Quantcast

Itchy Scalp Problems and Solutions

CherryFlower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,875 5,808 4,636
Alleybux
Natural hair ladies of lsa, what do you do to resolve itchy scalp issues? I have a few questions.

***. What causes it?????
1. What helps to cure it?
2. Is it ongoing or short term itchy scalp?
3. How often do you wash your hair?
4. Do you have dandruff, psoriasis, or any other scalp ailment?
5. Do you have flakes?
6. Loose or locs?

I definitely have always had a sensitive scalp that needs to be clarified regularly, even when I had permed hair as a child. I have been natural for 8 years though, and even then I still have itchy scalp issues.

Causes: needing to wash my hair, excess yeast and sebum
1. Washing my hair and acv
2. ongoing, worse in the summer
3. 1-3 times a week
4. I'm not sure
5. Natural amount of flakes
6. Locs

My situation is not so bad that I have visible, noticeable flakes or problems. However, in the summer especially, if I don't stay on top of my scalp's health, the itching can get so bad that I notice that I scratch my scalp to the point of pain and sore spots. Scratching my scalp even becomes a nervous, subconscious habit during those times because it is like constantly itching when it gets bad.

Anyway, what about you?

Leapfrog

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,387 2,259 1,935
Alleybux
Washing your hair with Dr Bonner's Tea Tree Oil soap may help.

Then again it may damage your hair if it's chemically treated or something so keep that in mind. Plus...if you get it in your eyes, I cannot help you. It will hurt.

AllLashes

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
180,021 3,953 397
Alleybux
tea tree oil has always helped me w/maintaining an itch free scalp. I love its anti bacterial properties. When I get an itch on my scalp, I put it in a squirt bottle and it feels sooo good, sometimes I put it in the fridge during the summer months.

no flakes or soreness, I even put it in my conditioner.
I also want to try using rosemary oil w/another oil mixed.

during the summer months, I just squirt it on my scalp after a wash n cond. while wet and wear an updo. 2 days later my scalp looks like there has been nothing on it--repeat.

Miss Brave

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,579 12 4
Alleybux
I had dermatitis seborrhea from stress. The only thing that allowed me to stop using medicated shampoo and other expensive products was coconut oil. Put on my scalp and behind my ears every time I washed my hair. One day, a few months later, I noticed no more sores and itching but I also noticed no more dandruff. Depending on your hair type coconut oil may weigh it down but it works for my scalp.

ACV rinse didn't work for me and tea tree oil was temporary. But Tea Tree works wonders for a lot of women.

itgurl_29

A Girl About Town
Reaction score
Reactions
180,248 7,577 8,990
Alleybux
I had this problem some years back. When I used to wear wash and goes and puffs, my hair would never get completely dry. So I assume all that moisture on my scalp all day caused some kind of yeast overgrowth. I was getting bad greasy scales at the top of my head. Just really gross. So I started blow drying every week. I got rid of the nasty flaky scalp in a week. I stopped using regular products and washed with a homemade bentonite clay shampoo. Then I did an apple cider vinegar rise. And then I blowdried my hair. Then I saturated my scalp with oil every night, alternating between coconut oil and wild growth oil. I made a point to NOT pick at my scalp that whole week. By the time the week was up and it was time to wash my hair again, the scales started to just turn into regular dandruff and then the scalp was totally healed under that.

Quiet as it's kept, I think a lot of naturals have this problem because it's not good for the scalp to walk around with wet hair all day. The natural community is so anti-heat, but fails to take into account that many black women have very dense hair, which means it can take a long time for the hair and scalp to dry.

I'm convinced I had dermatitis because of the unstretched wash and go natural styles I was wearing, because I'd never had any type of scalp issue before that.

Hellobaby98

City of Love
Reaction score
Reactions
32,703 1,318 767
Alleybux
Natural hair ladies of lsa, what do you do to resolve itchy scalp issues? I have a few questions.

***. What causes it?????
1. What helps to cure it?
2. Is it ongoing or short term itchy scalp?
3. How often do you wash your hair?
4. Do you have dandruff, psoriasis, or any other scalp ailment?
5. Do you have flakes?
6. Loose or locs?

I definitely have always had a sensitive scalp that needs to be clarified regularly, even when I had permed hair as a child. I have been natural for 8 years though, and even then I still have itchy scalp issues.

Causes: needing to wash my hair, excess yeast and sebum
1. Washing my hair and acv
2. ongoing, worse in the summer
3. 1-3 times a week
4. I'm not sure
5. Natural amount of flakes
6. Locs

My situation is not so bad that I have visible, noticeable flakes or problems. However, in the summer especially, if I don't stay on top of my scalp's health, the itching can get so bad that I notice that I scratch my scalp to the point of pain and sore spots. Scratching my scalp even because a nervous, subconscious habit during those times because it is like constantly itching when it gets bad.

Anyway, what about you?

i have the same issue. acv really helps.

CherryFlower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,875 5,808 4,636
Alleybux
I had this problem some years back. When I used to wear wash and goes and puffs, my hair would never get completely dry. So I assume all that moisture on my scalp all day caused some kind of yeast overgrowth. I was getting bad greasy scales at the top of my head. Just really gross. So I started blow drying every week. I got rid of the nasty flaky scalp in a week. I stopped using regular products and washed with a homemade bentonite clay shampoo. Then I did an apple cider vinegar rise. And then I blowdried my hair. Then I saturated my scalp with oil every night, alternating between coconut oil and wild growth oil. I made a point to NOT pick at my scalp that whole week. By the time the week was up and it was time to wash my hair again, the scales started to just turn into regular dandruff and then the scalp was totally healed under that.

Quiet as it's kept, I think a lot of naturals have this problem because it's not good for the scalp to walk around with wet hair all day. The natural community is so anti-heat, but fails to take into account that many black women have very dense hair, which means it can take a long time for the hair and scalp to dry.

I'm convinced I had dermatitis because of the unstretched wash and go natural styles I was wearing, because I'd never had any type of scalp issue before that.

This is really good advice, and it is something I have not really thought of as being a problem before. I will give it a shot to lightly blow dry the root area. I definitely have dense hair that takes a bit to dry unless I go outside in the sun.

ETA: Also it is funny because my *worst* spot is the crown of my head. It seems to have the most clogged pores or yeast. It itches way worse than any other part. The next most itchy part is the nape, where I'm assuming a lot of oils collect on the hair. I would try your regimen except for the oil part because I cannot get away with oil unless it is a cold winter season. Even putting regular oils from my fingers (aka touching my hair too much) causes me to have itchy more than if I avoid touching my scalp with my hands. It is a tough issue to solve. Lately I just use jbco over night for the growth benefits and shampoo the following day.

CherryFlower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,875 5,808 4,636
Alleybux
i have the same issue. acv really helps.

Yup acv really heals my scalp. I literally just had to wash my hair again, after having done it on Friday or Saturday. I know it is crazy hot and humid here, but damn. At this rate, I'll need to wash my hair daily with acv because my scalp can barely last three days without shampoo and acv.

itgurl_29

A Girl About Town
Reaction score
Reactions
180,248 7,577 8,990
Alleybux
This is really good advice, and it is something I have not really thought of as being a problem before. I will give it a shot to lightly blow dry the root area. I definitely had dense hair that takes a bit to dry unless I go outside in the sun.

I would wash my hair in the morning, put it in a puff or a wash and go, and by the time I got home at night, the roots would still be damp. I'm pretty much 100 percent certain that the constant dampness of my scalp was the culprit in my bout with dermatitis. I had it for a few months. I'd do the ACV rinse and my scalp would feel ok for a day or two, but then the scales would start coming back. It wasn't until I started blow drying my hair immediately after washing that it cleared up. I haven't had a problem since. That was maybe 5 years ago.

mrsmw

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,849 445 92
Alleybux
If you use oils mix in some emu oil. I cannot stress my love for this oil enough. It penetrates 7 layers deep and will drag down with it whatever else you mix in. I do half emu and jojoba with tea tree essential oil in a 3oz dropper bottle. I put a bit on my fingers and massage my scalp. If you are the only one using it you can drop it straight on your scalp but not too much. My scalp gets itchy when its really hot out and I think it's just the extreme heat.

itgurl_29

A Girl About Town
Reaction score
Reactions
180,248 7,577 8,990
Alleybux
This is really good advice, and it is something I have not really thought of as being a problem before. I will give it a shot to lightly blow dry the root area. I definitely have dense hair that takes a bit to dry unless I go outside in the sun.

ETA: Also it is funny because my *worst* spot is the crown of my head. It seems to have the most clogged pores or yeast. It itches way worse than any other part. The next most itchy part is the nape, where I'm assuming a lot of oils collect on the hair. I would try your regimen except for the oil part because I cannot get away with oil unless it is a cold winter season. Even putting regular oils from my fingers (aka touching my hair too much) causes me to have itchy more than if I avoid touching my scalp with my hands. It is a tough issue to solve. Lately I just use jbco over night for the growth benefits and shampoo the following day.

The purpose of the oils is to heal the scalp. My scalp was itching like crazy, but I didn't touch it. The oils healed my scalp under the scales by the time the week was up. Coconut oil works well because it has anti-fungal properties.

ETA: I think there might be two types of dermatitis. I have no scientific research to back this up, but I think there may be something like contact dermatitis and another type that's based on internal factors, like having candida or something like that. I think I had "contact" dermatitis, based solely on what was going on outside of my body, the damp scalp. If this is your case, my regimine should work for you. If it doesn't, you probably have dermatitis based on your body chemistry. Again, I'm not a doctor but I'm just brainstorming. I know many, many people have dermatitis that lasts for years and years and they have to manage it forever. I had one bout years ago and it's never come back. I see a LOT of naturals complaining about this scalp issue and I think many of them are getting this because of a damp scalp, not because of internal health issues.

CherryFlower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,875 5,808 4,636
Alleybux
The purpose of the oils is to heal the scalp. My scalp was itching like crazy, but I didn't touch it. The oils healed my scalp under the scales by the time the week was up. Coconut oil works well because it has anti-fungal properties.

ETA: I think there might be two types of dermatitis. I have no scientific research to back this up, but I think there may be something like contact dermatitis and another type that's based on internal factors, like having candida or something like that. I think I had "contact" dermatitis, based solely on what was going on outside of my body, the damp scalp. If this is your case, my regimine should work for you. If it doesn't, you probably have dermatitis based on your body chemistry. Again, I'm not a doctor but I'm just brainstorming. I know many, many people have dermatitis that lasts for years and years and they have to manage it forever. I had one bout years ago and it's never come back. I see a LOT of naturals complaining about this scalp issue and I think many of them are getting this because of a damp scalp, not because of internal health issues.

I really think you are on to something here. What is the name of the game for naturals? MOISTURE. We learn very on to never let our hair get dry, but it can definitely cause scalp problems like you said. I am going to try your method and use a tiny bit of oil to help heal. I did have to wash my hair again today, and 3 hours later, it was still damp at the roots! Mind you, I have locs, but my locs dry faster than my afro ever did. I think the shrinkage prevents the roots from drying, which is even worsended by too much hydrating hair products. This would make sense as to why my scalp is worse in the hot, humid summer. The air is not stripping moisture from my hair at the root, unlike the winter that sucks out all moisture.

So yeah I blow dryed my hair and massaged jbco through my scalp. I did wet my hair daily, but I will avoid too much moisture for the next few days and see how it goes.

itgurl_29

A Girl About Town
Reaction score
Reactions
180,248 7,577 8,990
Alleybux
I really think you are on to something here. What is the name of the game for naturals? MOISTURE. We learn very on to never let our hair get dry, but it can definitely cause scalp problems like you said. I am going to try your method and use a tiny bit of oil to help heal. I did have to wash my hair again today, and 3 hours later, it was still damp at the roots! Mind you, I have locs, but my locs dry faster than my afro ever did. I think the shrinkage prevents the roots from drying, which is even worsended by too much hydrating hair products. This would make sense as to why my scalp is worse in the hot, humid summer. The air is not stripping moisture from my hair at the root, unlike the winter that sucks out all moisture.

So yeah I blow dryed my hair and massaged jbco through my scalp. I did wet my hair daily, but I will avoid too much moisture for the next few days and see how it goes.

Keep your scalp bone dry and oiled for at least a week. It should clear up if it's it's a fungus based on moisture. If not, you probably have candida and should see a doctor.

CherryFlower

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,875 5,808 4,636
Alleybux
Keep your scalp bone dry and oiled for at least a week. It should clear up if it's it's a fungus based on moisture. If not, you probably have candida and should see a doctor.

Girl I think you solved the 8th wonder of the world!! I followed your method exactly and not once have I even had the urge to scratch my scalp today. I am pretty surprised, but I will give it a few more days to see how things go. I am so glad you posted yesterday. I really believe now that my itchy scalp was due to excess yeast growth caused by too much moisture in the scalp/wet roots.

itgurl_29

A Girl About Town
Reaction score
Reactions
180,248 7,577 8,990
Alleybux
Girl I think you solved the 8th wonder of the world!! I followed your method exactly and not once have I even had the urge to scratch my scalp today. I am pretty surprised, but I will give it a few more days to see how things go. I am so glad you posted yesterday. I really believe now that my itchy scalp was due to excess yeast growth caused by too much moisture in the scalp/wet roots.

Awesome!! It'll likely get itchier as the week goes on and the scales dry up. Just be sure not to pick at them because that will stop the scalp from healing. Stop oiling the scalp the day before you wash you hair so your scalp can get nice and dried out. You can then pick off the dry dandruff and wash your hair.

Hellobaby98

City of Love
Reaction score
Reactions
32,703 1,318 767
Alleybux
Yup acv really heals my scalp. I literally just had to wash my hair again, after having done it on Friday or Saturday. I know it is crazy hot and humid here, but damn. At this rate, I'll need to wash my hair daily with acv because my scalp can barely last three days without shampoo and acv.

I gotta acv my scalp before I get my braids done.

IrisOsiris

Last friday night
Reaction score
Reactions
101,862 3,302 3,198
Alleybux
i just have itchy scalp these days. but i noticed that getting into a routine where i wash my hair frequently exacerbates it; it's like my scalp comes to expect getting "watered" on the regular, and then shows out if i miss a watering appointment lol
the other thing is product buildup on my scalp. even if i don't directly put anything on my scalp, it'll still show out because inevitably what's on my hair will end up on my scalp anyway. it all slides back up the shaft, i swear;

the other thing is cowashing. and leaving in my conditioner. i cut out cowashing almost altogether, and now use shampoo with at least every other wash. i wash my hair about twice a week.
and i used to leave my conditioner in because my hair would always look fabulous with it that way, but my scalp was a sore loser as a result of it. so i no longer use that. i now use gel and moisturizer in its place, and that's been a lot better for my itchiness.

hedonismbot

CirclejerkAnthropologist
Reaction score
Reactions
191 1 1
Alleybux
As another poster noted I think my issues were caused by having wet hair throughout the day. I'd run some water through my hair to get it into a bun, come home and that ish would still be wet in the middle.

I did a bit of research and was originally going to try Sulfur 8 but then found another product called Liquid Gold that has sulfur in it for "hair growth." I just needed the anti-fungal. It's been about two weeks now and holy crap my scalp is amazing now. No more flaking, no more scabs or oily scales.

I also had to get back into my routine of twisting my hair up so I'm not wetting my hair every day.

MsSunshine21

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,086 1,851 24
Alleybux
I had dermatitis seborrhea from stress. The only thing that allowed me to stop using medicated shampoo and other expensive products was coconut oil. Put on my scalp and behind my ears every time I washed my hair. One day, a few months later, I noticed no more sores and itching but I also noticed no more dandruff. Depending on your hair type coconut oil may weigh it down but it works for my scalp.

ACV rinse didn't work for me and tea tree oil was temporary. But Tea Tree works wonders for a lot of women.

I agree! Applying organic extra virgin coconut oil directly onto scalp and massaging and brushing through with tangle teaser the night before wash day works wonders. The oil can be very healing on the scalp and skin if you have eczema.

Glittergasm

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,682 75 28
Alleybux
I had a greasy, itchy scalp problem in exactly the same places (crown and nape).

I switched to The Body Shop's Ginger Scalp Care shampoo and that solved the problem. The itch only comes back if I go three weeks or so using a different shampoo (because this one is drying).

I think all the sebum that could be coating and moisturizing our strands gunks up on natural womens' scalps and causes this.

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom