Votes: 22 52.4%

• Total voters

Caramelskin

80’s baby ❤️
Reaction score
Reactions
179,583 7,139 3,462
Alleybux
I’ve seen this movie probably about over a dozen times, and I was recently watching it again and thought to myself, both of them was playing games with each other.

images

200.gif

Nina-Going off to NY with the ex, throwing it in Darius face to see how he would react.

Darius-Hiding his true feelings for her to make himself look cooler to his friends.

Nina- Going out on dates with Wood just to get underneath Darius’s skin after seeing him out on a date. Then asking him if he thinks she slept with Wood when they got back together again.

Darius-Knowing dang on well he was still talking to Lisa but denying it because he was still pissed at Nina hanging out with Wood.

lj.jpg

Darius- Breaking it off with Nina because he got caught lying about his relationship with Lisa, only to see he truly wanted to be with Nina after finding out she was moving to NY.

JLg7.gif

Nina- Coming back to Chicago with hopes of finding Darius again.

This is what happens when people are not straight up with their feeling for one another from the beginning. Yes it’s only a movie, but this happens a lot in relationships.

Who do ya’ll think played the most games? Do you think there should had been a part 2?

MsSetGood

…she was a deep cognac color…
Reaction score
Reactions
91,985 2,588 93
Alleybux
I think they both played the most game but Nina getting with wood was just low down. Even if she didn’t sleep with him...first of all he’s not her type ans so immature. Also how would she feel if Darius got with her home girl.

they both were completely wrong in every scenario. And this movie could’ve been 20 mins long if they had just communicated.

also Nina couldn’t exactly be mad at Darius for dating another girl while she was gone. They both agreed they were just kicking it so why would he wait for her when she went to live with her ex fiancé in nyc.

Babies.on.Board

TrophyWife
Reaction score
Reactions
57,700 1,039 191
Alleybux
Going anywhere, and doing anything with his homeboy trumps it all, IMO. That’s a no-no, sis! I would’ve voted both equally, but bopping around with his homeboy, hitting blocks in a hearse, is a bigger issue for me.
D753AEBA-7B7D-4B03-8573-92335D4E0A18.gif

A.L.I.

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
126,774 2,278 784
Alleybux
Nina. From going out of town to hook back up with her ex to coming back and dating Darius' friend, Hollywood. Eww. Bill Bellamy was looking ugly in that movie too. She played herself and had the nerve to get mad that Darius started dating other women when she had left town.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
243,956 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
1. I don't hold it against any of them because putting yourself on the line like that is one of the scariest things ever.

2. Larenz and Nina were absolutely stunning onscreen together...so much that it hurts to look at them.

TruGemini

EyeWishUHeaven333
Reaction score
Reactions
44,093 437 109
Alleybux
I LOVE this movie. The cast, the scenery, the music etc..

Nina was dead wrong for kicking with Wood, she clearly did that because she saw Darius with ole girl at the bookstore. Wood was NOT her type.

Darius was clearly upset about Nina going to New York to see Marvin. But he didn't express that. At the same time you can't blame him from seeing that girl while she was gone.

They were both immature and playing games/not keeping it real.

Both were hurt from past relationships and unintentionally taking it out on each other. I loved when they finally dropped the façade and expressed their real feelings.

Diane Nash

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,183 1,012 111
Alleybux
Great thread OP. They were both playing games more so out of fear. Neither one was a vindictive person. I love this beautiful film as well. One of my absolute favorites.

LustNLuxury

Afro-American Princess <3
Reaction score
Reactions
497,624 11,251 1,828
Alleybux
They both played games but Nina going out with Wood trumped Darius.
Everything was even until then.

I really like this movie. I actually think it’s an accurate representation of “hook up” culture, except, they equally liked one another.

I like that the characters were normal people. No gang bangers, hella ghetto or hood people, no white washed people, and everyone was Black.
They were just a group of normal Black people. The biggest stereotype was that they were neo-soul types but even that wasn’t too extra.

The soundtrack>>>>

godiva

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,254 689 382
Alleybux
freaking flawless movie that showed just true raw passionate love and the problems associated with it.
I do not think that either of them played games to be honest. I think they were just afraid to reveal their true feelings to each other because their feelings were so strong and unlike anything they have ever experienced before, so they kept trying to play it off until they could not.
I was too young to appreciate this movie when it was first released, but the older I become the more it resonates with me.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
I’ve seen this movie probably about over a dozen times, and I was recently watching it again and thought to myself, both of them was playing games with each other.
Nina-Going off to NY with the ex, throwing it in Darius face to see how he would react.

Darius-Hiding his true feelings for her to make himself look cooler to his friends.

Nina- Going out on dates with Wood just to get underneath Darius’s skin after seeing him out on a date. Then asking him if he thinks she slept with Wood when they got back together again.

Darius-Knowing dang on well he was still talking to Lisa but denying it because he was still pissed at Nina hanging out with Wood.

Darius- Breaking it off with Nina because he got caught lying about his relationship with Lisa, only to see he truly wanted to be with Nina after finding out she was moving to NY.

Nina- Coming back to Chicago with hopes of finding Darius again.

This is what happens when people are not straight up with their feeling for one another from the beginning. Yes it’s only a movie, but this happens a lot in relationships.

Who do ya’ll think played the most games? Do you think there should had been a part 2?

What Nina did was MUCH WORSE than what Darius does.

Darius started dating another woman after Nina goes to NYC to be with her ex. The woman calls Darius at 5AM after he and Nina get back together. Darius snaps at Nina and tells her to leave if she doesn't trust him. Darius also wasn't upfront with his emotions for Nina.

Meanwhile: Nina tried to test Darius by seeing if he would tell her he didn't want her to go be with her ex, which she didn't completely spell out the purpose. Darius was in no-win situation where he wasn't in position to tell her no she couldn't go, but he didn't really want her to go. Nina could have admitted her feelings and hopes they could be in a relationship just as easily as Darius. It's easy to think if Nina doesn't go to NYC, there would be the natural progression. We don't know that Marvin and Nina were intimate from what the film shows us, but it's obvious she had been sleeping in the bed with Marvin when Marvin noticed she was gone from the bed when he woke up and saw the engagement ring on his finger; Marvin was also acting like they were back together.

Nina gets back to Chicago and DOES NOT CALL DARIUS! Why didn't she call Darius? Because she saw Darius on a date. AFTER SHE WENT TO NYC WITH HER EX. How long had Nina been back before she saw Darius out and about? Why didn't she call Darius as soon as she got settled at home? In what could be one of the most passive aggressive acts in the history of black cinema, Nina goes out with Darius' thirsty frenemy. Nina listened to Josie's bad advice once (test Darius); why would she listen to Josie again (Date Wood)? Why would you go out with your recent friends with benefits at worst, but more likely non-exclusive dating companion's friend? Wood was an ass, but he had a point; did Nina think Darius wasn't going to be a friends' get together? Nina didn't think to ask Wood, "Will Darius be there?" If you want to go deeper, Nina WANTED DARIUS TO SEE HER WITH WOOD. She played shocked, but that was almost vindictive if you think about it. Nina plays stupid, but she isn't dumb. Wood wanted to embarrass Darius; that's what he did early in the movie. They both got what they wanted out of that arrangement. Did Darius really do anything to deserve that?

We still don't know Darius' dynamic with Lisa. She called him at 5 AM; that's not a good time to be calling for creeping. Lisa might have been working for the publisher or something. She might have told him some dirt that she heard at her company for all we know. But Darius was a lot more upfront about Lisa than Nina was about Marvin or Hollywood.

Darius did get Nina to start smoking, and considering the science we have available, that's really messed up.

Last edited: