Quantcast

Julianna Margulies defends Matt Damon after backlash over his #MeToo comments

yaso1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
67,032 19,398 16,964
Alleybux
Julianna Margulies has defended Matt Damon after he faced a backlash over his #MeToo comments.

Earlier this year, the Good Will Hunting actor weighed in on the movement against xesual harassment and abuse in the entertainment industry, bemoaning the fact that most men in Hollywood, like himself, aren't predators.

Damon later apologized amid a furious backlash as critics accused him of dismissing victims' experiences.

Now, months later, The Good Wife's Julianna Margulies has spoken out saying that she didn't believe he had anything to apologize for.

'I didn't think that was right,' she told Katie Couric in a podcast episode on Thursday.

'I understood what he was saying. He was completely compassionate about what was going with people who are raping, but it's not the same as what's going on with people who are joking around on a set.'

The Dietland star continued: 'You have to differentiate between what's acceptable and what's not acceptable.

'The dialogue has been opened, finally, after all these years. The reason the pendulum swung so far was that women, it's been bubbling under the surface and this tiny little opening happened, and we all just ran out of that one ripped seam.'

'I think what's important to remember is that there is also women who abuse their power. This whole movement, I feel, has been bubbling under the surface for years … It's just the beginning.'

Margulies said she has personally experienced xesual harassment in the industry, including disgraced former producer Harvey Weinstein who she accused of luring her to a hotel room in her 20s. She has accused an allegedly gun-toting Steven Seagal of a similar incident.

48344E0B00000578-0-image-a-221_1516134911747.jpg

Julianna Margulies defends Matt Damon after backlash over his #MeToo comments | Daily Mail Online

Wineglass1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
25,242 1,320 1,799
Alleybux
I've come to the conclusion that the internet is toxic and people will find absolutely anything to get mad about, even if it isn't about them.

Last edited:

FunkyMind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,203 878 107
Alleybux
Does he really need a defender? He got a little slap on the wrist (well deserved), no big deal. Matt in general is ignorant but he cares about his media image too much and can't let it go when it's needed. He should learn to listen.

Casimira

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
49,936 1,362 308
Alleybux
I don't disagree with anything Matt Damon said, but he should have just kept quiet and let the women have their say first. Most people already understand that there's a difference between making unwanted xesual remarks and raping someone.

CHOPCHOP

DA MASTA ONION
Reaction score
Reactions
91,657 1,709 1,420
Alleybux
Julianna Margulies has defended Matt Damon after he faced a backlash over his #MeToo comments.

Earlier this year, the Good Will Hunting actor weighed in on the movement against xesual harassment and abuse in the entertainment industry, bemoaning the fact that most men in Hollywood, like himself, aren't predators.

Damon later apologized amid a furious backlash as critics accused him of dismissing victims' experiences.

Now, months later, The Good Wife's Julianna Margulies has spoken out saying that she didn't believe he had anything to apologize for.

'I didn't think that was right,' she told Katie Couric in a podcast episode on Thursday.

'I understood what he was saying. He was completely compassionate about what was going with people who are raping, but it's not the same as what's going on with people who are joking around on a set.'

The Dietland star continued: 'You have to differentiate between what's acceptable and what's not acceptable.

'The dialogue has been opened, finally, after all these years. The reason the pendulum swung so far was that women, it's been bubbling under the surface and this tiny little opening happened, and we all just ran out of that one ripped seam.'

'I think what's important to remember is that there is also women who abuse their power. This whole movement, I feel, has been bubbling under the surface for years … It's just the beginning.'

Margulies said she has personally experienced xesual harassment in the industry, including disgraced former producer Harvey Weinstein who she accused of luring her to a hotel room in her 20s. She has accused an allegedly gun-toting Steven Seagal of a similar incident.

48344E0B00000578-0-image-a-221_1516134911747.jpg

Julianna Margulies defends Matt Damon after backlash over his #MeToo comments | Daily Mail Online

You go to any job and thats going to be an issue.

we all know rape and inappropriate comments are not one in the same. doesn't negate the fact that comments can be just as damning amd can make people just as uncomfortable? who wants either situation?

it was tone deaf. THATS why he got blasted.

T H I E F S

A Person
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
124,410 8,683 13,079
Alleybux
I don't disagree with anything Matt Damon said, but he should have just kept quiet and let the women have their say first. Most people already understand that there's a difference between making unwanted xesual remarks and raping someone.

DO people understand the difference?

If they did, Aziz Ansari would not have been raked over the coals the way he was. If they did, you would not have that reporter accusing Morgan Freeman for harassment behind a mild, toothless joke that was not even directed at her.

DottieHinkle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
482,927 19,217 18,724
Alleybux

If they did, Aziz Ansari would not have been raked over the coals the way he was. If they did, you would not have that reporter accusing Morgan Freeman for harassment behind a mild, toothless joke that was not even directed at her.

‘If they did, these men would have not have faced backlash for things that I don’t think they should have faced backlash for’

T H I E F S

A Person
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
124,410 8,683 13,079
Alleybux
‘If they did, these men would have not have faced backlash for things that I don’t think they should have faced backlash for’

Oh shut up, will you.

The Aziz Ansari story was bµllsh!t, and everybody knows it. Did he behave somewhat badly? Yes. Did the woman have the means to deal with what happened privately? Yes. Did he apologize to her? Yes. Should he have been lumped together with Weinstein because of a bad date in which neither party was mature enough to communicate properly what they wanted?

As for Morgan Freeman... if you truly believe he deserves backlash for this

then you only prove my point for me.

LaurieB

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,641 1,408 297
Alleybux

Lots of people defended Aziz Ansari.

The main reason people got upset with Matt Damon, probably, is he seemed to make it about himself and he wasn't saying anything that wasn't already known. It also wasn't the first time he'd spoken up on topics he didn't have any need to speak up on, after the way he spoke to Effie Brown on his show.

T H I E F S

A Person
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
124,410 8,683 13,079
Alleybux
Lots of people defended Aziz Ansari.

The main reason people got upset with Matt Damon, probably, is he seemed to make it about himself and he wasn't saying anything that wasn't already known. It also wasn't the first time he'd spoken up on topics he didn't have any need to speak up on, after the way he spoke to Effie Brown on his show.

Yes lots of people defended Aziz. But lots of people dragged him too, and right now his career is fµcked. He's on the same list as Louis CK just because he had a bad date and apologized.

I don't see a thing that Matt Damon did wrong. He didn't make it about himself.... he just tried to put things in perspective. People went after him because they had a grudge against him based on his past history of mansplaining and whitesplaining. And also because folks were hungry to nail him on something because of his friendship with the Afflecks. But there was not a damn thing wrong with what he said at that moment.

Nandi Wabazulu

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,354 7,015 4,580
Alleybux
Yes lots of people defended Aziz. But lots of people dragged him too, and right now his career is fµcked. He's on the same list as Louis CK just because he had a bad date and apologized.

I don't see a thing that Matt Damon did wrong. He didn't make it about himself.... he just tried to put things in perspective. People went after him because they had a grudge against him based on his past history of mansplaining and whitesplaining. And also because folks were hungry to nail him on something because of his friendship with the Afflecks. But there was not a damn thing wrong with what he said at that moment.
No but Louis CK is actually a dick lol Aziz was innocent but Louis deserved his dragging.

Nandi Wabazulu

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,354 7,015 4,580
Alleybux
Matt Damon has always been problematic. Remember when he tried to talk over the black woman and explain the black experience to her at that one thing? He’s also a good friend of Weinstein’s. I never liked him.

LaurieB

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,641 1,408 297
Alleybux

I don't really follow Aziz Ansari but I didn't think he'd lost anything from the stories the way CK did (isn't his show still coming back?). Maybe I'm wrong.

FunkyMind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,203 878 107
Alleybux
Matt as always missed the point because he didn't listen. The whole problem is that this behaviour has been normalized. It's expected to be treated like that, it's part of the game. The last thread about the movie industry summed it up perfectly. Everyone is in it and everyone (including many LSA members) has been convinced it's part of the job. If you want to work in the business you can't complain. Working with abusers, rapists, pedophiles and murderers is something you just do if you want to have a career. Turning a blind eye is so common. That's the problem.

Last edited: