Quantcast

Lacey Schwartz Grew Up Believing She Was White

Ace Deucey

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,427 619 501
Alleybux
Exactly what I was about to post. Someone who is 3/4 white is white person, or at the very best considered multiracial. They definetely can’t be seen as passing when they are mostly white anyway. Using your rational, do Sasha and Malia Obama pass for black?

People get this race sh!t twisted. I could see why the country is pushing for more STEM curriculum.

How you figure you 3/4 white, 1/4 black and that makes you black?

You can tell who's white-identified by how they perceive race in accordance to simple math.

A quadroon is white with black admixture. People get this sh!t twisted and think just because some white man tell you one drop of black blood makes you black then you're black.

One drop of black blood in a full body of blood, of 3/4 white blood?

C'mon now.

Esmerie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
102,483 2,009 953
Alleybux
Just curious, Then what say you about an AA who may be 3/4 Black??

That’s different. AA identity is more of a spectrum due to our history. It’s posesible to have two black presenting parents and even black presenting grandparents but still be 3/4 black genetically. Black identity is more complex overall.

Exactly what I was about to post. Someone who is 3/4 white is white person, or at the very best considered multiracial. They definetely can’t be seen as passing when they are mostly white anyway. Using your rational, do Sasha and Malia Obama pass for black?

As I said in my second post, 3/4 white is other/quadroon especially if it’s plain to see as the literal nose on her face. I said passing bc that’s clearly what her dad was doing until she came along darker than him. He actually does like like a tan white guy. She looks like a long lost Morwy sister but says she’s lily white. I just pointed out the fact that she’s clearly mixed as evidenced by her living black grandmother. Y’all really in here trying to act like I invited her to the cookout lol. I called her a quadroon bc it applies. See above for my answer on Sasha and Malia.

JessicaLA

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,363 90 114
Alleybux
People get this race sh!t twisted. I could see why the country is pushing for more STEM curriculum.

You can tell who's white-identified by how they perceive race in accordance to simple math.

A quadroon is white with black admixture. People get this sh!t twisted and think just because some white man tell you one drop of black blood makes you black then you're black.

C'mon now.

Exactly. The one drop rule is a form of discrimination against black people. It comes from the idea that black people are lesser and that anyone with even a drop of black blood is equally tainted and should essentially “go over there with the rest of them”. It essentially makes being black a reject group. In which those who don’t match the high standard whites have for whiteness, that is 100% white, get cast into. It is completely unacceptable. I only expect white nationalists to still adhere to it. I get shocked when I notice the number of black people who still follow this discriminatory rule.

Esmerie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
102,483 2,009 953
Alleybux

C'mon now.

Could you quote where I said or implied she was black? I called her a quadroon bc she is 1/4 black and looks other than white. Not considering her white doesn’t mean I consider her black either.

JessicaLA

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,363 90 114
Alleybux
That’s different. AA identity is more of a spectrum due to our history. It’s posesible to have two black presenting parents and even black presenting grandparents but still be 3/4 black genetically. Black identity is more complex overall.

As I said in my second post, 3/4 white is other/quadroon especially if it’s plain to see as the literal nose on her face. I said passing bc that’s clearly what her dad was doing until she came along darker than him. He actually does like like a tan white guy. She looks like a long lost Morwy sister but says she’s lily white. I just pointed out the fact that she’s clearly mixed as evidenced by her living black grandmother. Y’all really in here trying to act like I invited her to the cookout lol. I called her a quadroon bc it applies. See above for my answer on Sasha and Malia.

The point is some AA who can be 3/4 black/African and 1/4 European are considered black (not black passing, just black). On the other end of the spectrum people like the girl you spoke of 3/4 white and 1/4 black should be considered white. Just white, not white passing.

Last edited:

janedoe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
207,271 1,062 420
Alleybux
I love this documentary. It's really good, y'all should watch it. Homegirl's momma was a mess and a half. She was having an affair with a black man that she was bringing around the house/husband and everything. The real father's wife even sliced her ass one time lol. Just a damn mess.

AutoPilot

Fly To Freedom
Reaction score
Reactions
41,060 808 518
Alleybux
white jewish girl finds out shes black? ummmm no finds out she's biracial/mixed. She is not black. You are not black if you have a non-black parent.

Ace Deucey

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,427 619 501
Alleybux
Could you quote where I said or implied she was black? I called her a quadroon bc she is 1/4 black and looks other than white. Not considering her white doesn’t mean I consider her black either.

Do you understand the implicit use of the word you are using?

Ace Deucey

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,427 619 501
Alleybux
Exactly. The one drop rule is a form of discrimination against black people. It comes from the idea that black people are lesser and that anyone with even a drop of black blood is equally tainted and should essentially “go over there with the rest of them”. It essentially makes being black a reject group. In which those who don’t match the high standard whites have for whiteness, that is 100% white, get cast into. It is completely unacceptable. I only expect white nationalists to still adhere to it. I get shocked when I notice the number of black people who still follow this discriminatory rule.

Goes to show how white identified black people still are. This is an outdated ideology that should have been done away with by black people.

Baba Tundai

Conversing with whatever lives under your wig.
Reaction score
Reactions
26,571 335 109
Alleybux
this just sounds unbelievable. there wasn't an irate aunt or bubbe who was tired of the charade and shenanigans and lies and didn't just blurt it out at family gatherings? hogwash! what kind of tri-state jewish people are these? how much did the mama pay errbodi to keep up the lie? surely most folks especially some new yorkers in the city know what biracial people look like. homegirl is unmistakably black(mixed). her features don't spell pure jewish and neither does her hair.....especially her skin tone.

well at least she knows and has come to terms with the fact that she is half black.

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,269 2,369 107
Alleybux
i was looking up info on congressman Antonio Delgado's wife and ended up here. as someone who grew up close to the area lacey was raised in, i find it really hard to believe no one suspected or said anything because she does look biracial. her childhood pics are very telling. just because her parents refused to say anything to her until she was older doesn't mean the rest of the family and local community didn't suspect she was biracial. i think the reason why people didn't go out of their way to question her more is because her parents are well to do and own businesses.

Cybersix

Logging in from the big comfy couch
Reaction score
Reactions
49,443 2,487 1,266
Alleybux
The mom had me dying with her messy ass. She was mad giddy when she talked about getting slashed by the bio dad's wife. The way she carried on at that funeral though. She needed her family at the bio dad's funeral for support like she was his wife. No wonder his wife tried to cut her. Her messy ass was doing too much.

Woo chile..she gives no fucks. She said 'if the guy i had an affair with was white none of this would've happened' . She only liked Rodney because she could snap her fingers and he would come running

prettyjoy04

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,318 757 85
Alleybux
I'm late as hell seeing this doc but I'm here. I feel bad for Lacey's father, Robert, in a way. I believe his wife was his beard. However, he had an out from that marriage in the early 70's. When mom got slashed by Rodney's wife, he should have left her ass right then. Clearly she loved the drama because she kept messing with Rodney and got pregnant later on. She was messy with her affair just like men are messy. Bringing him around the family and letting him see the child all in the open. She didn't give a damn about her husband. But she did care about the secret getting out. Weird ass woman. I am truly shocked that Lacey married a black man.

Eminem

Slim Shady
Reaction score
Reactions
169,087 10,079 5,127
Alleybux
I saw the ending of this doc years ago on tv but I just watched the whole thing on Hulu.

I find it interesting that her dad (man who raised Lacey) stayed with the mom after she cheated and just said, “whatever you did, let’s just move on” and then she had a baby who was obviously not his. Most men aren’t gonna stay around and raise someone else’s baby. And then he helped with the lie talking about “your granddaddy was Sicilian”. How come
no one else in the family looked “Sicilian” then?
The mom didn’t stick with Rodney bc he couldnt afford the life she desired.

She was probably still fµck!ng Rodney way into her marriage after Lacey was born.

And laceys mother is right, had she cheated with a White man, no one would have ever found out. anyway, glad to see Lacey embracing her Blackness.

Karmageddon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
51,639 1,464 123
Alleybux
And now Lacey's the Second Lady of New York State. Her husband's Antonio Delgado, NYS Lieutenant Governor.

1676825948011.png

Cocoa Bunny

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,787 5,399 4,462
Alleybux
After the White Lie Implodes, a Rich Narrative Unfurls
Little White Lie, Lacey Schwartzs Film About Self-Discovery

By FELICIA R. LEEAUG. 1, 2014

02WHITELIES-master495.jpg

Lacey Schwartz at the age of 2 with her mother, Peggy, in an image from Little White Lie. Credit Little White Lie

Lacey Schwartz, a 37-year-old Harvard Law School graduate turned filmmaker, moves with ease in circles in which her identity as both black and Jewish seems unremarkable. What makes her biography striking is that Ms. Schwartz, a woman with light brown skin and a cascade of dark curls, grew up believing she was white.

How and why that happened is the subject of her film, Little White Lie, which has its premiere on Sunday at the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival, its first stop on the festival circuit before being broadcast on PBS next year. With Ms. Schwartz narrating, the camera travels to a funeral, girlfriend gab sessions and even her therapy appointments. At each stop, in raw conversations with family and friends, Ms. Schwartz asks over and over, how and why did she pass as white?

I come from a long line of New York Jews, she says early in the film, as photographs of her white relatives flash across the screen. My family knew who they were, and they defined who I was.

Ms. Schwartz was an only child who grew up in the mostly white town of Woodstock, N.Y. Her parents, Peggy and Robert Schwartz, told her that she favored her fathers swarthy Sicilian grandfather. It was not until she went off to college that she learned the truth.

Before starting college, I was already questioning my whiteness because of what other people said and because I was aware that I looked different from my family, she said in a recent interview. Then, based on the photograph accompanying her application, Georgetown University passed her name along to the black student association, which contacted her.

The university gave me permission to explore a black identity, Ms. Schwartz said.

After her first year, she confronted her mother, and Peggy Schwartz acknowledged that her biological father was an African-American with whom she had had an extramarital affair. Lacey Schwartz had meanwhile found acceptance among black students at Georgetown. I genuinely experienced what it is to be black and what it is to be white, Ms. Schwartz said.

Little White Lie joins a body of work by other filmmakers who have focused on hidden truths about their family trees. In the 1996 Emmy Award-winning documentary Secret Daughter, June Cross explores what it meant to be the biracial daughter of a white mother who sent her away to be raised by a black family. Sarah Polley explores her parents relationship in her 2013 film, Stories We Tell, and learned that she was the product of an extramarital affair. Nathaniel Kahns 2003 documentary, My Architect: A Sons Journey, about his father, the architect Louis Kahn, was a quest to understand a man who furtively juggled three children with three different women.

jpWHITELIE-articleLarge.jpg

I genuinely experienced what it is to be black and what it is to be white. LACEY SCHWARTZ Right, with her mother, Peggy, who delayed telling her that her biological father was an African-American. Credit Jessica Kourkounis for The New York Times

A lot of personal documentaries cover secrets, said Jay Rosenblatt, program director of the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival. Self-indulgence is a big problem with personal documentaries, but I think the secret in Little White Lie kept it from going in that direction the narrative thrust keeps you engaged.

Bliss Broyard explored similar territory in a memoir about her father, the book critic Anatole Broyard, a black man who passed as white. She has said she was raised white but learned the truth about her father on his deathbed. But Ms. Broyard, unlike Ms. Schwartz, grew up with her biological father.

Jenifer L. Bratter, director of the Program for the Study of Ethnicity, Race and Culture at Rice University, said the films twisting tale was part of a larger story about race in America.

Biological race trumps cultural race, she added. Race is something were really invested in validating or comprehending. Its about how we understand race as a marker of difference, something that a story about ancestry cant resolve.

Over the years, Ms. Schwartz said, strangers had challenged her whiteness. At her bat mitzvah, a synagogue member told her that it was nice to have an Ethiopian Jew in their midst.

Learning that she was biracial did not fundamentally change the way she saw herself, but it did influence how she saw the world, she said in an interview in a rambling house in Cape May, N.J., where she was vacationing with her husband, twin infant sons and mother. (Ms. Schwartz and her family live in Brooklyn.)

Its how youre seeing interactions, how comments come across to you, Ms. Schwartz said. When youre in a town, are you aware of how many people of color are there? Are you aware when youre in a work environment?

She added, There are benefits to being white for me, its walking into a space with a potential sense of entitlement.

Although her parents separated when Ms. Schwartz was in high school and later divorced, making Little White Lie gave the whole family a way to talk after years of silence, Peggy Schwartz said. Now 67, she said she is unconcerned about being judged by viewers of the documentary.

When I first saw the film, it was so clear to me it was Laceys story, and it was her right to tell the story, she said. I did what I did. And they can judge me, but nobody else knows what my life was like.

photo-main.jpg

Lacey Schwartzs biological father, a family friend, died when she was 29, and Ms. Schwartz said she has remained close to her mother and to Robert Schwartz, whom she considers her father. He could not be reached for comment.

Ms. Schwartz began work on Little White Lie in 2006, after toying with the idea of making a film about black Jews. In 2008 she and Mehret Mandefro, a physician and an anthropologist, began a company called Truth Aid, which produces multimedia content about tackling barriers to wellbeing. Ms. Schwartz has also had experience talking about identity through her work with Bechol Lashon, a national advocacy group for Jews of color.

Diane Tobin, the groups founder and chief executive, has shown Little White Lie to young people who fall into that category and plans more screenings. Bechol Lashoms research indicates that by 2004, about 10 percent of the nations Jews had identified themselves as nonwhite, Asian, black, Latino or mixed-race. Laceys story is more complex than many, but its a way for people to talk about their history, Ms. Tobin said. All identities are more permeable now, and we see young Jews who want to develop a more diverse community.

As for Ms. Schwartz, she now finds a kind of sweet symmetry in her surname, a clearly Jewish name that literally means black, she says at the end of Little White Lie. Her tale has liberated her, she said, and she hopes it will free others.

Can you bring your full self through that door, she said, or do you feel you have to leave a piece of yourself behind?

A version of this article appears in print on August 2, 2014, on page C1 of the New York edition with the headline: After the White Lie Implodes, a Rich Narrative Unfurls.

After the ‘White Lie’ Implodes, a Rich Narrative Unfurls (Published 2014)
Isn't she white? Lol she looks white

LitChick1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
34,488 3,661 554
Alleybux
I agree.

I was kinda surprised to see he's Black to be honest.

25SCHWARTZjpg-articleInline.jpg
It made sense to me midway in the documentary that she was about to marry a black man & possibly was a catalyst for her to confront her Jewish family & parents about the truth. When they have kids how would she explain why their grandparents are white.

Memogs

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,213 599 274
Alleybux
I just watched the documentary last month, and it was really good. Her family, I don't have a word for them. The way no one said anything during all those years, ridiculous. I wonder if her mother didn't mind her curly hair, because it made her look as her mom. She didn't even look middle eastern like some other biracial people. She clearly was biracial, her skin tone is too prominent.

Last edited:

sevenof8

Coach
Reaction score
Reactions
144,101 3,874 1,557
Alleybux
I just watched the documentary last month, and it was really good. Her family, I don't have a word for them. The way no one said anything during all those years, ridiculous. I wonder if her mother didn't mind her curly hair, because it made her look as her mom. She didn't even look middle eastern like some other biracial people. She clearly was biracial, her skin tone is too prominent.

I thought the documentary was excellent, but some of the narrative didn’t pass the sniff test for me. Most importantly was when Lacey went to Harvard and decided to embrace being blackish. No way that she just aimlessly decided to do that because of questions asked during enrollment. Conversations were had, allusions and all that, but I think she packaged it that way to form the documentary. No way she graduated from high school and was off to college with absolutely no idea she might be part black. I think there was a lot of cognitive dissonance going on with her and her mother. I also believe the father was closeted and their xes life was probably non existent.

Lacey’s mother reminded me of how my former Jewish professor categorized his wife. I won’t use the word here. However, she seemed oblivious in a way, protected in an elite Jewish bubble in a way, had a lack of selflessness that most parents and spouses have - she was going to do what she wanted to do regardless of the consequences because in her ‘protected bubble’ SHE COULD. I found Lacey‘s mother insufferable at times and detached from the real world. I found her Father equally detached and aloof and not really wanting to deal with the pain of lies and probably the biggest was lying to himself and accepting his farce of a marriage.

Really provocative documentary.

Memogs

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,213 599 274
Alleybux
I thought the documentary was excellent, but some of the narrative didn’t pass the sniff test for me. Most importantly was when Lacey went to Harvard and decided to embrace being blackish. No way that she just aimlessly decided to do that because of questions asked during enrollment. Conversations were had, allusions and all that, but I think she packaged it that way to form the documentary. No way she graduated from high school and was off to college with absolutely no idea she might be part black. I think there was a lot of cognitive dissonance going on with her and her mother. I also believe the father was closeted and their xes life was probably non existent.

Lacey’s mother reminded me of how my former Jewish professor categorized his wife. I won’t use the word here. However, she seemed oblivious in a way, protected in an elite Jewish bubble in a way, had a lack of selflessness that most parents and spouses have - she was going to do what she wanted to do regardless of the consequences because in her ‘protected bubble’ SHE COULD. I found Lacey‘s mother insufferable at times and detached from the real world. I found her Father equally detached and aloof and not really wanting to deal with the pain of lies and probably the biggest was lying to himself and accepting his farce of a marriage.

Really provocative documentary.
Yes, she told us a version of the story but I doubt it was the whole truth. The fact that her birth father was known as a family friend, and came to family event. All made it dubious, and her mom was devastated at his death. The family was ready to accept the lie, as long as the mom didn't embarrass by marrying a light skin black man from the hood.

Karisma2005

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
158,582 3,594 765
Alleybux
Watching now and this is so dumb. How did this go on so long? The family friend saying she had a “yellow tinge” as a newborn was the funniest shh ever.

theprettymiss

“Beacon of Light”
Reaction score
Reactions
255,888 10,531 820
Alleybux
Yeah the documentary was really good..but def had alot of holes.

Funny how she went from not being “good enough” in her white jewish circles to put on a Biracial pedestal in the Black circles, lol.

Aint no way as a kid, nobody knew she was biracial. Im sure she got dark AF in the summer, lol.

I did feel bad for her father though as she was his only child I believe. Her mama wasnt sh!t.

myshugashuga

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
172,940 5,556 1,100
Alleybux
And now Lacey's the Second Lady of New York State. Her husband's Antonio Delgado, NYS Lieutenant Governor.

View attachment 4510599
Wait. I just saw the documentary. The guy in the documentary turned out to be Hochul's Lieutenant Governor? The one who is under investigation for corruption? Well, I'll be....