Kid90 documentary by Soleil Moon Frye/Punky Brewster

evrdr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,453 2,712 986
Alleybux
On Hulu
80's-90's kids. This documentary looks like it will be interesting. Stars of your favorite kid shows (saw Webster in the promo) were recorded at the time by Soleil.

I'm bout to watch, though as a member of the itty bitty titty committee, I hated her after she started developing. Also, seeing her voluptuously living it up (so I thought) on the covers of teen magazines. Jealousy. Then when she said she hated the attention. Like what? More hate. We have a history. Seriously.

What had happened was, I went back to school after summer break. Other girls had things protruding from their chests. I did not. Fine. I'll just sit down and watch the first new Punky Brewster episode. Cute lil, adorable LITTLE Punky Brewster.

I still remember my jaw dropping to chest when she came on screen. My whole head dropped. I sat in stunned silence I tell you. Madt.

But anyway...
Who's watching?

awsomegirl015

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
151,336 5,098 1,935
Alleybux
I remember her e true Hollywood story, the industry was so cruel to her after punky Brewster. I’ll be watching tonight

CocoaButter9

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
136,990 20,525 3,882
Alleybux
Watching it right now. :)

Edit: Just finished it. Very disappointing. Awfully edited, very surface level. So many topics and stories they could've delved into and expanded on (suicides, deaths, addiction, xesual assaults, etc), but just talked about it briefly.

Had so much potential, but ended up being without much depth to the viewer. It's more like a "you had to have been there" sorta documentary. Wouldn't watch it again.

Last edited:

seve1024

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
186 2 16
Alleybux
Agreed!! it was ALL over the place!! She seems like a sweet girl/women, had no idea how many (famous) friends she had, I guess growing up in the industry is not surprising. I was really surprised with the skaters crew in NYC.

Does anyone have any tea on her? Seems like she withheld ALOT of info and her lovers

Edit: Just finished it. Very disappointing. Awfully edited, very surface level. So many topics and stories they could've delved into and expanded on (suicides, deaths, addiction, xesual assaults, etc), but just talked about it briefly.

Had so much potential, but ended up being without much depth to the viewer. It's more like a "you had to have been there" sorta documentary. Wouldn't watch it again.

evrdr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,453 2,712 986
Alleybux

I agree. Some things were really glossed over. I think she wanted something right away to draw attention to her new show. So, she put it together quickly. It was okay.

llrocks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,527 1,110 215
Alleybux
It was interested just cause she knew everyone and filmed everything so getting those little raw moments with those people was cool. It was kind of all over the place, surface level like someone mention. She should had done a 4-6 episode docuseries and spent more time on each subject - changing from cute little girl to her body changing/surgery. Then one on drug use/suicides/overdose. xesual assault/dating/losing her virginity to Charlie Sheen (which i guess was cute for her since that was her childhood celebrity crush. Although he sounded creepy on those vms and was way older than her). Her moving to NYC and hooking up with the skaters. Then bringing it up to date. She had some good people she interviewed but I don’t think they were used wisely.

She’s known so much death, a lot of those 90 kids have. I hope a lot of them are getting help.

also i want to know who was the friend who might have drugged her? She altered the voice so I’m sure it was someone famous.

Last edited:

evrdr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,453 2,712 986
Alleybux
xesual assault/dating/losing her virginity to Charlie Sheen (which i guess was cute for her since that was her childhood celebrity crush. Although he sounded creepy on those vms and was way over than her).

Yes, I was thinking of Ferris Bueller age Charlie Sheen then there was that picture of her and him at the game. He was not even very cute anymore. Old.

llrocks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,527 1,110 215
Alleybux
Yes, I was thinking of Ferris Bueller age Charlie Sheen then there was that picture of her and him at the game. He was not even very cute anymore. Old.
He was 29 and she was 18. And then him telling her she was maturing into a nice young lady. Eww. He was ugly and gross.

awsomegirl015

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
151,336 5,098 1,935
Alleybux
Damn that was a wild documentary. And they say today’s teens are wild. This upcoming generation wouldn’t even be able to keep up with 90s teens. But I see why soleil filed for divorce recently, she’s awfully comfortable with that pretty eyes ex of hers. :cautious:

awsomegirl015

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
151,336 5,098 1,935
Alleybux
That end tribute was sad, the fact that she knew all of those people that passed so young, in such tragic ways is frightening. But I loved the documentary as a whole.

ValentineGirl81

Mrs Huston
Reaction score
Reactions
104,846 2,384 286
Alleybux
I said this in the other thread, but all of those CUTE guys she knew and she chooses Charlie Sheen's old ass as her first?! I would've been ALL over Mark-Paul, Jonathan Brandis, Brian Austin Green, or Balthazar Getty. She had OPTIONS.

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
581,032 19,675 2,219
Alleybux
I just finished it this morning, so cool how she had all that footage even before sm......bud did ol girl really need to film herself puking??

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
581,032 19,675 2,219
Alleybux
Damn that was a wild documentary. And they say today’s teens are wild. This upcoming generation wouldn’t even be able to keep up with 90s teens. But I see why soleil filed for divorce recently, she’s awfully comfortable with that pretty eyes ex of hers. :cautious:

Oh the O'Connor dude from House of Pain?? Yeah you can tell they are kindred spirits.....I totally forgot he bought the house where The Outsiders was filmed, I was shocked to see them in my hometown.

STLBlackBeauty

Where the money resides...
Reaction score
Reactions
50,047 1,122 155
Alleybux
I said this in the other thread, but all of those CUTE guys she knew and she chooses Charlie Sheen's old ass as her first?! I would've been ALL over Mark-Paul, Jonathan Brandis, Brian Austin Green, or Balthazar Getty. She had OPTIONS.

I would have gone for the Getty or Mark-Paul's ass.

I had to rewind. "Did she just say she lost her v-card to Charlie?"

The documentary was boring. I'm not surprised her mother allowed a BR at 15. Soliel was doing some of everything. If you can smoke heroin, then you can get your boobs done.

Narda

Bougie Consignment Shopper
Reaction score
Reactions
72,272 1,898 91
Alleybux
As soon as I saw the trailer for this doc, I knew I would be watching it the weekend it was up.

I'm not understanding why people don't understand why she wanted a breast reduction, though. She was getting hit on by grown ass men at 13/14 and wanted to take back control. I remember being jealous that she was able to get a reduction as a kid.

I was intrigued to see how my faves lived (and died, so many of those folks are no longer around).

Does the documentary provide anything new or insightful? Probably not. It's definitely more of a time capsule opening for those who were there. I'm also about six months younger than Soleil, so it was interesting to relive the music and carefree life she captured.

Zuul

Are you the key master
Reaction score
Reactions
5,185 565 27
Alleybux
Why not? She was tired of the inappropriate attention and they hurt her back.

Exactly. Plus, she is really short--like 5'1 and she was almost an E cup at 14! That's HUGE. Who knows how big they would've gotten by the time she turned 18.

Skamnor2018

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,072 120 32
Alleybux
It was interested just cause she knew everyone and filmed everything so getting those little raw moments with those people was cool. It was kind of all over the place, surface level like someone mention. She should had done a 4-6 episode docuseries and spent more time on each subject - changing from cute little girl to her body changing/surgery. Then one on drug use/suicides/overdose. xesual assault/dating/losing her virginity to Charlie Sheen (which i guess was cute for her since that was her childhood celebrity crush. Although he sounded creepy on those vms and was way older than her). Her moving to NYC and hooking up with the skaters. Then bringing it up to date. She had some good people she interviewed but I don’t think they were used wisely.

She’s known so much death, a lot of those 90 kids have. I hope a lot of them are getting help.

also i want to know who was the friend who might have drugged her? She altered the voice so I’m sure it was someone famous.

I agree. This definitely should've been split in 1hr episodes. There was a lot of unanswered questions

Zuul

Are you the key master
Reaction score
Reactions
5,185 565 27
Alleybux
I have so many questions after watching this: Did she have "normal" friends? How was she friends with that pδrn star that ended up killing herself? I would've loved to hear that backstory.

I also found it really sad that a lot of her friends seemed to be reaching out for help and she seemingly wasn't there for them or didn't think it was a big deal.

And I'm shocked she admitted--gleefully, that she lost her virginity to Charlie Sheen. That isn't anything to brag about (esp after it's rumored that he raped Corey Haim on the set of Lucas). If she lost her virginity to him at 18, that would've been in 1994--that's after the Heidi Fleiss scandal. So...eww. She should've gave it up to Marky Mark, Joey Lawrence, or Brian Austin Green.

prettyjoy04

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,321 757 85
Alleybux
This documentary was exactly what I expected from Soleil. Even on PB she seemed grown and in the mix. I figured she ran her household and had all of the experiences she wanted. Her interaction with the O'Connor guy was nice but weird. He's clearly married and they were pretty cozy with each other.

I noticed that after about junior high Soleil made sure she was the only girl in her friend group. I saw a few other girls here and there but she mostly ran with boys. You have to be very careful doing that, everyone doesn't see you as a little sis. I think that's why she's so comfortable talking about Charlie and other xesual experiences she had. There's very little self awareness because she's the cool female celebrity friend. Someone on IG asked Cherrie Johnson why she wasn't on the doc. I assume they weren't friends during those years just former co-workers.

evrdr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,453 2,712 986
Alleybux
This documentary was exactly what I expected from Soleil. Even on PB she seemed grown and in the mix. I figured she ran her household and had all of the experiences she wanted. Her interaction with the O'Connor guy was nice but weird. He's clearly married and they were pretty cozy with each other.

I noticed that after about junior high Soleil made sure she was the only girl in her friend group. I saw a few other girls here and there but she mostly ran with boys. You have to be very careful doing that, everyone doesn't see you as a little sis. I think that's why she's so comfortable talking about Charlie and other xesual experiences she had. There's very little self awareness because she's the cool female celebrity friend. Someone on IG asked Cherrie Johnson why she wasn't on the doc. I assume they weren't friends during those years just former co-workers.

I'm glad Cherrie wasn't hanging out and drugging with them.

Rere84

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
581,032 19,675 2,219
Alleybux

Yeah I noticed that too......you think she was catty with other girls?

prettyjoy04

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,321 757 85
Alleybux

I don't think Soleil was catty or mean spirited to other girls. I think she just didn't want to deal with them. You can't be the star with a group of girls unless they're not as popular and cute. With the boys she was the lady and homegirl they would confide in and flirt with. Friends of the opposite xes can stroke your ego and prove why having girlfriends is messy. If Soleil was tight with a lot of girls instead of boys, all her tea would have been spilled by now.

Mrs Puff

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
7,801 197 95
Alleybux
I hadn't heard about this. I might have to re-subscribe to Hulu so I can watch it.

Zuul

Are you the key master
Reaction score
Reactions
5,185 565 27
Alleybux

I dunno, but judging by those voicemails she played, somebody didn't like her, LOL! I wish there was some context to that. Was it some random hater that got her number or was it one of her buddy's insecure girlfriends?

prettyjoy04

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,321 757 85
Alleybux
I dunno, but judging by those voicemails she played, somebody didn't like her, LOL! I wish there was some context to that. Was it some random hater that got her number or was it one of her buddy's insecure girlfriends?

I remember that part! lol. They just said it was anonymous callers. But I would like to know how they got her number. Maybe it was some girls from her school.

Tiffanyj

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
609 11
Alleybux
I have so many questions after watching this: Did she have "normal" friends? How was she friends with that pδrn star that ended up killing herself? I would've loved to hear that backstory.

I also found it really sad that a lot of her friends seemed to be reaching out for help and she seemingly wasn't there for them or didn't think it was a big deal.

And I'm shocked she admitted--gleefully, that she lost her virginity to Charlie Sheen. That isn't anything to brag about (esp after it's rumored that he raped Corey Haim on the set of Lucas). If she lost her virginity to him at 18, that would've been in 1994--that's after the Heidi Fleiss scandal. So...eww. She should've gave it up to Marky Mark, Joey Lawrence, or Brian Austin Green.

As far as her being friends with Savannah (the pδrn star) Both she and Soleil dated Danny Boy from house of Pain. Maybe she was friends with Savannah before, during or after that time.

phizle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
43,492 1,455 479
Alleybux
I haven't seen it yet, but to those who say it's very surface level...
You've got to remember these are private videos with underaged children/teenagers.. It's a very tricky process - especially if many died to suicide or drugs. There's a lot of speculation and getting the family approval also.

I think now this series has dropped and reception has been positive. The people featured or their families may be more open to divulge further

But I like that it's basically a capsule of what social media is now.