 2,000 years is supposedly when Jesus Christ died. So look at how the world was then compared to now. So much has changed. Well, imagine all the sh!t that can happen in 20,000 years.

So you see why they say they are so distantly related to everyone else on the planet? Cause they've been separated from everyone else since they left Africa 70,000 years. That's a long ass time especially when humans have only existed for like 200,000 years.

It's like having a Australian Aboriginal 6th cousin, but an English 3rd cousin while you're Nigerian. I'm sorry, but you're more related to that English 3rd cousin than you'll ever be to that 6th cousin no matter how much you think you look alike. Technically, there's a difference and you can definitely tell when someone is Melanesian and isn't black African.

It's kind of obvious. They have a look about them that makes them stand out amongst black African people.

I was watching a documentary about black hair and this filmmaker was showing pictures of afro hairstyles from various tribes, but they ignorantly threw a picture of Papua New Guineans in there and immediately you could tell those people were not like the other people that were shown. Their entire look was different. Australian Aborginals even more so don't look like black people. A lot of them have heavy brows that makes it hard to mistake them for any of race of people. It even distinguishes them from other Oceanians.

Oceania is a region not a continent. Lol learn geography. Australia is a continent.

Oceania is the name of a continent. Some old ass outdated geography books from 50 years ago tried to call the continent Australia cause Australia was the biggest country in Oceania, but things have changed and rightfully so. Oceania is the name of the continent, not Australia. Australia can take their ego trip somewhere else.

KidEmperor89

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,680 438 815
Alleybux

In 2017, a genetic study of the genomes of 111 Aboriginal Australians found that today’s Aboriginal Australians are all related to a common ancestor who was a member of a distinct population that emerged on the mainland about 50,000 years ago. Humans are thought to have migrated to Northern Australia from Asia using primitive boats. A current theory holds that those early migrants themselves came out of Africa about 70,000 years ago, which would make Aboriginal Australians the oldest population of humans living outside Africa.
Can I also ask a question, if someone leaves Africa 70000 years ago are they still africa? Cause then everyone is African and black then.

Surreal

⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
241,901 7,371 6,305
Alleybux
Melanesians and Australian Aboriginals are their own distinct race. I assume this forum is for actual black people. Those of Sub-Saharan African descent among the African diaspora.

And to answer Op's question, I've seen and heard about black Africans in Australia. They are more from Africa than from any other parts of the diaspora (like say America or the Caribbean). I think the largest are Sudanese immigrants. Australia has a large South African population too, but I think they are mostly white South Africans. But in recent years, Australia has gotten black immigrants from Zimbabwe, Kenya, the Congo, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda, Somalia, Zambia, Nigeria, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Liberia, Ghana, and Burundi.

Duckie Thot and her sister are examples of Sudanese Australians. Their family immigrated from what is now South Sudan, but it was just Sudan when they moved.

They say African immigrants make up 1.6% of Australia's population or about 380,000 people (but this number includes white South Africans and white Zimbabweans too).

I don't know about other countries in Oceania. Still I imagine Australia has the largest population of black immigrants.

And in Asia, well, I know there are African communities in Japan and China. It is said China also once took East African people from the Swahili Coast and enslaved them, but this like 1,000 years ago. I doubt the people they took left much of a trace in China.

The Siddi people, on the other hand, still reside in India, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka. They descend from the Bantu people of East Africa that were enslaved and taken to South Asia by the Portuguese during the last 500 years. They are still mostly Sub-Saharan African (65-70% Sub-Saharan African) on average. The rest of their DNA being South Asian (30-35% South Asian).

And there are still small black populations in West Asia. People descended from the Africans that were enslaved and taken to Arabia, Iran, and Turkey, etc. during the Arab/East African slave trade. Some others may have migrated to those places willingly in recent history and in the past too, especially for those of Muslim faith (a lot of Muslims from other places in the world have migrated to Saudi Arabia and stayed there. A Mali King once even made the journey to Mecca to show his faith in the 1300s.).

Last edited:

KidEmperor89

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,680 438 815
Alleybux
They're in Oceania. Oceania and Asia are two separate continents.

Those people are not black. They were only called black cause racist ass white people didn't care to tell the difference. These people are more related to South Asians and Polynesians than they are to anyone in Africa. Are you going to call them black too? Their skin can get just as dark, and for Polynesians, their hair can get just as curly. No. None of them belong to the black race.

Their ancestors left Africa nearly 70,000 years ago. The ancestors of Europeans didn't leave Africa until 20,000 years later (50,000 years ago). That's 20,000 more years that their ancestors spent in Africa with our ancestors . That's something that didn't happen with the ancestors of Oceanians, cause they were already long gone. You see how much sh!t has changed in just 2,000 years. 2,000 years is supposedly when Jesus Christ died. So look at how the world was then compared to now. So much has changed. Well, imagine all the sh!t that can happen in 20,000 years.

So you see why they say they are so distantly related to everyone else on the planet? Cause they've been separated from everyone else since they left Africa 70,000 years. That's a long ass time especially when humans have only existed for like 200,000 years.

It's like having a Australian Aboriginal 6th cousin, but an English 3rd cousin while you're Nigerian. I'm sorry, but you're more related to that English 3rd cousin than you'll ever be to that 6th cousin no matter how much you think you look alike. Technically, there's a difference and you can definitely tell when someone is Melanesian and isn't black African.

It's kind of obvious. They have a look about them that makes them stand out amongst black African people.

I was watching a documentary about black hair and this filmmaker was showing pictures of afro hairstyles from various tribes, but they ignorantly threw a picture of Papua New Guineans in there and immediately you could tell those people were not like the other people that were shown. Their entire look was different. Australian Aborginals even more so don't look like black people. A lot of them have heavy brows that makes it hard to mistake them for any of race of people. It even distinguishes them from other Oceanians.

Oceania is the name of a continent. Some old ass outdated geography books from 50 years ago tried to call the continent Australia cause Australia was the biggest country in Oceania, but things have changed and rightfully so. Oceania is the name of the continent, not Australia. Australia can take their ego trip somewhere else.
I agree with everything but oceania. From what I found, oceania is viewed as a region.

Oceania is a region made up of thousands of islands throughout the Central and South Pacific Ocean. It includes Australia, the smallest continent in terms of total land area. Most of Australia and Oceania is under the Pacific, a vast body of water that is larger than all the Earth’s continental landmasses and islands combined. The name “Oceania” justly establishes the Pacific Ocean as the defining characteristic of the continent.

Oceania is dominated by the nation of Australia. The other two major landmasses of Oceania are the microcontinent of Zealandia, which includes the country of New Zealand, and the western half of the island of New Guinea, made up of the nation of Papua New Guinea. Oceania also includes three island regions: Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia (including the U.S. state of Hawaii).

Oceania’s physical geography, environment and resources, and human geography can be considered separately.

Oceania can be divided into three island groups: continental islands, high islands, and low islands. The islands in each group are formed in different ways and are made up of different materials. Continental islands have a variety of physical features, while high and low islands are fairly uniform in their physical geography.

Continental Islands

Continental islands were once attached to continents before sea level changes and tectonic activity isolated them. Tectonic activity refers to the movement and collision of different sections, or plates, of the Earth’s crust

Is Australia a Country or a Continent? - Country Digest
Continents facts, Continents travel videos, flags, photos - National Geographic

Surreal

⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
241,901 7,371 6,305
Alleybux
I agree with everything but oceania. From what I found, oceania is viewed as a region.

Oceania is a region made up of thousands of islands throughout the Central and South Pacific Ocean. It includes Australia, the smallest continent in terms of total land area. Most of Australia and Oceania is under the Pacific, a vast body of water that is larger than all the Earth’s continental landmasses and islands combined. The name “Oceania” justly establishes the Pacific Ocean as the defining characteristic of the continent.

Oceania is dominated by the nation of Australia. The other two major landmasses of Oceania are the microcontinent of Zealandia, which includes the country of New Zealand, and the western half of the island of New Guinea, made up of the nation of Papua New Guinea. Oceania also includes three island regions: Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia (including the U.S. state of Hawaii).

Oceania’s physical geography, environment and resources, and human geography can be considered separately.

Oceania can be divided into three island groups: continental islands, high islands, and low islands. The islands in each group are formed in different ways and are made up of different materials. Continental islands have a variety of physical features, while high and low islands are fairly uniform in their physical geography.

Continental Islands

Continental islands were once attached to continents before sea level changes and tectonic activity isolated them. Tectonic activity refers to the movement and collision of different sections, or plates, of the Earth’s crust

Is Australia a Country or a Continent? - Country Digest
Continents facts, Continents travel videos, flags, photos - National Geographic

It's viewed as a continent. And more and more it will be. Calling Oceania Australia is the thing of the past. It's not like that anymore.

rejuvenation12

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
87,691 3,904 487
Alleybux
I know several people who moved to New Zealand and Australia. One loves it (especially for the adventure-type stuff), one said she experienced colorism unfortunately (but they are more slick about it).

Lithub

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,063 220 336
Alleybux
What is black? You need to stop putting American and eurocentric views on them. They tested them and they are related to other asians.

Melanesian are Asian by location, black by skin color, and African by features. imo lol.

? you're making the term black exclusive to sub-Saharan africans and why? well, because your Eurocentric people told you to, that's why! this is no imposition. calling them black doesn't make them African,

this.

Last edited:

creole mami G

Swamp Witch
Reaction score
Reactions
104,311 2,736 653
Alleybux
Not trying to start any trouble, but I noticed that this form is for "Discuss the history and culture of the African Diaspora in South America, Oceania and Asia," so I'm just wondering if there's a sizable diaspora there, I'm completely ignorant on this subject.
Accidentally hit groan sorry.

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,099 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
I saw a short doc recently about Moorea in French Polynesia (Polynésie française). That place looks like the ultimate paradise on earth. Never seen water quite that shade of turquoise green, not even in the Caribbean. And the nature… It looks like perfection. I wish I were rich. I would have a summer residence there.

thechosenjew

Notamossadspy
Reaction score
Reactions
1,791 98 304
Alleybux
These people are black, if you put them next to other blacks they would blend right in. I don't care to listen to western classification of what black is. They spent 140,000 years in Africa before leaving to the Pacific. You can't say someone isn't black just because yt told you there not, yt always come to retract theories when new evidence shows up; running with their theories is white supremacy and anti blacks. I'm truly convince tnere are alot of infiltrators on this site. Black people are diverse af, deal with it.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,124 140 42
Alleybux
These people are black, if you put them next to other blacks they would blend right in. I don't care to listen to western classification of what black is. They spent 140,000 years in Africa before leaving to the Pacific. You can't say someone isn't black just because yt told you there not, yt always come to retract theories when new evidence shows up; running with their theories is white supremacy and anti blacks. I'm truly convince tnere are alot of infiltrators on this site. Black people are diverse af, deal with it.

Race is pointless then if people who aren't close genetically can be considered the same...

They don't cluster near Africans at all but near East Asians instead...

main-qimg-e4369d5f3fa3337c30bacb548906f991

thechosenjew

Notamossadspy
Reaction score
Reactions
1,791 98 304
Alleybux
Race is pointless then if people who aren't close genetically can be considered the same...

They don't cluster near Africans at all but near East Asians instead...

main-qimg-e4369d5f3fa3337c30bacb548906f991
environment and regions mutate people’s dna, 1000 years from now AAs will have a different dna from sub saharan Africans. when technology gets better, i’m sure a lot of these dna analysts will be thrown out and re-examined. BR aren’t full black but yet AA claim them despite the dna of the other ancestry.

Nightshade13

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
243 23 1
Alleybux
My father is Samoan/Melanesian and they are not Asian .it’s Pacific Islander . America lumped Asian and Pacific Islander together when they are two different things . The South Pacific has plenty of black people just non African descent and Melanesians are not African because they are far removed from africa because of migration/genetics .

May Flowers

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
312,523 9,448 972
Alleybux
Yeah, I forgot, there are more Africans moving to Australia. Didn't know about New Zealand though.

A black girl from my high school lives in New Zealand with her black husband. I've never asked her why why she'd move there of all places. Her black friends go to visit her there though because I've seen pics. Other than that, I've never seen pics of her with local friends there, so I have no clue if other black people are around her. All her pics are of her by herself in parks and forests and sh!t.

Lithub

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
2,063 220 336
Alleybux
I don't care to listen to western classification of what black is. They spent 140,000 years in Africa before leaving to the Pacific. You can't say someone isn't black just because yt told you there not

Agree.