Jermaine Dupri hopes Frank Ocean can save R&B:

Perfect Bitch

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
200,259 7,182 7,756
Alleybux
jd-ocean.jpg

Frank Ocean is winning praise from critics with his major-label debut channel ORANGE. But Jermaine Dupri hopes the album’s success has a larger impact on the entire genre of R&B. The So So Def CEO wrote a letter on his site Global 14 lauding the album and hoping that it sells 200,000 copies (HITS Daily Double estimates sales of 125-135,000 in its first week based on iTunes only).

According to the hitmaker, R&B is in a state of emergency and Ocean may just be the person to save it. “The record companies don’t believe in it, radio won’t play it if it don’t have a rapper, and a majority of the artist that are labeled RnB are confused and lost,” writes J.D.

He hopes channel ORANGE‘s success will send a wake-up call to label executives and get radio to play more R&B records.

Do you agree with J.D.? Read his open letter below.

When I saw the # that Frank Ocean is suppose to hit next week, I got extremely Happy,I said I need to get in my car and and listen to this album,by the time I got to “Sweet Life” I was even more happy,finally!! a RnB album that’s hip,with out having the same 5 rappers on every song,I actually hope he hits 200k,for the sake of RnB,it’s in the worst position it’s ever been since I started making music,The Record company’s don’t believe in it,Radio won’t play it if it don’t have a rapper,and a majority of the artist that are labeled RnB,are confused and lost,so I repeat,I hope Ocean sells more than the 125k that he’s on pace for,maybe these executives u’llwake the fµck up,or at least try to copy what he’s doing,like they always do, by the way,the end of “Pyramids” jammin like a mufucka.

Rap-Up.com || Jermaine Dupri Hopes Frank Ocean Can Save R&B

JCKeepitreal

Hey, Just Keeping It Real
Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
Nah, I don't like his music and his voice. You are not going to sucker me into buying his CD just so he'll appear to be the 1st successful openly gay artist.
We'll find our R&B icon but it won't be Frank Ocean.

Marlon12

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
42,762 94 18
Alleybux
jd-ocean.jpg

Frank Ocean is winning praise from critics with his major-label debut channel ORANGE. But Jermaine Dupri hopes the album’s success has a larger impact on the entire genre of R&B. The So So Def CEO wrote a letter on his site Global 14 lauding the album and hoping that it sells 200,000 copies (HITS Daily Double estimates sales of 125-135,000 in its first week based on iTunes only).

According to the hitmaker, R&B is in a state of emergency and Ocean may just be the person to save it. “The record companies don’t believe in it, radio won’t play it if it don’t have a rapper, and a majority of the artist that are labeled RnB are confused and lost,” writes J.D.

He hopes channel ORANGE‘s success will send a wake-up call to label executives and get radio to play more R&B records.

Do you agree with J.D.? Read his open letter below.

When I saw the # that Frank Ocean is suppose to hit next week, I got extremely Happy,I said I need to get in my car and and listen to this album,by the time I got to “Sweet Life” I was even more happy,finally!! a RnB album that’s hip,with out having the same 5 rappers on every song,I actually hope he hits 200k,for the sake of RnB,it’s in the worst position it’s ever been since I started making music,The Record company’s don’t believe in it,Radio won’t play it if it don’t have a rapper,and a majority of the artist that are labeled RnB,are confused and lost,so I repeat,I hope Ocean sells more than the 125k that he’s on pace for,maybe these executives u’llwake the fµck up,or at least try to copy what he’s doing,like they always do, by the way,the end of “Pyramids” jammin like a mufucka.

Rap-Up.com || Jermaine Dupri Hopes Frank Ocean Can Save R&B

...and about time someone noticed that commercial R&B is in a state of disarray.

destinylongwood

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,642 309 39
Alleybux
But Frank himself doesn't even call his music R&B, people need to stop being so pressed over him, I like him too but why are people looking to him to CHANGE anything? He's NEW. If the genre is in a state of emergency shouldn't the people who are already in it try to fix it themselves? Let the boy make his music and stop with the savior crap.

Iamscenic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,087 325 71
Alleybux
I love frank ocean, but this album will have to grow on me. But yes pyramids is my song.

memyselfni

DEATH TO SIDECHICKS-BRING BACK SHAME.
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
245,933 40,318 6,184
Alleybux
everybody on franks dick now...what hes doing isn't R&B...but will be labeled that just because hes black....

Neutrality

Spiritual
Reaction score
Reactions
11,455 21 22
Alleybux
I don't really like Frank Ocean's music, but if him doing well will encourage labels to sign other people who are doing something fresh and new, I'm all for it.

Iman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
49,073 812 286
Alleybux
I agree with JD but Frank can't save rnb by himself. I wouldn't even classify his music as rnb. I wouldn't classify it at all.

There are artists out there that are still making good music. They just don't get the same attention as the mainstream artists. People need to stop complaining about the state of music and who's hot and who's not when they're not supporting the artists legally.

memyselfni

DEATH TO SIDECHICKS-BRING BACK SHAME.
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
245,933 40,318 6,184
Alleybux
you know what..i think frank coming out is gonna bring more DL dudes out like JD....those negros are only speaking on his music because hes bringing their hiding in the closet bootyholes hope....they just wanna see how people will react to him being gay..before all of them fall out the closet...

daffie

Self Proclaimed Dork
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
6,603 134 80
Alleybux
Is JD's hair receding, or has his forehead always been that big?

MizzSuga

Sweet Like Suga, Baby
Reaction score
Reactions
72,104 1,377 807
Alleybux
Stoppit......just stop the madness already. Frank is not doing that much for R&B if anything at all. all these bandwagon folks stay putting their foot in their mouths

Ms. Kadeezy

<span style="color:pink; text-shadow: 0px 0px 0.2e
Reaction score
Reactions
44,917 55 21
Alleybux
Frank Ocean isnt really R&B. He is more an artist similar to The Dream, The Weeknd, Miguel, Drake, etc. musically. I wasnt a big fan of his sound before and Im not a big fan now. TBH I dont rock with anyone from this newschool R&B, but I do wish him big success because it will be groundbreaking to have an open LGBT figure in black music.

RoyaltyBaby!

Team *****
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
87,592 1,841 196
Alleybux
I have to co-sign with Jermaine D. on his comments about the state of R&B right here...I'm always reminded when I watch TV1's "Unsung". It's amazing how music that was written and sung decades ago still sound great and relevant...it's amzaing how some of the true R&B music has lasted over generations...

I was even more happy,finally!! a RnB album that’s hip,with out having the same 5 rappers on every song.

RnB,it’s in the worst position it’s ever been since I started making music,The Record company’s don’t believe in it,Radio won’t play it if it don’t have a rapper,and a majority of the artist that are labeled RnB,are confused and lost,so I repeat,I hope Ocean sells more than the 125k that he’s on pace for,maybe these executives u’llwake the fµck up...

Fappable

Young, Black, & Eccentric
Reaction score
Reactions
86,630 12,683 10,997
Alleybux
If Adele couldn't save R&B nobody can.

I hope Keyshia Cole can make a comeback. I doubt it.

JCKeepitreal

Hey, Just Keeping It Real
Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
you know what..i think frank coming out is gonna bring more DL dudes out like JD....those negros are only speaking on his music because hes bringing their hiding in the closet bootyholes hope....they just wanna see how people will react to him being gay..before all of them fall out the closet...

This bears repeating!!!

Champ77

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,040 2,465 2,138
Alleybux
But Frank himself doesn't even call his music R&B, people need to stop being so pressed over him, I like him too but why are people looking to him to CHANGE anything? He's NEW. If the genre is in a state of emergency shouldn't the people who are already in it try to fix it themselves? Let the boy make his music and stop with the savior crap.

D'angelo don't always describe himself as a soul artist. A lot of times he says I'm not a soul artist just an artist. It's the same thing...Frank doesn't want to put a label on himself so he can be free to do whatever he wants but if you listen to his music it's easy to hear what kind of music he does. Yes he's inspired by different genres but at the end of the day it's still R&B/soul. I'd describe him more of a soul artist.

He's not a savior though but if his music does well then record companies will start looking for similar talented artist like him to hype up and that's a good thing.

April Diamond

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
303,019 8,822 4,329
Alleybux
He's right.

Whether Frank wants to call himself an R&B or not, his music is primarily rooted in it, so.

Hopefully he inspires to these vets like Chris and Usher (who he basically wipped the floor with sales wise....MESSAGE) to make decent music again and stop with this dance bµllsh!t.

intellect

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
27,450 133 81
Alleybux
How is he gonna save a genre he doesn't even want to claim? I love Frank, but really?

Frank says he doesn't make RnB music but people want him to be the savior of the genre? Huh? Lol

ghost305

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,107 189 225
Alleybux
JD to frank ocean: "sh!t is kinda tight right now, hit me up so we can hit the studio"

almostpia

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,452 48 20
Alleybux
According to iTunes,Frank's album is classified as Pop so I don't see it even showing up on an R&B top ten. Do the urban stations even play his songs on their station? Frank is a talented guy but he is not a banner carrier for R&B and he says that himself.

The issue is not with the artists but the fact the industry is only interested in artists doing what sells. Usher and CB have always integrated some form of pop in their music and what is pop today includes the euro dance stuff, which is slowly dying. You have people like Monica, Melanie Fiona, who will sing R&B but don't get the industry backing.

BKDIVA

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
15,606 3 1
Alleybux
I don't know how people say they don't hear R&B in his music - it is definitely there on this album. Anyway, JD's point about R&B is correct but Ocean ain't gonna change it; hell, he doesn't even want to be affiliated with that genre.

LovingLV

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
32,954 30 66
Alleybux
I don't ever remember R&B being mainstream. "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child wasn't even a R&B song. Ciara's "Goodies" wasn't even R&B. I do remember R&B singers still selling without a mainstream hit, but no one is really selling.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,399 6 3
Alleybux
This boy music is not all that great. I'm not a fan of it and I wish people would get off this "Saving" sh!t. Ain't nobody gone save nothing. R kelly put out two good r&b albums and Eric Benet had a good album and so did maxwell and if that didn't do much for R&b I doubt that Frank's album will. I'm tired of hearing about this dude honestly. He already becoming overrated. People just want to jump on the bandwagon since he came out the closet and it's a "Hot Topic" right now. Once all this settle down u won't hear people mentioning his name left and right. People need to face the fact that R&B is dead and so is every genre that use to mean something.

Lost Queen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,855 5 2
Alleybux
Frank Ocean isn't "traditional" r&b but he's closer to it than majority artist out now. I want him to do well just so we can get some music that doesn't sound EXACTLY like every other artist.

Selam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,100 1,831 3,824
Alleybux
Cut the bµllsh!t. Frank isn't R&B. Why are people so pressed to make this guy the second coming just because he hopped out of the closet?

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,407 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
this is gon get ugly. real ugly.

These Frank Ocean threads always do.

There are people who just don't like his music and they have a right to not like it. If they aren't feeling it, they aren't feeling it.

But then you get the folks coming in on a gay bashing tip. . .the fck for? I swear some of these folks want him to fail simply because he's gay. Don't even know why his sexuality was brought up in this thread. JD mentioned nothing about sexuality...only about R&B and you see folks were quick to bring up the fact that his gay. IMO, that's the REAL issue some folks have with him.