Quantcast

Japanese/Korean Hair Straightening Thread

Evieasna

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Can I ask how you keep previously processed hair from touching the perm solution? Saran wrap/hair dye papers, or aluminum foil? I'm trying to get into doing my own hair but it's sooo difficult becuz of my big-ass head. :sob:

Also, do you find it difficult to make curls/waves into your straightened hair. I've heard a lot of people say it makes the hair dead straight to the point where they can't curl the hair anymore. I'm fine with having to do overnight, heatless braids, but I'd still like to curl it normally.
After initial wash for the process, I damp my hair, then I cover my ends with conditioner, as high up the hair lenght as possible to the new growth, for me, new growth is around 1.5 inches. I then use my thio relaxer mix on my new growth. It's trial and error, not perfect but good enough to not re process the already processed hair, too much.

No problem with making curls, but I normally just keep it straight to high or low bun it. But i do Bob curl to back and side of hanging hair. Front, I curl for what I plan to do. So fringe, or drop curl to side or backwards for hair band. But curl stays. I really don't relax my hair very very straight, I like some texture. I find the tongs makes my hair very straight. So I don't over do it with the relaxer. Hope that helps.

AngelJ

**** GANG GANG
Reaction score
Reactions
59,532 3,069 1,766
Alleybux
It's true that there isn't much out there by the way of solid information with visuals of long-term results and maintenance, but here are some videos/channels I watched when I was researching this treatment. Of course there are more videos out there but I've found that they are mostly old and/or inconsistent. Note: some use Japanese Straightening, others the Korean Magic Perm.

Youtubers

Salons/Stylists
I hope this is useful!

I was cringing at the 5th video when the girl was cutting her hair off. It would of been better if she went to a stylist to get her 1/2 inch to an 1inch trim off than to ruin her own hair and not know what she was doing cutting 5 to 6 inches off. It looks a mess.