Lyrically more interesting and stronger pen talent? Christina Aguilera or Mariah Carey

Better lyricist?

• Mariah

Votes: 50 89.3%
  • Christina

Votes: 6 10.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
91,460 9,757 5,226
Alleybux
Christina:
christina.jpg

vs
Mariah:
mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:686758

Both are known for their pen game, but who is strongest lyrically? Personally I choose Christina. Stripped alone is more interesting than most of Mariah's career.

Reactions
85,587 349 184
Alleybux
Mariah especially since she penned majority of her biggest hits. This is an unfair comparison and not even a race to be honest. Mariah would run laps around most of her peers in this department

christina penned game is good but she didn’t write most of her biggest hits

Reactions
94 1
Alleybux
Who lied to you and said Christina was known for her pen game? You mention Stripped but Matt Morris and Linda Perry carried that album with their pen game with Alicia Keys tossing in Impossible which she wrote and produced solely. Let me edit to say I'm a Christina fan but lets not get carried away.

Reactions
85,587 349 184
Alleybux
Who lied to you and said Christina was known for her pen game? You mention Stripped but Matt Morris and Linda Perry carried that album with their pen game with Alicia Keys tossing in Impossible which she wrote and produced solely.
This! Linda Perry is iconic. Her and Christina worked well together as you can tell with the success of Stripped and Back to Basics (ugh wish she would have extended this era: unamused:)

Reactions
32,756 1,605 981
Alleybux
Xtina pen game is mostly autobiographical (centerd on hardships, personal growth, inspiration)
Mariah is more pop references in pop culture and catch phrase heavey( Bobby Womack, Wendy interview, )

So they’re both great in a their own way

wrapped in the warm gentle breeze
Reactions
31,263 452 192
Alleybux
Xtina pen game is mostly autobiographical (centerd on hardships, personal growth, inspiration)
Mariah is more pop references in pop culture and catch phrase heavey( Bobby Womack, Wendy interview, )

So they’re both great in a their own way

False. Her songwriting is mostly autobiographical too. More so than xtina actually.

Reactions
32,756 1,605 981
Alleybux
I like that Mariah songs are actually clap backs or pre clap backs (Obsessed)

Though Christina has a few clapbacks ( Circles, Cant Hold Us Down, Best of Me, Fighter) most of her material that she rights are about abuse and breaking free of that abuse . ( Oh Mother, Im Ok, Birds of Prey, Empty Words, You Lost Me, stronger than Ever)

And of course “I will Be”

Reactions
1,845 16 29
Alleybux
I like that Mariah songs are actually clap backs or pre clap backs (Obsessed)

Though Christina has a few clapbacks ( Circles, Cant Hold Us Down, Best of Me, Fighter) most of her material that she rights are about abuse and breaking free of that abuse . ( Oh Mother, Im Ok, Birds of Prey, Empty Words, You Lost Me, stronger than Ever)

And of course “I will Be”

...What? They're both known for inspirational power ballads a la "Beautiful" and "One Sweet Day" or pop ditties a la "Fantasy" and "Genie in a Bottle". Most of their autobiographical work is hidden in their deep cuts. You're being silly.

Reactions
32,756 1,605 981
Alleybux
Christina's pen game have improved tremendously since "I will be"
but it's still the best song she's ever written .

sometimes it's the simplest song that gets people hearts

Last edited:
Reactions
1,656 15 17
Alleybux
Easily Mariah........ easily. Truly I think she prefers songwriting over singing in a way. It's such an intrinsic part of her creativity and not something she does for money or clout

Reactions
32,756 1,605 981
Alleybux
Christina needs to learn how to throw a few pop culture references in her songs like calgon/chicken heads/Wendy Williams/ ect.

She did once, when she referenced lady marmalade in the song Nasty Naughty Boy.

The Culture

Celebrity News

Television Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Games that scare the **** out of you?
I'm never gonna play Resident Evil Village. I can't handle horror games, horror films make laugh though. I don't have a PS4 or 5 but I'm...
East Africans, What do you love about being us?
I’m not East African but I really admire how stunningly gorgeous you all are. Lovely and diverse culture, music and food. Also y’all have a great...
BLACK WOMEN ARE LOSING INTEREST IN BLACK MEN...
All I see are black couples when I leave my house though. The high school black boys are with black girls too no matter how many times they say...
Ginuwine vs Tyrese?
What are we talking about here? I just see the names...
Mom says she dont want to see us until we are vaccinated!
Stop being a baby and get the vaccine. You don’t know the long term effects of covid either but for some reason you’re not worried at all about...
Joe Budden: I'll Name This Podcast Later
Why are women afraid of Joe Budden? Get together, lawyer up, and go after the bitch. It’s literally astounding how Joe hasn’t been set up yet...
The Keanu Reeves Discussion Thread
K and her hair a whole story Yes, but look at the last photo! No one of us used to care about his hair back then . He looked perfection. His eyes...
Anyone know what relaxer Seun Okimi uses?
I think she use ors. She recently bcd and is natural Update: I reached out to her on TikTok and she told me that she used Just For Me.
Top Bottom