Let’s Talk CompTIA Certifications

ImAPrettyGirl24

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
325,829 2,764 413
Alleybux
Hey everybody, I am currently in the process of studying for the Security+ certification (601). Has anybody taken any of these certifications? If so, how would you suggest studying for them?

I have been reading while taking notes, and I’m finding that I’m not retaining the information quite as well so I’m open for any and all tips.

ImAPrettyGirl24

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
325,829 2,764 413
Alleybux
I understand what I’m reading because I’ve had some of it classes before so that part is easy to retain. For clarification, I would say I’m not retaining the information right now because it’s like I’m just reading for notes purposes instead of taking it in.

Also, since I’m a beginner in cyber security field what certs do you suggest I get since these are useless?

KardiKi

Marketing Director of The Daily Punctilio
Reaction score
Reactions
20,754 361 91
Alleybux
Focus on testing yourself. There's a sec+ app and you can schedule when it will pop up and you tackle a few questions a day based on when you are testing.

James michael Stewart has a review guide with access to online practice questions and you can tailor how many questions/which chapters etc.

Find your weak points and practice, don't just read.

ImAPrettyGirl24

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
325,829 2,764 413
Alleybux
Focus on testing yourself. There's a sec+ app and you can schedule when it will pop up and you tackle a few questions a day based on when you are testing.

James michael Stewart has a review guide with access to online practice questions and you can tailor how many questions/which chapters etc.

Find your weak points and practice, don't just read.

Thanks a lot! I have signed up for Professor Messer’s study sessions, and so far they have helped quite a bit.

skimup1

lesbian extraordinaire
Reaction score
Reactions
62,673 1,382 584
Alleybux
Security plus is mostly about what to do in situations. I would definitely try to find some old questions if you haven’t already. It definitely wasn’t a retention test, if you get my drift.

skimup1

lesbian extraordinaire
Reaction score
Reactions
62,673 1,382 584
Alleybux
I understand what I’m reading because I’ve had some of it classes before so that part is easy to retain. For clarification, I would say I’m not retaining the information right now because it’s like I’m just reading for notes purposes instead of taking it in.

Also, since I’m a beginner in cyber security field what certs do you suggest I get since these are useless?

Wouldn’t say useless, but there are some other ones that you can get. The biggest thing is to get certified, and get time under your belt. That field is broad, but depending on your specialty or interest, time is a big factor.
They want to see You as a consistent factor. It just regurgitating information.

ImAPrettyGirl24

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
325,829 2,764 413
Alleybux
Wouldn’t say useless, but there are some other ones that you can get. The biggest thing is to get certified, and get time under your belt. That field is broad, but depending on your specialty or interest, time is a big factor.
They want to see You as a consistent factor. It just regurgitating information.

Okay thanks a bunch! I intend on getting more, but this is a start for now.

skimup1

lesbian extraordinaire
Reaction score
Reactions
62,673 1,382 584
Alleybux
Okay thanks a bunch! I intend on getting more, but this is a start for now.

Happy learning! It’s a rewarding field, and the need is greater than ever, especially for women!

fun fact, if you are hired on for network security for a company, make sure that they have a clause that allows you to be paid out for x amount of months(@ least a year) if they fire you. A lot of people don’t know that, and they don’t negotiate it into their contracts.

ImAPrettyGirl24

Fearless Fashionista
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
325,829 2,764 413
Alleybux
Happy learning! It’s a rewarding field, and the need is greater than ever, especially for women!

fun fact, if you are hired on for network security for a company, make sure that they have a clause that allows you to be paid out for x amount of months(@ least a year) if they fire you. A lot of people don’t know that, and they don’t negotiate it into their contracts.

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your help, and thanks for that tip!

Nackee

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,533 24
Alleybux
I would suggest a accountable group or study group. Black Cybersecurity Association (BCA) has a discord group has a study group and a accountable group. It is for people taking it in June though. Good luck (y)

LollyLoo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,812 670 493
Alleybux
Not getting these certs but my partner currently is! Please post updates of your process and outcome. I’m curious about how helpful these certs will be for career projection.

Sazzie

oh here go hell come
Reaction score
Reactions
34,158 421 137
Alleybux
If you aren't retaining the information, you probably don't actually understand what you are reading.

Also comptia certs useless.

I know a lot of people who got the Comptia to get their foot in the door with low level IT support positions. CCNA, MCSE, and Microsoft Azure are better, but the Comptia is okay if you're trying to transition into IT. I never got any certs from them, but I have studied for the prior 501 Sec+ a few years back before going to grad school for Cybersecurity.

I would only write off the Net+ and A+ if you're already in IT. The Sec+ is the best out of the three tbh and have actually helped people who are already in IT switch into IT security or obtain Security Gov. IT positions.

OP, the best way to study for these type of tests is to pair the book with a video series, and a nice outline based study guide.

Print out the test objectives for the sec+ test and make sure that you feel comfortable and knowledgeable about each topic on the objective list. It looks daunting because there's so much to study, but break it down to section and bite sizable chunks.

Along with the objective list, the book, and a video series (there is the popular free one on YT but its dry from Professor Messer for Sec+) there are video series for the test on Udemy, Pluralsight, etc) and the Professor Messer pdf notes you can order for $20-$30 from amazon that are very helpful as well.

With these types of tests you need at least 3 different types of study mediums. A book, a video series, and a good basic study guide in outline form, etc. should be enough. Its a lot but you have to prioritize and break it down to each section.

I like to study with flash cards to get the information down. You gonna need a LOT of note cards too. Break the note cards up for each section of the study guide as well.

Sazzie

oh here go hell come
Reaction score
Reactions
34,158 421 137
Alleybux
YERRRRRRRRRRr. I just have the Sec+(501) and CCNA

good luck
Old thread but, are you a network engineer? If so, how do you like it? After my masters, I want to get a CCNA and then a few in GIAC ($$$).

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,517 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
I know a lot of people who got the Comptia to get their foot in the door with low level IT support positions. CCNA, MCSE, and Microsoft Azure are better, but the Comptia is okay if you're trying to transition into IT. I never got any certs from them, but I have studied for the prior 501 Sec+ a few years back before going to grad school for Cybersecurity.

I would only write off the Net+ and A+ if you're already in IT. The Sec+ is the best out of the three tbh and have actually helped people who are already in IT switch into IT security or obtain Security Gov. IT positions.

OP, the best way to study for these type of tests is to pair the book with a video series, and a nice outline based study guide.

Print out the test objectives for the sec+ test and make sure that you feel comfortable and knowledgeable about each topic on the objective list. It looks daunting because there's so much to study, but break it down to section and bite sizable chunks.

Along with the objective list, the book, and a video series (there is the popular free one on YT but its dry from Professor Messer for Sec+) there are video series for the test on Udemy, Pluralsight, etc) and the Professor Messer pdf notes you can order for $20-$30 from amazon that are very helpful as well.

With these types of tests you need at least 3 different types of study mediums. A book, a video series, and a good basic study guide in outline form, etc. should be enough. Its a lot but you have to prioritize and break it down to each section.

I like to study with flash cards to get the information down. You gonna need a LOT of note cards too. Break the note cards up for each section of the study guide as well.

In cybersecurity which OP is interested in (I'm guessing she is in school for it) ... it's not really a certification that anyone is looking for outside of security plus and that's pretty much government. Comptia is really easy and you don't actually have to understand anything about IT to pass it. Depending on what OP is specializing in there are entry certs for her. Someone doing network security and software testing aren't interested in the same certs. Cybersecurity is a huge area and most IT related certifications aren't what someone is looking for in cyber.

FistJr

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,136 108 53
Alleybux
So I had 0 background in IT. Got a job in IT with no experience I just had to get my A+ and I got hired on. CompTIA certs are not useless. A Net+ can easily get you in the door making 30/hr with no real prior experience. I hate when people comment on things they don't know. I say go for the trifecta, A+ Net+ and Sec+. You can take them in whatever order but I think taking them in the order above is best. You can study on your own there are a ton of free resources Professor Messer being your top and best resource. Also remember CompTIA certs are vendor neutral so it's certainly not useless. IT is one of the few fields that you can enter into and make good money fast with no cap. Usually a cert can get you further than a degree in IT.

uunderstand

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,960 1,282 225
Alleybux
So I had 0 background in IT. Got a job in IT with no experience I just had to get my A+ and I got hired on. CompTIA certs are not useless. A Net+ can easily get you in the door making 30/hr with no real prior experience. I hate when people comment on things they don't know. I say go for the trifecta, A+ Net+ and Sec+. You can take them in whatever order but I think taking them in the order above is best. You can study on your own there are a ton of free resources Professor Messer being your top and best resource. Also remember CompTIA certs are vendor neutral so it's certainly not useless. IT is one of the few fields that you can enter into and make good money fast with no cap. Usually a cert can get you further than a degree in IT.
So what books help you since you had no experience

DamitasFetus

Damita jo>>>>>your fave
Reaction score
Reactions
38,306 1,345 1,385
Alleybux
So what books help you since you had no experience
I know this post is old but if your are still trying to pass go for Get Certified, Get Ahead. It includes everything you will need to pass. Read it front to back. I passed the 501 with the help of this book. I read it twice. There is a 601 version and im sure its just as good. I also suggest watch Jason Dion's Udemy courses and Professor Messor on Youtube.