We founded everything bye

upload_2019-12-9_20-8-37.gif

messo messo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,318 330 268
Alleybux
I thought John Whitely founded LA/ Hollywood. His wife came up with the name Hollywood while on vacation. They put up ‘Hollywoodland’ on the hills to attract land buyers. Then he encouraged production companies to move down (since they were having patent troubles in Jersey).

I looked this all up some months ago.

That was in early 1900’s though. So did the first settlers leave? I’m assuming so anyway cause I know peeps we’re all over this country before the white folk arrived.

ETA: my bad, he only established Hollywood

Last edited:

lipstickalley08

I'm good luv, Enjoy!
Reaction score
Reactions
33,376 786 549
Alleybux
More History

Charles-Aaron-and-Willa-A.-Bruce.jpg

A small beach resort community in the City of Manhattan Beach, CA Bruce’s Beach was once owned by and operated for African Americans with no opportunities to vacation at white resorts due to segregation. Bruce’s Beach was one of the few beaches in southern California in the 1920s that was not off-limits to African Americans.

When first incorporated in 1912, George H. Peck (1856-1940), one of the founders of Manhattan Beach, rejected the practice of racial exclusion and had a clause written into the city’s deed stipulating that two city blocks of beach-front area would be set aside for African Americans to purchase. This allowed Charles and Willa Bruce, entrepreneurs and new settlers in the community, to purchase the property for $1,225 in 1912, add on three additional lots, and then to build Southern California’s first black beach resort. The admiration for Southern California’s good life and the vision of the new owners encouraged the building of new homes and cottages that would cater exclusively to African American vacationers, many of whom craved the ocean breezes, bathhouses, outdoor sports, dining, and dancing.

As more coastal land became affordable and available for purchase, and the African American population in Los Angeles increased, this brought more black vacationers to Bruce’s Beach, which also meant more white opposition in the white community and resentment towards the black beachfront resort. By the early 1920s the Ku Klux Klan had garnered a local following who declared the African Americans who frequented Bruce’s Beach would no longer be welcomed in town. The City of Manhattan Beach condemned Bruce’s Beach, and some residents pressured black property owners to sell their land at prices below fair market value. Other properties were seized through eminent domain proceedings commenced in 1924. These actions forced both the black landholders and most black beachgoers to relocate to the newly established black-only section of Santa Monica Beach known as “The Inkwell.”

Manhattan Beach tried to lease the Bruce’s Beach land to a private individual as a whites-only beach, but relented in the face of a civil disobedience campaign organized by the NAACP in 1927. Over time the beach area was called City Park or Beach Front Park. In 2006, the ownership changed again. In response the Manhattan Beach City Council renamed the area Bruce’s Beach and it was officially designated as such during a public ceremony there on March 31, 2007.

The park sits on a slope overlooking the ocean. It includes rolling grassy terraces with benches and small trees, and is located a few blocks from the beach between 26th and 27th street, and runs west from Highland Avenue to Manhattan Avenue.

More info

Bruce’s Beach, Manhattan Beach, California (1920- ) • BlackPast

leirah88

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,506 3,479 4,261
Alleybux
I thought John Whitely founded LA/ Hollywood. His wife came up with the name Hollywood while on vacation. They put up ‘Hollywoodland’ on the hills to attract land buyers. Then he encouraged production companies to move down (since they were having patent troubles in Jersey).

I looked this all up some months ago.

That was in early 1900’s though. So did the first settlers leave? I’m assuming so anyway cause I know peeps we’re all over this country before the white folk arrived.

LA was founded in 1781

Mukenchair

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
26,188 29 90
Alleybux
This is misleading. Black people did not found la. There were 2 black people, and some mulatoess. But most were hispanic and indian

Mukenchair

Team Owner
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
26,188 29 90
Alleybux
Only two were fully black. The other were mulatto, indian, and white.

Edit:
Cant say mul atto

Antnad

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,371 806 204
Alleybux
I knew this history, too. LA was a multiracial city from the beginning. Chicago was also founded by a man of African descent.

Kruegger100

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,094 2,810 1,588
Alleybux
More History

Charles-Aaron-and-Willa-A.-Bruce.jpg

A small beach resort community in the City of Manhattan Beach, CA Bruce’s Beach was once owned by and operated for African Americans with no opportunities to vacation at white resorts due to segregation. Bruce’s Beach was one of the few beaches in southern California in the 1920s that was not off-limits to African Americans.

When first incorporated in 1912, George H. Peck (1856-1940), one of the founders of Manhattan Beach, rejected the practice of racial exclusion and had a clause written into the city’s deed stipulating that two city blocks of beach-front area would be set aside for African Americans to purchase. This allowed Charles and Willa Bruce, entrepreneurs and new settlers in the community, to purchase the property for $1,225 in 1912, add on three additional lots, and then to build Southern California’s first black beach resort. The admiration for Southern California’s good life and the vision of the new owners encouraged the building of new homes and cottages that would cater exclusively to African American vacationers, many of whom craved the ocean breezes, bathhouses, outdoor sports, dining, and dancing.

As more coastal land became affordable and available for purchase, and the African American population in Los Angeles increased, this brought more black vacationers to Bruce’s Beach, which also meant more white opposition in the white community and resentment towards the black beachfront resort. By the early 1920s the Ku Klux Klan had garnered a local following who declared the African Americans who frequented Bruce’s Beach would no longer be welcomed in town. The City of Manhattan Beach condemned Bruce’s Beach, and some residents pressured black property owners to sell their land at prices below fair market value. Other properties were seized through eminent domain proceedings commenced in 1924. These actions forced both the black landholders and most black beachgoers to relocate to the newly established black-only section of Santa Monica Beach known as “The Inkwell.”

Manhattan Beach tried to lease the Bruce’s Beach land to a private individual as a whites-only beach, but relented in the face of a civil disobedience campaign organized by the NAACP in 1927. Over time the beach area was called City Park or Beach Front Park. In 2006, the ownership changed again. In response the Manhattan Beach City Council renamed the area Bruce’s Beach and it was officially designated as such during a public ceremony there on March 31, 2007.

The park sits on a slope overlooking the ocean. It includes rolling grassy terraces with benches and small trees, and is located a few blocks from the beach between 26th and 27th street, and runs west from Highland Avenue to Manhattan Avenue.

More info

Bruce’s Beach, Manhattan Beach, California (1920- ) • BlackPast
Nice Frock Coat.

Petti LaBelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,609 1,766 577
Alleybux
Literally it varies by thread and I don't get it. Some people with African blood are black, others are not. A lot of Mexicans have African roots; most don't get claimed as black

ashbee

Ignoramus
Reaction score
Reactions
261,500 8,879 11,234
Alleybux
Pio Pico. I have an idea for a film about this actually. He was the last Mexican governor of Alta California before the white man took it.

messo messo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,318 330 268
Alleybux
So basically, you posted a polite—shade—at OP, that black folks did NOT discover and found LA.

Indians and Mexicans did.

That’s how you took it?

interesting. Some of you guys seem to look for reasons to pick arguments.

my comment literally explains why I posted it. I was at a museum that had an exhibit about this same topic.

And if you read OP’s post again, you’d see my post actually compliments OPs. She said that the Mexicans who founded LA were mixed with black. The picture I posted literally says the same.

:love:

malloryor

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,197 2,102 2,985
Alleybux

hispanic just means spanish speakers, you can be of any race

That is not what Hispanic means. Hispanic means your ancestry comes from Hispaniola— Española which is Spain.

To identify as being black, would mean you have to have ancestry from Africa.

Black Latinos would have both, except their ties to their Hispanic heritage would come mostly from Latin America rather than Spain.

Eta: @Lulah the library is free. Go read a book.

Last edited:

malloryor

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,197 2,102 2,985
Alleybux
That’s how you took it?

interesting. Some of you guys seem to look for reasons to pick arguments.

my comment literally explains why I posted it. I was at a museum that had an exhibit about this same topic.

And if you read OP’s post again, you’d see my post actually compliments OPs. She said that the Mexicans who founded LA were mixed with black. The picture I posted literally says the same.

:love:

Um, you’re turning it into an argument. I simply made a statement. For me to be starting an argument, I’d have to be divisive, which I’m not. All I’m doing is commenting on your photo, which doesn’t really support the initial IG post.

Your photo shows one African being listed and a few mul@tto, but the majority were Hispanic identified, and Indian. These are nuanced because there’s no way for us to know if perhaps some of those Hispanics were Afro Latino, but it’s important to not make misleading titles, like the IG post.

Lil Puppet

Yeah I’m Krazy , so what, come **** wit ya boy
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
2,349 266 333
Alleybux
Not only did we found everyland we founded every creation in the universe even your weak ass god you pray to

SpiritStone

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,179 287 213
Alleybux
I just saw an article about this in the mainstream news today.

When you think about what was stolen from the Bruce family and the other African Americans in their community 97 years ago, an apology and returning the land will never come close to what was actually lost.

The money they were making from this one resort could have been used to generate even more wealth in other investments. The business knowledge could have been used to create additional resorts. The loss wasn't only to the Bruce family but all the other African Americans they would employ and help develop over the years.

Every time I hear about African American towns or individuals that were stolen from, I realize how deliberate white supremacists were in their attempts to destroy every instance of black improvement and independence. They understood the ripple effect it would have on the entire African American community even 100 years later.

This is one of many examples of why reparations are not only "justified", but required.

Melanated9

MVP
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
3,767 132 128
Alleybux
I know this as a Los angeles native born and raised I still live here to this day. I'm proud to be black and to live in a city where my people founded.

Ujjnala

Facts. Periodt.
Reaction score
Reactions
26,310 5,201 8,831
Alleybux
I know this as a Los angeles native born and raised I still live here to this day. I'm proud to be black and to live in a city where my people founded.

They didn't find this city. California was actually owned by Russians in the 1800s before Mexico and the american settlers.

LA doesn't have any exclusive black neighborhoods anymore. I live near baldwin hills off Crenshaw, and other than that and some parts of Compton and south la the Mexicans and salvadoreans pretty much took over.