Quantcast

LSA Garden Club (Indoor & Outdoor)

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Does a thread like this even exist? Anyway... If not... Why don't we post pictures or stuff about our plants, maybe share some ideas and what not?

I'll post some photos maybe tomorrow, but I'm still in the process of fixing how I want my plants to be displayed. I currently have approximately... 30-houseplants?

The majority of them are ~babies~ but I do have a large monstera and a majestic palm, but after doing some reading on the latter, I discovered that they're notoriously hard to care for, even for experienced gardeners and I live in New England so... It's just sitting out on my patio until it dies, haha. I would just rather not deal with it TBH! I do water it, however. It just acts funny and the ends turn brown and nobody has time for that kinda sh!t.

Anyways.

I own these plants (I maybe forgetting some):
  1. Majestic Palm (ready for that sh!t to die)
  2. English Ivy
  3. White Butterfly
  4. Dracaena
  5. Spider Plant
  6. Devil's Ivy (I)
  7. Devil's Ivy (II)
  8. Monstera (I)
  9. Monstera (II)
  10. Monstera (III)--this was from one, I divided it from the first one since the first one arrived in the mail and was dying. Seems to be "OK" right now. But we'll see...
  11. Pink Dalmation
  12. Purple Passion
  13. Emerald Ripple Peperomia
  14. Watermelon Peperomia
  15. Creeping Buttons Peperomia
  16. Watermelon Pilea
  17. Angel Wing (Begonia)
  18. Polka Dot Plant
  19. Nerve Plant
  20. Burgundy Rubber Plant
  21. Baby's Tears
  22. Angel Vine
  23. Asparagus Fern
  24. Elephant Leaf
  25. Pencil Cactus
  26. Haworthia Zebra
  27. Brownspine Hedgehog Cactus
Eh? I think that's all of them... Hmm...

Right now, my plants are planted in 5:1:1 potting mix or Al's Gritty Mix. I used diluted Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro 9-3-6 (fertilizer) and Dyna-Gro Pro-tekt 0-0-3 (supplement) on all my plants.

I believe that all of my peperomias, cacti, and succulents are using the gritty mix. My dracaena, pink dalmation and asparagus fern are planted in the gritty mix as well. Everything else is planted in the 5:1:1 mix.

If no one has heard of these mixes, they DRAIN chile. I stopped using that Miracle Gro stuff because it was just holding onto water for days. It's pretty much impossible to overwater with these mixes. Only downside is that if you're using the gritty mix, you'll need to water often. Cacti and succulents would need to be watered usually every 3-4 days.

Arristance

New year new b****
Reaction score
Reactions
39,728 446 525
Alleybux
This is a good idea. I've been wanting to buy a potted plan for a while, for my room just to spruce it up and put me in a good mood. I was wondering if anyone can recommend pretty plants that don't need much sunlight at all. I have no windows in my room. It's room between two other rooms in the middle of the house.

Kunt Brigade

Problematic Bruja
Reaction score
Reactions
96,794 799 510
Alleybux
good idea for a thread bc I think I screwed up

I just started being a plant mom a few months ago but I think I screwed up somewhere because I just harvested my tomatoes and peppers they are ripe but they came out so small. So I just picked off everything bc I am gonna junk everything and start with diff plants and a new garden setup. It has been hot so I think that did something and made them mature too quick before they could get bigger. I never had plants before so I am shocked they even grew into fruits. My basil is flourishing though I barely touch it except to prune and take basil leaves inside and it is fine as is the parsley. My aloe plants are doing well too. I want to replant them and also grow a larger one.
I hate tomato worms though I was picking them off my plant and spraying with neem. I am getting a mesh next time to cover my plants.

I don't have regular plants or flowers except for bamboo but I'd like to put rose bushes in on the side garden wall and maybe succulents somewhere on the front garden wall.

InterwebsCousin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
169,157 4,695 435
Alleybux
I'm a seasonal gardner so my growing season is coming to an end.

The only thing that's year round is my lemon plant - hoping it'll mature into a tree and my aloe vera plants that flourishes.

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
This is a good idea. I've been wanting to buy a potted plan for a while, for my room just to spruce it up and put me in a good mood. I was wondering if anyone can recommend pretty plants that don't need much sunlight at all. I have no windows in my room. It's room between two other rooms in the middle of the house.

Ah, all plants need lights. Even low light ones. Why not invest in some grow lights? They're quite inexpensive. You can get a $10 one on Amazon and the bulbs are like $10 at Home Depot or Lowes.

After getting the lights, I think you can be OK with snake plants, pothos, etc. With the grow lights, you can even have other plants in there. Some plants respond perfectly fine to artificial lights.

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
good idea for a thread bc I think I screwed up

I just started being a plant mom a few months ago but I think I screwed up somewhere because I just harvested my tomatoes and peppers they are ripe but they came out so small. So I just picked off everything bc I am gonna junk everything and start with diff plants and a new garden setup. It has been hot so I think that did something and made them mature too quick before they could get bigger. I never had plants before so I am shocked they even grew into fruits. My basil is flourishing though I barely touch it except to prune and take basil leaves inside and it is fine as is the parsley. My aloe plants are doing well too. I want to replant them and also grow a larger one.
I hate tomato worms though I was picking them off my plant and spraying with neem. I am getting a mesh next time to cover my plants.

I don't have regular plants or flowers except for bamboo but I'd like to put rose bushes in on the side garden wall and maybe succulents somewhere on the front garden wall.

I've seen some container gardeners growing peppers indoors. I am thinking of giving that a go...

Since it's getting cold out, I can't really put anything outside at the moment. I really want a herb garden :( I am wondering if I can use a grow light or something?

TrashBucket

Instathotintraining
Reaction score
Reactions
54,450 1,892 338
Alleybux
Great thread idea. I've wanted to start growing vegetables and herbs for cooking but I don't know where to start.

Kunt Brigade

Problematic Bruja
Reaction score
Reactions
96,794 799 510
Alleybux
I've seen some container gardeners growing peppers indoors. I am thinking of giving that a go...

Since it's getting cold out, I can't really put anything outside at the moment. I really want a herb garden :( I am wondering if I can use a grow light or something?
go for it, you could do peppers and herbs indoors easily if you have a lamp. I am going to add to my herb garden. my poor mint plant was eaten up I think it was by bunnies.

I am in CA so it is always warm. My plants are in containers but I am debating between raised bed garden or one of those raised up garden beds that you can stand over. I just want a mesh cover for them. I am going to re-try tomatoes, peppers, bell peppers and maybe lettuce or kale. IDK I will look up what grows well together.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
This is what I want for an herb garden in my office with maybe some veggies but the veggies maybe too much.

I have never done house plants. All my plants are outside and coming to an end soon although they still look good. I'm going to buy my mums soon so that's exciting.

As far as an indoor herb garden in addition to the grow lights have you heard of anyone doing hydro instead of dirt? I have heard it is much cleaner and the plans grow better...

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
go for it, you could do peppers and herbs indoors easily if you have a lamp. I am going to add to my herb garden. my poor mint plant was eaten up I think it was by bunnies.

I am in CA so it is always warm. My plants are in containers but I am debating between raised bed garden or one of those raised up garden beds that you can stand over. I just want a mesh cover for them. I am going to re-try tomatoes, peppers, bell peppers and maybe lettuce or kale. IDK I will look up what grows well together.

I saw that you can build a small greenhouse from a kit for $250. Might keep the bunnies out!

Kunt Brigade

Problematic Bruja
Reaction score
Reactions
96,794 799 510
Alleybux
I saw that you can build a small greenhouse from a kit for $250. Might keep the bunnies out!
good looking out! I am definitely going to look into that I am leaning in that direction. tired of the bunnies eating the mint

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
good looking out! I am definitely going to look into that I am leaning in that direction. tired of the bunnies eating the mint

When I was younger, we had a mango tree and the squirrels kept stealing them, or taking a bite our of them and then dropping it.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Here are some pics of my outdoor garden. Again its late in the season so they don't look as good as they did earlier in the summer...

View attachment 40257

View attachment 40259

View attachment 40260

View attachment 40261

View attachment 40262

View attachment 40263

View attachment 40264

Here is a planter I made for my mother's birthday present. In the card is Spa day gift certificates...

View attachment 40265

Where do you live? I kinda want to put some plants on my patio. But I like in New England. I've noticed that most shrubs seem to survive the cold water. I wonder if I can just get a shrub and put it in a pot?

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
Where do you live? I kinda want to put some plants on my patio. But I like in New England. I've noticed that most shrubs seem to survive the cold water. I wonder if I can just get a shrub and put it in a pot?
Michigan...I don't think shrubs will survive in a pot because the roots will get too long and big. Why can't you have shrubs or plants by your patio because you live in New England?

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Michigan...I don't think shrubs will survive in a pot because the roots will get too long and big. Why can't you have shrubs or plants by your patio because you live in New England?

I do, but I want some patio plants.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
I do, but I want some patio plants.
With the fall coming I'm am going to change my pots on my patio from what I pictured to mums. Mums look really nice in pots in the fall. Other than that I can't see them surviving the weather that is to come lol...

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
With the fall coming I'm am going to change my pots on my patio from what I pictured to mums. Mums look really nice in pots in the fall. Other than that I can't see them surviving the weather that is to come lol...

Dammit. I don't have any room for outdoor plants that gotta be taken inside during the winter...

I can't try a blue spruce or evergreen? I think they'll do OK outside.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
Dammit. I don't have any room for outdoor plants that gotta be taken inside during the winter...

I can't try a blue spruce or evergreen? I think they'll do OK outside.
They do well outside but I just don't know if they will survive in a pot. They may....Its just in my experience the roots always get out of control....

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
They do well outside but I just don't know if they will survive in a pot. They may....Its just in my experience the roots always get out of control....

I am thinking of just buying some seeds and seeds of other plants that are hardy in zone 6 (MA). I've found a couple... I bought some glow lights and plan to buy more. I have a console table that has nothing on the bottom, so I'm thinking of using that area to plant some seeds. That way, it'll be a very small baby when it's warmer outside. I'll probably just grow it inside until it's a bit bigger..

Hmmm.

I've found a couple others that are annuals here... snowdrops, begonias, purslane, pansies... I'll just buy some seeds and see where that'll go.

I also bought some drosera spatulata seeds, IDK what I'm thinking with that. sh!t is intimidating.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
I am thinking of just buying some seeds and seeds of other plants that are hardy in zone 6 (MA). I've found a couple... I bought some glow lights and plan to buy more. I have a console table that has nothing on the bottom, so I'm thinking of using that area to plant some seeds. That way, it'll be a very small baby when it's warmer outside. I'll probably just grow it inside until it's a bit bigger..

Hmmm.

I've found a couple others that are annuals here... snowdrops, begonias, purslane, pansies... I'll just buy some seeds and see where that'll go.

I also bought some drosera spatulata seeds, IDK what I'm thinking with that. sh!t is intimidating.
I have never grown from seeds but you seem knowledgeable. I have only grown from bulbs or with little baby plants from the nursery.

Girl I had to google drosera spatulata. They are pretty but I have never seen or heard of them before. If you do get them growing post pics...

I usually have a bigger problem with finding flowering plants that grow in shade because there is a huge wall of trees across the street from my house plus the trees in my front, back, and neighbor's yards...

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
I have never grown from seeds but you seem knowledgeable. I have only grown from bulbs or with little baby plants from the nursery.

Girl I had to google drosera spatulata. They are pretty but I have never seen or heard of them before. If you do get them growing post pics...

I usually have a bigger problem with finding flowering plants that grow in shade because there is a huge wall of trees across the street from my house plus the trees in my front, back, and neighbor's yards...

They're a carnivorous plant! LOL. I saw a YouTuber with them and I was like "hmm... that's an odd looking plant".

Then I found seeds on Etsy for $4 and that was that. I'll refrigerate them and maybe get to working on them around Christmas time, since I have a week off of work and have nothing else better to do. They apparently can be grown perfectly fine in the winter.

The video:

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
They're a carnivorous plant! LOL. I saw a YouTuber with them and I was like "hmm... that's an odd looking plant".

Then I found seeds on Etsy for $4 and that was that. I'll refrigerate them and maybe get to working on them around Christmas time, since I have a week off of work and have nothing else better to do. They apparently can be grown perfectly fine in the winter.

The video:

Please keep us posted on this...I have never even thought about dealing with a carnivorous plant...that's just so cool...

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Some exciting updates!

I propagated my pothos because it was too busy and was super annoying to deal with when it came to watering. I took a few leaves. My pothos hasn't started to vine, but meh. What the heck?

I put the leaves attached to their stems into two mason jars with tap water. I've had them in there since Monday or Tuesday. This morning, I've noticed that some of the stems are beginning to show roots!

I'm super excited. Especially because I have plans to use pothos as a running vine ontop of my kitchen cabinets. We'll see how everything looks in a few weeks. I hope I am able to plant them in October :D

I was also able to find Zoo Med Repti Bark at the Petco near me, which I am also happy about. When I made my 5:1:1 and Gritty Mix, I used the 'fine' pine bark mulch from Home Depot. I knew that it wasn't "right", but meh. I gave up and I was super tired. I don't think that my mixes are perfect, but my plants seem to be doing OK in them at the moment.

But for future plants and for any repotting, I now know where to buy it. I am going to just trash the mulch since it was only $4.

Please keep us posted on this...I have never even thought about dealing with a carnivorous plant...that's just so cool...

Sure! I think that you can buy a Venus Flytrap at most nurseries.

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Also, the issue that I was having with one of my monsteras that I mentioned earlier...

I got this plant on 09/01/17, mind you... From an Etsy shop. That sh!t came in bad shape. Photos of how it looked when I got it:

HNxUOOX.jpg

QnMQ7lN.jpg

Horrible, huh?

I had to snip off the only split leaf (I paid extra for that!). But, it continued to just... Yea...

About 6-days later on 09/07/17. I was convinced that this sh!t was dying, y'all. I was so peeved:

DOZkpjM.jpg

Ugh. See what I'm talking about? I placed it outside for a bit because I suspected some powdery mildew in the sh!tty ass Miracle Gro potting soil. I then repotted it in 5:1:1 (I didn't make this exactly as I should've... Will fix next Spring). When I dumped out the soil, the two stems weren't connected, so I thought maybe it would be a better idea to just separate them. I placed one in my new soil, but then left the other one that was in a shittier condition in a mason jar full of tap water. After a few days, it started to look OK, so I repotted it. This is how they look now (photo taken yesterday--so it's been about 10-days):

Now:
zAFgbij.jpg

VxK3i87.jpg

Wish me luck, y'all. You can kinda peek my white butterfly on the left, and my angel wing begonia in the middle, and polka dot plant on the side. Second shelf houses my nerve plant and watermelon pilea. I am struggling right now with the polka dot and nerve plant, I believe it's due to poor humidity. So, I may be purchase a bell jar in the near future and placing them both in there to increase humidity. I also just bought a humidifier, but I'm placing those around my large monstera and fiddle leaf fig at the moment.

This is my other monstera:
HzlZcUe.jpg

I know that my plant set-up is rather sh!tty RN. I am trying to figure out how to set them up. I was looking into buying THIS.

Maybe two of them depending on how big they are... And using them in the office. The large monstera is in my bedroom and I want to put an armchair there, so... I'm not sure of how I'm going to set it up. For now, it'll stay in its ratchet place (on top of a waste basket, SMH) until I get my armchair.

Last edited:

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Ah, crap. I found aphids on my elephant ear and dracaena (both near my beloved monstera and fiddle leaf fig). I sprayed them down with alcohol, but... I am going to purchase some good ladybugs and release the suckers. Might as well, right? Who knows what else is infested, maybe I didn't notice until now? I wonder where the aphids came from... The elephant ear is a new plant, they might've come from there...? Welp.

I only noticed because my dracaena's lower leaves were yellowing and wilting. On closer inspection, SPOTTED.

Because of that, I've started carefully checking the leaves of all my plants every morning when I check to see if they need water. I noticed a yellow spot on the elephant ear and the lower leaves have been drooping. Then I saw the motherfµcker underneath the leaf. Dosed with alcohol, water and soap, but... Yup. Gonna just purchase the ladybugs and release them.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
Ah, crap. I found aphids on my elephant ear and dracaena (both near my beloved monstera and fiddle leaf fig). I sprayed them down with alcohol, but... I am going to purchase some good ladybugs and release the suckers. Might as well, right? Who knows what else is infested, maybe I didn't notice until now? I wonder where the aphids came from... The elephant ear is a new plant, they might've come from there...? Welp.

I only noticed because my dracaena's lower leaves were yellowing and wilting. On closer inspection, SPOTTED.

Because of that, I've started carefully checking the leaves of all my plants every morning when I check to see if they need water. I noticed a yellow spot on the elephant ear and the lower leaves have been drooping. Then I saw the motherfµcker underneath the leaf. Dosed with alcohol, water and soap, but... Yup. Gonna just purchase the ladybugs and release them.
I used to have a veggie garden outside but had to get rid of it because my dog would always run in there and tear it up so it wasn't worth it anymore. Anyway I found this stuff on my peppers one year and was able to get rid of it but then started seeing it on other veggies and I didn't want to use pesticides. Over the years I have tried a few methods. I listed them below...

Natural Aphid Pesticides: Neem Oil

Pure neem oil, an oil derived from the neem tree, has long been used in many natural remedies, including pest control. The oil, or Azadirachtin, acts as a repellent and growth regulator. To the insects, the neem oil has a bitter taste, so they will not eat the leaves treated with it. Also, if the insects do come in contact with the Azadirachtin, it prevents the larvae from growing into adults. Neem oil can be purchased at various online stores or made from neem trees.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Homemade Lemon Spray
This natural aphid pesticide works as an instant remedy, killing the aphids on contact. To make this natural pesticide, grate the rind of a large lemon. Boil it in enough water to fill a garden spray bottle. Let the mixture sit overnight. Drain the liquid into the garden spray bottle. Spray the aphids and larvae directly. It will cause them to convulse.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Homemade Vinegar Spray
Get out a spray bottle and fill it 1/3 of the way with distilled white vinegar and the rest of the way with water. This will kill the aphids and larvae on contact. Some plants react badly to the vinegar. It's important know which plants you can and cannot use this method with. I have found vinegar works good with solid veggies but not good with the leafy plants/ veggies like lettuce or cabbage. With that said for the lemon spray and or vinegar I recommend that you give it a try on a few leaves, and see how the plant reacts. If favorably, go ahead and spray the rest of the plant. Note that aphids have what I'm going to call a ridiculous life cycle - they hatch at an amazing rate. Spray them EVERY DAY until they are gone, then keep spraying several more days to ensure they're REALLY gone.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Aluminum Foil
Place a square of aluminum foil around the base of plants affected by aphids. This causes light to bounce around to the underside of the leaves, which repels the aphids. It is also good for the plants, as it brings them more natural sunlight. This method sounds great, but keeping the foil clean/reflective and keeping it in place is difficult.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Calcium Powder
Sprinkling calcium powder around the base of the plants is another natural aphid repellent. The aphids do not like the calcium and will generally stay away from it.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Yellow Plastic Bowl
Aphids are naturally attracted to the color yellow. Place a yellow plastic bowl filled about 1/3 of the way with water in the center of the infested area. Many of the aphids will be drawn to the bowl and will go into the water and die.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Banana Peels
Burying shredded banana peels around the base of plants is an odd, but effective remedy. It has been around for ages and many gardeners will swear by it.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Smash Their Buddies
Squashing a few aphids near the infested area will signify to the other aphids that it is time to go. It's a chemical reaction.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Ladybugs
Ladybugs can be purchased at garden and home improvement centers. The ladybugs feed on the aphids and if you purchase enough, the aphids will be gone in no time. Ladybugs are also good for the garden in other ways. I did this as a preventative measure once I got rid of the stuff and it worked as once I got them I never did get aphid again, but I have never used them to kill the stuff once there, but you seem to have experience with this method.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Garlic or Onions
Planting garlic or onions is another natural aphid deterrent. They do not like garlic or onion and will not likely come near an area they are in.

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
I used to have a veggie garden outside but had to get rid of it because my dog would always run in there and tear it up so it wasn't worth it anymore. Anyway I found this stuff on my peppers one year and was able to get rid of it but then started seeing it on other veggies and I didn't want to use pesticides. Over the years I have tried a few methods. I listed them below...

Natural Aphid Pesticides: Neem Oil

Pure neem oil, an oil derived from the neem tree, has long been used in many natural remedies, including pest control. The oil, or Azadirachtin, acts as a repellent and growth regulator. To the insects, the neem oil has a bitter taste, so they will not eat the leaves treated with it. Also, if the insects do come in contact with the Azadirachtin, it prevents the larvae from growing into adults. Neem oil can be purchased at various online stores or made from neem trees.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Homemade Lemon Spray
This natural aphid pesticide works as an instant remedy, killing the aphids on contact. To make this natural pesticide, grate the rind of a large lemon. Boil it in enough water to fill a garden spray bottle. Let the mixture sit overnight. Drain the liquid into the garden spray bottle. Spray the aphids and larvae directly. It will cause them to convulse.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Homemade Vinegar Spray
Get out a spray bottle and fill it 1/3 of the way with distilled white vinegar and the rest of the way with water. This will kill the aphids and larvae on contact. Some plants react badly to the vinegar. It's important know which plants you can and cannot use this method with. I have found vinegar works good with solid veggies but not good with the leafy plants/ veggies like lettuce or cabbage. With that said for the lemon spray and or vinegar I recommend that you give it a try on a few leaves, and see how the plant reacts. If favorably, go ahead and spray the rest of the plant. Note that aphids have what I'm going to call a ridiculous life cycle - they hatch at an amazing rate. Spray them EVERY DAY until they are gone, then keep spraying several more days to ensure they're REALLY gone.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Aluminum Foil
Place a square of aluminum foil around the base of plants affected by aphids. This causes light to bounce around to the underside of the leaves, which repels the aphids. It is also good for the plants, as it brings them more natural sunlight. This method sounds great, but keeping the foil clean/reflective and keeping it in place is difficult.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Calcium Powder
Sprinkling calcium powder around the base of the plants is another natural aphid repellent. The aphids do not like the calcium and will generally stay away from it.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Yellow Plastic Bowl
Aphids are naturally attracted to the color yellow. Place a yellow plastic bowl filled about 1/3 of the way with water in the center of the infested area. Many of the aphids will be drawn to the bowl and will go into the water and die.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Banana Peels
Burying shredded banana peels around the base of plants is an odd, but effective remedy. It has been around for ages and many gardeners will swear by it.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Smash Their Buddies
Squashing a few aphids near the infested area will signify to the other aphids that it is time to go. It's a chemical reaction.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Ladybugs
Ladybugs can be purchased at garden and home improvement centers. The ladybugs feed on the aphids and if you purchase enough, the aphids will be gone in no time. Ladybugs are also good for the garden in other ways. I did this as a preventative measure once I got rid of the stuff and it worked as once I got them I never did get aphid again, but I have never used them to kill the stuff once there, but you seem to have experience with this method.
Natural Aphid Pesticides: Garlic or Onions
Planting garlic or onions is another natural aphid deterrent. They do not like garlic or onion and will not likely come near an area they are in.

Thanks. Yea, what a pain... I'm thinking of just buying green lacewing larvae and releasing maybe 2-per room. I think the adults live up to 3 to 4 weeks and they'll eat any type of pest. I'm wondering if the aphids came from a new plant. Sigh. Oh well. I think maybe the green lacewings are the best option. I was going to do ladybugs too, but I was wondering if there are other stuff that I haven't seen yet... At least with the lacewings, they'll eat all of it.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
Thanks. Yea, what a pain... I'm thinking of just buying green lacewing larvae and releasing maybe 2-per room. I think the adults live up to 3 to 4 weeks and they'll eat any type of pest. I'm wondering if the aphids came from a new plant. Sigh. Oh well. I think maybe the green lacewings are the best option. I was going to do ladybugs too, but I was wondering if there are other stuff that I haven't seen yet... At least with the lacewings, they'll eat all of it.
The only issue I have with the bugs is I'm not sure your going to want them in your house. Have you tried the neem oil or the lemon or vinegar spray? Those options are actually really effective...

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
The only issue I have with the bugs is I'm not sure your going to want them in your house. Have you tried the neem oil or the lemon or vinegar spray? Those options are actually really effective...

Yea, that was definitely an issue... I purchased some good ladybugs on Amazon. It seems like they eventually die quite quickly, so that is my hope. I am aiming for them to get rid of the pests, and then continue with preventive measures. For now on, I will definitely isolate new plants from the rest. I do have grow lights, so I might put them in my laundry room which is away from all my plants, and just let them sit there for a month or two before introducing them to my other collections.

I already have neem oil, however. The plants with pests were ones that I brought back from outside... I thought that I gave them a good spray, but I guess not. The ones left inside are completely fine, which is why I am thinking that this is the issue.

I spray my plants with neem oil weekly at night (one room done on a different day because it's too much of a hassle to move all my plants to the tub to spray). I am also going to start hosing down my plants in the tub before spraying with neem oil. I use this brand.

I don't think this is 100% neem oil, however. I'll use it up for now, and then buy the Dyna-Gro Neem Oil and mix it with some other stuff I bought (i.e. Dr. Bonner's soap, etc.). I heard that pests don't like the smell of mint or peppermint, so I may go ahead and add some drops of peppermint oil as well.

Last edited:

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
Yea, that was definitely an issue... I purchased some good ladybugs on Amazon. It seems like they eventually die quite quickly, so that is my hope. I am aiming for them to get rid of the pests, and then continue with preventive measures. For now on, I will definitely isolate new plants from the rest. I do have grow lights, so I might put them in my laundry room which is away from all my plants, and just let them sit there for a month or two before introducing them to my other collections.

I already have neem oil, however. The plants with pests were ones that I brought back from outside... I thought that I gave them a good spray, but I guess not. The ones left inside are completely fine, which is why I am thinking that this is the issue.

I spray my plants with neem oil weekly at night (one room done on a different day because it's too much of a hassle to move all my plants to the tub to spray). I am also going to start hosing down my plants in the tub before spraying with neem oil. I use this brand.

I don't think this is 100% neem oil, however. I'll use it up for now, and then buy the Dyna-Gro Neem Oil and mix it with some other stuff I bought (i.e. Dr. Bonner's soap, etc.). I heard that pests don't like the smell of mint or peppermint, so I may go ahead and add some drops of peppermint oil as well.
I'm worried you may end up with a lady bug infestation if they reproduce. As far as the neem oil if it isn't killing it with you applying it every night then its not 100% because you should be seeing drastic improvements. I have never heard of them disliking mint but I have heard of them disliking garlic. If you crack some garlic and put it in a water bottle left over night and lightly spray the plants that should help...

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
I'm worried you may end up with a lady bug infestation if they reproduce. As far as the neem oil if it isn't killing it with you applying it every night then its not 100% because you should be seeing drastic improvements. I have never heard of them disliking mint but I have heard of them disliking garlic. If you crack some garlic and put it in a water bottle left over night and lightly spray the plants that should help...

I've been using the neem oil as a preventive treatment. The infected plants have been getting sprayed down with a water+alcohol+soap mixture. I haven't seen anything since, but you're supposed to spray them with that stuff every 3-days just in case there are eggs. They're due for a spray down today. My other plants look fine... at the moment. But I am paranoid about my other plants maybe being infected due to the infested plants being in the same room.

I've since isolated them, but I've been watching those plants closely for the past few days.

B. Leigh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,368 2,442 2,851
Alleybux
I've been using the neem oil as a preventive treatment. The infected plants have been getting sprayed down with a water+alcohol+soap mixture. I haven't seen anything since, but you're supposed to spray them with that stuff every 3-days just in case there are eggs. They're due for a spray down today. My other plants look fine... at the moment. But I am paranoid about my other plants maybe being infected due to the infested plants being in the same room.

I've since isolated them, but I've been watching those plants closely for the past few days.
Yea if this is the case I would not get the bugs. You are only going to give yourself an infestation. I would look into getting the 100% neem oil because it really is effective. I was shocked how well it worked...

I would keep spraying the alcohol mixture that is working and then continue spraying the neem oil on the unaffected plants indefinitely. I think they will be fine if they are in the same room if you keep up the regiment...

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Yea if this is the case I would not get the bugs. You are only going to give yourself an infestation. I would look into getting the 100% neem oil because it really is effective. I was shocked how well it worked...

I would keep spraying the alcohol mixture that is working and then continue spraying the neem oil on the unaffected plants indefinitely. I think they will be fine if they are in the same room if you keep up the regiment...

OK, thanks. I cancelled the order. Just ordered the Dyna-Gro Neem Oil.

Autumn1456

WatchingPeople
Reaction score
Reactions
83,157 1,418 137
Alleybux
Awesome idea. I'm so into plants..

I have no luck with succulents. I tend to ignore them too much. Then next thing you know they're dead [emoji849]

I have a Dracaena, Mother in Laws Tongue, that vine one (forgot the name), aloe vera and bamboo.

One time I had an indoor majestic palm tree and that was an epic fail. Because of poor soil drainage, the sh!t ended up developing those annoying ass gnats. After three months of fighting the infestation, I just cut the sh!t up and trashed it. This is after several soil changes and pot changes BTW.

Taking care of the indoor plants is a soothing thing.

Plumbus

Lady Lazarus
Reaction score
Reactions
154,612 5,781 4,840
Alleybux
Awesome idea. I'm so into plants..

I have no luck with succulents. I tend to ignore them too much. Then next thing you know they're dead [emoji849]

I have a Dracaena, Mother in Laws Tongue, that vine one (forgot the name), aloe vera and bamboo.

One time I had an indoor majestic palm tree and that was an epic fail. Because of poor soil drainage, the sh!t ended up developing those annoying ass gnats. After three months of fighting the infestation, I just cut the sh!t up and trashed it. This is after several soil changes and pot changes BTW.

Taking care of the indoor plants is a soothing thing.

Don't feel bad about the majestic palm. They're apparently horrible houseplants. Someone on gardenweb who has hundreds of palms said they don't own a majestic palm since they're horrible. It's why Big chain stores sell them so cheaply.

I've definitely learned a lot lurking on these forums. It's good to know what houseplants to avoid (i.e. ivy).

My favorite plants at the moment: fiddle leaf fig, monstera (I own three), purple passion and my angel wing begonia. They're growing like weeds. I bought a pink dalmation which was in a sh!tty state at Home Depot. It's slowly been recovering. But then I gave it a soap+water+bleach bath after fungus gnats came pouring out while changing the soil.

The Culture

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom