Quantcast

LSA Garden Club (Indoor & Outdoor)

euphorialove

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
181,036 3,915 2,849
Alleybux
Update. I finally got a humidifier but I am going to have to repot my plant. I went up too large of a pot size and it's hard to water when the bottom is wet but the top is dry..

cherchezlaHOPE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,052 184 10
Alleybux
I had to pot all the bulbs and roots that I purchased. I was hoping to wait, but most had started to growing in their bags. Unfortunately, some of my dahlia tubbers had mold on them. I had to cut some of them, so I don't know how they will turn out once I plant them in the ground. I created a make shift greenhouse and I am starting to see growth already.

Today, I pruned my rose bushes and azaleas. I also staked up my hyacinth because they were flopping over. The birds and squirrels have been picking over my beds. A few of my allium bulbs were popped up. The roots looked good, but I moved them to a different location.

I'm still struggling to find some good plants for full shade. It seems that everything in the nurseries are for full or partial sun. I also think I will try my hand at planting in containers. I am going to sharpen my gardening tools this weekend.

LostOutside

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Got my lettuce, kale, spinach, kohlrabi & carrots planted today. Our last spring frost is supposedly March 19th but we have 70 to 80 degree days and lows of 40’s & 50’s nights for the next 10 days. Ahhhhhh I love spring weather.

Ms Marigold

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,225 169 28
Alleybux
I had to pot all the bulbs and roots that I purchased. I was hoping to wait, but most had started to growing in their bags. Unfortunately, some of my dahlia tubbers had mold on them. I had to cut some of them, so I don't know how they will turn out once I plant them in the ground. I created a make shift greenhouse and I am starting to see growth already.

Today, I pruned my rose bushes and azaleas. I also staked up my hyacinth because they were flopping over. The birds and squirrels have been picking over my beds. A few of my allium bulbs were popped up. The roots looked good, but I moved them to a different location.

I'm still struggling to find some good plants for full shade. It seems that everything in the nurseries are for full or partial sun. I also think I will try my hand at planting in containers. I am going to sharpen my gardening tools this weekend.
Lenten rose does well in shade and they're really pretty. Well, I think they are. :)

How did you make your greenhouse?

tallafrican

Barbecue addict.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,118 1,563 105
Alleybux
Got my lettuce, kale, spinach, kohlrabi & carrots planted today. Our last spring frost is supposedly March 19th but we have 70 to 80 degree days and lows of 40’s & 50’s nights for the next 10 days. Ahhhhhh I love spring weather.

I’m planting kohlrabi as well that I got for free at the library. I just have to harvest my Bok Choy first that survived the snow.

My last frost date is April 9th. From what I learned kohlrabi is a cool weather crop so I can get it in the ground earlier. I’m doing the gardening method from indoors to outdoors.

Do you sow directly or are you starting indoors?

Ms Marigold

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,225 169 28
Alleybux
This morning's harvest!

Attachments

• 20240303_092356.jpg
    20240303_092356.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 10

LostOutside

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I’m planting kohlrabi as well that I got for free at the library. I just have to harvest my Bok Choy first that survived the snow.

My last frost date is April 9th. From what I learned kohlrabi is a cool weather crop so I can get it in the ground earlier. I’m doing the gardening method from indoors to outdoors.

Do you sow directly or are you starting indoors?

I started everything outdoors, direct sown in their respective containers. Everything I started can take cold weather but I always worry just a teeny amount when their whittle babies lol

tallafrican

Barbecue addict.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,118 1,563 105
Alleybux
A few memories from last year's garden. Was my first time, this year I have better hope.

Basil.
IMG_3109.jpeg

Tomatoes starting out.
IMG_3111.jpeg

Sunflower.
IMG_3168.jpeg

IMG_3186.jpeg

Sunflower grew to over 7 feet high. In the back are the banana trees.
IMG_3188.jpeg

Okra and okra flower.
IMG_3201.jpeg
IMG_3199.jpeg

Salad with arugula from the garden and cherry tomatoes from the garden. With grilled blackened catfish (I’m addicted to grilling).
IMG_3250.jpeg

Focaccia bread I made in a cast iron skillet with cherry tomatoes, basil, and rosemary.
IMG_3276.jpeg

tallafrican

Barbecue addict.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,118 1,563 105
Alleybux
Red Amaranth. Tastes like spinach and looks pretty.
IMG_3287.jpeg

Okra plant was destroyed by rabbits.
IMG_3247.jpeg

Okra before rabbit destroyed it.
IMG_3216.jpeg

One of the rabbits running around.
IMG_3079.jpeg

Ms Marigold

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,225 169 28
Alleybux
A few memories from last year's garden. Was my first time, this year I have better hope.

Basil.
View attachment 5656523

Tomatoes starting out.
View attachment 5656525

Sunflower.
View attachment 5656526

View attachment 5656527

Sunflower grew to over 7 feet high. In the back are the banana trees.
View attachment 5656528

Okra and okra flower.
View attachment 5656529 View attachment 5656530

Salad with arugula from the garden and cherry tomatoes from the garden. With grilled blackened catfish (I’m addicted to grilling).
View attachment 5656531

Focaccia bread I made in a cast iron skillet with cherry tomatoes, basil, and rosemary.
View attachment 5656532
This was your first garden ever?! If so you did amazing

cherchezlaHOPE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,052 184 10
Alleybux
Lenten rose does well in shade and they're really pretty. Well, I think they are. :)

How did you make your greenhouse?
I had to look Lenten rose up; I've seen them in the nurseries as hellebore. I like them. I'm debating on just getting some hosta, but last time the deer and rabbits ate them all. I want to get my hands on some brunnera.

I have a bunch of plastic trays seeding trays that I have been wrapping with plastic and plant cover blanket. I have to make sure that I keep them moist. The astilbe are showing the most leaves, while the others are starting to open up.

Seeing some of the prices of the plants at the nurseries I am going to try my luck and grow some things from seeds. I have echinacea, lupine, and coleus seed packets.

GoodGirlGoneGr8

Get baptized in the ocean of the hungry…
Reaction score
Reactions
105,052 3,304 1,140
Alleybux
My newest leaf is huge and holey….

I’m up to quintuple fenestrations. When I started really putting effort into planting, my goal with the monsteras was just triple fenestrations…so I’m pretty elated.

Got some bruising on this newest leaf which doesn’t surprise me. When I repot, I usually get some delays in growth and some spotting/bruising. This time I got no growth delays but bruising.

IMG_9582.jpeg

IMG_9653.jpeg

IMG_9766.jpeg

cherchezlaHOPE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,052 184 10
Alleybux
Despite the rain here, I've been busy. I was able to put out some plant-tone before the rain started. I finish potting the last of my bulbs - lilies and gladiolus. All of my other pots are blooming, the astilbes have about a 1-2 ft of growth, the hostas have seem to sprouted out of no where, even the dahlias have growth. Some of my lupine seeds are starting to germinate, I am surprised because its only been a couple of days.

I went to a nursery and picked up some plants to fill out containers for my front porch. I saw some jack frost brunnera, but I wasn't impressed with them. I was able to get my hands on some lenton roses and angel wings. I love the look of angel wings, plus I want to incorporate silverly tones in my garden. I collected all of the wild grape hyacinth in my yard and replanted them near my allium bulbs. I think it would be nice to see the different purples play off of each other.

flon25

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
51,638 1,930 267
Alleybux
I'm jealous of y'all having stuff already. I almost went out to buy my planting stuff knowing good and well I have to wait until May lol.

Anyone have/growing Blushing Bride Hydrangea? What are your tips? I know they can be difficult, but I want to plant some this year.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,057 143 60
Alleybux
I’m about to lose my mind with this fungus gnat infestation. At least I think they’re fungus gnats. They’re in just about every plant I have indoors and I’ve tried cinnamon, mosquito bits, bottom watering and changing my soil. Anybody have any other suggestions? I am going to read through the thread but I figured I’d ask too.

Ms Marigold

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,225 169 28
Alleybux
I’m about to lose my mind with this fungus gnat infestation. At least I think they’re fungus gnats. They’re in just about every plant I have indoors and I’ve tried cinnamon, mosquito bits, bottom watering and changing my soil. Anybody have any other suggestions? I am going to read through the thread but I figured I’d ask too.
Cinnamon and bottom-watering work for me. That's weird that you did all of that and still see them.

ETA: I also keep a fan in the vicinity of my seedlings/plants with this issue. I couldn't remember if that helped with them so i just checked. It does. Didn't want to give misinformation.

Last edited:

tallafrican

Barbecue addict.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,118 1,563 105
Alleybux

I just started disinfecting the soil before planting with boiling water. They say it kills the eggs. There’s a 5 min oven baking method but I haven’t done that one. Cinnamon kills mold but not the gnats.

As far as after sand sprinkled on top is supposed to prevent the gnats from laying eggs. Or you can use the sticky traps or vinegar traps. Also some direct sunlight outside for about half an hour if weather permits.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,057 143 60
Alleybux
Cinnamon and bottom-watering work for me. That's weird that you did all of that and still see them.

ETA: I also keep a fan in the vicinity of my seedlings/plants with this issue. I couldn't remember if that helped with them so i just checked. It does. Didn't want to give misinformation.
Thank you I’ll try adding a fan, especially with my seedlings because I noticed yesterday after leaving them in the room with the fan on I didn’t see any of the gnats in those trays.
I just started disinfecting the soil before planting with boiling water. They say it kills the eggs. There’s a 5 min oven baking method but I haven’t done that one. Cinnamon kills mold but not the gnats.

As far as after sand sprinkled on top is supposed to prevent the gnats from laying eggs. Or you can use the sticky traps or vinegar traps. Also some direct sunlight outside for about half an hour if weather permits.
Thank you! I wasn’t sure if they came from the soil or not because we get a lot of insects here due to the summer heat but I’ll definitely disinfect the next bag I buy. The vinegar traps have worked in the past but this new batch of gnats seem mutated or something, they don’t even blink at the vinegar. I’m going to disinfect, set my plants out when the weather changes and also I saw something about diatomaceous earth. Thanks again!

tallafrican

Barbecue addict.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,118 1,563 105
Alleybux
Thank you I’ll try adding a fan, especially with my seedlings because I noticed yesterday after leaving them in the room with the fan on I didn’t see any of the gnats in those trays.

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if they came from the soil or not because we get a lot of insects here due to the summer heat but I’ll definitely disinfect the next bag I buy. The vinegar traps have worked in the past but this new batch of gnats seem mutated or something, they don’t even blink at the vinegar. I’m going to disinfect, set my plants out when the weather changes and also I saw something about diatomaceous earth. Thanks again!
Apparently when the bags of potting mix / soil are stored in the big box stores they are stored outside. This is when the gnats are attracted to the damp soil and lay their eggs. I hope things work out for you. Thank you for the suggestion about diatomaceous earth.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,057 143 60
Alleybux
Apparently when the bags of potting mix / soil are stored in the big box stores they are stored outside. This is when the gnats are attracted to the damp soil and lay their eggs. I hope things work out for you. Thank you for the suggestion about diatomaceous earth.
That makes sense, and it probably didn’t help that it had been raining before I picked up my last bag of soil, even though I did try to get the driest bag. But no problem. Make sure the diatomaceous earth is food grade if you’re using it for your fruits or vegetables. I’m going to try and pick some up this weekend. Happy gardening!

cherchezlaHOPE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,052 184 10
Alleybux
Ugh, I think I have a problem. I went to Costco to get some water and left with a case of water and 3 azaleas. They were $15 for a 3-gallon bush. As I was watering my potted bulbs, which are looking like baby plants now. They will probably be the same size as the plants in the store by April 15th. More than half of the lupine seeds have sprouted and some of the echinacea are sprouting too.

Now I am worried about how I am going to water all of these plants once I get them in the ground. I may need to figure out how to install a drip line.

cherchezlaHOPE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,052 184 10
Alleybux
My potted bulbs/tubers are going well, maybe a little too well. Some of the roots are sticking out the bottom of the pots and the astilbes are flowering. Yesterday, I prepped the ground where I want to plant some canna and caladium. There were some old tree trucks that had fortunately rotted out, so I go rid of the fire ants and some roots, as well as mixed manure into the soil. I think I've figured out my arrangement. I am debating if I should get one more azalea, because of the spacing, but then I want to do odd number of groupings. I'm ready to put some of these in the ground. April cannot get here quick enough.

My lupine seedlings are starting to get their second leaves. I'll need to start fertilizing soon. I want to start growing some dichondra silver falls to plant under trees with bare spots.

ZoeyB

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
102,305 1,460 320
Alleybux
Germinated tomato, squash, and bitter melon seeds last week. Wrapped in wet paper towels, put in plastic bags, then into the germinating station with the heat mat. Nearly all of the seeds germinated! Transplanted to sod pellets and small indoor pots last weekend.

I built a version of this tomato trellis last year. These are not my pictures - I forgot to take any of my trellis!

eyJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjcwMH19LCJidWNrZXQiOiJmaW5lZ2FyZGVuaW5nLnMzLnRhdW50b25jbG91ZC5jb20iLCJrZXkiOiJhcHBcL3VwbG9hZHNcLzIwMTRcLzA2XC8xNDAxMzg1N1wvRkcxNTctdG9tYXRvZXMtbWFpbi03MDB4NDY3LTcwMHg0NjcuanBnIn0=

what-do-i-do-when-they-reach-the-top-of-the-trellis-v0-lphyvjzz7wua1.jpg

I'm never going back to those silly cages again. I use a separate length of twine for each branch of the tomato plant, not just the main. Using this method, you gently wrap twine around the branch, tie the twine up top, and the branch grows up the twine. Separates things out, more air and sunlight get in, and much easier to harvest.

Has anyone else given up on slicer tomatoes? I've changed almost exclusively to cherry tomatoes. Grow faster, ripen quicker, produce a longer period of time. Too many bunnies and squirrels get to the larger tomatoes before they ripen anyway. Darn bunnies got all the baby watermelon last year too.

cherchezlaHOPE

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,052 184 10
Alleybux
I am going to plant some of my flowers next week. I didn't realize some plants can handle and prefer some cooler weather. I am going to plant the azaleas, hostas and astilbes. The cannas will definitely be planted in May.

I put potted up my lupines. I have so many; I may give some away or just create a bigger space for them.

Angel Salvadore

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
124,431 1,672 294
Alleybux
I haven’t started my gardening efforts yet this year but I am itching to begin. I moved at Christmas but I’m still close enough to my parents’ house to get the garden started in their raised beds. For them I’ll keep it simple. Mixed greens, carrots and peas in the spring. In the summer, squash, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and sunflowers because dad loves them. For myself, just flowers but maybe some herbs. I’m in the city now and I worry about rodents getting into them.

tallafrican

Barbecue addict.
Reaction score
Reactions
42,118 1,563 105
Alleybux
Has anyone else given up on slicer tomatoes? I've changed almost exclusively to cherry tomatoes. Grow faster, ripen quicker, produce a longer period of time. Too many bunnies and squirrels get to the larger tomatoes before they ripen anyway. Darn bunnies got all the baby watermelon last year too.
Lucky for me the rabbits eat other things like my okra and greens. I’m growing slicers and beefsteaks in addition to cherry tomatoes. I hate rabbits. They’re cute but very destructive.

tout et rien

All and Nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
71,792 1,511 698
Alleybux
I'm debating whether to buy some more canna this year. I have had mixed success over the years. Last year wasn't a good year for them. Don't know if it were the bulbs or something else. Since I wasn't that jazzed about them I left them in the ground over the winter. I tried to check them out the other day and they seem okay, but not sure what will happen if the spring is cold and wet. Indecision. But I think I will regret it more if I have none rather than having too many.

The Culture

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom