Quantcast

Jermaine Dupri hopes Frank Ocean can save R&B:

Ms. Kadeezy

<span style="color:pink; text-shadow: 0px 0px 0.2e
Reaction score
Reactions
44,917 55 21
Alleybux
I don't ever remember R&B being mainstream. "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child wasn't even a R&B song. Ciara's "Goodies" wasn't even R&B. I do remember R&B singers still selling without a mainstream hit, but no one is really selling.
yes, urban music was very very popular 10 years ago in the early 2000s especially.
before there was a pitbull for all that electropop songs, ja rule was the main man to go to for a collab. all that ja rule/ashanti/j.lo, 50 cent, usher, missy elliot, destinys child, lil jon, outkast fame was 10 years ago. somewhere somehow top 40 transitioned from urban to electropop somewhere around 2007. i honestly think britney spears blackout album has alot to do with why but anyway 2006 was all that timbaland stuff on radio (justin timberlake, nelly furtado) and 2007-2008 slowly euro/electropop became big on Top 40. you can really see how the transition hurt an artist like ciara who was only hot when urban was. if nicki came out in 2004, she wouldnt need a starships for sales and chris wouldnt need a turn up the music for sales either.
and i love how people all up on gaga and nicki's ass, both those bishes stole their swag from gwen stefani. people forgot all about gwen now huh.

Selam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
81,100 1,831 3,824
Alleybux
Sometimes it's hard to believe that JD produced two of the biggest contemporary R&B albums of the last 10 years. He comes off slow af!

I don't ever remember R&B being mainstream. "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child wasn't even a R&B song. Ciara's "Goodies" wasn't even R&B. I do remember R&B singers still selling without a mainstream hit, but no one is really selling.

Those songs are contemporary R&B with different elements.

Ms. Kadeezy

Reaction score
Reactions
44,917 55 21
Alleybux
if you want real r&b, buy r. kelly and tank's new albums.
chris brown, usher, ne-yo, frank.. none of them newbies giving us real soul.

Nisi@Cali

Team Owner
BANNED
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
30,176 24 57
Alleybux
FRANK is the flavor of the month right now, is JD is producer, manager, etc. Is he set to make money off of FO, sure he is.

Frank just a gay man that came out and everybody calling his ass the second coming, every since jayz and beyonce came out for his ass people think their co signing him was some second coming sh!t, he ain't he just a gay man that came out the closet and enjoying 1 hour of fame, he ain't gonna same R&B JD, now sit your ugly ass down.

LovingLV

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
32,955 30 66
Alleybux
yes, urban music was very very popular 10 years ago in the early 2000s especially.
before there was a pitbull for all that electropop songs, ja rule was the main man to go to for a collab. all that ja rule/ashanti/j.lo, 50 cent, usher, missy elliot, destinys child, lil jon, outkast fame was 10 years ago. somewhere somehow top 40 transitioned from urban to electropop somewhere around 2007. i honestly think britney spears blackout album has alot to do with why but anyway 2006 was all that timbaland stuff on radio (justin timberlake, nelly furtado) and 2007-2008 slowly euro/electropop became big on Top 40. you can really see how the transition hurt an artist like ciara who was only hot when urban was. if nicki came out in 2004, she wouldnt need a starships for sales and chris wouldnt need a turn up the music for sales either.
and i love how people all up on gaga and nicki's ass, both those bishes stole their swag from gwen stefani. people forgot all about gwen now huh.

Isn't that hip hop? True R&B would be Jill Scott and Erykah Badu, but OK.

Shaboopalaboopi

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,992 95 77
Alleybux
So is he saying he wants him to be the Savior because he's popular for the moment? There are plenty of people out right now that are REAL R&B. Why not cape for them? Oh, because he's here for the moment. Got it. Hope he knows that not only does he not classify himself as R&B, but his current hype is only because he "came out". Some people love and live for a good hype. But once the hype is over, then what? Is JD still going to cape?

Ms. Kadeezy

Reaction score
Reactions
44,917 55 21
Alleybux
Isn't that hip hop? True R&B would be Jill Scott and Erykah Badu, but OK.
even then, jill and erykah were selling better in the early 2000s.
im just saying 10 years ago, the market was better for black artists. hell even the white artists were trying to skip their way into urban markets. pink, christina aguilera, britney, justin..... after the bubblegum pop thing ended, urban was in heavy for a few years. the thing with top 40 is that it is very very fickle and all about fads.
electropop is slowly on its way out too. the success of someone like adele is testament to that. im very interested to see how artists like mariah, justin timberlake, and janet will fare when they comeback. im wondering if they will bring a gamechanger or follow ship just like madonna, britney, and usher have.

FebruaryAmor

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
74,600 2,384 362
Alleybux
on Itunes they labeled his album as "POP". What do you guys think it is? Is it considered hip-hop (hes singing though)

is it alternative?

is it urban contemporary?

JCKeepitreal

Hey, Just Keeping It Real
Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
This boy music is not all that great. I'm not a fan of it and I wish people would get off this "Saving" sh!t. Ain't nobody gone save nothing. R kelly put out two good r&b albums and Eric Benet had a good album and so did maxwell and if that didn't do much for R&b I doubt that Frank's album will. I'm tired of hearing about this dude honestly. He already becoming overrated. People just want to jump on the bandwagon since he came out the closet and it's a "Hot Topic" right now. Once all this settle down u won't hear people mentioning his name left and right.

This!!!

nicsala

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,381 425 170
Alleybux
Its some real contradictions going on in here but I'm just gonna see how this unfolds :disdain:

JCKeepitreal

Hey, Just Keeping It Real
Reaction score
Reactions
6,388 80 238
Alleybux
But then you get the folks coming in on a gay bashing tip. . .the fck for? I swear some of these folks want him to fail simply because he's gay. Don't even know why his sexuality was brought up in this thread.

I don't even know why Frank Ocean brought it up. Is it really any of our bizness that he's into men, not women? I don't need to know that and I bet he still will sing songs referring to women. I bet that is why he stated he is "bisexual" so he can still sing love songs using women. No, he's gay.
If he didn't want his sexuality to become an issue he should not have made it one.

dlite00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
6,915 17 28
Alleybux
These Frank Ocean threads always do.

There are people who just don't like his music and they have a right to not like it. If they aren't feeling it, they aren't feeling it.

But then you get the folks coming in on a gay bashing tip. . .the fck for? I swear some of these folks want him to fail simply because he's gay. Don't even know why his sexuality was brought up in this thread. JD mentioned nothing about sexuality...only about R&B and you see folks were quick to bring up the fact that his gay. IMO, that's the REAL issue some folks have with him.

i think people realize that all this hype he's getting is based more on him coming out then anything else, i dont see or hear anything special about him musically but he is getting praised as if hes this amazing artist.prior to him admitting hes gay i didnt know who he was and i didnt see 50/11 threads about him either.you say some people want him to fail because he's gay but dont alot of people want him to win for the same reason?

TobiasBlkChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
242,408 5,177 6,092
Alleybux
i think people realize that all this hype he's getting is based more on him coming out then anything else, i dont see or hear anything special about him musically but he is getting praised as if hes this amazing artist.prior to him admitting hes gay i didnt know who he was and i didnt see 50/11 threads about him either.you say some people want him to fail because he's gay but dont alot of people want him to win for the same reason?

Again, what does all of this have to do with the OP?

JD is talking about R&B as it pertains to Frank Ocean. Where does his sexuality fall into the mix? The real question, as some have pointed out, is does his music really qualify as R&B or is it pop?

Whatever, man.

UPS Guy

I was here
Reaction score
Reactions
91,291 4,098 4,038
Alleybux
Frank is overrated and his music is a hit or miss. He ain't gone save nothing. He should stick to song writing because his singing his dull.

People are sleeping on MF:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTWnJ-uZzGQ]Melanie Fiona-Wrong side of a love song lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

She making good music, but people over here feening over Frank.

memyselfni

DEATH TO SIDECHICKS-BRING BACK SHAME.
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
246,277 40,325 6,184
Alleybux
So now everybody is a Frank Ocean fan, smh. I can't with these bandwagon riders.

I'm not a fan....listened to his music twice to hear what all the hype is about....well now i know....its ass...he needs to stick to just writing for others.

Iamscenic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
2,087 325 71
Alleybux
everybody on franks dick now...what hes doing isn't R&B...but will be labeled that just because hes black....

I've been a fan for a while, but yeah now that he's more famous everybody likes him.