Lydia Dinga discussion thread

Reactions
6,374 150 41
Alleybux
I'm talking of the total value, regardless of whether she paid for it or not. The thing is she's shooting herself in the foot if the value of her house has now shot up way above what a similar property on the same road would cost when it comes to selling unless she plans to stay/keep the property for a long time.
In one of her vlogs, she said that although she only plans on staying in the house for a few years, she has no plans to sell it. When she moves, either her sister (or another family member) will stay there or she'll rent it out.
She wants to keep the house (like forever...ish)

Reactions
1,397 3 4
Alleybux
Meh. She's said several times that she doesn't plan to sell this house. She want to keep it and once she's done living there her sister will stay on. Granted, it's not her "forever" home but she more than entitled to waste her own money. Lol . She's not telling anyone else to do the same. I'm actually surprised at how open she's been, given how judgemental people are about how other people spend their money.

Reactions
43,575 1,351 396
Alleybux
If she had that kind of money to put into a house then she should have waited a few more months or a year and bought something that needed some cosmetic work and not nearly a full gut and rebuild. She has spent almost as much as she paid on the house to renovate it. That's awful.

Most people buy a new house and repaint, change a few fixtures, update the appliances and that's pretty much it. They are not doing expensive work on an already over priced home. Especially when they have no intention to live there for more than 5 years. This screams of a house flip. But people who flip houses by them for cheap and not at or above market value.

I think she got caught up and ended up doing way too much. She wanted to buy a house by a certain age and she settled for the first one she could afford. Not realizing that if she had waited a bit longer she could have bought something even better.

Reactions
20,547 514 144
Alleybux
If she had that kind of money to put into a house then she should have waited a few more months or a year and bought something that needed some cosmetic work and not nearly a full gut and rebuild. She has spent almost as much as she paid on the house to renovate it. That's awful.

Most people buy a new house and repaint, change a few fixtures, update the appliances and that's pretty much it. They are not doing expensive work on an already over priced home. Especially when they have no intention to live there for more than 5 years. This screams of a house flip. But people who flip houses by them for cheap and not at or above market value.

I think she got caught up and ended up doing way too much. She wanted to buy a house by a certain age and she settled for the first one she could afford. Not realizing that if she had waited a bit longer she could have bought something even better.

Just peeped the reno costs video (from a couple of months ago) and her kitchen cost £13k for the product alone?! That's a LOT for a kitchen that size, even if it does have lights etc.
And then the labour at that point had been £20k? Not including materials?? It's mad.

I really hope she does a total costs video as I'm itching to see the final figure now.

House flips are great fun but it's really important that they're sensible.
A project on this scale/done to this level of detail would make more sense in London/an area in really high demand, even if it was a 2 bed.

Yes she was.

The home counties? Not London? :eek:

Reactions
98,315 2,644 3,960
Alleybux
This last video was rubbish - she posted completed reno something something and the place is whole mess... never mind that. But 8 adds in 20 min vlog! Sis you are not ITV I didn’t go on YouTube for that nonsense ... tbh before all this boring house story I would let her add run and think - let sis make the coin,but it this point is just tooooo much, long and booooooring!

I just want to know how much the renovations cost, instead she just rumbles on about nothing.

Reactions
98,315 2,644 3,960
Alleybux

She bought the house at the right time because rich people and big companies are buying out run down houses or locations to build flats. Because in the next few months houses are going to become more expansive because recession will be next to hit.

CheddaChee$e
Reactions
11,435 301 33
Alleybux
Just watched Lydia’s bathroom reveal and it’s gorgeous. I’m glad she is able to enjoy the fruits of her labor. People always complain about not seeing black women in luxury so it’s weird seeing these comments. She’s a well off babe and she’s living like a well off babe. Not every time must something be relatable.

Reactions
2,199 11 1
Alleybux
Just watched Lydia’s bathroom reveal and it’s gorgeous. I’m glad she is able to enjoy the fruits of her labor. People always complain about not seeing black women in luxury so it’s weird seeing these comments. She’s a well off babe and she’s living like a well off babe. Not every time must something be relatable.
I don't think anyone has an issue with black women in luxury. Property development or renovation is a proven trade that follows a business model to be profitable and financially sustainable. You buy an affordable property, you do it up at an affordable cost to make profit, and you renovate appropriately to up the property's value.

Other people's comments in this thread ring pretty true, it's clear she has money, she probably has enough to get an additional property at this point, and could have renovated two affordable properties, or one larger property with the money spent. There's plenty of info about renovation out there, so people will comment when they see someone spending a lot on labour and materials.

When Lydia started her renovation series and discussing how she purchased her house, she actually was speaking about being relatable, helping other people see how she did it, give tips etc and selling it in the next 5 years. I think she's enjoyed splurging on the property and she's veered off that path and now planning to keep the property which is cool, the project's changed for her.

Reactions
69,241 854 215
Alleybux
So the thing about “Oh, Lydia is planning to keep the house so reno costs possibly blowing out the home appraisal amount is whatever” is that it really isn’t whatever.

Even if Dot moves in, is the plan that this will be Dot’s forever home? If or when Dot moves out and Lydia decides to rent the home, will it rent at the rate of whatever rentals go for in that area? Literally none of what Lydia is doing to this home can be considered in a vacuum.

She’s converting this home into a luxury space—and while it’s great for content and I really do like the bathroom transformation—and it may not make financial sense in the long run.

Reactions
34 3 13
Alleybux
Why does it matter to you if it makes financial sense ? I can never understand why people on the internet are so pressed about how someone chooses to spend her money.
Even if she sells it and makes a loss, it isn’t anyone’s business as she hasn’t come to any of you to beg for money .

you can unsubscribe from her channel. It’s really not that deep.
All I see is a bunch of people passing of bitterness as care.

you all need to do better

Reactions
69,241 854 215
Alleybux
Why does it matter to you if it makes financial sense ? I can never understand why people on the internet are so pressed about how someone chooses to spend her money.
Even if she sells it and makes a loss, it isn’t anyone’s business as she hasn’t come to any of you to beg for money .

Welcome to the Lydia Dinga discussion thread where people discuss things related to Lydia.

Reactions
Alleybux

That part!

Reactions
155 1
Alleybux

I feel you but I’m even learning a thing or two from people who have pointed out Lydia’s possible mistakes. It’s a thread to share various opinions at the end of the day, as long as people are sharing constructive criticism as opposed to blatant jealousy

Reactions
34 3 13
Alleybux
Yes I understand the learning aspect, but you can’t tell me this thread doesn’t reek of jealousy . There’s a thin line between giving actual constructive criticism and jealousy.

at first , it was disguised as care, and people wondering if she will be able to sell it without running at a loss( she hasn’t asked for anyone’s opinion by the way) and now after finding out that she no longer wishes to sell the property and plans on keeping it even after moving out, we now have people telling her how she should have bought a bigger house instead of this for a first time owner. The care suddenly shifted.

my point is , it isn’t anyone’s business if Lydia chooses to buy a ten storey building or one bedroom apartment. It is her money , and she can choose to do whatever she pleases with it. Good or bad. It is for her.
Now if you feel like you watch her videos and so are contributing to putting coins in her pocket, then don’t watch, so you don’t get pressed when she’s spending her money as she pleases.

keyword : her money! Simple

Reactions
28,158 113 43
Alleybux

This is a gossip site. We are commenting on what she’s doing. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

People come on LSA knowing exactly what kind of space it is and then get offended by it. I have no issues with differing opinions but the whole ‘why are you commenting on aspects of someone’s life that they’ve commodifying for public consumption to make money’ just sounds odd.

Reactions
2,966 3 2
Alleybux
Honestly we have to be open to learning. That is how we grow. Not everything that everyone comments on is hate or bitterness. It really isn't and we have to stop this narrative because it's actually holding us back, stopping us from picking up tried and tested advice that is based on financial sense that will ultimately benefit you in the long run. I love it when we win as black women and I was just as proud of Lydia when she picked up the keys to her house. All the advice I give is well-intentioned for any black woman who is reading and wants to learn. Because as black women, we don't have the luxury of making mistakes, we don't have inheritances or a system that favours us. So when big sisters, aunties or anyone who has gone through what I'm going through is saying something - it's best to pay attention and listen.

I'm a home owner, I bought and renovated my flat 4 years ago and I went through a similar process. Lots of other people have experience in the property development world and they are casting their opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. Especially when we have a safe space to go ahead and do so.

Reactions
20,547 514 144
Alleybux
Honestly we have to be open to learning. That is how we grow. Not everything that everyone comments on is hate or bitterness. It really isn't and we have to stop this narrative because it's actually holding us back, stopping us from picking up tried and tested advice that is based on financial sense that will ultimately benefit you in the long run. I love it when we win as black women and I was just as proud of Lydia when she picked up the keys to her house. All the advice I give is well-intentioned for any black woman who is reading and wants to learn. Because as black women, we don't have the luxury of making mistakes, we don't have inheritances or a system that favours us. So when big sisters, aunties or anyone who has gone through what I'm going through is saying something - it's best to pay attention and listen.

I'm a home owner, I bought and renovated my flat 4 years ago and I went through a similar process. Lots of other people have experience in the property development world and they are casting their opinions. Nothing more, nothing less. Especially when we have a safe space to go ahead and do so.

Yes to all of this!!

No one's saying that Lydia's renovation isn't lovely, nor that Black women not deserve luxury.
But as yuna's said, we don't all have the luxury of making mistakes when it comes to money.

It's great that influencers aim to "help us" by showing their processes but sometimes, by virtue of having lots of disposable income, they're a little removed from reality. And I really don't mean that in a shady way at all.

I don't know if anyone watches The Break (Patricia Bright's second channel) but she recently uploaded a renovation relating to one of her rental properties:
If you're interested in renovations, I'd really recommend watching it because she's done it up for only £23k in total.
Yes it's a flat and the renovation is "basic" (if you wanna call it that, I think it looks decent tbh) but it's also a good indicator of what can be done on a small budget or when flipping a property.
At the end of the vid, Pat has the flat revalued and WHEW I was shocked.

Things like resale value and your house's ceiling price are things that it's important to think about when buying/doing up a property, whether it's a first or forever home.

I think there's a misconception (thanks in part to social media) that renovations have to be really expensive to be really nice, but they don't always.

like XO
Reactions
16,791 313 65
Alleybux
I haven't been in this thread in a while BC the home reno is uninteresting to me, but this is one of the more constructive threads on LSA, I don't think anyone in here is a hater. Everyone loves Lydia as you can see in the first few pages. The criticism has been valid imo. The word hater gets thrown around too easily

like XO
Reactions
16,791 313 65
Alleybux

Extremely well said!

Reactions
893 7 3
Alleybux
The bathroom looks nice, would've been better if she showed more of the finished bathroom rather than quick shots that were repeated. I like the basin and unit, couldn't really see the bath. Bit odd that the flash plate is a different finish to the taps and shower head. Didn't see the finished floor tiles either, they did kind of remind me of the flooring in Tesco Acre Lane.

Reactions
20,547 514 144
Alleybux
Bathroom looks nice!! I like the tube-style tiles + Lydia was glowing too.

I see what you guys mean about the floor - terrazzo can be hit or miss...

Last edited:
Reactions
69,241 854 215
Alleybux
I haven't been in this thread in a while BC the home reno is uninteresting to me, but this is one of the more constructive threads on LSA, I don't think anyone in here is a hater. Everyone loves Lydia as you can see in the first few pages. The criticism has been valid imo. The word hater gets thrown around too easily
The critiques have been valid, particularly when you put them in context of Lydia having created a separate home IG and literally soliciting opinions from the followers there.

On top of that, Lydia was the one who said that she’d share the costs of the reno.

Now you have fonts in here claiming that someone is jUsT jEaLoUs for having opinions on the very thing that Lydia has asked subscribers and followers to engage for months,

like XO
Reactions
16,791 313 65
Alleybux
The critiques have been valid, particularly when you put them in context of Lydia having created a separate home IG and literally soliciting opinions from the followers there.

On top of that, Lydia was the one who said that she’d share the costs of the reno.

Now you have fonts in here claiming that someone is jUsT jEaLoUs for having opinions on the very thing that Lydia has asked subscribers and followers to engage for months,
I agree, she's openly sharing all of this information so it's only right that people would share their opinions. I don't see what's wrong with it, nothing particularly mean has been said. It's a home renovation, no one's talking about her looks or anything like that.

Reactions
30,611 416 169
Alleybux

Yeah I completely agree

Yes to all of this!!

No one's saying that Lydia's renovation isn't lovely, nor that Black women not deserve luxury.
But as yuna's said, we don't all have the luxury of making mistakes when it comes to money.

It's great that influencers aim to "help us" by showing their processes but sometimes, by virtue of having lots of disposable income, they're a little removed from reality. And I really don't mean that in a shady way at all.

I don't know if anyone watches The Break (Patricia Bright's second channel) but she recently uploaded a renovation relating to one of her rental properties:
If you're interested in renovations, I'd really recommend watching it because she's done it up for only £23k in total.
Yes it's a flat and the renovation is "basic" (if you wanna call it that, I think it looks decent tbh) but it's also a good indicator of what can be done on a small budget or when flipping a property.
At the end of the vid, Pat has the flat revalued and WHEW I was shocked.

Things like resale value and your house's ceiling price are things that it's important to think about when buying/doing up a property, whether it's a first or forever home.

I think there's a misconception (thanks in part to social media) that renovations have to be really expensive to be really nice, but they don't always.

OMG, yes this Patricia Bright video was gold. I remember when she first showed that flat her and Mike bought but after watching that video and seeing the price it cost to renovate, it really made me think about the potential some of these rundown places have... although not sure if it's a risk I would take NGL lol.

A lot of influencers can only WISH they had threads like Lydia's on this part of the board lol... it's really very tame. I've been following Lydia since she was in Vienna as a broke UN intern and had hundreds or so followers... if that. She is imo one of the more likeable 'influencers' but ultimately this is a discussion forum with the good and bad.

Reactions
43,575 1,351 396
Alleybux

She made it our buisness the moment she spoke about it. The moment she started uploading videos on it. Doing questions and answers. The moment she made a second Instagram dedicated solely to this new house and begged us to go follow. Begged us to go watch and like and share her content. This is our business. We have every right to discuss shit that people make public. It's not like we are doing this in her comments. This is a separate place that she doesn't even have to see unless she comes looking for it. We can like and support Lydia while also critiquing her.

Last edited:

The Culture

Celebrity News

Television Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Domo Wilson Thread IV
She is lying. She's delusional and a literal psycho. She did not have sex...are you kidding? This girl acts like a 14 yo romantically.
Trevor Noah Girlfriend?
https://instagram.com/stories/imseangallagher/2569973782058307967?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=xjvovk0guxzt Trevor photographer from tds lol
BLACK WOMEN ARE LOSING INTEREST IN BLACK MEN...
Mental illness. What you're doing should be considered a crime. You're sick in the head. You're enjoying this. You get a kick out of stalking and...
DMX & THE POUND : TEA on beloved rapper many side chicks, 9 bms & 17 kids.
I agree, she could have just posted a pic of DMX. I remember when X said on Drink Champs that Dominican pussy was the best pussy he ever had lol...
Mom says she dont want to see us until we are vaccinated!
This is tough..this whole covid situation was eventually going to come down to problems like this. Very messed up. I hope everything works out for...
I'm a Caregiver and I HATE IT!
Chi find that lady a facility and go bout your business...u can still visit and do xyz..dnt let ppl guilt u into continuing the madness
Random Thoughts 2021 Edition...
Can't stand dirty people Agree! I was just about to post about dirty people who think you're stupid and wanna talk like you don't know wtf they...
Top Bottom