Quantcast

Kat Von D's former makeup line is rebranding for a second time in 2 years

Kat13

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,113 5,301 463
Alleybux
Source: Kat Von D's former makeup line is rebranding for a second time in 2 years

Kat Von D's former makeup line is rebranding once again after the celebrity tattoo artist sold her share of the company in 2020.

On Tuesday, the vegan cosmetics brand — formerly known as Kat Von D Beauty and KVD Vegan Beauty — relaunched its website and social-media accounts with a new name and shiny aesthetic.

According to the company, its name is now KVD Beauty, and the initials now stand for Kara, Veritas, and Decora — or Value, Truth, and Beauty.

On Instagram, the makeup brand said it believes in 'the power of reinvention'

"Born in an iconic tattoo studio, rooted in a dream of unrestrained beauty with a nonconformist & fearless spirit, we started a revolution with tattoo inspired makeup & limitless creativity," the brand's statement says. "We continue this legacy."

The note goes on to describe tattoos as "the boldest form of artistic self-expression," and "deeply personal ink" that "becomes part of you." From there, the brand shared its core values, which include celebrating "the individual" and rejecting "conventional beauty standards & sameness."

KVD Beauty also said it gives "a f--- about the world," and cares for the planet and those who live on it.

Finally, the brand said it will continue to offer "high-pigment, high-performance makeup inspired by tattoo artistry."

"We give you the tools to live your beauty truth," the statement says. "We stand for Kara, Veritas, Decora/Value, Truth, Beauty. Your truth is valuable & beautiful. We are KVD: Tattoo-Inspired Vegan Beauty."

The brand expanded upon these values on its website. There, the company says it's committed to championing social and racial justice, writing: "We believe in equity and inclusivity because, in our world, outsiders are insiders."

KVD Beauty also promises that it remains "100% vegan and cruelty-free."

"We challenge ourselves to use fully recyclable packaging, post-consumer recycled materials, & refillable compacts whenever possible," the brand says on its website.

It's currently unclear if this change in name and branding will impact any of the brand's current products or packaging. It's also unclear as to why the company decided to rebrand after becoming Kat Von D Vegan Beauty in January 2020.

The company also named Miryam Lumpini as its new global director of tattoo artistry

According to a post on the brand's Instagram page, Lumpini will serve as the "resident tattoo artist," and be responsible for "creative inspiration" and product collaboration.

"Growing up, being one of the only Black girls in the Swedish countryside, I never dreamt that I would be the first global tattoo artist for KVD Beauty," Lumpini said in another post for the brand. "I used to ride the bus, reading fashion and tattoo magazines, and now I have this opportunity to share my creativity through beauty."

Kat Von D sold her shares of the company in January 2020

After running the brand for 11 years, Von D said on January 16, 2020, that she could no longer raise her child and manage her multiple business ventures "at the maximum capacity."

"This was not an easy decision, but after careful consideration, I decided I wanted the makeup line to continue to thrive and grow, and I believe Kendo is primed to do just that," Von D wrote on Instagram at the time.

"In order to avoid any confusion with such a big change, Kat Von D Beauty will take a moment to rebrand itself, so you will start noticing the change from KatVonD Beauty to KvD Vegan Beauty," she added.

In its own Instagram posts at the time, her former brand said it would be changing its name to KVD Vegan Beauty, and that its initials would then stand for its "ethos and new manifesto."

"It does NOT stand for a person's initials," the brand previously wrote on Instagram. "We believe in Kindness, Vegan Beauty + Discovery (and Doing good)."

The brand also promised at the time that most of Von D's products would go unchanged — except for in packaging — and that the tattoo artist is "no longer involved in the brand in any capacity."

siren_

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
26,731 841 1,063
Alleybux
Ulta sent out an ad the other day with KVD included. The image of the product said "Kat Von D" on it.

Kat13

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,113 5,301 463
Alleybux
Ulta sent out an ad the other day with KVD included. The image of the product said "Kat Von D" on it.
Oh word? They must didn't get the memo, or they're trying to sell off what they have to make room for the new stuff.

Daria M

Daria Morgendorffer
Reaction score
Reactions
44,457 1,376 946
Alleybux
Omg let it go. It’s over no one wants Kat Von D, KVD or whatever it’s named.

Get it out of Sephora and give the shelf space to another company.

hereforhair

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,091 104 26
Alleybux
They need to drop the KVD name entirely. Like I straight up do not want makeup with a racist ass nazi’s initials on it. I don’t care if they try to say it doesn’t stand for her name. If it’s the same initials it might as well. They will stay not getting my dime until they stop being so damn lazy

LoveyDove

Black market Daily Defense Tender Apple reseller
Reaction score
Reactions
88,744 2,274 98
Alleybux
They know damn well they need to just suck it up and change the name entirely. They should have changed the name first, and kept the old goth aesthetic. Then changed the visual look later if they still wanted to do that.

The new logo looks like party flier from 2007. Something you'd find taped to the elevator of a college dorm, not an established makeup company.

Swan

Secular Woman
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
400,080 5,387 939
Alleybux
They need to just cut their losses and change the name completely. People will forever associate the brand with her as long as those initials and that aesthetic are there.

Stan Hudson

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,482 10
Alleybux
There are a number of products with her name on it. They claimed they were just trying to sell through it "for the environment" to avoid being wasteful or some BS.

They need to stop using the initials because no one is able to disassociate it with Kat Von D.

siren_

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
26,731 841 1,063
Alleybux
There are a number of products with her name on it. They claimed they were just trying to sell through it "for the environment" to avoid being wasteful or some BS.

They need to stop using the initials because no one is able to disassociate it with Kat Von D.
They should just sell the old products at Ross or Marshall's to get rid of stock.

Edensong

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,335 1,100 567
Alleybux
Sigh I loved KVD when she was still running her old company. Products aren't the same and neither is the quality. Glad I have stuff left from when Kat was running. They had the best eyeshadows you could ever use and blend seamlessly. They fell off when she stepped down. They might as well just pull a Becca and close up shop. It won't be long. I am predicting this.

DizzyGalWonder

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,695 704 342
Alleybux
They should just sell the old products at Ross or Marshall's to get rid of stock.
They are, for the last two years. From my observations, it tends to always be on clearance and just sits on the shelves unbound, at least in my city.

Fleurella

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,800 356 47
Alleybux
Are people still buying from that unvaccinated dirty looking nazi loving woman? They should really just let that company go away

bonesforb

KansasCityRIGGED
Reaction score
Reactions
129,732 3,003 1,191
Alleybux
I bought their cream to powder foundation that is in the white bottle a couple weeks ago and really, really like it. I don't have a ton of products from the brand though. Their liquid lipsticks still sell from what I see. Ulta would have not picked them up if they weren't still doing sales.

Justa

Facsimile of God | Megan Thee Samaritan
Reaction score
Reactions
285,319 4,977 407
Alleybux
they are going to rebrand again until people forget who they really are smh

Reaction score
Reactions
2,332 27 1
Alleybux
I loved Kat Von D when I started getting into Sephora. When I tell you all her stuff was PIGMENTED?! Couldn’t find that with other brands. I just got back into it. Not the viral foundation balm good apple mess but the lipsticks were $10 last week at Sephora so I got Lolita and vampira and I bought the powder foundation. Now that she is no longer at the helm I can support the brand again. I still love the lock it foundation, all the lipsticks I have and the eyeshadow.