Lightskin Aunt Viv thread #2482427346234

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,977 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
I never really paid attention to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air since I was a little too young for the show during its run, so I never truly understood how jarring the replacement Aunt Vivian was until just now. The show is on HBO Max and I've been binge watching it, and it's been a blast.

But y'all...

Lightskin Aunt Viv is... not a good fit. She doesn't have the charisma, likability, and she doesn't really seem like a good actress. Maybe I'll see her become more comfortable in the role as the season goes on, but for right now? I cannot see her pulling off some of the more heartfelt scenes between the Divas/her sisters, her relationship with Will, or this iconic moment:

200.gif

And was it impossible to find another brown or dark skinned actress? Her features being so different, down to the skin tone was really fµck!n dumb. If the show was airing today and pulled this sh!t, Twitter would be up in arms over colorist claims.

Anyway this is weird af. Every time she comes on the screen I'm like

tenor.gif

Sojourner Truth

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
251,706 6,262 4,396
Alleybux
She wasn’t as good as the OG Aunt Viv but she had her moments. Most of the time though, the replacement actors aren’t as good as the original.

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,615 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
She changed the whole tone of the show. It wasn't the same after the first Aunt Viv left.

It's like when they got the second Lionel on The Jeffersons. Don't get me wrong; he was a good kid and a fair enough actor. He just wasn't anything like the original and therefore he kind of gave the show a different vibe.

It's annoying when they recast actors that are so dramatically different.

Just put the original character on a bus to somewhere and bring in a replacement character--not actor playing the same character--that can stand on their own. Don't insult the viewer.

Meenah

~~~~~~Where The Money Reside~~~~~~
Reaction score
Reactions
243,229 3,811 906
Alleybux
She worked with what they gave her. The writers and producers diminished the role. They took Aunt Viv from an active parent and turned her into wall paper.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
I never really paid attention to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air since I was a little too young for the show during its run, so I never truly understood how jarring the replacement Aunt Vivian was until just now. The show is on HBO Max and I've been binge watching it, and it's been a blast.

But y'all...

Lightskin Aunt Viv is... not a good fit. She doesn't have the charisma, likability, and she doesn't really seem like a good actress. Maybe I'll see her become more comfortable in the role as the season goes on, but for right now? I cannot see her pulling off some of the more heartfelt scenes between the Divas/her sisters, her relationship with Will, or this iconic moment:

200.gif

The problem wasn’t the actor; the problem is they changed the character. Daphne Maxwell-Reid is a more subtle and stoic actress than Janet Hubert. Even so, I think if they had her play Viv as the college professor who was patient but stern, she could have done it. It's just that the producers and writers changed the character from Claire Huxtable to Carol Brady. That isn't the fault of the new actor to play the role. DMR was an established TV actor before Janet Hubert (though admittedly it seems many of DMR's role came opposite her husband).

And was it impossible to find another brown or dark skinned actress? Her features being so different, down to the skin tone was really fµck!n dumb. If the show was airing today and pulled this sh!t, Twitter would be up in arms over colorist claims.

Anyway this is weird af. Every time she comes on the screen I'm like

tenor.gif

This is the funny thing: Daphne Reid looks more like the kids (with the exception of Nicky - Ross Bagley) and the sisters (with the exception of Janice).

I wonder who else was up for the role. Daphne Reid didn't show any acting chops in her three seasons (never got the juicy dialogue like Janet Hubert when she explained how before getting her education she had to work as a janitor or when she roasted Will and Carlton about why she was hard on them in the Black History class), but I am curious who that was age appropriate and available for a TV series...

My first thought was Alfre Woodard. She was doing character work in a lot of movies though and probably would have never done a sitcom.
07newyorkfilm-item1-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Then there was Tina Lifford who did the show South Central the next year (who I see as the poor man's Alfre Woodard).
MV5BYTRiNTQwNDYtMDIyZS00ZGVmLWEyNWItNTBiNTEyZTZkYmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTk3MDYxNw@@._V1_.jpg

Sheryl Lee Ralph was just finishing up a recurring role on "Designing Women" but I would have hated her in the role of Aunt Viv because she's always extra.

MVA50041_757x.jpeg

But you know who might have been perfect to be a good actor and have at least a little continuity with the appearance?

Suzzanne Douglass. Two years before "The Parent 'Hood" and a year before Jason's Lyric and the Inkwell. She could have brought you the same qualities that Janet Hubert brought.

Suzzanne-Inkwell-04.jpg

Nevertheless, even if you had a more melanin rich actor to take over the part, the show's creative team still would have given crappy lines and plots that basically amounted to placating the baby and Phillip Banks.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
She changed the whole tone of the show. It wasn't the same after the first Aunt Viv left.

She didn't change the tone of the show. The show was never built around Aunt Viv. Its just that Aunt Viv was more of a presence as played by Janet Hubert than the character Daphne Maxwell-Reid played.

When Janet Hubert was on the show, Aunt Viv was still the last of the primary cast to get anything; she still got better than DMR, but every other character got more to do. As much as JH's Aunt Viv got some stand out moments, I don't know that she got more than Ashley or Geoffrey. I'd even say Jazz, as a recurring character, got more spotlight moments than Aunt Viv. Aunt Viv was definitely a calming presences, and she got some big moments that didn't happen when DMR took over the role, but the show was about Will and primarily his interactions with Uncle Phil and Carlton. That was the meat and potatoes of the series. Everybody else was supporting that, and evidently Janet Hubert didn't like that and that's why she ended up falling out with Will Smith and the producers of the show.

It's like when they got the second Lionel on The Jeffersons. Don't get me wrong; he was a good kid and a fair enough actor. He just wasn't anything like the original and therefore he kind of gave the show a different vibe.

The odd thing is whereas I think the difference in Aunt Viv's was behind the scenes oriented, I think the difference in Lionels was all about how the actors played them. I think they wrote the character the same when Damon Evans took over. It's just that Damon Evans was more chill than Mike Evans. Lionel was the key Jefferson's character when the family was on All in the Family because he was the connection to the Bunkers by being friends with Mike (Meathead) and Gloria. But the Jeffersons was built around the concept of a rich, black Archie Bunker. Lionel got shine on the show, but he was always a secondary character on the Jeffersons. Even in that first season with Mike Evans playing the role.

It's annoying when they recast actors that are so dramatically different.

Just put the original character on a bus to somewhere and bring in a replacement character--not actor playing the same character--that can stand on their own. Don't insult the viewer.

They try that often and it doesn't work any better than when they recast a role.

It's hit or miss either way if you lose a cast member.

Aunt Esther was a replacement for Aunt Ethel on Sanford and Son and now nobody remembers Aunt Ethel.

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,615 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
She worked with what they gave her. The writers and producers diminished the role. They took Aunt Viv from an active parent and turned her into wall paper.

I agree, the writers did her dirty. In one of the episodes her character even kind of made a passing reference about how her characterization changed the tone of the show.

The original Aunt Viv was smart, full of life and fire, and had a take-no-prisoners attitude. She was not above speaking her mind, and she made sure that everyone knew exactly how she felt about things.

The replacement was quiet, meek, and forgettable. She was just there. If I'm not mistaken, that episode where Ashley wanted to go to public school, new Aunt Viv was discussing the issue with Uncle Phil, and said something like, "I'm a college professor and you didn't even ask me what I think."

I was like, chile, that's because nobody remembers that you are a college professor.

The first Aunt Viv never would have let us forget she was a college professor because it was so much apart of her characterization. But also, the original Aunt Viv wouldn't have HAD to be asked her opinion on where Ashley went to school--she would have just given her opinion to Phil and that's that! Because that's how she was written.

The second Aunt Viv was just so toned down it was like she should have been in someone else's family.

Icon J Blige

#rebel
Reaction score
Reactions
53,609 5,053 9,230
Alleybux
Light skin aunt Viv looked the part of the mom, especially physically and her features. In relation to how the kids looked ESPECIALLY Hilary, she was more believable than dark skin Aunt Viv.

Dark skin Viv was a better actress, though.

They both served their purpose.

deep1

Serial Thanker
Reaction score
Reactions
161,621 5,572 5,243
Alleybux
I didn't mind her. There were plenty of other characters who carried the show, especially Carlton. I do agree she was more believable as the mom to the characters.

The original Aunt Viv didn't get along with producers, so she was gone. So tired of this topic. The one that gets me is when original Harriet was replaced by some lame version in Family Matters, that was worse to me because I loved Jo Marie Payton, she reminds me of my mother.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
I didn't mind her. There were plenty of other characters who carried the show, especially Carlton. I do agree she was more believable as the mom to the characters.

The original Aunt Viv didn't get along with producers, so she was gone. So tired of this topic. The one that gets me is when original Harriet was replaced by some lame version in Family Matters, that was worse to me because I loved Jo Marie Payton, she reminds me of my mother.
Jo Marie Payton left the show in the middle of what ended up being the final season.

She supposedly wanted to leave earlier but they convinced her to stay, but worked it out for half a season.

I guess they thought the character was too important to just let disappear like they did with Aunt Rachel (versus how they erased the Judy character from existence).

TNTJackson

Top notch hoes get the most, not the lesser
Reaction score
Reactions
109,685 2,659 794
Alleybux
What’s funny is Daphne was offered the role of Aunt Viv first and turned it down.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,041 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
On another note, I wish that they'd re-air Frank's Place so that the Daphne Maxwell-Reid slander can end once and for all. :arrogant

Contemporary

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
234,615 4,240 1,018
Alleybux
Light skin aunt Viv looked the part of the mom, especially physically and her features. In relation to how the kids looked ESPECIALLY Hilary, she was more believable than dark skin Aunt Viv.

Dark skin Viv was a better actress, though.

They both served their purpose.

LOL. This post hits close to home, though.

My sibling said they didn't appreciate new Aunt Viv because she looked too much like our mom.

And my dad always said I reminded him of Hillary. Not sure why; it's just how he felt.

So you may be on to something.

Second Aunt Viv may have seemed more like a mom to the kids, based strictly on phenotype.

MiyahLee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,227 8,764 8,257
Alleybux
I love 2nd Aunt viv. She was a great addition and the inky reasons why people constantly talk down to her is because she's lightskin.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
I love 2nd Aunt viv. She was a great addition and the inky reasons why people constantly talk down to her is because she's lightskin.

I think the issue is replacing a dark skinned actress with a light skinned actress is the bigger issue than the fact she is light skinned.

Its like the white powers that be think all black people look alike or something.

MiyahLee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,227 8,764 8,257
Alleybux
I think the issue is replacing a dark skinned actress with a light skinned actress is the bigger issue than the fact she is light skinned.

Its like the white powers that be think all black people look alike or something.
I know what the issue is but constantly putting down the 2nd aunt Viv isn't going to miraculously have the 1st aunt Viv play the last 3 seasons.

The second Aunt Viv isn't as bad as people try to pretend she is.

Bad Streets

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,744 8,085 1,876
Alleybux

Actually, that's not true. People, both Black and white have broken this down. Vivian Banks was written to be a strong character, she was written to be smart, motherly, stylish. She was written to be believable as somebody Will's mom would trust with his upbringing. Janet knocked all of those attributes out of the park and thus is the more memorable Vivian 30 years later.

Daphne's portrayal was much more passive. There were episodes in which Daphne's Viv didn't even appear. Will and Carlton would get into mischief for the entire episode, only to go home and get lectured by Uncle Phil and then head to the pool house with no sign of Daphne's Vivian anywhere.

Also, Imagine how Janet's Vivian would have reacted had Hillary told her that she was going to pose for Playboy (back when that was a VERY BIG DEAL). Daphne's Viv just played it off. Janet's Vivian would have lectured her into the ground.

The one that gets me is when original Harriet was replaced by some lame version in Family Matters, that was worse to me because I loved Jo Marie Payton, she reminds me of my mother.

Family Matters dragged on for a loooooooong time, keep in mind that Family Matters debuted in 1989 and was cancelled in 1998, for comparison Family Matters was still airing after Fresh Prince and Martin had reached their finales and both shows debuted after Family Matters.

Jo-Marie Payton has stated in recent interviews that she wanted to quit the show as much as 3 to 4 seasons earlier, so she worked out a deal with CBS after Family Matters moved over from ABC to do half of season 9. Family Matters was overwhelmingly stale by this time, what The Simpsons are today is what Family Matters back then. So it becomes a bit understanding as to why Jo-Marie wanted out but show should have had it's finale in 94 or 95, people were prepared to milk Family Matters into the 2000s at the rate they were going.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
Actually, that's not true. People, both Black and white have broken this down. Vivian Banks was written to be a strong character, she was written to be smart, motherly, stylish. She was written to be believable as somebody Will's mom would trust with his upbringing. Janet knocked all of those attributes out of the park and thus is the more memorable Vivian 30 years later.

Daphne's portrayal was much more passive. There were episodes in which Daphne's Viv didn't even appear. Will and Carlton would get into mischief for the entire episode, only to go home and get lectured by Uncle Phil and then head to the pool house with no sign of Daphne's Vivian anywhere.

Also, Imagine how Janet's Vivian would have reacted had Hillary told her that she was going to pose for Playboy (back when that was a VERY BIG DEAL). Daphne's Viv just played it off. Janet's Vivian would have lectured her into the ground.

Family Matters dragged on for a loooooooong time, keep in mind that Family Matters debuted in 1989 and was cancelled in 1998, for comparison Family Matters was still airing after Fresh Prince and Martin had reached their finales and both shows debuted after Family Matters.

Jo-Marie Payton has stated in recent interviews that she wanted to quit the show as much as 3 to 4 seasons earlier, so she worked out a deal with CBS after Family Matters moved over from ABC to do half of season 9. Family Matters was overwhelmingly stale by this time, what The Simpsons are today is what Family Matters back then. So it becomes a bit understanding as to why Jo-Marie wanted out but show should have had it's finale in 94 or 95, people were prepared to milk Family Matters into the 2000s at the rate they were going.

Shows can last a long time and have good quality.

It's just that Family Matters was never good quality. I'm not mad at that cast getting money while they can.

Family Matters started a couple months after Seinfeld and ended a couple months after Seinfeld. Murphy Brown started the year before both and ended in May 1998.

deep1

Serial Thanker
Reaction score
Reactions
161,621 5,572 5,243
Alleybux
Shows can last a long time and have good quality.

It's just that Family Matters was never good quality. I'm not mad at that cast getting money while they can.

Family Matters started a couple months after Seinfeld and ended a couple months after Seinfeld. Murphy Brown started the year before both and ended in May 1998.

Strongly disagree, Family Matters was a very high quality show,pretty creative and hilarious at the sametime. Just a matter of opinion.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
Strongly disagree, Family Matters was a very high quality show,pretty creative and hilarious at the sametime. Just a matter of opinion.
Family Matters was poorly acted, the scripts were cliched, and they didn’t find their way until they created a character who wasn’t part of the family.

It was a stupid show that entertained a lot of people. But every memorable plot the show ever did was a rehash of a plot on some other show or movie.

deep1

Serial Thanker
Reaction score
Reactions
161,621 5,572 5,243
Alleybux
Family Matters was poorly acted, the scripts were cliched, and they didn’t find their way until they created a character who wasn’t part of the family.

It was a stupid show that entertained a lot of people. But every memorable plot the show ever did was a rehash of a plot on some other show or movie.

Well we all have our opinions, again, strongly disagree. I mean it was a comedy, not meant to be some strictly serious show.

I do agree Jaleel White sparked up the show, he was a comedic genius in my opinion. Him, Reginald, Jo-marie, and the man who played Waldo made the show for me, with the mid seasons being the best.

It was a lot better than most of the shows today. Again, your opinion, I found the show even funnier and more entertaining than Fresh Prince.

RavenRenee

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
1,114 250 301
Alleybux
I think they would’ve done better with just writing the entire character out of the show. They could’ve said she divorced Phillip, got married and moved away.