John Michael's muse
Reaction score
Reactions
26,896 2,640 159
Alleybux
Yh_4CTypeImg-13-Tyra.jpg

662274983c2ad32af145c1df024f4f2c-c-hair-kinky-hair-736x550.jpg

original.jpg

ETA: All three ladies have lovely locks. What's funny?

Last edited:

Aunt Jackie

Serving up loose meat sandwiches
Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
Seems like your're making good progress.

If you can get to apl then getting to bsl will be easy as long as you have a good regimine. All around apl is nice and looks long and full too.
My hair is a bit weird and uneven. My longest strands are all at the nape of my neck. My hair in the middle, crown and sides where my ears/face is is not as long as the hair at the nape of my neck.

If ALL my hair was as long as the hair is at the nape of my neck, I think I would be happy.

Currently:
Nape of neck hair length - armpit
Length for the rest of my head - shoulders (which give me a voluminous tapered shoulder length twist out that has me feeling a bit conceited lol lol lol!!!!!)

So I guess my dream 4c hair length goal is armpit length for my sides and crown areas, not just where my neck line is. I probably would NOT even know what to do with bra strap or waist length hair!!

BossladyMAED

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,228 79 9
Alleybux
Seems like your're making good progress.

If you can get to apl then getting to bsl will be easy as long as you have a good regimine. All around apl is nice and looks long and full too.

Idk about that.

My hair has never really been longer than apl or below collar bone length. Ever.

I do think genetics plays a part in this.

I don't know what I would do with bsl hair anyway.....it would be just too much! lol

Aunt Jackie

Serving up loose meat sandwiches
Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
You may have to tweek your regimen but something tells me you could get to bsl. Have faith and do what you got to do to continue growing and retaining your progress. I know quite a few women who've said the same thing -- hair never grew below shoulders or collar bone -- and went on to have healthy bsl or wl hair.
Idk about that.

My hair has never really been longer than apl or below collar bone length. Ever.

I do think genetics plays a part in this.

I don't know what I would do with bsl hair anyway.....it would be just too much! lol

Last edited:

Krafty

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,053 7,013 9,249
Alleybux
Just thought I'd drop some channels I frequented when I first went natural with my 4c hair. HTH to love the beautiful crown we were given...

BlackOnyx77
BlakIzBeautyful
CentricSista
CharyJay
Chizi Duru
FusionofCultures
GirlsLoveYourCurls
GreenBeauty
Ijeoma Kola
kimmaytube
NaturallyTemi
OsaOsula_Beauty
Roothie Patootie
Tiajonay
westafricanbaby
Centricsista is beautiful. And it is her phenotype and image that should be the archetype of black womanhood. Her natural hair, skin, features is the symbol of pure blackness.

BecDrCurl

Becoming Doctor Curl
Reaction score
Reactions
231 1
Alleybux
I just posted a new video on how I maximize my hair growth in a protective style so I thought I’d share!

Here’s the video if anyone is interested!

Great for hair growth and most of these tips can be used even when your hair is not in a protective style as well!

LocaPorTi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,224 1,638 305
Alleybux
Beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!!! I’m going back to braids for the next few months to help with length retention. I did yet another mini chop last March after doing at-home highlights on my natural hair. I grew it back nicely with buns but I’m starting to get thinning where the bun is.

My hair thrives in large box braids in this thread definitely confirms that the ladies maintain long hair in loose twists or braids. Thanks for this thread!

Jackiefoxybrown

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,114 2,221 361
Alleybux
Beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!!! I’m going back to braids for the next few months to help with length retention. I did yet another mini chop last March after doing at-home highlights on my natural hair. I grew it back nicely with buns but I’m starting to get thinning where the bun is.

My hair thrives in large box braids in this thread definitely confirms that the ladies maintain long hair in loose twists or braids. Thanks for this thread!
Yes. These pictures serves as great motivation.
I have my hair in marley twists and I feel like they thrive better as opposed to having them in crotchet hairstyles. Just gotta use a leave in conditioner spray of your choice.

LocaPorTi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,224 1,638 305
Alleybux
Yes. These pictures serves as great motivation.
I have my hair in marley twists and I feel like they thrive better as opposed to having them in crotchet hairstyles. Just gotta use a leave in conditioner spray of your choice.

Which leave in do you recommend? I am worried about getting excessive buildup so I’ve been using main choice growth oil for my scalp each day but you’re right I need to take care of my ends.

Jackiefoxybrown

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,114 2,221 361
Alleybux
Which leave in do you recommend? I am worried about getting excessive buildup so I’ve been using main choice growth oil for my scalp each day but you’re right I need to take care of my ends.
Yes. I think the key to seeing your hair prosper when in a protective style is to keep the hair moisturized.
Maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable in nature hair can offer better advice, but for me build up is inevitable.
Especially if I'm using leave-in moisturizers and keep the braids in for a longer time.
I use Jane Carter Leave-in Spray. It's water based.
For that build up, I just gently washed my braids today using a generic shampoo, Ors deep conditioner, I don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I guess have to still condition.
I blowed dried it with low heat at a distance, so it does not just air dry with any type of odor that can be offensive.

I notice the build up that was visible and present to touch dissipated, which also should mean that during take down I won't deal with so much detangling that can lead to potential breakage.
How long have you had your protective style in so far?

LocaPorTi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
55,224 1,638 305
Alleybux
Yes. I think the key to seeing your hair prosper when in a protective style is to keep the hair moisturized.
Maybe someone else who is more knowledgeable in nature hair can offer better advice, but for me build up is inevitable.
Especially if I'm using leave-in moisturizers and keep the braids in for a longer time.
I use Jane Carter Leave-in Spray. It's water based.
For that build up, I just gently washed my braids today using a generic shampoo, Ors deep conditioner, I don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I guess have to still condition.
I blowed dried it with low heat at a distance, so it does not just air dry with any type of odor that can be offensive.

I notice the build up that was visible and present to touch dissipated, which also should mean that during take down I won't deal with so much detangling that can lead to potential breakage.
How long have you had your protective style in so far?
Thank you so much sis!
I’m going on week two. Next week will be week three but I most likely will take them down next Friday night, wash and condition my hair and then put a new set in on Saturday( Sept.25). How long do you typically leave your braids in?