Quantcast

Kenyan schoolgirl takes her own life after 'period shaming' by teacher after it started during class

Maelin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,050 20,789 366
Alleybux
Kenyan schoolgirl takes her own life after 'period shaming'

_108748161_gettyimages-468302426.jpg

A schoolgirl in Kenya has taken her own life after allegedly being shamed in class for having her period and staining her uniform.

The 14-year-old's mother said her daughter hanged herself after being humiliated by a teacher, Kenyan media reported.

Police used tear gas to disperse a crowd of about 200 parents protesting outside the school, reports said.

Kenya passed a law in 2017 to provide free sanitary towels for schoolgirls.

However, a parliamentary committee is currently investigating why the programme is yet to be rolled out across all schools.

The girl's mother said a teacher had called her "dirty" for soiling her uniform and ordered her to leave the class in Kabiangek, west of the capital Nairobi, last Friday.

"She had nothing to use as a pad. When the blood stained her clothes, she was told to leave the classroom and stand outside," the mother was quoted as saying in Kenyan media.

She said her daughter came home and told her mother what had happened, but then when she went to fetch water she took her own life.

Her parents reported the matter to the police but became frustrated by an apparent lack of action, the Daily Nation reported

Together with other parents they staged a protest outside the school on Tuesday. Police moved in and made five arrests when the demonstrators blocked a road and pulled down the school gate, reports said. The school has since been closed.

Regional police chief Alex Shikondi said the circumstances of the girl's death were being investigated.

The school's headteacher has declined to comment.

In Kenya, as in other countries, many girls cannot afford sanitary products such as pads and tampons.

A UN report in 2014 said that one in 10 girls in sub-Saharan Africa missed school during their period.

Some girls reportedly lose 20% of their education for this reason, making them more likely to drop out of school altogether, the report said.

'Period-shamed' schoolgirl took her own life

That teacher needs to find a new country to hide in cause I would be on the hunt if I was the parents.
May this child Rest In Peace

evil_sandy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,719 436 636
Alleybux
This is so sad :sob: May she rest in peace.

This story makes me want to donate to those menstrual cup charities, it's awful that young women around the world have to endure this BS.

Southernmost

LSA HARDEST WORKING PRO ADOS H*E
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
72,259 6,256 11,989
Alleybux
This is barbaric. I hope the teacher wasn’t a woman. I can see how a stupid ass Y chromosome humanoid mocked a period but not a woman.

alleyant

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,158 931 933
Alleybux
I remember this happening to me in middle school. I didn’t have a parent to help me and my teacher decided to make it a class announcement and tell me that I need to do better instead of pulling me aside and explaining. I didn’t have a clue what was happening to me.

RIP baby girl. I hope your teacher goes to jail. Bullying is not okay.

Maelin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,050 20,789 366
Alleybux
This is barbaric. I hope the teacher wasn’t a woman. I can see how a stupid ass Y chromosome humanoid mocked a period but not a woman.

From personal experiences, male teachers were always way more understanding why girls wanted to go the bathroom. We wouldn’t have to explain but the female teachers wanted to play 20 questions in front of the whole class.

I noticed that schools are now making it harder for kids to go to the bathroom during class. Some even want medical notes if you ask to go the bathroom during class, sh!t is ridiculous.

sub-buzz-20356-1536254997-2.jpg

1B66DA00-10CD-464E-8839-A57ADC547242.jpeg

Whori Grimes

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
63,996 1,131 132
Alleybux
From personal experiences, male teachers were always way more understanding why girls wanted to go the bathroom. We wouldn’t have to explain but the female teachers wanted to play 20 questions in front of the whole class.

I noticed that schools are now making it harder for kids to go to the bathroom during class. Some even want medical notes if you ask to go the bathroom during class, sh!t is ridiculous.

Yes, my son just showed me his school's new bathroom policy. It's ridiculous. I told him to ask, but if he must go and is refused permission to get up and go anyway. Period.
I can't imagine being a girl in the class.

alleyant

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,158 931 933
Alleybux

View attachment 1034100

I hope teachers will be sued for it. A child could get an infection for holding in their urine. I had it happen to me during class in elementary and never forgot how evil my teacher was. At that age kids have a hard time holding it for eight hours and when it goes on the clothes, the humiliation is difficult. Teachers who do this lack empathy and I hope karma comes to them.

alleyant

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,158 931 933
Alleybux
Yes, my son just showed me his school's new bathroom policy. It's ridiculous. I told him to ask, but if he must go and is refused permission to get up and go anyway. Period.
I can't imagine being a girl in the class.

Yes ma’am. Protect your child at all costs. You are a good parent!

H8ME

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
31,361 814 1,073
Alleybux
This is so sad :sob: May she rest in peace.

This story makes me want to donate to those menstrual cup charities, it's awful that young women around the world have to endure this BS.

If you know or recommend any particular one please post so ppl can donate.

Isisleo86

FKA williams86
Reaction score
Reactions
511,319 8,973 1,173
Alleybux
fµck the teacher. A grown adult shaming a damn child. Grow the fµck up! May this girl rest in peace!

View attachment 1034100

That's terrible! Why does it have to be so damn hard for a child to use the bathroom? I understand if they're horsing around just to get out of class but anyone should be able to relieve themselves without being policed.

Chaotic Good

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,183 307 129
Alleybux

RIP to her. The teacher was actually female. You would be surprised at how male identified some women are. I hope she gets fired for this, it’s no way to treat a child.

Urbest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,132 11,494 3,304
Alleybux

A schoolgirl in Kenya has taken her own life after allegedly being shamed in class for having her period and staining her uniform.

The 14-year-old's mother said her daughter hanged herself after being humiliated by a teacher, Kenyan media reported.

Police used tear gas to disperse a crowd of about 200 parents protesting outside the school, reports said.

However, a parliamentary committee is currently investigating why the programme is yet to be rolled out across all schools.

The girl's mother said a teacher had called her "dirty" for soiling her uniform and ordered her to leave the class in Kabiangek, west of the capital Nairobi, last Friday.

"She had nothing to use as a pad. When the blood stained her clothes, she was told to leave the classroom and stand outside," the mother was quoted as saying in Kenyan media.

She said her daughter came home and told her mother what had happened, but then when she went to fetch water she took her own life.

Her parents reported the matter to the police but became frustrated by an apparent lack of action, the Daily Nation reported

Together with other parents they staged a protest outside the school on Tuesday. Police moved in and made five arrests when the demonstrators blocked a road and pulled down the school gate, reports said. The school has since been closed.

Regional police chief Alex Shikondi said the circumstances of the girl's death were being investigated.

In Kenya, as in other countries, many girls cannot afford sanitary products such as pads and tampons.

A UN report in 2014 said that one in 10 girls in sub-Saharan Africa missed school during their period.

Some girls reportedly lose 20% of their education for this reason, making them more likely to drop out of school altogether, the report said.

That teacher needs to find a new country to hide in cause I would be on the hunt if I was the parents.
Is there a way to donate pads? I use to donate $ here and there but stopped because it seems many of these “non profit” organizations pocket the money.

Stormy_Weather

“You Bit**es Ain’t Humble Enough”
Reaction score
Reactions
478,258 8,519 2,296
Alleybux
My mother told me a story about how a teacher bullied her about her period when she was in school, these kinds of stories are disgusting. When I was coming up, I was told that if I were refused permission to go to the restroom, to get up and go anyway. Some teachers are petty, vindictive, and downright evil

Southernmost

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
72,259 6,256 11,989
Alleybux
RIP to her. The teacher was actually female. You would be surprised at how male identified some women are. I hope she gets fired for this, it’s no way to treat a child.

The teacher needs to be beat in the street with her dirty backwards ass! Her mother failed her so her punk ass ruined someone else’s daughter’s life

LovelyLamp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,425 7,391 1,172
Alleybux

Actually I feel like a woman is more likely to do this than a man. Some women can be awfully misogynistic in third world countries like this.

Southernmost

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
72,259 6,256 11,989
Alleybux
Actually I feel like a woman is more likely to do this than a man. Some women can be awfully misogynistic in third world countries like this.

What is wrong with these b!tches? sh!t has me heated. I hope this girls parents get revenge on this dirty b!tch.

Cherith

Ariel
Reaction score
Reactions
25,741 1,912 2,560
Alleybux

OMG. This is so sad. I hope the teacher is fired, she doesn’t know how to speak to children.

KourtneyLovevitt

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,042 645 59
Alleybux

View attachment 1034100

I hope Ms. White had the best curriculum on the block, this is sooo anal and unnecessary.

RIP Baby girl, that teacher will get her karma

Born2BeQueen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
174,880 13,239 4,335
Alleybux
This is exactly why it angers my soul when trans-women say that they,too, have periods because their hormones fluctuate. Period shaming is real and it sucks to know that we're being shamed for something natural and that we can't control.

RIP to this young girl.

Maelin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,050 20,789 366
Alleybux
This is from the UK in July

The pink card is BS cause what girl wants to announce to the class that she is on her period.

Teacher told girl, 14, 'learn how to control your period' | Metro News

A teenage girl claims she was refused permission to use the toilet during class by a teachers who told her to ‘control her period’.

Maisie-Rae Adams, 14, suffered an ‘accident’ and asked to use the facilities but was left ‘humiliated and embarrassed’ when she was told to remain in the classroom.

The student says she grabbed a sanitary pad from her bag and walked out of the room anyway.

However, when she returned, her bag had been removed and she was told she couldn’t come back to the lesson.

This is the latest in what Maisie-Rae claims is a long-line of issues surrounding girls at Rednock School in Dursley, Gloucestershire, having their periods. She says she has received detention on three separate occasions – each time because she was asking to use the toilet because she was on her period.

Her mum Kelly Adams, 46, said that both she and her daughter suffer from heavy periods which can sometimes come up to three times a month. When Kelly attended a meeting at the school about the issue, she was told Maisie-Rae had ‘apparently raised her voice’ at the teacher before ‘walking out of the room’. The mum and daughter are now calling for a better plan to be put in place so girls can ‘discreetly’ let teachers know they are on their period. The school already has a ‘pink card policy’, which girls can show and be allowed to the bathroom. However, Maisie said she was not aware of this.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,337 58 7
Alleybux
RIP baby girl. You did not deserve this humiliation. Period. fµck that teacher. I hope that teacher faces disciplinary action AND bleeds through her dress on her wedding day.

MimiLuvs...

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,466 4,633 535
Alleybux
I don't have children, at the moment. But I do remember the times in which my teachers decided to embarrass me, when I was a kid.

One of the things that I am not looking forward to is the occasion, in which a teacher decides to embarrass my child. It wouldn't matter if it happens in front of the class or privately, if my child comes home in tears/feeling sad because of their teacher, LSA better start up a gofundme for me.

Anna Grace

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
128 1
Alleybux
Is there a way to donate pads? I use to donate $ here and there but stopped because it seems many of these “non profit” organizations pocket the money.

A few resources I found that let you donate products directly:

PERIOD chapters accept hygiene products and host packing parties

Directory of Homeless Shelters

You can call your local shelter to find out what they need, but I believe most will accept products. This also applies to DV shelters and a significant number of food banks since food stamps won't cover pads/tampons/cups.

I Support The Girls

Seoe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,588 398 299
Alleybux
Not fully in line with this, but my gym teacher used to punish girls who could not participate in swimming classes because of their periods. Generally I think she hated women.

Freja

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
658,989 274,502 8,222
Alleybux
Furious protests in Kenya as schoolgirl, 14, kills herself after being period-shamed in class by a teacher
  • The 14-year-old hanged herself after being shamed in class for having her period
  • She was called 'dirty' for soiling uniform but didn't have sanitary pad
  • Some 200 parents protested outside the school - with five being arrested
  • Kenya passed 2017 law to provide free sanitary towels for schoolgirls but not all schools have taken up policy
Hundreds of parents have mounted furious protests against a school after a girl killed herself for being shamed over having her period, it has been reported.

The 14-year-old Kenyan schoolgirl hanged herself at home after alleged being humiliated in front of her class.

Her mother said a teacher had called her 'dirty' for soiling her uniform and ordered her to leave the class in Kabiangek, west of the capital Nairobi.

'She had nothing to use as a pad. When the blood stained her clothes, she was told to leave the classroom and stand outside,' the mother was quoted as saying in Kenyan media.

Scroll down for video

18386006-7455551-image-a-12_1568279326790.jpg

Hundreds of parents have mounted furious protests against a school after a girl killed herself for being shamed over having her period

Around 200 parents staged a protest outside the school on Tuesday in reaction to the news, blocking a road and pulling down one of the school's gates.

Police used tear gas before making five arrests. The school has been closed since the protests, according to reports.

18385940-7455551-image-a-14_1568279344463.jpg

Police used tear gas before making five arrests. The school has been closed since the protests, according to reports. Regional police chief Alex Shikondi said the circumstances of the girl's death were being investigated

18385944-7455551-image-a-13_1568279342484.jpg

In 2017, Kenya passed a law stating that 'free, sufficient and quality sanitary towels' must be provided to every girl registered at school

In 2017, Kenya passed a law stating that 'free, sufficient and quality sanitary towels' must be provided to every girl registered at school.

However, as in several other countries, many girls cannot afford sanitary products such as pads and tampons.

A parliamentary committee is also investigating why the programme did not appear to have been rolled out at the school.

Some girls reportedly lose 20 per cent of their education for this reason, making them more likely to drop out of school altogether, the report said.

Protests in Kenya as schoolgirl, 14, kills herself 'after being period-shamed in class by a teacher' | Daily Mail Online

opal80s8

Hi, I’m Chucky. Wanna Play?
Reaction score
Reactions
7,588 823 1,368
Alleybux
What the hell is wrong with people? Females have a damn menstrual cycle and that’s not ever changing. Men and some idiot male identified hoes shame women for periods as if it isn’t biological and natural. Seeing it is already a headache but to not have the proper female products to handle it is sad to me then to be humiliated the way this child was is inexcusable. The teacher must receive consequences and live with the shame of causing a child to kill herself.

StayTrue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
104,852 2,941 2,424
Alleybux
Why didn't the parents provide her with a pad? Or the school if they are mandated to?

And if she didn't have one why didn't the teacher help instead of shaming her? Goodness how soulless can you be it's just a child.

hottJava

The most is the least I can do.
Reaction score
Reactions
19,704 1,021 887
Alleybux
I got my first period when I was 8 years old, and threw my monday tuesday and wednesday printed panties away because I thought my period was the result of kissing a boy on the cheek and would expose me to my mother, I didn't know what was happening until my second period.... Man it was a hard time the first few months, managing an irregular period. This is really sad.

I remember in 4th grade my muslim friend bled through her jeans and her parents werent ready to buy her feminine hygiene products. it so wasn't like that for us. The boys asked her if she was okay, the school nurse gave the extra hygiene packs and the girls gave her their own pads from home and a hoodie to tie around her waist until she could change on that particular day...

we celebrated our first training bras
and getting our first periods made us have this eerie excitement about our womanhood and fertility.

I can't imagine a little girl ending her life over something like this.
She just came of age, and instead of celebrating a feminine milestone she is dead.

unfilteredtruth

The madame of the Priestly Townhouse
Reaction score
Reactions
132,275 3,743 1,186
Alleybux
This breaks my heart. I know this is a fear amongst young teens and preteens here in the states but I know in certain parts of Africa, it’s very taboo. How can we help? How can we donate sanitary pads? Rest In Peace young girl

bigbuttjudi

Cali Girl in a DC World
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
103,688 2,515 879
Alleybux
how do we donate? I saw that documentary about the shame of women having their periods in india and how most girls stop going to school once they start their periods BECAUSE of the damn shame. it's sad and ignorant on so many levels.

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
580,977 19,673 2,219
Alleybux
I mean, they want women to have all these babies when they are older but HOW can you have babies without menstruation?? The very thing these girls are getting shamed for....

Human beings (men that is) are some of the DUMBEST assholes on the planet

Brandon Fallis

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,892 3,418 464
Alleybux
Why didn't the parents provide her with a pad? Or the school if they are mandated to?

money. the family couldn't afford to pay for it or didn't see it as necessary purchase. some girls & women who can't afford pads use tissue and it bleeds through. my fam is from kenya

Rue Bennett

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
10,734 1,021 560
Alleybux
money. the family couldn't afford to pay for it or didn't see it as necessary purchase. some girls & women who can't afford pads use tissue and it bleeds through. my fam is from kenya
why dont they do like the old times and just period on a rag?? wash them and save money.