Quantcast

Laptop-Computer Geeks....Need Your Opinions!

Philosophia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
12,675 200 175
Alleybux
Ok... here's the deal... I've been researching new laptop possibilities and have been met with a number of mindbending questions, so if y'all can give me your experienced, professional opinions on these bulleted questions, it sure would help a sista out....Oh... thanks in advance.... PEACE!!

a. What are currently the most durable/reliable brands?

b. I've been reading that even for those seeking business-style laptops, that gaming computers can still be more advantageous because on top of doing what business laptops are designed to do, they are generally better at graphics, speed, etc. Is this true?

c. I've been looking into laptops that have BOTH SSD drives and HD drives. They are still rare on the market and can be costly depending on what other features/specs are offered. I found one that has a 512 SSD drive but no HD drive. As a potential alternative, can I purchase a 4 or 5 tb external hard drive to complement it?... I mean to essentially make up for the missing internal hard drive, would the 4/5 tb external drive work with the 512 SSD harmoniously to make up for what the missing internal drive would have offered? What are any pros or cons and limitations?

I may have more questions later... again... THANKS!

Hanzu

星孩
Reaction score
Reactions
29,855 3,588 1,218
Alleybux
In my experience Xiaomi and MSI are the best brands.
A gaming laptop is much better than a business one cause they usually come with better graphics, memory, and have a much faster speed as well as larger storage.
I don’t think a 4 or 5 tb external hard drive will interfere to much with the 552 SSD. It should work fine.
HD drives are not that reliable these days anyway so you shouldn’t be missing out on much.

Belleofthesouth

Member of the Rich Bougie Auntie’s Club
Reaction score
Reactions
155,421 7,165 1,510
Alleybux
I recommend Lenovo for business laptops. Most of the developers I know develop using Lenovo laptops. If you purchase the support their depot is top notch. I use it for both business and personal.

I have a Lenovo laptop that is over 6 years old and besides the windows update issues I’ve had no problems with it.

Philosophia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
12,675 200 175
Alleybux
In my experience Xiaomi and MSI are the best brands.
A gaming laptop is much better than a business one cause they usually come with better graphics, memory, and have a much faster speed as well as larger storage.
I don’t think a 4 or 5 tb external hard drive will interfere to much with the 552 SSD. It should work fine.
HD drives are not that reliable these days anyway so you shouldn’t be missing out on much.
Those brands are a bit above my budget, but they do bring to mind another concern expressed in my research out there. They, along with Lenovo, are Chinese brands; I'm not opposed to purchasing them for their nationalistic origin, but there've been concerns expressed about spyware. Have you had any problems or known of anyone who has. What are your views about HP?
As for the HD issue, I want the extra backup and read that although SSDs are superior in terms of power and performance, their archival potential in terms of long-term storage is poor. I could find something with both the internal ssd and an internal hd (up to 1tb even), but if an external hard drive can be a workable solution when an internal hd is lacking, it might make more sense to do that.

Thanks for sharing.

Philosophia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
12,675 200 175
Alleybux
I recommend Lenovo for business laptops. Most of the developers I know develop using Lenovo laptops. If you purchase the support their depot is top notch. I use it for both business and personal.

I have a Lenovo laptop that is over 6 years old and besides the windows update issues I’ve had no problems with it.
What are your views on HP? Thanks! Also did you purchase an extended warranty or just support?

Belleofthesouth

Member of the Rich Bougie Auntie’s Club
Reaction score
Reactions
155,421 7,165 1,510
Alleybux
What are your views on HP? Thanks! Also did you purchase an extended warranty or just support?
I absolutely hate HPs. There is a reason they sell some of the cheaper lower end models. The hdd failures I’ve seen on their systems is crazy. They make crappy machines. Unless you are going for their higher end models don’t waste your money.

Hanzu

星孩
Reaction score
Reactions
29,855 3,588 1,218
Alleybux
Those brands are a bit above my budget, but they do bring to mind another concern expressed in my research out there. They, along with Lenovo, are Chinese brands; I'm not opposed to purchasing them for their nationalistic origin, but there've been concerns expressed about spyware. Have you had any problems or known of anyone who has. What are your views about HP?
As for the HD issue, I want the extra backup and read that although SSDs are superior in terms of power and performance, their archival potential in terms of long-term storage is poor. I could find something with both the internal ssd and an internal hd (up to 1tb even), but if an external hard drive can be a workable solution when an internal hd is lacking, it might make more sense to do that.

Thanks for sharing.
I understand the budget part. They can be quite expensive but are worth it in the long run. I believe they usually last up to 6 to 8 years before wearing down. I have used MSI and Xiaomi for awhile now(5 years) and have not encountered problems. (Considering I am from China) I am positive that there is no spyware in these brands. I have never heard of HP so I can’t have an opinion. I see where you are coming from regarding hard drive and I agree that your idea makes sense.

Last edited: