Quantcast

London/UK fonts: Let's talk £50k+ careers

MargaeryTyrell

I Don't Want To Be A Queen. I Want To Be THE Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
I just realised this might get moved to the jobs/career section. Mods please don't, it would just get lost. This is specific to UK fonts.

I see a lot of people asking about how they can increase their money and what industries they can get into. People are often iffy about sharing their success/salaries. LSA is anon, so we should be able to speak freely.

I'm currently a digital PM for an agency, currently earning £80k no bonuses. I will be posting any job opportunities I come across for all levels. Please do the same, let's support our community in the professional field!

I started off as a PM in a digital space, learnt how to code, was a software engineer for almost two years, then I went back into PM work.

Tools I used to learn coding:

Free
Udemy, YouTube, Freecodecamp, CodeFirstGirls

Pricey

Makers , General Assembly

It is hard to break into the industry, but it's best to look out for grad schemes, if you don't have a degree then apprenticeships are the way to go.

Other areas that have good earning potential is consulting, usually it's roughly £30k as a starting salary(some places have signing bonuses as well), but it can go to £50k within 2-3 years depending on how you network.

Good options: Capgemini, Deloitte, Accenture

Banking is also a good option, you need a degree for this one but don't necessarily need a finance/maths degree(although it helps).

Feel free to add your piece and share info, especially for areas outside London. I don't know much about those areas.

Feel free to ask me anything about my career journey.

Last edited:

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
OPPORTUNITY

Area: Consulting/Tech

Accenture has a good apprenticeship for non-grads right now, closing date 30th April

They have openings for areas outside London as well.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
OPPORTUNITY

Grad Scheme, degree in any subject but must have an interest in tech

Degree in Business, Economics or a technically focused subject such as Computer Science

Marketing grad scheme, degree in any subject. Must be passionate about tech

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
I just realised this might get moved to the jobs/career section. Mods please don't, it would just get lost. This is specific to UK fonts.

Mirabilia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,273 3,866 2,272
Alleybux
I'm in science, not making £50k, but mid 30s. Quite happy with everything as I'm not yet 25 and have been very successful so far. And have great portfolio in crypto. I have so many ideas, but they require programming skills, which I am brand new to, but this field is so vast and wide.

I wanted to add that if you're going into Biomedical Sciences, learn programming. Learn python or bioinformatics. My employer is now requiring it and am in training for NexGen tech, which requires python. I'm using Udemy, which is awesome!

I also noticed something. There is a HUGE gap between bioengineers and doctors. These bioengineers, especially in deep learning could be making BANK, but they have very limited clinical experience and knowledge of what the patients and doctors needed. Imagine the doctor who is A1 programmer? Don't miss out. The industry will eat up anyone in biomedical sciences with programming skills.

The industrial revolution has long ended. We're in the technological revolution and programming and data science will be required for many higher paying salary.

Let's collect those quids LSA.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
Will add more stuff later if I can be bothered lol. There's a few opportunities that caught my eye.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
I'm in science, not making £50k, but mid 30s. Quite happy with everything as I'm not yet 25 and have been very successful so far. And have great portfolio in crypto.

I wanted to add that if you're going into Biomedical Sciences, learn programming. Learn python or bioinformatics. My employer is now requiring it and am in training for NexGen tech, which requires python. I'm using Udemy, which is awesome!

The industrial revolution has long ended. We're in the technological revolution and programming and data science will be required for many higher paying salary.

Let's collect those quids LSA.

Thanks for this info! Mid 30 range is good for your age(and when you look at the national average!). You could make £50k easily with your next job if you wanted to. I always aim for a £10k jump when switching jobs. If I earn £50k I tell them I'm earning £60k and I'm looking for £65k. Remember folks, you are not legally required to tell them how much you earn. Give them a P46 instead of a P45 if they ask.

I used Udemy to learn too, great resource!

Mirabilia

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
95,273 3,866 2,272
Alleybux
Thanks for this info! Mid 30 range is good for your age(and when you look at the national average!). You could make £50k easily with your next job if you wanted to. I always aim for a £10k jump when switching jobs. If I earn £50k I tell them I'm earning £60k and I'm looking for £65k. Remember folks, you are not legally required to tell them how much you earn. Give them a P46 instead of a P45 if they ask.

I used Udemy to learn too, great resource!
THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!!!

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
Forgot to add, for consulting the Big 3 are the most coveted. That's Bain, Boston, McKinsey. Very hard to get into, but if you went to a top 10 uni, have strong academics, good extra curricular activities and an internship or two you have a chance!

There are still many other choices, the one I mentioned in my original post as well as EY, PwC, KPMG. All nice to have on your CV.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!!!
I'm a scammer lol. I'm 28, so I needed to stretch the truth to get my way.That's how I jumped from £40k> £70k> £80k from graduation to now( five year time span).

1617737658410.png

xcvvx

Guess who supports a child molestor? NICKI MINAJ
Reaction score
Reactions
6,924 406 170
Alleybux
I'm not passionate about tech at all and I have a bachelor of arts degree. Is this field still worth going into?

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
I have friends making 100k+ & bonuses, that's another option.

Project management in fintech is a money maker in London.

I should clarify when I comment I am speaking on London only.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
OPPORTUNITY

Degree in Business, Economics or a technically focused subject such as Computer Science

I should add these schemes have places all over the UK, not just London

xcvvx

Guess who supports a child molestor? NICKI MINAJ
Reaction score
Reactions
6,924 406 170
Alleybux
A

I see a lot of people asking about how they can increase their money and what industries they can get into. People are often iffy about sharing their success/salaries. LSA is anon, so we should be able to speak freely.

I'm currently a digital PM for an agency, currently earning £80k no bonuses. I will be posting any job opportunities I come across for all levels. Please do the same, let's support our community in the professional field!

I started off as a PM in a digital space, learnt how to code, was a software engineer for almost two years, then I went back into PM work.

Tools I used to learn coding:

Free
Udemy, YouTube, Freecodecamp, CodeFirstGirls

Pricey

Makers , General Assembly

It is hard to break into the industry, but it's best to look out for grad schemes, if you don't have a degree then apprenticeships are the way to go.

Other areas that have good earning potential is consulting, usually it's roughly £30k as a starting salary(some places have signing bonuses as well), but it can go to £50k within 2-3 years depending on how you network.

Good options: Capgemini, Deloitte, Accenture

Banking is also a good option, you need a degree for this one but don't necessarily need a finance/maths degree(although it helps).

Feel free to add your piece and share info, especially for areas outside London. I don't know much about those areas.

Feel free to ask me anything about my career journey.
Also could you post your job description? What does an "average" day look like for you?

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
I'm not passionate about tech at all and I have a bachelor of arts degree. Is this field still worth going into?
What do you want to do? What is important to you? Money or job fulfilment?

It is worth it if you want to make money and can give 3-4 years of your life to get that money. You don't necessarily need to be passionate about tech, but you do need to convince the recruiters that you are(aka lie). I can expand, but I want to know what your goals are? Have you started working? This thread is about making money £50k upwards. I can add creative job opportunities as well although most will not be paying that much. Probably £18k-25k.

LuxuriousDee

Team Owner
Time Out
Reaction score
Reactions
57,455 3,720 3,913
Alleybux
Thank you for this and congrats
If someone is in finance and or accounting, how do they cash in on the high paying tech roles?

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
A

Also could you post your job description? What does an "average" day look like for you?
An average day for me is:

- Check emails

- Morning stand up (basically really short meetings where everyone goes over what they did since we last spoke, what they'll do that day, as well as any issues they have encountered).

- Meeting with client

- Checking Jira and Monday boards (basically a digital to do list, so you can track all the project tasks) to see the work tech team have done, leave comments if necessary. Respond to comments from others.

- Test things that tech team have done, bring up any issues if I see any, green light their work if I don't.

- Check personal Trello board (basically a digital to do list)

- Email stuff with various teams (editorial, product manager, operations manager etc)

- Outside of daily stuff I regularly have to plan sprints, this is just a short period of time usually ten days to complete various tasks. I plan all the things that need to be done in that time depending on info I get from the client. I do this every 2 weeks roughly.

- Meeting with tech team, sometimes it's just once a week, sometimes more or less. Depends on the project.

- Make reports or presentations for clients or senior management

- Budgeting, which is just tracking the costs of projects, keeping note of any costs that came up etc.

Last edited:

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
OP Do you have any PM qualifications like Prince 2?

Yes, Prince 2 Agile foundation and practitioner. It's not necessary to break in to project management, but it helps once you have some experience. It can really influence a salary boost. Many top firms only want people with Prince 2 qualifications.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
Thank you for this and congrats
If someone is in finance and or accounting, how do they cash in on the high paying tech roles?

Get into fintech, if you work in finance or accounting you're half way there. Try and move to the tech department in your current company. Do some research to see what they are looking for and how it aligns with your skill set. Or jump to another company that is fintech or a bank/financial institution with a fintech department. It would be nice to learn some programming, nothing intense. Python, JavaScript or SQL would do, but if you're up for a challenge then Java or C#/C++ .

TheEqualizer

Greatness Only...
Reaction score
Reactions
34,185 5,428 16,604
Alleybux
LOL, a lot of you just tell porkies on this forum to boost your ego. Even if you're going to lie -- be well acquainted with the field you're lying about.

No one becomes a Software Engineer by just learning how to code. You need a degree in Software Engineering to become a Software Engineer -- it's a compulsory prerequisite. Software Engineer =/= Software Developer & programmer. A person who claimed to study a social science course can't wake up to become a Software Engineer overnight, lol.

And to get anywhere close to £80k as a PM anywhere in the UK -- you need at least 10 yrs experience.

LOL. Just a hack copy & paste job of different things with lies, without basic understanding of the field. SMH. There are too many weirdos on this forum. Just live in your truth. Keep fooling yourselves on the internet.

Dreameroflife

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,463 50 69
Alleybux
what about social workers?
Once your a locus social worker you can earn up to £50k per year or even more depending on how you negotiate and your experience. you can also do professional courses alongside this and work independently to boost your income, e.g best interest assessor or approved mental health professional (speaking from an adults perspective as that is what I am). It’s uncapped what you can earn but the work itself is loooooong

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
OPPORTUNITY

I should also add, you don't need to be a fresh out of uni grad. If you have 1-3 years experience. APPLY!

Bumblet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,580 1,880 204
Alleybux
I'm in marketing and events. If anyone has any tips to get over 50k that would be great.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
I'm in marketing and events. If anyone has any tips to get over 50k that would be great.
Get into digital marketing(if you aren't already). If you have SEO, Saleforce, CRM skills you can pull £50k-£60k. Learning some HTML, CSS will help (it's super easy). I know people at my agency making that much. Digital agencies are the way to go or big retail brands, they're always looking to improve their online presence.

I don't know much about events.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
Tech jobs are the future. That's where the real money is.
Yup, for now anyway. Get in now and gain experience so you're ahead of the herd. Certain areas will be oversaturated in the coming years.

Bumblet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,580 1,880 204
Alleybux
Get into digital marketing(if you aren't already). If you have SEO, Saleforce, CRM skills you can pull £50k-£60k. Learning some HTML, CSS will help (it's super easy). I know people at my agency making that much. Digital agencies are the way to go or big retail brands, they're always looking to improve their online presence.

I don't know much about events.

Thank you. I know a bit about each of those except CSS. I need more experience in all though so am working on it.

Last edited:

saywhatyouwant

Melaninaire
Reaction score
Reactions
124,570 5,835 617
Alleybux
LOL, a lot of you just tell porkies on this forum to boost your ego. Even if you're going to lie -- be well acquainted with the field you're lying about.

No one becomes a Software Engineer by just learning how to code. You need a degree in Software Engineering to become a Software Engineer -- it's a compulsory prerequisite. Software Engineer =/= Software Developer & programmer. A person who claimed to study a social science course can't wake up to become a Software Engineer overnight, lol.

And to get anywhere close to £80k as a PM anywhere in the UK -- you need at least 10 yrs experience.

LOL. Just a hack copy & paste job of different things with lies, without basic understanding of the field. SMH. There are too many weirdos on this forum. Just live in your truth. Keep fooling yourselves on the internet.

I know people who were earning £100k before they turned 30. It's not impossible. There are definitely jobs where you can earn upwards of £50k before 30.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
We do this across the pond too in Merica ..lol

Aint no shame in my game . A bih is fully employed
Sis! It's the only way. No way would I be earning what I earn now if I was truthful or stayed in the same company for too long. 2 years max, 3 if the pay and environment is right.

Use Glassdoor to be realistic, but don't be afraid to add 5-10k as your current salary. If you know how to sell yourself, you'll do fine.

MargaeryTyrell

Reaction score
Reactions
178,333 5,131 1,600
Alleybux
Thank you. I know a bit about those but need a bit about them all except CSS. I need more experience in all though so am working on it.
Great, as soon as you strengthen those skills and find a way to implement it at work (or lie that you do on your CV lol). You can score a £50k job. Sign up for elite recruitment agencies like Robert Half, they usually advertise jobs no less than £40k