Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,490 5,072 186
Alleybux
It's official! Apple iPhones are the best smartphone investment
By Usman Dawood 3 days ago

Report confirms that Apple iPhones retain their values better than competitor smartphone devices from Android

It's official! Apple iPhones are the best smartphone investment | Digital Camera World

eLoan7TgUAmE7orbbvhV25-1024-80.png.webp

Smartphones are probably some of the most expensive devices that we purchase regularly – especially the case if you upgrade every one to two years. However, if you want to get your hands on the best camera phone tech, but you're also a financially savvy consumer, then it's likely that you prefer to sell or trade-in your old phone to get your new one.

If this is the case, you might be interested to learn that a new report has declared that Apple is the best possible smartphone investment. This is because iPhones are apparently much better at retaining their value than a smartphone from any other brand.

A recent report from BlankMyCell confirms that cameras phones from Apple are much better at retaining their value when compared to equivalent Android phones, offering intriguing figures on how much the difference is between iOS and Android devices.

vHujJ6YYPHnTQqMbNhqKbN-970-80.png

In the chart above, we can see that iPhone devices that cost more than $700 are shown to lose less than 70% of their original value. However, Android devices of a similar value lose more than 80% when it comes to their initial buyback value.

Interestingly, is the amount that iPhones depreciate over the course of a year is less than half that of an equivalent Android device. Over the first year, iPhone's generally depreciate by about 16.7% whereas an Android device depreciates by 33.62% in the first year. This is compounded by the fact that flagship Android devices are similar in price to flagship iOS camera phones.

Based on this information, it seems that iOS devices offer better value for money when it comes time to upgrade devices.

If you plan on upgrading your camera phone regularly, it may be a better idea to invest in an iPhone rather an Android phone. Based on this report, camera phones such the iPhone 12 Pro will likely retain their initial value far better than an Android equivalent device will.

Winter

Muy Confuso
Reaction score
Reactions
196,825 9,357 4,310
Alleybux
That's all well and good but they're trash phones.

Seriously, I had a four year old iPhone given to me and I traded it in for $200 towards a new one. I don't care if it depreciates slowly. The phone could be worth $1k. Who cares if I don't like it? IMHO the iPhone is one of the most overrated phones out there. I got rid of my iPhone and my Apple Watch as soon as I could.

TheQueen

TheQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
42,224 1,435 224
Alleybux
I never trade in my phones to buy another phone. I just do my research and purchase the phone that I like.

MERVEILLEUSE

Encyclopedia Dramatica
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
713,673 11,263 4,454
Alleybux
I think a lot of this is due to the longterm support apple products have. A real issue with android devices is a lack of longterm support and updates. No support means a phone with a far shorter useful life. The reason why there are people still rocking iPhone 5's and even later is because those phones were able to receive the newest iOS for years after they were released.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,490 5,072 186
Alleybux
I think a lot of this is due to the longterm support apple products have. A real issue with android devices is a lack of longterm support and updates. No support means a phone with a far shorter useful life. The reason why there are people still rocking iPhone 5's and even later is because those phones were able to receive the newest iOS for years after they were released.
I agree and someone on youtube was saying that same things too.

Soul2Soul

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,912 2,179 529
Alleybux
which Iphone do you have, iphone SE or iphone 11 pro max or iphone 12 pro max?

Neither. My sister has/had two Iphones in a matter of three years with the same charging problems.

I have friends with the same issue.

I have Ipads was given to me, old but never used, and I was not able to use it. That was due to Apple making a 5-year-old product obsolete.

Juny.B.Jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
289,389 8,018 6,614
Alleybux
Neither. My sister has/had two Iphones in a matter of three years with the same charging problems.

I have Ipads was given to me, old but never used, and I was not able to use it. That was due to Apple making a 5-year-old product obsolete.
That’s because chargeable batteries only have a certain lifespan.
Are they using only Apple certified charges? Likely not
Are they draining the battery before charging?
Do they keep their phone on the charger when it’s fully charged? Etc

This goes for any device with rechargeable batteries.

Juny.B.Jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
289,389 8,018 6,614
Alleybux
That's all well and good but they're trash phones.

Seriously, I had a four year old iPhone given to me and I traded it in for $200 towards a new one. I don't care if it depreciates slowly. The phone could be worth $1k. Who cares if I don't like it? IMHO the iPhone is one of the most overrated phones out there. I got rid of my iPhone and my Apple Watch as soon as I could.
They are not trash. Just say you don’t like them.

FortunaPlus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,531 10,248 4,921
Alleybux
iOS and Apple is all in house. Vertical integration makes this easier to accomplish.

I could be slightly wrong, but I think they were sued a few years ago and can't do that anymore.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,490 5,072 186
Alleybux
iOS and Apple is all in house. Vertical integration makes this easier to accomplish.

I could be slightly wrong, but I think they were sued a few years ago and can't do that anymore.
I was wondering why are those ipads 5 years ago and have never been used when they are given to that person.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,490 5,072 186
Alleybux

A isha baby

Becoming who I'm supposed to be
Reaction score
Reactions
78,889 4,585 4,680
Alleybux
It's official! Apple iPhones are the best smartphone investment
By Usman Dawood 3 days ago

Report confirms that Apple iPhones retain their values better than competitor smartphone devices from Android

It's official! Apple iPhones are the best smartphone investment | Digital Camera World

eLoan7TgUAmE7orbbvhV25-1024-80.png.webp

Smartphones are probably some of the most expensive devices that we purchase regularly – especially the case if you upgrade every one to two years. However, if you want to get your hands on the best camera phone tech, but you're also a financially savvy consumer, then it's likely that you prefer to sell or trade-in your old phone to get your new one.

If this is the case, you might be interested to learn that a new report has declared that Apple is the best possible smartphone investment. This is because iPhones are apparently much better at retaining their value than a smartphone from any other brand.

A recent report from BlankMyCell confirms that cameras phones from Apple are much better at retaining their value when compared to equivalent Android phones, offering intriguing figures on how much the difference is between iOS and Android devices.

vHujJ6YYPHnTQqMbNhqKbN-970-80.png

In the chart above, we can see that iPhone devices that cost more than $700 are shown to lose less than 70% of their original value. However, Android devices of a similar value lose more than 80% when it comes to their initial buyback value.

Interestingly, is the amount that iPhones depreciate over the course of a year is less than half that of an equivalent Android device. Over the first year, iPhone's generally depreciate by about 16.7% whereas an Android device depreciates by 33.62% in the first year. This is compounded by the fact that flagship Android devices are similar in price to flagship iOS camera phones.

Based on this information, it seems that iOS devices offer better value for money when it comes time to upgrade devices.

If you plan on upgrading your camera phone regularly, it may be a better idea to invest in an iPhone rather an Android phone. Based on this report, camera phones such the iPhone 12 Pro will likely retain their initial value far better than an Android equivalent device will.
IPhones are trash! Team Android in the hizzouse!!

Last edited:

Soul2Soul

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,912 2,179 529
Alleybux
I was wondering why are those ipads 5 years ago and have never been used when they are given to that person.

Both were given to me. The 5-year-old new one and I got one from my job. Since I could no longer download the apps I wanted on my work Ipad, I didn't want to use it, even though it was new.

Flashforward, they both don't work. Well, they work, but they aren't capable of taking on the latest upgrade. Making them essentially useless.

Soul2Soul

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,912 2,179 529
Alleybux
That’s because chargeable batteries only have a certain lifespan.
Are they using only Apple certified charges? Likely not
Are they draining the battery before charging?
Do they keep their phone on the charger when it’s fully charged? Etc

This goes for any device with rechargeable batteries.

No, Apple was purposedly slowing and draining the batteries. This made the headlines. They were sued and then they wanted to charge their customers for the battery and or offer to sell them the latest phone.

LANEZ

Bougie lil’ bih so you know I got my nose up.
Reaction score
Reactions
144,762 6,578 7,110
Alleybux
I agree. Also with iPhones I’ve never had laggging/slow situation as I’ve had with androids over time. I can’t relate to some others that had battery problems either.

Bostonhello

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,490 5,072 186
Alleybux
I agree. Also with iPhones I’ve never had laggging/slow situation as I’ve had with androids over time. I can’t relate to some others that had battery problems either.
I had one battery problem put it was with an older phone e.g. iphone4s.

Juny.B.Jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
289,389 8,018 6,614
Alleybux
Both were given to me. The 5-year-old new one and I got one from my job. Since I could no longer download the apps I wanted on my work Ipad, I didn't want to use it, even though it was new.

Flashforward, they both don't work. Well, they work, but they aren't capable of taking on the latest upgrade. Making them essentially useless.
After a certain time they become obsolete

No, Apple was purposedly slowing and draining the batteries. This made the headlines. They were sued and then they wanted to charge their customers for the battery and or offer to sell them the latest phone.
That lawsuit was for older phones that were pretty much at the end of their life cycle. Not new phones.

mymoonmystars

Choose Love Over Fear
Reaction score
Reactions
68,914 989 246
Alleybux
How about retaining their ability to hold a charge?

All batteries are "born" with a certain lifespan. If I remember correctly, iPhone batteries can do like 500 full charging cycles before it starts to show its "age" (like not being able to charge to its full capacity). Batteries can also be replaced in lieu of throwing a bunch of money down on a new phone.

schneidz

1990's haitian bwoy frum somerville
Reaction score
Reactions
5,354 945 815
Alleybux
hmm,. its probably true but this chart is faulty:
they are comparing a specific brand with dozens (hundreds?) of others and jumping to the conclusion that apple is most valuable. the same or similar curves would come out if they included apple with the middle grouping and focused on galaxy or something.
not sure what the agenda is here ?

KComo

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
718 4 5
Alleybux
They retain there value because the next year later then release a even MORE expensive phone then the year before.

Samsung currently has the most expensive phones though for the past three years. They still hold their value much better.

Apple was the first to charge a grand, though, with the IPhone X.

schneidz

Reaction score
Reactions
5,354 945 815
Alleybux
^ technically, i think sony has the most expensive cellular telefone now:

Last edited:

JaxRhapsody

Rhapsodic Laviathan
Reaction score
Reactions
1,657 121 132
Alleybux
You couldn't pay me to take an iphone. Hell.. Apple is probably worser than google with the tracking and sh!t.

JaxRhapsody

Rhapsodic Laviathan
Reaction score
Reactions
1,657 121 132
Alleybux
It’s the opposite. Apple is known for their security. Peep the recent article about Tim Cook vs Facebook
You're right, and I commend them for that. Not what I'm talking about though. Apple themselves track phones and collects information... and for more than just personalized ads.

Harriet_Thugman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,537 1,743 286
Alleybux

Was she using official Apple accessories to charge her phone?

schneidz

Reaction score
Reactions
5,354 945 815
Alleybux
the graph in the o.p. still makes no sense. using expected value theorem, one cannot compare an element of a set to a matrix and then jump to sensible conclusions.

using the same logic, eventhough an enzo ferrari costs $2,500,000, since the average cost of all cars (except nissans) in the u.s.a. is like $25,000 that means a $27,000 nissan altima is more valuable.

one would have to use convolution to culminate the products comparing each member of a set; or, cross-correlation to obtain metrics like median, mean, mode, variance,... to make thoughtful premise.

Last edited: