Let’s Talk CompTIA Certifications

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reactions
222,335 1,808 299
Alleybux
Hey everybody, I am currently in the process of studying for the Security+ certification (601). Has anybody taken any of these certifications? If so, how would you suggest studying for them?

I have been reading while taking notes, and I’m finding that I’m not retaining the information quite as well so I’m open for any and all tips.

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reactions
222,335 1,808 299
Alleybux
I understand what I’m reading because I’ve had some of it classes before so that part is easy to retain. For clarification, I would say I’m not retaining the information right now because it’s like I’m just reading for notes purposes instead of taking it in.

Also, since I’m a beginner in cyber security field what certs do you suggest I get since these are useless?

Moria Rose-Bluth
Reactions
11,837 150 58
Alleybux
Focus on testing yourself. There's a sec+ app and you can schedule when it will pop up and you tackle a few questions a day based on when you are testing.

James michael Stewart has a review guide with access to online practice questions and you can tailor how many questions/which chapters etc.

Find your weak points and practice, don't just read.

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reactions
222,335 1,808 299
Alleybux
Focus on testing yourself. There's a sec+ app and you can schedule when it will pop up and you tackle a few questions a day based on when you are testing.

James michael Stewart has a review guide with access to online practice questions and you can tailor how many questions/which chapters etc.

Find your weak points and practice, don't just read.

Thanks a lot! I have signed up for Professor Messer’s study sessions, and so far they have helped quite a bit.

Reactions
16,729 87 22
Alleybux
Security plus is mostly about what to do in situations. I would definitely try to find some old questions if you haven’t already. It definitely wasn’t a retention test, if you get my drift.

Reactions
16,729 87 22
Alleybux
I understand what I’m reading because I’ve had some of it classes before so that part is easy to retain. For clarification, I would say I’m not retaining the information right now because it’s like I’m just reading for notes purposes instead of taking it in.

Also, since I’m a beginner in cyber security field what certs do you suggest I get since these are useless?

Wouldn’t say useless, but there are some other ones that you can get. The biggest thing is to get certified, and get time under your belt. That field is broad, but depending on your specialty or interest, time is a big factor.
They want to see You as a consistent factor. It just regurgitating information.

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reactions
222,335 1,808 299
Alleybux
Wouldn’t say useless, but there are some other ones that you can get. The biggest thing is to get certified, and get time under your belt. That field is broad, but depending on your specialty or interest, time is a big factor.
They want to see You as a consistent factor. It just regurgitating information.

Okay thanks a bunch! I intend on getting more, but this is a start for now.

Reactions
16,729 87 22
Alleybux
Okay thanks a bunch! I intend on getting more, but this is a start for now.

Happy learning! It’s a rewarding field, and the need is greater than ever, especially for women!

fun fact, if you are hired on for network security for a company, make sure that they have a clause that allows you to be paid out for x amount of months(@ least a year) if they fire you. A lot of people don’t know that, and they don’t negotiate it into their contracts.

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reactions
222,335 1,808 299
Alleybux
Happy learning! It’s a rewarding field, and the need is greater than ever, especially for women!

fun fact, if you are hired on for network security for a company, make sure that they have a clause that allows you to be paid out for x amount of months(@ least a year) if they fire you. A lot of people don’t know that, and they don’t negotiate it into their contracts.

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your help, and thanks for that tip!

Reactions
1,385 3
Alleybux
I would suggest a accountable group or study group. Black Cybersecurity Association (BCA) has a discord group has a study group and a accountable group. It is for people taking it in June though. Good luck (y)

Reactions
1,523 56 23
Alleybux
Not getting these certs but my partner currently is! Please post updates of your process and outcome. I’m curious about how helpful these certs will be for career projection.

oh here go hell come
Reactions
23,737 68 23
Alleybux
If you aren't retaining the information, you probably don't actually understand what you are reading.

Also comptia certs useless.

I know a lot of people who got the Comptia to get their foot in the door with low level IT support positions. CCNA, MCSE, and Microsoft Azure are better, but the Comptia is okay if you're trying to transition into IT. I never got any certs from them, but I have studied for the prior 501 Sec+ a few years back before going to grad school for Cybersecurity.

I would only write off the Net+ and A+ if you're already in IT. The Sec+ is the best out of the three tbh and have actually helped people who are already in IT switch into IT security or obtain Security Gov. IT positions.

OP, the best way to study for these type of tests is to pair the book with a video series, and a nice outline based study guide.

Print out the test objectives for the sec+ test and make sure that you feel comfortable and knowledgeable about each topic on the objective list. It looks daunting because there's so much to study, but break it down to section and bite sizable chunks.

Along with the objective list, the book, and a video series (there is the popular free one on YT but its dry from Professor Messer for Sec+) there are video series for the test on Udemy, Pluralsight, etc) and the Professor Messer pdf notes you can order for $20-$30 from amazon that are very helpful as well.

With these types of tests you need at least 3 different types of study mediums. A book, a video series, and a good basic study guide in outline form, etc. should be enough. Its a lot but you have to prioritize and break it down to each section.

I like to study with flash cards to get the information down. You gonna need a LOT of note cards too. Break the note cards up for each section of the study guide as well.

Reactions
115,666 2,429 2,024
Alleybux
I know a lot of people who got the Comptia to get their foot in the door with low level IT support positions. CCNA, MCSE, and Microsoft Azure are better, but the Comptia is okay if you're trying to transition into IT. I never got any certs from them, but I have studied for the prior 501 Sec+ a few years back before going to grad school for Cybersecurity.

I would only write off the Net+ and A+ if you're already in IT. The Sec+ is the best out of the three tbh and have actually helped people who are already in IT switch into IT security or obtain Security Gov. IT positions.

OP, the best way to study for these type of tests is to pair the book with a video series, and a nice outline based study guide.

Print out the test objectives for the sec+ test and make sure that you feel comfortable and knowledgeable about each topic on the objective list. It looks daunting because there's so much to study, but break it down to section and bite sizable chunks.

Along with the objective list, the book, and a video series (there is the popular free one on YT but its dry from Professor Messer for Sec+) there are video series for the test on Udemy, Pluralsight, etc) and the Professor Messer pdf notes you can order for $20-$30 from amazon that are very helpful as well.

With these types of tests you need at least 3 different types of study mediums. A book, a video series, and a good basic study guide in outline form, etc. should be enough. Its a lot but you have to prioritize and break it down to each section.

I like to study with flash cards to get the information down. You gonna need a LOT of note cards too. Break the note cards up for each section of the study guide as well.

In cybersecurity which OP is interested in (I'm guessing she is in school for it) ... it's not really a certification that anyone is looking for outside of security plus and that's pretty much government. Comptia is really easy and you don't actually have to understand anything about IT to pass it. Depending on what OP is specializing in there are entry certs for her. Someone doing network security and software testing aren't interested in the same certs. Cybersecurity is a huge area and most IT related certifications aren't what someone is looking for in cyber.

Reactions
64 8 13
Alleybux
So I had 0 background in IT. Got a job in IT with no experience I just had to get my A+ and I got hired on. CompTIA certs are not useless. A Net+ can easily get you in the door making 30/hr with no real prior experience. I hate when people comment on things they don't know. I say go for the trifecta, A+ Net+ and Sec+. You can take them in whatever order but I think taking them in the order above is best. You can study on your own there are a ton of free resources Professor Messer being your top and best resource. Also remember CompTIA certs are vendor neutral so it's certainly not useless. IT is one of the few fields that you can enter into and make good money fast with no cap. Usually a cert can get you further than a degree in IT.

Reactions
2,032 176 81
Alleybux
So I had 0 background in IT. Got a job in IT with no experience I just had to get my A+ and I got hired on. CompTIA certs are not useless. A Net+ can easily get you in the door making 30/hr with no real prior experience. I hate when people comment on things they don't know. I say go for the trifecta, A+ Net+ and Sec+. You can take them in whatever order but I think taking them in the order above is best. You can study on your own there are a ton of free resources Professor Messer being your top and best resource. Also remember CompTIA certs are vendor neutral so it's certainly not useless. IT is one of the few fields that you can enter into and make good money fast with no cap. Usually a cert can get you further than a degree in IT.
So what books help you since you had no experience

The Lounge

Recent Posts

Dr Ian Smith Claims That A Black Talk Show Host Limits Appearances From Black People
Nothing wrong with trying to "be like" Oprah re: success and ad revenue. But linking with Weinstein when his allegedly behavior was an open...
Throwback - A Young H.E.R with Chris Brown backstage
Happy birthday Breezy. H.E.R. Has always been as cute as a button.
When Hoteptressing goes wrong...
They locs shouldn't be coming out, they have to be messing with their hair that lady sewed their hair together in order to start the wick process...
The Cambridge’s are starting a YouTube channel
I will definitely watch them. I used to find Kate boring but now I see that she was only intimidated and overwhelmed by her position and...
Joe Budden: I'll Name This Podcast Later
Parks was a fave in this thread. He fell off bad! He was ok with one lines here and there but he stared talking too much tbh.
Indians realizing the whites don’t care about them
Where's Prianka Chopra? Priyanka has actually been helping. She created a fundraiser called giveindia to help raise money for those affected...
Black French journalist held hostage by Jihadist Terrorist in Mali
In terms of the terrorist situation? Yes and overall if Mali is a failed state or close to it.
Are Non Binary Types Just a Bit Immature?
There was this older, middle aged person that used to come to the bar that I worked at and was friendly with who identified as "they/she". They...
Rebecca Silvera is dating Footballer Jerome Boateng
So did Nona make the big reveal or y’all still on here waiting for something that’s never gonna happen? Lmao JB and Rebecca aren’t going to get...
A man asked me what my love language is. I told him receiving gifts and he called me...
He was bent out of shape when I said receiving gifts, too. Went on some tirade about capitalism and said that I'm shallow for my response...
Top Bottom