Quantcast

Lead Singer "LaToya McMoore-Gordon" of Forgotten 90's R&B Girl Group "Voices" Speaks

Who Stood Out Most in the Group!?

• LaToya McMoore

Votes: 26 60.5%
  • Monique Wilson

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Tia Mowry

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Arike Rice

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Tamera Mowry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LaPetra McMoore

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

SaintofSaint

{Think Positive}
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 3,465 1,317
Alleybux
LaToya McMoore Gordon.jpg

"LaToya McMoore-Gordon" of Forgotten 90's R&B Girl Group "Voices" Speaks Up and Where They Are Today.

LaToya McMoore who was the lead singer from the 90's girl group Voices confirmed on social media not too long ago as of 2020 that Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry's mom Darlene Mowry removed her daughters from the girl group because she did not approve of the management at Zoo Entertainment. Tia and Tamera were already successful in commercials, they left the group and found success later in the 1994 TV series Sister, Sister.
Tia Mowry and Tamera Mowry mom Darlene Mowry.jpg

After Tia and Tamera left, they were replaced by Arike Rice and LaToya's twin sister LaPetra. In 1992 the girl group Voices released their first album.

The group was founded in 1989 in Los Angeles, California. The groups most successful song was "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah," other songs included "M.M.D.R.N.F. (My Mama Didn't Raise No Fool)" and "Cloudy with a Chance of Tears".

The voices debut song was that popular that even Destiny's Child who at the time went by the name Girls Tyme covered it and often used the song while training their vocals while training to become the next stars.

The voices' most biggest appearance was in the two-hour star studded musical tribute "Family Night," which was taped at UCLA's Royce Hall.

The group later disbanded because of issues with management and the label eventually folded.

Where They Are Today:
LaToya McMoore-Gordon LaPetra McMoore.jpg

LaToya McMoore and LaPetra McMoore

LaToya settled down and had children. Whereas her twin sister LaPetra became part of the LGBT+ community, according to LaPetra's "enGAYged" post on social media, which showed a ton of pride banners.

LaPetra McMoore Singer.jpg

LaPetra is happily married to a woman and she often trains at the gym. Through the years LaPetra enlisted in the Army reserve as part of the Hawaiian National Guard, and served in Iraq.

Her sister LaToya, talks about how the music industry had changed a great deal, and how she is chilling.

LaToya married Marc Gordon of R&B group LeVert. She also says that she still often does live musical performances. She worked at the M&M Cafe in Alabama up until they were forced to relocate in 2018. And she currently works in the catering business.

Monique Wilson Momo Wills Momo Wilson.jpg

Monique Wilson

Monique Wilson goes by the name Momo. She settled down and also had children. She moved to Hawaii.

She also became a INDIE singer, and also did a few song here and there. She worked at an Art Gallery from 1999 up until 2007.

Arike Rice Before Dark.jpg

Arike Omitola Rice

Arike started her career as a dancer. After leaving the group she became a model for the Cheetah Girls with her sister Jeni Li and Mia. The three of them would later go on to form the R&B girl group Before Dark.

Through the years she worked as a back-up dancer for Janet Jackson, Missy Elliot, Kayne West and the Black Eyed Peas.

She became a stylist. Most recently she worked as a Costumer on "Blackish" for 3 seasons, "The New Edition Story", "Real Husbands of Hollywood", and "The Perfect Match" Movie and currently as a Costumer Designer.

Her sister Jenifer Rice-Genzuk Henry is executive producer on the show Grown-ish.

In her own words, she has been singing professionally since the age of 10. Had two contracts with major labels, Zoo/BMG and RCA.

And is currently in the process of releasing a mixtape to reintroduce herself to the industry.

Below I will upload some group photos. They can't fit in this post.

SaintofSaint

{Think Positive}
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 3,465 1,317
Alleybux

The original group debut with Tia and Tamera, and those tacky costumes.

Voices:

LaToya, LaPetra Arike and Monique.

Voices R&B Girl Group 3.jpg

Voices R&B Girl Group 5.jpg

Voices R&B Girl Group 1.jpg

Voices R&B Girl Group 2.jpg

Voices R&B Girl Group 4.jpg

SaintofSaint

{Think Positive}
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 3,465 1,317
Alleybux
I loved them! I actually still have that CD. It was a well produced album for a kid group.

It's a wonderful song. The way the "yeahs" harmonize is the best part of the song. That "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" is quite iconic. I don't think I've heard a song like it before.

I can see why so many people who grew up then loved their first debut album. I was introduced to it not too long ago. And thought to myself, they could sing. It's a shame their label dropped and they all disbanded.

Their "Cloudy With a Chance of Tears" is a bop too.

And their MMDRNF reminds me of an early TLC song.

It's a shame that none of their other live performances on Soul Train or on TV exist. I would have liked to see how they adapted.

There's an interview from 1993 here: [SOURCE]

They look and sound a bit like a miniature version of En Vogue, but they're Voices.

Voices is a four-girl group put together in Los Angeles in the summer of 1991. Two deejays placed an ad looking for "7-to-14-year-old female singers/dancers in the L.A. area." Sisters La Petra McMoore, 10, and La Toya McMoore, 11, along with Monique Wilson, 12, and Arike Rice, 10, responded and won the jobs.

Now Voices has its first album out, also called "Voices," and the girls are on their way to the big time. And who do they most want to meet?

"Kris Kross!" La Petra and La Toya shout in unison. La Toya has her eyes set on Mack Daddy, 13, while La Petra favors Daddy Mack, 12. "We might even go on tour with them," La Toya notes, a plan that is in the works now.

The girls are also big into TLC and have already had career talks with En Vogue, Nancy Wilson and Dionne Warwick. The talented girls even sound like their idols, blending soul and gospel with funk and rap.

So what are these young maybe-superstars like? La Toya is funny and friendly and has the flair for fashion. "I do our makeup and am the stylist," she says. "I just try to be there for everybody."

Younger sister La Petra is athletic and pretty and has her brain set on being a doctor when her show biz days are done. "I'm kind of considered the tomboy of the group," she notes.

Oldest member Monique is flamboyant, onstage and off, and has a strong voice like that of a young Michael Jackson.

And Arike (whose name means "one who need only be seen to be loved" according to her West African heritage) is serious and dramatic but fun-loving.

But, of course, fun is what it's all about. "We just want to have a good time," La Petra says.

On and On and On and On...
Reaction score
Reactions
95,968 4,159 569
Alleybux
I remembered "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" and having the cassette tape but I didn't know Tia and Tamera were apart of it until I saw the video again after all those years. The lead singer had great control of her voice for a youngster, alot better than LSA's favorite at that age. I hope they are all doing well. The industry is something else. It takes a shred of talent, a bit of luck, the right timing and good management especially during that time it seems.

SaintofSaint

{Think Positive}
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 3,465 1,317
Alleybux
Okay, all of this is news to me, I didn't know Tia and Tamara could sing or that they were in a girl group!
tumblr_ndyozlnXG61r22ydao1_1280.png

It's probably because they were removed from the group by their mom Darlene Mowry.

After they left, the label had the group re-record "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" and removed Tia and Tamera's vocals, and replaced them with Arike's and LaPetra's.

En Vogue was like a sort of direct inspiration for the initial group. Weirdly enough Tia and Tamera were huge fans of En Vogue.

Tia and Tamera sang in many of their episodes. Tamera was more of a singer than Tia. But they excelled more at acting than singing and dancing.

Truer Words

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
34,742 1,112 298
Alleybux
Arike started her career as a dancer. After leaving the group she became a model for the Cheetah Girls with her sister Jeni Li and Mia. The three of them would later go on to form the R&B girl group Before Dark.

THAT SURE IS THEM!

I never put two and two together!!

51dJz-JkKLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Arike is the one in the back with the blue hat.

Also:
5861c0b493b14d63a97d094b88f55b52.jpg

Last edited:

Cookie202

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
140,688 2,201 690
Alleybux
I love "Yeah, Yeah,Yeah". The lead singer Latoya has to be one of the best child singers I've ever heard. Very talented.

Southernchic

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
317,400 10,643 3,127
Alleybux
I remember the group Before Dark that Arike was in. They had a single called “Monica” I had that single on cd as a radio station gave it to me. Those were the days.

SaintofSaint

{Think Positive}
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 3,465 1,317
Alleybux
I love "Yeah, Yeah,Yeah". The lead singer Latoya has to be one of the best child singers I've ever heard. Very talented.
Yeah her vocals are strong.

And to think within three years as of the talent contest during the 80's, they already replaced two members as soon as the early 90's hit.

Kind of reminds me of when Destiny's child replaced LaTavia and LeToya. It all goes down to the management.

If it never played out the way it did. Tia and Tamera may have never been the stars of Sister, Sister. Because they would have been busy singing. Can I imagine a world without Sister, Sister!? Nope. They paved the way for The Olsen Twins and the Sprouse Twins. :ROFLMAO:

LaToya McMoore Usher.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think LaToya McMoore did some kind of back up singing or dancing for Usher during the 90's or 2000's.

It Girl

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
43,633 1,042 574
Alleybux
I discovered this song a few years and still love it. I agree that Latoya had a great voice for a child that age.

luckygirl93

Caramel Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
407,752 21,358 16,214
Alleybux
I remember seeing their music video on bet some years ago. Tia and Tamera has some goofy looking faces when they were young, that’s all I see when I look at the group.

T H I E F S

A Person
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
124,410 8,683 13,079
Alleybux
I was a bit too old to be a fan when they first came out and I didnt take notice of them at all or remember them until "Sister, Sister" came out... When the show debuted my little sister screamed "It's the twins from Voices!!!!" and she became a huge fan of the show from that point.

I had to go check out the CD and I became a huge fan of "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" since then... such a great, romantic throwback tune. (I agree with the font above that T&T were pretty goofy looking and took some time to grow into their looks)

For some reason I always ended up confusing them with Before Dark in my mind... and thinking that LaToya was the one who ended up becoming a writer on Black-is and a showrunner on Grown-ish. It's interesting how many of these people ended up in tv, like the Asian chick from Pretty in Pink (another girl group from that era) became a writer-producer on shows like Spartacus, Dollhouse and Agents of SHIELD.

Honey B. Fly

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,100 296 47
Alleybux
I remember them and the cassette. But how did you find this updated info? Can you research this group, too?

SaintofSaint

{Think Positive}
Reaction score
Reactions
56,086 3,465 1,317
Alleybux
I remember them and the cassette. But how did you find this updated info? Can you research this group, too?

Well LaToya made her presence known. So I was able to find her with ease. It's more about what people share. If they don't share or pass on information, they are unfindable.

While looking them up, Arike Rice's resume stated what she is did recently, which was working as a backup-dancer / costume designer and she always wants to re-brand herself. If I remember clearly, she kept re-branding herself over the years. I recall looking at her resume 10 years ago. She was just a dancer back then. Now she is a costume designer too.

Arike Rice

And Monique hit someone up on social media a few years back and told what she was up to today. She's no longer known as Monique Wilson, she now goes by the name Momo Wills.

Da' Honeys.jpg

Da' Honeys? Iesha, Summer Joi, Porche' and Kelli? They retired from show business. They apparently still live in their home town of Detroit according to a source.
The Honeys.jpg

Another source says that they were known as "The Honeys" and were from Atlanta, Georgia and that consisted of members Iesha, Kelly, Porshe, and Sammie.

They have a then and now. A lot of them have settled down and had children. They haven't made their presence known. Which is a shame, a lot of these singers deserve "unsung" documentaries. To be remembered, people need to make their presence known. If not, they just go unnoticed.

That's another forgotten group just like the Voices. They had a notable hit, then disbanded.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,144 45 1
Alleybux

Finally, somebody else that remembers this group! They were the female response to Another Bad Creation. It was obvious from the start.

I also remember BWP being the female version of NWA. I don't know where they are now.

TNTJackson

Top notch hoes get the most, not the lesser
Reaction score
Reactions
109,686 2,659 794
Alleybux
He makes me say yeah yeah yeah! I only liked the song because I had the same snow globe from the video.

twinkletoes3

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Omg...yea yea yea and MMDRNF I played back to back on my cassette player. OP, you are my friend...

Turndwn4wat

Chilee... lol
Reaction score
Reactions
2,367 64 1
Alleybux
I remember asking Arike on ig (her public one not her private page) if that was her in the group Voices & also if that was her singing outside in this Chili's commercial hellas ago (lmao it was my favorite commercial) - me & my sister debated this for years lol

She never responded back :beatup lol

afroboho

#TeamMe
Reaction score
Reactions
200,383 6,174 9,664
Alleybux
I remember asking Arike on ig (her public one not her private page) if that was her in the group Voices & also if that was her singing outside in this Chili's commercial hellas ago (lmao it was my favorite commercial) - me & my sister debated this for years lol

She never responded back :beatup lol

it was her

Mellowsoul

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,403 318 103
Alleybux
I forgot all about this group and that song. I also never knew that Tia and Tamera were in the group. I used to love that song! This bring back such wonderful memories.