Quantcast

Ld31-5 maternal haplogroup

Curtprice75

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,803 262 190
Alleybux
Does anyone have any insight on this maternal haplogroup? From what I've seen about it, it's of East African, Bantu origins but I want more understanding of it so any insight into this would be great.

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,733 2,681 178
Alleybux
I don't unfortunately but I do have a map that tells which countries it might be occuring most frequently in.

41598_2015_Article_BFsrep12526_Fig4_HTML.jpg

It looks like Namibia near South Africa is where it's most common but it also occurs throughout the continent in smaller percentages.

Last edited:

Curtprice75

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,803 262 190
Alleybux
I don't unfortunately but I do have a map that tells which countries it might be occuring most frequently in.

It looks like Namibia near South Africa is where it's most common but it also occurs throughout the continent in smaller percentages.

Thank you. It looks like they're spread out all of the Continent. That makes me more curious about where my first woman ancestor was originally from before the TAST.

ETA: When I see my 1st pair of chromosome painting, I see that the first segment is of "Senegambian and Guinea" according to 23andme. I wonder if that's a clue. @Surreal, if you have insights too that would be appreciated also.

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,733 2,681 178
Alleybux

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,733 2,681 178
Alleybux
Does anyone have any insight on this maternal haplogroup? From what I've seen about it, it's of East African, Bantu origins but I want more understanding of it so any insight into this would be great.

FTDNA has an L3 project group and results are pretty interesting. You can look through the columns for any similarities in ancestor names, locations, etc... It is interesting how many countries can trace their lineage back to your haplogroup. Here is the link. My phone is small and crappy and says there are 28 pages total of results but you probably have a better phone and it won't take you long to get to the L3d section. Just look up at the top at the haplogroup column and keep scrolling/turning pages until you get to yours at L3d

FamilyTreeDNA - The L3 mtDNA Project

Also interesting is the list of surnames that people who share L3 have

FamilyTreeDNA - Genetic Testing for Ancestry, Family History & Genealogy

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,946 10,157 3,355
Alleybux

It also occurs across the Middle East. If you break it down into the subclades it gets even more restrictive and honestly confusing.

For example, mine is L3d1a1a. From my research the known samples have only been recorded in large numbers in Kenya and Madagascar. Interestingly enough it also turns up in Bahrain, Kuwait, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Yemen. Among the diaspora it turns up in mostly African Americans (at least we are the ones in the diaspora actively getting tested).

Shy Vy

Shy
Reaction score
Reactions
81,733 2,681 178
Alleybux
It also occurs across the Middle East. If you break it down into the subclades it gets even more restrictive and honestly confusing.

For example, mine is L3d1a1a. From my research the known samples have only been recorded in large numbers in Kenya and Madagascar. Interestingly enough it also turns up in Bahrain, Kuwait, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Yemen. Among the diaspora it turns up in mostly African Americans (at least we are the ones in the diaspora actively getting tested).

Welcome back, sis! Missed you around these parts :)

65ef5df50215c7fca8dd5b39dfa514a5.gif

ETA: I'll tag @Curtprice75 so he can see your info about your shared haplogroup

Curtprice75

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,803 262 190
Alleybux

Great post and thank you for this information. From what I've learned of L3(Our maternal ancestor) is that there was an "Out of Africa" expansion where Haplogroups M and N began or rather have their roots from before going to Europe and Asia. But in our case, ours is primarily African origins and since our specific haplogroups are actually common among us(Pre Civil War Black Population Descendants), I assume that my maternal haplogroup ancestor is West African. L3 also went through a Bantu migration from East and Central Africa. It's sort of similar to the A haplogroup that became E from DE to e-m180 to E-u290 wrt Y-DNA in my case. That's Bantu Speaker migrations into Niger/Congo speakers. But I haven't been able to confirm both my parental and maternal ancestors are specifically from there yet.

Mariahs Chariot

Not On The Show No Mo’
Reaction score
Reactions
223,946 10,157 3,355
Alleybux
Great post and thank you for this information. From what I've learned of L3(Our maternal ancestor) is that there was an "Out of Africa" expansion where Haplogroups M and N began or rather have their roots from before going to Europe and Asia. But in our case, ours is primarily African origins and since our specific haplogroups are actually common among us(Pre Civil War Black Population Descendants), I assume that my maternal haplogroup ancestor is West African. L3 also went through a Bantu migration from East and Central Africa. It's sort of similar to the A haplogroup that became E from DE to e-m180 to E-u290 wrt Y-DNA in my case. That's Bantu Speaker migrations into Niger/Congo speakers. But I haven't been able to confirm both my parental and maternal ancestors are specifically from there yet.

What is your L3d sub-clade? I’ve learned that there can be great distances between origins and dispersion within each clade. For example L3d1a1a has rarely turned up in West Africa save for 1 or 2 samples found in Nigeria, but L3d1a1 could be widely represented in Guinea or Senegambia (I’m just throwing this out as an example, it may not be the case) with little to no representation in East Africa.

Another example, my father’s Y-DNA is B-??? (I don’t remember the numbers). B haplos are pretty common in both West and East Africa, but his particuar sub-clade has only turned up in samples from Burkina Faso and a small number of samples from Mali and maybe Togo.

Curtprice75

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,803 262 190
Alleybux
What is your L3d sub-clade? I’ve learned that there can be great distances between origins and dispersion within each clade. For example L3d1a1a has rarely turned up in West Africa save for 1 or 2 samples found in Nigeria, but L3d1a1 could be widely represented in Guinea or Senegambia (I’m just throwing this out as an example, it may not be the case) with little to no representation in East Africa.

Another example, my father’s Y-DNA is B-??? (I don’t remember the numbers). B haplos are pretty common in both West and East Africa, but his particuar sub-clade has only turned up in samples from Burkina Faso and a small number of samples from Mali and maybe Togo.

Mine is L3D1-5. That's why I made this thread for that reason because I'm researching this for me.

ETA: In my chromosome painting, the first segment of "ethnicity" in my first X chromosome pairing was from "Senegambian and Guinea."

Last edited:

The Culture

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom