Quantcast

It’s time to stop laughing at Nigerian scammers — because they’re stealing billions of dollars

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,072 45,106 6,437
Alleybux
By this point, savvy people know it’s a bad idea to trust an email from a Nigerian prince hoping to use their bank account to unload a dead relative’s vast wealth.

And they’re just as suspicious of the sudden Internet-based love interest with questionable grammar who needs a few thousand untraceable dollars to clear up a passport issue in time for a magical first date.

But in a sophisticated and terrifying evolution of the Nigerian 419 scam, web-savvy crime syndicates are figuring out ways to bilk U.S. citizens of billions.

On Monday, the FBI announced the arrest of 74 people across the world — including 29 people in Nigeria and 41 in the United States — who authorities say were part of complex international networks that combed filings by the Securities and Exchange Commission, spoofed CEO emails and successfully targeted even hardened employees whose jobs are to safeguard their companies from financial mismanagement.

The recent scams have the same DNA as the poorly worded emails that have been showing up in people’s inboxes since the 1990s. Instead of playing on hopes of finding love or lust for sudden wealth, they play on fears about missing a vital company payment or upsetting a boss’s boss.

“[Scammers] are doing their research … going onto company websites and looking for the right people,” FBI Assistant Director Scott Smith, who helped lead the investigation, told the Wall Street Journal. “They may even go as far as pulling annual reports and finding what companies they do business with and [impersonating] those accounts.”

Adeyemi Odufuye and his team, for example, sifted SEC records, company websites and other business documents, looking for the names and email addresses of chief executives, chief financial officers and controllers, court documents say.

Odufuye, who had a half dozen nicknames, including “Jefe,” the Spanish word for “chief” or “boss,” led a crew responsible for stealing $2.6 million, including $440,000 from one business in Connecticut, according to the Justice Department.

The schemes used a variety of tactics to gain people’s trust and steal their money, federal authorities say. They registered website domain names that were hard to distinguish from the companies they were targeting — impersonations meant to give emails an air of authenticity. Some of those emails arrived with malware attachments that would snap images of a victim’s desktop or transmit key log information — a hacker trick for nabbing someone’s password.

They even employed money mules whose sole purpose was to move the ill-gotten gains from account to account, authorities say, disguising the electronic paper trail from investigators.

Odufuye was extradited from Britain on Jan. 3. He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of aggravated identity theft.

The arrests highlighted just how many people are falling for the latest iterations of the Nigerian hustle, as well as the staggering losses American businesses are accruing. According to FBI figures obtained by the Journal, victims of such scams reported $275 million in losses in 2015. By 2017, reported losses had more than doubled, to $675 million. And in the first quarter of this year, more than 4,000 victims reported $685 million in losses. The bureau estimates American businesses have lost more than $3.7 billion as a result of the schemes.

Since January 2015, the FBI estimated last year, there has been a 1,300 percent increase in identified exposed losses from similar scams. On Monday, the FBI issued a public service announcement about the scams.

Last year, FBI Special Agent Martin Licciardo, an organized crime investigator, said such crimes are “a serious threat on a global scale. The ability of these criminal groups to compromise legitimate business email accounts is staggering. … They are experts at deception.”

Scammers target businesses of all sizes, sometimes spending months studying a company’s organizational chart, the FBI said. They target people who frequently transfer large amounts of money and sensitive records in the course of business. They impersonate executives, human relations staff, law firms and trusted vendors. They usually insist that whatever bogus issue they’ve raised be cleared up as soon as possible, often by an immediate wire transfer. Discretion is often advised.

The pair is awaiting trial after being accused of laundering $665,000 in illicit funds, according to the Justice Department.

Before the attorney’s deposit, court documents say, the only cash in the account was the $100 required to start it.

It’s time to stop laughing at Nigerian scammers — because they’re stealing billions of dollars

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,499 8,879 11,234
Alleybux
Sanction the banks that facilitate the transfers. That is how all elicit trade needs to be attacked. For every drug cartel there is a HSBC helping them launder the money. Same with scammers.

i mean i guess

and what about it?
Reaction score
Reactions
5,686 77 34
Alleybux
And the Nigerian president was trying to help other countries with corruption... chaai you no be serious

TASTYEE

THE MOST DELICIOUS
Reaction score
Reactions
64,410 914 346
Alleybux
White Western countries steal from underdeveloped nations, but of course they never call it scamming.

They are taking back all the billions stolen during colonial era AND in this current era with fake anti-poverty initiatives while keeping all the money in their pockets. If that's not scamming I don't know what is.

And some of them aren't even Nigerian, they are European but use black face to do their scam.

Last edited:

LaDela

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,809 1,511 938
Alleybux
The victims could very well consist of African Americans and for that, I hope they suffer. I doubt they care about the race of the people they steal from so good luck with white folks justice.
View attachment 327254

YekheeBabe

Don't be unfortunate.
Reaction score
Reactions
18,175 354 87
Alleybux

FOR. SLAVERY.....#REPARATIONS

200.gif

YekheeBabe

Don't be unfortunate.
Reaction score
Reactions
18,175 354 87
Alleybux
The victims could very well consist of African Americans and for that, I hope they suffer. I doubt they care about the race of the people they steal from so good luck with white folks justice.
View attachment 327254

First of all, African Americans are not dumb enough to fall for their sh!t.

How you gonna believe a prince in Nigeria wants you to hold money for them? HOW SWAY?!

It's greed that causes people to fall for sh!t. Mostly oyibo people!

LaDela

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,809 1,511 938
Alleybux
First of all, African Americans are not dumb enough to fall for their sh!t.

How you gonna believe a prince in Nigeria wants you to hold money for them? HOW SWAY?!

It's greed that causes people to fall for sh!t. Mostly oyibo people!

Chile, not all black folks are wrapped tight. Even I can admit that.

SnipYoFlap

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,112 1,803 1,187
Alleybux
Yes I considered it, but I doubt it.

Wait wait wayment..... have you seen that episode of Dr. Phil where that black female was with her two daughters talking about she was marrying Tyler Perry?

she was being scammed and her two daughters were trying to talk her out of sending money overseas?

That woman truly felt she was sending Tyler money, he was her husband and his son was hers also.

that women was bonkers. and felt bad for her. talking about she was waiting for Tyler to walk in faith with her. what does that even mean?

Last edited:

sophiasofi

For half a minute there wasn't a sound.
Reaction score
Reactions
333,245 12,152 6,801
Alleybux
Chile, not all black folks are wrapped tight. Even I can admit that.

Yes...AAs fall for scams too. It's not true that we are immune.

My little cousin almost got scammed by one of these schemes acting like you would be hired as a "shipping manager"...

Thank goodness we found out before documents were sent in but YES....AAs are not immune from the VARIOUS schemes these people come up with!

EatCake

Black American Princess. Magnificently Nervy!
Reaction score
Reactions
58,411 3,029 2,975
Alleybux

Wait wait wayment..... have you seen that episode of Dr. Phil where that black female was with her two daughters talking about she was marrying Tyler Perry?

she was being scammed and her two daughters were trying to talk her out of sending money overseas?

That woman truly felt she was sending Tyler money, he was her husband and his son was hers also.

that women was bonkers. and felt bad for her. talking about she was waiting for Tyler to walk in faith with her. what does that even mean?

Ok that was one delusional women with mental health issues.

We’re talking about business and phones wire transfers.

Do you have any proof of African American women being victims of these particular scams?

EatCake

Reaction score
Reactions
58,411 3,029 2,975
Alleybux

My little cousin almost got scammed by one of these schemes acting like you would be hired as a "shipping manager"...

Thank goodness we found out before documents were sent in but YES....AAs are not immune from the VARIOUS schemes these people come up with!
These people tried to scam my cousin out of a car.
Some bµllsh!t about it being docked at an Ebay warehouse and the payment being sent through Walmart to Walmart.
Luckily she wasn’t gullible enough to think Ebay had warehouses or that they would accept Walmart payments.
Or else she’d have been out of $1500

Last edited:

Afrohemian

Growing and Glowing.
Reaction score
Reactions
17,168 847 551
Alleybux
The banks and especially Western Union don't care. The few people who still use checks out here should have to cash them IN PERSON, not mobile or in an ATM. Out of country wire transfers should have more restrictions and questions the first time. Sale sites like Craigslist and eBay should have more moderaters to ban blatant scam posts and replies.

Afrohemian

Growing and Glowing.
Reaction score
Reactions
17,168 847 551
Alleybux
And they do need 2 stop calling it Nigerian scams..IG "flip money" and plugs do the same shxt

Depoze Konpa

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
166,098 9,403 8,044
Alleybux
LOL. They are freaking geniuses. Imagine all that brainpower at work alongside a functioning government...

Juny.B.Jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
289,366 8,018 6,613
Alleybux
These people tried to scam my cousin out of a car.
Some bµllsh!t about it being docked at an Evay warehouse and the payment being sent through Walmart to Walmart.
Luckily she was gullible enough to think Evay had warehouses or that they would accept Walmart payments.
Or else she’d have been out of $1500
This is common with amazon payments and people sending amazon gcs to purchase a car. I’ve seen people lose thousands

LaMochaCoca

Make 'Em Go Loca
Reaction score
Reactions
213,028 8,888 9,719
Alleybux
White Western countries steal from underdeveloped nations, but of course they never call it scamming.

They are taking back all the billions stolen during colonial era AND in this current era with fake anti-poverty initiatives while keeping all the money in their pockets. If that's not scamming I don't know what is.

And some of them aren't even Nigerian, they are European but use black face to do their scam.
Nigeria isn't even in the top 5 scamming countries. Russia is like #1. But anything Black Africans/Nigerians do is considered 100x worse.

Nulli

Gold.
Reaction score
Reactions
87,650 1,806 867
Alleybux
How does this affect African American women? What are we losing when they steal?

Black women lose when they aren’t dating Nigerian men and getting the money to pay off student loans or house down payments.

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Church is a scam paying all that money to pray

They won’t get mad at that though.

EatCake

Reaction score
Reactions
58,411 3,029 2,975
Alleybux
And they do need 2 stop calling it Nigerian scams..IG "flip money" and plugs do the same shxt
These People are African though and ultimately they are sending this money back to Nigeria. Hence it being considered a major crime.

They don’t target American scammers as heavily unless they are too big for their britches and act reckless because ultimately that money is fueling the American economy.

TASTYEE

THE MOST DELICIOUS
Reaction score
Reactions
64,410 914 346
Alleybux
Nigeria isn't even in the top 5 scamming countries. Russia is like #1. But anything Black Africans/Nigerians do is considered 100x worse.

Right! They do the same thing here when it comes to immigration and migrant issues.

They will close their eyes and look the other way why illegal immigrant from India, middle East and Asian countries come in drove and gaining employment that are reserve for citizens.

But let a few African come in, and they will act like it's the entire continent running and breaking the borders to come in. That's why I stopped giving a damn. Their Anti-blackness and hypocrisy is astounding.

Judge Judy

Afrochic
Reaction score
Reactions
10,087 248 21
Alleybux
I used to think this was funny, until my grandpa got conned out of over $10,000 because he had Alzheimer's. They really do prey on the vulnerable and it's horrible.

SupaHotFire

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,021 741 1,191
Alleybux
The banks can do a better job at catching this.

And the Nigerian president was trying to help other countries with corruption... chaai you no be serious

These People are African though and ultimately they are sending this money back to Nigeria. Hence it being considered a major crime.

They don’t target American scammers as heavily unless they are too big for their britches and act reckless because ultimately that money is fueling the American economy.

Ya'll better let us scam in peace....shiiiiid

afaadfbc-6832-11e5-a57f-21b88f7d973f

353.jpg

2.jpg

107220-63e4c5cf2ecc857acb65f2edf3fdee88.jpg

398B410900000578-3855038-image-a-8_1476960498000.jpg

spray-the-money.jpg