Quantcast

London Police officer jailed for 2 years for breaking black man’s knee in ‘racial profiling’ assault during a cemetery visit with his sons

Maelin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,052 20,791 366
Alleybux

Met police officer is jailed for breaking innocent man's knee​

0_BOR1535-2021-Charlie-Harrison.jpg

A policeman broke an innocent black father's leg in front of his sons as they dropped flowers off at their mother's grave.

In what a judge yesterday called a 'clear case of racial profiling', PC Charlie Harrison kicked Carl Abrahams in the knee, causing a fracture that left him on crutches for three months.

Mr Abrahams would not have been approached had he been white, the judge said.

The father, in his 40s, said his teenage boys remain scared of police and fear they will be targeted because of the colour of their skin.

Jailing Harrison, 39, for two years and three months yesterday, judge Gregory Perrins said: 'This was a clear case of racial profiling. I am satisfied that had they have been white you would have driven by without disturbing them.'

Mr Abrahams, 47, was heading out of the cemetery with his children, aged 13 and 16, after placing flowers on the grave of his former partner in the early afternoon on New Year's Eve 2018.

Harrison pulled over in an unmarked patrol car, Southwark Crown Court in London heard.

The plain clothes officer, attached to Scotland Yard's Violent Crime Task Force, approached the family and used a 'leg sweep' to knock Mr Abrahams to the ground.

The court heard Harrison made no effort to identify himself as a police officer and threatened a passerby with arrest if they did not 'move along.'

Harrison and his colleagues had been searching for black suspects wanted for violent crimes in the area.

He later told police he approached the Abrahams family because 'you don't find drugs or weapons by remaining in your car', the court heard.

But Harrison had no grounds to arrest Mr Abrahams and his sons nor did he have a reason to stop and search the family, judge Perrins said.

48C5184F00000578-5336121-image-m-21_1517425809226.jpg

Judge Perrins

'They had done nothing wrong, they were simply a family on their way back from a graveyard,' he told the court. Mr Abrahams spent New Year's Eve in hospital with a fracture to the knee, which was placed in a cast, and had to use crutches to walk for three months.

He can no longer play any sport, and requires regular physiotherapy three years after the attack in Forest Gate, east London.

Judge Perrins said: 'He is still in pain today, can no longer play football and needs regular physiotherapy. He has had to give up sport as a result of the fracture.

'Even three years later his sons remain in fear of the police and worry they will be targeted because of the colour of their skin. Mr Abrahams believes the reason he was assaulted was (that) he was black.'

The judge told Harrison: 'Your actions severely undermine the trust placed in the police.'

Harrison had been convicted of grievous bodily harm following a majority verdict last month. Mr Abrahams reported the attack to the Independent Office of Police Conduct in January 2019 and the watchdog decided Scotland Yard should investigate the incident.

Harrison was charged with GBH in August 2019.

Commander Paul Betts said: 'This matter was subject to a thorough investigation by the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards and PC Harrison was charged and later convicted by a jury.

'His actions were found to have fallen well below the standard we expect of our police officers, with a man left badly injured. This type of behaviour has no place in our police service and undermines the confidence of the communities we are here to protect.'

Harrison has been suspended from duty and will be subject to police disciplinary proceedings, Commander Betts added.

Met police officer is jailed for breaking innocent man's knee

No institutional racism in the UK my ass.

IMG_9625.GIF

The guy is still employed as a police officer and may still be getting paid while he is suspened which is disgusting. I hope Mr Abrahams also files for compensation for him and his children.

FaCough

Get off my lawn. Don’t touch anything
Reaction score
Reactions
80,022 1,289 186
Alleybux
The article says jail for 2 years and 3 months. Where you get suspended with pay?

RedRuby1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,027 290 75
Alleybux
I heard about this story on the news but the story did not mention the race element at all.

karyn

Don’t do me y’all. Black Karyn since 2006
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
190,993 4,027 3,303
Alleybux
Someone needs to take a bat to that pigs knee and we can all move on. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking around what I feel would be appropriate justice for cops who use unjustified lethal force and my solution is they need to be maimed and/or lose their lives in the same way they maimed or made someone else lose theirs. No trial, just an equal sentence. THAT will stop these pieces of sh!t. That Chauvin? He needs to be sentenced to George Floyd’s brother standing on his neck for 10 minutes live on TV, and we can then all move on. If he lives, he can appeal another death sentence.

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux
Okay is the officer jailed or suspended?
He got jail for 2 years. Now when a police officer “has been convicted of an offence, or offences, which they consider is in connection with their service as a member of a police force” they can lose their pension through the pension forfeiture process.

However, the Courts have determined that an individual's pension may be forfeited by no more than 65% i.e. only contributions that have been made by the police force. The remainder reflects a member's own contributions which cannot be forfeited.

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux
He got jail for 2 years. Now when a police officer “has been convicted of an offence, or offences, which they consider is in connection with their service as a member of a police force” they can lose their pension through the pension forfeiture process.

However, the Courts have determined that an individual's pension may be forfeited by no more than 65% i.e. only contributions that have been made by the police force. The remainder reflects a member's own contributions which cannot be forfeited.
It’s likely that they will do something like this as his commander was quoted: “'His actions were found to have fallen well below the standard we expect of our police officers, with a man left badly injured. This type of behaviour has no place in our police service and undermines the confidence of the communities we are here to protect.'”
Harrison has been suspended from duty and will be subject to police disciplinary proceedings, Commander Betts added.

Dale Rick Nor

Crush and Crush Again
Reaction score
Reactions
197,541 6,360 6,710
Alleybux

Met police officer is jailed for breaking innocent man's knee​

A policeman broke an innocent black father's leg in front of his sons as they dropped flowers off at their mother's grave.

In what a judge yesterday called a 'clear case of racial profiling', PC Charlie Harrison kicked Carl Abrahams in the knee, causing a fracture that left him on crutches for three months.

Mr Abrahams would not have been approached had he been white, the judge said.

The father, in his 40s, said his teenage boys remain scared of police and fear they will be targeted because of the colour of their skin.

Jailing Harrison, 39, for two years and three months yesterday, judge Gregory Perrins said: 'This was a clear case of racial profiling. I am satisfied that had they have been white you would have driven by without disturbing them.'

Mr Abrahams, 47, was heading out of the cemetery with his children, aged 13 and 16, after placing flowers on the grave of his former partner in the early afternoon on New Year's Eve 2018.

Harrison pulled over in an unmarked patrol car, Southwark Crown Court in London heard.

The plain clothes officer, attached to Scotland Yard's Violent Crime Task Force, approached the family and used a 'leg sweep' to knock Mr Abrahams to the ground.

The court heard Harrison made no effort to identify himself as a police officer and threatened a passerby with arrest if they did not 'move along.'

Harrison and his colleagues had been searching for black suspects wanted for violent crimes in the area.

He later told police he approached the Abrahams family because 'you don't find drugs or weapons by remaining in your car', the court heard.

But Harrison had no grounds to arrest Mr Abrahams and his sons nor did he have a reason to stop and search the family, judge Perrins said.

Judge Perrins

'They had done nothing wrong, they were simply a family on their way back from a graveyard,' he told the court. Mr Abrahams spent New Year's Eve in hospital with a fracture to the knee, which was placed in a cast, and had to use crutches to walk for three months.

He can no longer play any sport, and requires regular physiotherapy three years after the attack in Forest Gate, east London.

Judge Perrins said: 'He is still in pain today, can no longer play football and needs regular physiotherapy. He has had to give up sport as a result of the fracture.

'Even three years later his sons remain in fear of the police and worry they will be targeted because of the colour of their skin. Mr Abrahams believes the reason he was assaulted was (that) he was black.'

The judge told Harrison: 'Your actions severely undermine the trust placed in the police.'

Harrison had been convicted of grievous bodily harm following a majority verdict last month. Mr Abrahams reported the attack to the Independent Office of Police Conduct in January 2019 and the watchdog decided Scotland Yard should investigate the incident.

Harrison was charged with GBH in August 2019.

Commander Paul Betts said: 'This matter was subject to a thorough investigation by the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards and PC Harrison was charged and later convicted by a jury.

'His actions were found to have fallen well below the standard we expect of our police officers, with a man left badly injured. This type of behaviour has no place in our police service and undermines the confidence of the communities we are here to protect.'

Met police officer is jailed for breaking innocent man's knee

No institutional racism in the UK my ass.

The guy is still employed as a police officer and may still be getting paid while he is suspened which is disgusting. I hope Mr Abrahams also files for compensation for him and his children.
What will be the excuses used by the right wing on this story?

chocolateTy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
291,299 7,673 6,914
Alleybux
Someone needs to take a bat to that pigs knee and we can all move on. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking around what I feel would be appropriate justice for cops who use unjustified lethal force and my solution is they need to be maimed and/or lose their lives in the same way they maimed or made someone else lose theirs. No trial, just an equal sentence. THAT will stop these pieces of sh!t. That Chauvin? He needs to be sentenced to George Floyd’s brother standing on his neck for 10 minutes live on TV, and we can then all move on. If he lives, he can appeal another death sentence.
I totally agree. All criminals should face the same manner of death or maiming as their victims. Enough of blaming everything on mental illness or "bad days."

Maelin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,052 20,791 366
Alleybux
The article says jail for 2 years and 3 months. Where you get suspended with pay?

He has been just sentenced. Technically he is still suspended from the force. But that doesn't mean he isn't getting paid hence why I said he MAY still be getting his pay. And there is no period regarding his suspension so it may be recent even though incident happened more than 2 years ago

What will be the excuses used by the right wing on this story?

They will simply do what they usually do and ignore anything that doesn't fit their narrative or will claim it is simply the exception case

I heard about this story on the news but the story did not mention the race element at all.

The Judge was very clear this was racially motivated but the Met Police make zero mention of it in their own reporting.

Officer jailed after man injured in Newham

QB2dd-.gif

You know it is bad when the Daily Heil are the first to call out the racial element.

Screen_Shot_2021-04-13_at_13.32.04.png

TrustKp

King's Condit's come-back
Reaction score
Reactions
21,314 836 448
Alleybux
I like Judge Perrins actually calling out the racist thuggery, which most judges don't do. The whole thing sounds shady. Unmarked police car. Harrison in plain clothes. In the beginning he never identified himself as police. How many times has he preyed on innocent black people and beaten them up?

papertigerH

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,757 373 12
Alleybux
Omg that must have been painful for that dad and those poor kids witnessing the attack. This “man” needs prison justice and feel the same kind of pain that he inflicted.

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux
He has been just sentenced. Technically he is still suspended from the force. But that doesn't mean he isn't getting paid hence why I said he MAY still be getting his pay. And there is no period regarding his suspension so it may be recent even though incident happened more than 2 years ago

They will simply do what they usually do and ignore anything that doesn't fit their narrative or will claim it is simply the exception case

The Judge was very clear this was racially motivated but the Met Police make zero mention of it in their own reporting.

Officer jailed after man injured in Newham

You know it is bad when the Daily Heil are the first to call out the racial element.
I get what you mean but looking back on other statements from the Met Police I saw that they’re always in that brief tone or rather only cite the reason for the investigation/sentencing and not the surrounding circumstances. And they do this regardless of the reason for sentencing...
Like this dude was let go for breaching the standards of professional behaviour in respect of fitness for duty and discreditable conduct: Serving officer dismissed following misconduct hearing
and there was a short statement for a dude who had kiddie pδrn but no need to cite that.

they only give further information and context when there was an investigation into someone’s behavior, like this guy whose use of a taser was questioned (nothing race related dude just seemed quite taser happy) Officer given final written warning after misconduct hearing
Or this guy who was investigated and then jailed for being part of a Nazi club: Serving Met officer convicted of terror offence
Or here when their was an investigation into police stops: Officer given management advice following conclusion of misconduct hearing

They’ve only given 7 statements on police officers jailed since starting to publish it online (if I counted correctly) in 2019. The sample base is super small but it seems that they give a brief statement when it’s an immediate dismissal from the force or jail sentence and more context when an investigation was performed beforehand or something like this.

I went through their archive because I wanted to see how they reported in other cases where officers were jailed and the ones where the guys had to go to jail were all pretty similar with the one notable exception of the Nazi dude because that’s a HUGE story.

I’m not sure if not mentioning the racial aspect the judge noted on their news site warrants criticism. and there was a short statement for a dude who had kiddie pδrn but no need to cite that.
I think the police can ONLY report the official sentence and nothing more and since he was charged with violence and not a hate crime that’s what they published.

The only indicator we get that this is a more serious issue for the police is that the commander makes a personal quote to say that the guy does not reflect the police force which is something he’s never done in any report beforehand.

Haha alright that was a lot of work..so what do you think?

karyn

Don’t do me y’all. Black Karyn since 2006
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
190,993 4,027 3,303
Alleybux
I totally agree. All criminals should face the same manner of death or maiming as their victims. Enough of blaming everything on mental illness or "bad days."

Thank you. No matter how “crazy” people want you to believe they are, they all understand pain and their desire to personally avoid it. I’ve just had enough of people killing and being violent for no reason. We need to take drastic measures to deter this sh!t.

Reaction score
Reactions
93,008 1,244 855
Alleybux
Good for this judge mentioning race as the motivating factor of this hate crime. This is what justice looks like. I'm glad the father didn't take any settlements if they were offered.

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux

This one.
Ahh that one....I get what you mean. Did you read the whole thing? Because holy f that’s a lot.
I only read from p 139 on when it’s about hate crimes as it relates to this issue here:

There were 76,070 race-related hate crimes recorded by police in England and Wales in 2019 to 2020, up 131% since 2011 to 2012.320 But according to the more robust Crime Survey of England and Wales (CSEW), racially motivated hate crimes went down from 149,000 (in the years ending March 2010 to March 2012) to 104,000 (in the years ending March 2018 to March 2020).321, 322 Whilst the decline is significant, the figures still show that a sizeable number of incidents take place. They equate to about 142 racially motivated hate crimes per day.
There is no number that is, or should be, acceptable to any civilised society. These incidents cause serious and lasting trauma in people’s lives. But we recognise that it is impossible to drive the overall figure down to zero – sadly certain types of people are what they are. That said, we can and must continue to make every endeavour to reduce this number to the absolute lowest possible. While the most common offence type of racially-motivated hate crime recorded by the
police in the year ending March 2020 was public order offences, such as graffiti or verbal abuse, there were also over 10,000 incidents of violence without injury and about 4,500 incidents of violence with injury.323
Hate crime is also more likely to be experienced by people from ethnic minorities. 1.1% of Asian people experienced a hate crime in the years ending March 2018 to March 2020, as did 1.1% of Black people,324 compared with 0.2% of White people. These figures are substantially less than the percentages of people experiencing crime in general (see Figure 11). FOR PIC PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT.
We should also note that hate crime is not just carried out by White people. The hate crime figures in England and Wales reveal an over-representation of Black people among perpetrators325. In 2019, 80% of those proceeded against for religiously or racially motivated hate crimes were White, 9% Black and 7% Asian.326 In the USA, FBI data shows an even bigger disproportionate representation327: of known hate crime offenders, 52.5% were White and 23.9% were Black or African American.328
Fear of hate crime among ethnic minority communities is also greater than its likelihood of occurring. The year ending March 2018 to March 2020 CSEW shows that 16% of Asian people and 13% of Black people were ‘very worried’ about being attacked because of their race or ethnicity.329
This perception reinforces the right of everyone to feel safe in their communities. Everyone, no matter their background, should be able to live their lives without fear of becoming a victim of a hate crime. As the data shows, this fear particularly impacts ethnic minority people, and could play a part in limiting integration between different communities, and stop individuals from being involved in wider society. There is no place for hate crime, and when it occurs, communities need to see action being taken to address it. In tandem, there needs to be consistent messaging about the prevalence of hate crime correcting the perceptions of ‘a rise in hate crime’. This can help to allay the fears of communities.”

So it’s interesting that luckily the racist incidents are not as high as one might think - but still too high obviously. 1,1% of people that experienced hate crime were black/British and 1,7% were Asian/British - I’m not sure if these numbers really warrant the idea that the country is super racist.

BUT my critique just from giving this a brief once over is: 1) interesting how they present the data as hate crime in relation to all crime - that changes the perspective than if you’d present for example the total number of racial incidence and tally it up by race. It’s just a different way to present something statistically and my suggestion would be more transparent
2) interesting how the report states it comes as a reaction to George Floyd etc. yet there’s no mention of racial incidences perpetrated by the police. i find that lack of information glaring and if they haven’t measured it in the past (I don’t know) then they should do so ASAP.
they don’t touch on this missing link for example saying that they didn’t have data on it and would start collecting or something, so that’s a definitively a weak point of the report.

not sure about the rest of the report and its strengths/weaknesses.
So I will reserve judgement if this police dude is a reflection of more than a racist individual...

Attachments

• 3A065898-58C1-4288-98F6-E72FCE22A18F.png
    3A065898-58C1-4288-98F6-E72FCE22A18F.png
    477.2 KB · Views: 20

tobenna2020

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,737 451 303
Alleybux
If the judge felt race was a factor why didn't he sentence the man with his chest. 2 years is light for GBH but adding in a hate element you ought to be at least doubling that, if not trebling.

baladar

genius lives only one story above madness....
Reaction score
Reactions
214,531 3,494 976
Alleybux
The Met.....................what a shock.......

Claim your psycho, Cressida Dick!

chocolateTy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
291,299 7,673 6,914
Alleybux
Ahh that one....I get what you mean. Did you read the whole thing? Because holy f that’s a lot.
I only read from p 139 on when it’s about hate crimes as it relates to this issue here:

There were 76,070 race-related hate crimes recorded by police in England and Wales in 2019 to 2020, up 131% since 2011 to 2012.320 But according to the more robust Crime Survey of England and Wales (CSEW), racially motivated hate crimes went down from 149,000 (in the years ending March 2010 to March 2012) to 104,000 (in the years ending March 2018 to March 2020).321, 322 Whilst the decline is significant, the figures still show that a sizeable number of incidents take place. They equate to about 142 racially motivated hate crimes per day.
There is no number that is, or should be, acceptable to any civilised society. These incidents cause serious and lasting trauma in people’s lives. But we recognise that it is impossible to drive the overall figure down to zero – sadly certain types of people are what they are. That said, we can and must continue to make every endeavour to reduce this number to the absolute lowest possible. While the most common offence type of racially-motivated hate crime recorded by the
police in the year ending March 2020 was public order offences, such as graffiti or verbal abuse, there were also over 10,000 incidents of violence without injury and about 4,500 incidents of violence with injury.323
Hate crime is also more likely to be experienced by people from ethnic minorities. 1.1% of Asian people experienced a hate crime in the years ending March 2018 to March 2020, as did 1.1% of Black people,324 compared with 0.2% of White people. These figures are substantially less than the percentages of people experiencing crime in general (see Figure 11). FOR PIC PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT.
We should also note that hate crime is not just carried out by White people. The hate crime figures in England and Wales reveal an over-representation of Black people among perpetrators325. In 2019, 80% of those proceeded against for religiously or racially motivated hate crimes were White, 9% Black and 7% Asian.326 In the USA, FBI data shows an even bigger disproportionate representation327: of known hate crime offenders, 52.5% were White and 23.9% were Black or African American.328
Fear of hate crime among ethnic minority communities is also greater than its likelihood of occurring. The year ending March 2018 to March 2020 CSEW shows that 16% of Asian people and 13% of Black people were ‘very worried’ about being attacked because of their race or ethnicity.329
This perception reinforces the right of everyone to feel safe in their communities. Everyone, no matter their background, should be able to live their lives without fear of becoming a victim of a hate crime. As the data shows, this fear particularly impacts ethnic minority people, and could play a part in limiting integration between different communities, and stop individuals from being involved in wider society. There is no place for hate crime, and when it occurs, communities need to see action being taken to address it. In tandem, there needs to be consistent messaging about the prevalence of hate crime correcting the perceptions of ‘a rise in hate crime’. This can help to allay the fears of communities.”

So it’s interesting that luckily the racist incidents are not as high as one might think - but still too high obviously. 1,1% of people that experienced hate crime were black/British and 1,7% were Asian/British - I’m not sure if these numbers really warrant the idea that the country is super racist.

BUT my critique just from giving this a brief once over is: 1) interesting how they present the data as hate crime in relation to all crime - that changes the perspective than if you’d present for example the total number of racial incidence and tally it up by race. It’s just a different way to present something statistically and my suggestion would be more transparent
2) interesting how the report states it comes as a reaction to George Floyd etc. yet there’s no mention of racial incidences perpetrated by the police. i find that lack of information glaring and if they haven’t measured it in the past (I don’t know) then they should do so ASAP.
they don’t touch on this missing link for example saying that they didn’t have data on it and would start collecting or something, so that’s a definitively a weak point of the report.

not sure about the rest of the report and its strengths/weaknesses.
So I will reserve judgement if this police dude is a reflection of more than a racist individual...
No I didn't read it at all. You asked about the report and I simply gave you the one. I'm in the U.S. and even though I empathize, we have our own race problems we need to focus on without seeming to criticize or critique other places. But, duly noted to your highlights.

Cranesinthesky

Sometimes I don't wanna feel those metal clouds
Reaction score
Reactions
415,298 15,602 5,029
Alleybux
NOT surprised. Didn’t we just learn that they allowed a Neo Nazi in the police force and didn’t realise it for like two years?

We are LUCKY our gun laws are different than in America.

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux
No I didn't read it at all. You asked about the report and I simply gave you the one. I'm in the U.S. and even though I empathize, we have our own race problems we need to focus on without seeming to criticize or critique other places. But, duly noted to your highlights.
No that was no critique, I was just wondering what you thought about it. I only read the chapter that corresponds to the issue above and these 2 points jumped out. Overall the situation was better than expected, especially because they count in online hate or hateful speech among racial crimes. I was positively surprised about that! People can experience racial “violence” in all kinds of form and if you don’t measure it you can’t form a plan to attack it. So given that inclusion I thought that the overall rate of racist incidents or violence was reasonably low. It’s not cool if someone uses racial slurs online, definitely not, but it also puts the number of 142 incidents/day into perspective. The number of violent incidents is thank good quite low. I also looked up how high the incident rate of violence while in police custody is and that is also quite low - so I hope, sincerely hope that violence by police officers based on racism is also low. From my point of view the situation in the UK doesn’t seem comparable to the issue in the US.

Ilikecats

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
8,015 155 60
Alleybux
Oh and I completely agree with you that we should try to evaluate without criticizing. Thank you for pointing it out - I try to do the same :) it’s a difficult subject in general as our experiences vary greatly and we can’t equate our own experiences with that of others: just because I haven’t experienced racism the way you have doesn’t mean your experiences are invalidated or that the way I experienced it makes it the norm for all cases. That’s where I think numbers and statistics are important because they help to set everything into perspective.
I think an issue we haven’t touched base on is that racial police violence is also less brutal if the police doesn’t carry guns, as 90% of Met police officer do (More than 90 percent of police in London don't carry guns. Here's why.)
The met police guy was clearly a psycho but imagine what someone like him could do with a gun? I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the type to first shoot and ask questions later...

RedRuby1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,027 290 75
Alleybux
If the judge felt race was a factor why didn't he sentence the man with his chest. 2 years is light for GBH but adding in a hate element you ought to be at least doubling that, if not trebling.

Good point. He may get our in a year for good behaviour. 4 years would gave been a better sentence.

PSCK

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,983 294 112
Alleybux
Only 2 years for GBH... racially aggravated at that? What a joke

Its the UK so wouldn't be surprised if he gets out early

tobenna2020

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,737 451 303
Alleybux
Only 2 years for GBH... racially aggravated at that? What a joke

Its the UK so wouldn't be surprised if he gets out early
He s defo getting out early, it's just a case of seeing if he even does a year. Joke sentence