Quantcast

Is Your Major City Boring or is it just You?

O Bryan

80s Himbo
Reaction score
Reactions
45,856 2,869 3,629
Alleybux
I swear I see y'all call damn near every major metropolitan area boring. And I'm like how can that be? Every big city is going to cater to most niche crowds or interests. Most have bars/clubs, etc. Most have some form of recreational activity/outdoor scene. Most of an established religious community. And most have a dating pool, no matter how shallow.

That said, I can't help but conclude that a lot of y'all A) are actually just boring people. Of course a city gets boring if all you want to do is go to the (same) clubs and are only interested in meeting certain types people B) If you don't have the social skills and are scared to interact with different kinds of people. C) have no hobbies

I'm genuinely curious as to how any major city in the wealthiest country on earth can be boring?

Inquistive_1314

I’ll be up, up, and away
Reaction score
Reactions
11,543 174 101
Alleybux
I agree, where I live is actually boring tho! It’s majority white and I’m just not into some of the things that cater to that audience. What I will say is, once I move somewhere that does have a large black population that I won’t be as bored. Personally speaking, I prefer concerts, silent parties (basically everyone has on headphones and is dancing to music and you can switch the station etc, pretty cool stuff), art shows/galleries etc. so yeah I feel you. A city is what you make it.

Southernchic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
317,107 10,628 3,122
Alleybux
I swear I see y'all call damn near every major metropolitan area boring. And I'm like how can that be? Every big city is going to cater to most niche crowds or interests. Most have bars/clubs, etc. Most have some form of recreational activity/outdoor scene. Most of an established religious community. And most have a dating pool, no matter how shallow.

That said, I can't help but conclude that a lot of y'all A) are actually just boring people. Of course a city gets boring if all you want to do is go to the (same) clubs and are only interested in meeting certain types people B) If you don't have the social skills and are scared to interact with different kinds of people. C) have no hobbies

I'm genuinely curious as to how any major city in the wealthiest country on earth can be boring?
I think a lot of people that say that are unhappy in at least one aspect of their life. I live in Atl area but it’s not boring. However job market sucks and I'd rather be somewhere with better opportunities and if it’s near a beach that’s even better

O Bryan

80s Himbo
Reaction score
Reactions
45,856 2,869 3,629
Alleybux
I agree, where I live is actually boring tho! It’s majority white and I’m just not into some of the things that cater to that audience. What I will say is, once I move somewhere that does have a large black population that I won’t be as bored. Personally speaking, I prefer concerts, silent parties (basically everyone has on headphones and is dancing to music and you can switch the station etc, pretty cool stuff), art shows/galleries etc. so yeah I feel you. A city is what you make it.

I feel you. That's my point tho. Boredom is a necessity of fun. An area may not have the things you'd typically find interesting, BUT you should be willing to step outside your box and try something different. That's how you evolve and grow. Hell, you may not even know you like a certain activity until you try it.

Fort Worth

Black and Proud
Reaction score
Reactions
28,500 1,626 860
Alleybux
I agree, if your major city is boring, it reflects on you. But not all major cities are equal. I totally agree on Houston better than San Antonio

UbuTheDog

The Good Pureblood Dog. WOOF!!!
Reaction score
Reactions
37,105 4,937 1,758
Alleybux
It's all relative.

One person may find the pretentious eurocentric culture in Boston exciting. To me, frankly it's a bore.

jinx

casting spells
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
28,905 570 420
Alleybux
I have a friend that’s like this; everything everyplace is boring. She hates everything....I think she is unhappy with her life, doesn’t matter location.

And as you get older you see all the sh!t ends up being the same; I’ve lived from west-East, north to south and in between. Everyplace got a club, Walmart and grocery store:LOL:

MGTiger

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,654 6,262 6,987
Alleybux
I lived in Dallas for a while and didn't fully realize how boring it was until I moved to Atlanta.

I tried to make the most of Dallas but there's just not a robust social scene for college educated blacks there ... things have gotten slightly better but Dallas is really big on family, church, and work .... far from a fun/social/eclectic energy city like ATL.

UPS Guy

I was here
Reaction score
Reactions
91,289 4,097 4,038
Alleybux
I don't think Houston is boring, but it can be boring because of how the city and its amenities are laid out.

There are no designated party, event nor entertainment districts, the scene is always changing every 5 to 10 years. We have no Bourbon, 6th or Frenchmen street here.

We have no major amusement parks, our beaches leave a lot to be desired and everything is very spread out.

Public transit is trash, so getting around is even that much more annoying. You can't really bar hop and if so, you've already paid too much money to get into one spot, you not trying to leave once you're in.

Don't get me wrong, I have had some of the best times of my life here and as a fan of Zydeco music, I love trail rides and the southerness, but the city could do much better in organizing itself in way that is easier for tourists and residents to get around and find the entertainment venues and spots.

O Bryan

80s Himbo
Reaction score
Reactions
45,856 2,869 3,629
Alleybux
It's all relative.

One person may find the pretentious eurocentric culture in Boston exciting. To me, frankly it's a bore.

So you're basically begrudging it because it's not Atlanta/DC

I have a friend that’s like this; everything everyplace is boring. She hates everything....I think she is unhappy with her life, doesn’t matter location.

And as you get older you see all the sh!t ends up being the same; I’ve lived from west-East, north to south and in between. Everyplace got a club, Walmart and grocery store:LOL:

Exactly. American cities are mostly the same.

I lived in Dallas for a while and didn't fully realize how boring it was until I moved to Atlanta.

I tried to make the most of Dallas but there's just not a robust social scene for college educated blacks there ... things have gotten slightly better but Dallas is really big on family, church, and work .... far from a fun/social/eclectic energy city like ATL.

Why does LSA think Atlanta is peak civilization? Maybe I've just spent too much time there over the years through childhood and as an adult, but she doesn't give what y'all swear she's supposed to gave.

linc2021

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
9,030 226 113
Alleybux
It's easy to get into a comfortable rut and do the same things with the same sorts of people. Sometimes boring means the same thing as comfortable. My city is kind of lame, but I've lived a bunch of places and basically had the same kind of routine.

S O S Y E

Quote me if you want to, I promise you Ioncurr
Reaction score
Reactions
299,787 6,707 1,091
Alleybux
It's all relative.

As someone who has lived in Boston, I can say it’s boring. I feel like all Black people in Boston say it’s boring. White people think it’s the most exciting place on Earth haha

S O S Y E

Quote me if you want to, I promise you Ioncurr
Reaction score
Reactions
299,787 6,707 1,091
Alleybux
I think it may be more appropriate for more people to say “I’m bored with my city” than “my city is boring.” Some places are just boring, but some places may just not be your scene.

I’m from Miami, but every single time I go home I get bored so quick. There’s nothing boring about Miami, it’s just tired to me.

UPS Guy

I was here
Reaction score
Reactions
91,289 4,097 4,038
Alleybux
=

Why does LSA think Atlanta is peak civilization? Maybe I've just spent too much time there over the years through childhood and as an adult, but she doesn't give what y'all swear she's supposed to gave.

That font is just happy to be around a bunch of black people regardless of what it's giving.

He swears Dallas and Houston ain't black enough, but they both have two of the largest black populations in the country and right after Atlanta has the largest net migration of black people and black business.

You're not going to get much blackier and wealthier than Atlanta, DC, NYC, Houston and Dallas.

Greenskye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,533 2,071 846
Alleybux
As an Atlanta native who has lived in many cities across this America, I can attest it's everything OP posted. It surprises me that transplants think Atlanta is a fun, exciting city when basically it's just our culture...but other cities can be "Atlanta's" across America. I'm living close to the Midwest now and I can say, it's boring here because people aren't as welcoming to transplants and people who think or look differently than they are. They would rather gossip and spread rumors for their personal entertainment, cliquish behavior. There's things everywhere to do in any city America. But, it depends on your company what makes it worthwhile.

Greenskye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,533 2,071 846
Alleybux
As an Atlanta native who has lived in many cities across this America, I can attest it's everything OP posted. It surprises me that transplants think Atlanta is a fun, exciting city when basically it's just our culture...but other cities can be "Atlanta's" across America. I'm living close to the Midwest now and I can say, it's boring here because people aren't as welcoming to transplants and people who think or look differently than they are. They would rather gossip and spread rumors for their personal entertainment, cliquish behavior. There's things everywhere to do in any city America. But, it depends on your company what makes it worthwhile.

Inquistive_1314

I’ll be up, up, and away
Reaction score
Reactions
11,543 174 101
Alleybux
I feel you. That's my point tho. Boredom is a necessity of fun. An area may not have the things you'd typically find interesting, BUT you should be willing to step outside your box and try something different. That's how you evolve and grow. Hell, you may not even know you like a certain activity until you try it.
True, but I’m tired of congregating in majority white areas! It’s exhausting and I always end up feeling like the odd one out with folks asking dumb ass questions. I’m all for trying new things, but just as a whole, I’m tired of white folks man

Inquistive_1314

I’ll be up, up, and away
Reaction score
Reactions
11,543 174 101
Alleybux
Ding ding! That’s the dilemma I am experiencing while living in the Midwest!!!! Folks are not warm and welcoming, folks pre judge you, folks are rude as hell, and racist as hell (like try to play nice but really do not like folks that look like you), ignorant as hell, ask dumb sh!t about “Blacks, oops I mean African-Americans”, it just sucks! There’s no warmth here!!!

EbonyEmpress

I don’t do drama...I’ll read about it though
Reaction score
Reactions
2,374 2 2
Alleybux
I think it’s just not a good fit for them.

ModernThot

Ninja Turtle Penguin Batman *** B!tch
Reaction score
Reactions
19,816 143 16
Alleybux
Some cities just aren’t the best for certain types of people. I bet an all night party, club person in Miami might find Denver boring because it doesn’t have the same scene. Whereas someone who hates the club, beaches, and hot weather might prefer Denver.

I used to live ins San Antonio and now live in Los Angeles. I always found SA lacking in things that more cosmopolitan cities have and that is true, those cities have better access to certain things. The major problem I had with SA was that it was very cliquey. It’s just not easy to make new friends there. People get their own group and stay with them for years, and those people only. I’m sure if you are lucky enough to find the right group, it can be kind of fun.

In LA I never had that problem. I just easily made friends. Maybe because there were a bunch of new and lost people like me or something. And I don’t do anything that different here than I did in sa. Yeah sometimes there’s the beach being close by but other than that I eat, do some hobbies, go to work (pre pandemic) like I would anywhere else.

beautifulmay

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,504 728 214
Alleybux
Boring is synonymous to comfortable. I live in LA (and yes there’s fhousdands of things to do) but I find myself wanting to move sometimes to experience some “newness”.

I agree with fonts who say you’ll get into a comfortable rut. It’s crazy how 2 people can live completely different lives in the same city. Really just depends on what you’re exposed to.

TheLetterD

Fourth Letter of the Alphabet
Reaction score
Reactions
212,083 2,200 476
Alleybux
Charlotte native. I mean...it’s a fine city depending on what your interest are. There’s a lack of culture here, which is the issue. I still find ways to have fun, because I’m a simple man. My idea of a good time is going to a bar, a brewery, a restaurant, shopping mall, or to the park. There are plenty of those around Charlotte. I used to attend parties pre-Covid. But as a native, I definitely want a change of scenery. It’s getting to the point where I’d think moving to one of the surrounding suburbs is a “change of scenery,” only because I’ve lived here for majority of my life. Luckily I’m not too hard to please, but I do just want a new environment.

sexyenergy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,951 288 40
Alleybux
Charlotte native. I mean...it’s a fine city depending on what your interest are. There’s a lack of culture here, which is the issue. I still find ways to have fun, because I’m a simple man. My idea of a good time is going to a bar, a brewery, a restaurant, shopping mall, or to the park. There are plenty of those around Charlotte. I used to attend parties pre-Covid. But as a native, I definitely want a change of scenery. It’s getting to the point where I’d think moving to one of the surrounding suburbs is a “change of scenery,” only because I’ve lived here for majority of my life. Luckily I’m not too hard to please, but I do just want a new environment.

Interesting. My bf favorite city in the world is Charlotte. I understand as a native you may have a different perspective. I wonder what you mean by lack of culture?

Last edited:

TheLetterD

Fourth Letter of the Alphabet
Reaction score
Reactions
212,083 2,200 476
Alleybux
Interesting. My bf favorite city in the world is Charlotte. I understand as a native you may have a different perspective. I wonder what you mean by lack of culture?
Charlotte feels generic compared to most major cities. There’s really nothing that makes it stand out, if that makes sense. Like, when you think of major cities like NYC, LA, Houston, Atlanta, Las Vegas, etc., you automatically know what those cities are known for culturally. When Charlotte comes up, it’s culturally known for nothing, just that it’s a good city to raise a family and how fast growing it is.

Last edited:

LustNLuxury

Afro-American Princess <3
Reaction score
Reactions
497,548 11,247 1,828
Alleybux
I agree, OP.
There’s nothing wrong with places getting stale or even finding a city or two boring, but if every city and every one is boring to you, the problem just might be you at this point.

Shhhhhhhhhhh

good things in due time
Reaction score
Reactions
30,859 965 261
Alleybux

You hit the nail on the head! I’m also a Charlotte native.

sexyenergy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,951 288 40
Alleybux
Charlotte feels generic compared to most major cities. There’s really nothing that makes it stand out, if that makes sense. Like, when you think of major cities like NYC, LA, Houston, Atlanta, Las Vegas, etc., you automatically know what those cities are known for culturally. When Charlotte comes up, it’s culturally known for nothing, just that it’s a good city to raise a family and how fast growing it is.

Explained perfectly!

beatrixkiddo1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,389 2,302 906
Alleybux
It's all relative.

But you can easily find pockets that are not catered to ~eurocentric culture if you look.

We have tons of historical black cultural spots, black neighborhoods, black events. But most come here sit in fenway, cambridge or some suburb and just whine and whine about it.

I'm not saying the city is the be all end all (it's small and cold and insular) but I've met people who claim to not see Black ppl or there's nothing to do and it just tells me they are lazy and refuse to look for the culture they are apparently so desperate to find..

beatrixkiddo1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
111,389 2,302 906
Alleybux
North America with the exception of a few cities is just boring in general.

Again boring is as boring does lol. A city can't make you fun.

I find that most people that complain about boringness just aren't where they want to be and that it's mental.

We usually have somewhere in our mind that we place on a pedestal. And then if we get there we're more excited and open to the experiences of that place.

But unless you want to be in the epicenter of entertainment (NY/LA....maybe atlanta if you stretch) most large major cities, in general, are going to offer similar stuff.

Even internationally, I'm sure there are Parisians who are like "it's sooo boring" while someone somewhere else is idolizing it.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,982 164 324
Alleybux
I felt like atlanta was boring at first then I realized I was boring because I stayed inside the house all day lol